Benjamin Mendy charged with eight counts of rape against five women | Released on Bail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Why do these threads get locked btw?
I think it is often for how hard the condemnation is for an alleged crime. Now with no bail, there has to be pretty solid charges.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Sunderland continued to play Adam Johnson even after he admitted to the staff what he had done.
Did he? I swear I recall Allardyce saying he maintained his innocence with the club until pretty much the last minute.

stw2022

Wonder if the club knew this was coming or if it came as a surprise. Of course they’d have known of the incident (at least from the players side) and investigation but were they expecting this or was the feeling this would just be dropped and go away?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Our company once worked with a PR company. The guy was telling me I wouldn't believe the amount of shit football clubs keep under wraps.

Classical Mechanic

Being named is unusual.

Being locked up as well.

They must have a fairly strong case.
Part of his bail conditions for the first alleged crime were not to have house parties which he continued to do. He was then accused of sexually assaulting a 17 year old at one in January and raping someone else this week. His bail was rejected on the basis that he can’t be trusted not to (allegedly) offend again.

Josep Dowling

Part of his bail conditions for the first alleged crime were not to have house parties which he continued to do. He was then accused of sexually assaulting a 17 year old at one in January and raping someone else this week. His bail was rejected on the basis that he can’t be trusted not to (allegedly) offend again.
If true this is absolutely shocking. To think Mendy had everything a man could dream to have and he’s thrown that away!

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Unbelievable.
Even before his case his heard, surely City have grounds to sack him. What kind of home does this guy come from? How can one be this irresponsible?

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I think it is often for how hard the condemnation is for an alleged crime. Now with no bail, there has to be pretty solid charges.
The threads get locked because in the UK it is an offence to publish anything that could influence a jury in anyway, especially once the case is active.

This is something that newspapers often push the boundary over. In other words saying X is guilty or Y happened in a public forum can be seen as potentially illegal as there’s nothing to stop jurors reading this thread.

As for bail and naming him, this doesn’t reflect on the strength of the case. It is absolute standard to name a defendant when he or she is charged.

As for bail the judge deciding wouldn’t deny bail on the strength of a case, the merits of the case aren’t discussed at this point, but it could be denied over possibilities that the defendant could break any bail conditions or potentially offend again amongst other reasons.

Widow

I suppose I would find the presumption of innocence to be a poor excuse though considering he was out on bail?
The presumption of innocence is our constitutional right, not a poor excuse.

Doesn't work like that.

I had a family member who was suspended from their job pending investigation into a rape allegation. His estranged wife basically decided to try to ruin his life, when he told his employer what had happened he got told it was company policy to suspend him until the outcome.

Needless to say the case was dropped due to no evidence found of any wrongdoing (after 6 months) and he got his job back.

But each company will be different, but generally it seems to be common practice.
I can relate as I've been through the exact same thing with my brother in-law. 18 month it took for them to find there was no case to answer. They have been married for 16 years too. His place of work stood by him and he worked throughout (pandemic allowing)

Them keeping him locked up until the trial is unusual for "stars".
He must be seen as a flight risk or a serious risk to the public maybe?

Being named is unusual.

Being locked up as well.

They must have a fairly strong case.
Agreed

You can be named in the UK when charged.

Not unusual to be refused bail either especially if he's breached it previously and committed other offences.
The charge for breach of bail conditions whas dropped in court though right? You must first establish if there was an actually breach to be denied bail for one. Maybe he was deemed a danger to the public because of the new allocation.

I imagine it's how people write their posts. Legally we have to use terms like 'alleged' when discussing what may have happened. I also imagine the CAF have to protect themselves from possible prosecution as we must assume innocence until proven otherwise.

The legal test for refusing bail is high. The CPS must have a strong case for a Judge to remove his liberty.

Last edited:

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
What a surprise, a man who normally lives in the lap of luxury finds 48 hours in prison to be a bit of a culture shock. I think that's the point of prison.

Wilt

What a surprise, a man who normally lives in the lap of luxury finds 48 hours in prison to be a bit of a culture shock. I think that's the point of prison.
And he‘d better get used to it, if found guilty.

K Stand Knut

Wait what? There was a new incident in last week as well? I thought they were charges from the past
Yeah it's messed up. One of the alleged offences occured in the past week. It beggars belief.
He was arrested last year for an allegation and was on bail for those offences.

He was then arrested this week (Thursday, I believe) for a further allegation that led to him being charged and remanded.

I remember the initial rumours about it all because people were saying it was Greenwood who had been arrested.

Pep's Suit

So he was arrested three times and City still allowed him to be a part of the team. It's absolutely sickening and I have no idea what's been happening at the club for months now. Also how they handled Walker's actions during first lockdown etc. They always claim how they study characters of potential signings but it seems like they're trying to add some of the most stupid, childish cretins of the football world now.

Brophs

The One and Only
So he was arrested three times and City still allowed him to be a part of the team. It's absolutely sickening and I have no idea what's been happening at the club for months now. Also how they handled Walker's actions during first lockdown etc. They always claim how they study characters of potential signings but it seems like they're trying to add some of the most stupid, childish cretins of the football world now.
Let he who hasn’t organised a gangbang during lockdown cast the first stone.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
Seems kind of crazy that he has been playing for city recently, who I presume know all about this. Innocent until proven guilty is important but why risk it for a shit fullback with half a knee?

Tarrou

he was still playing after being arrested the first time

not three times

For anyone interested

I don't think he's going to be too bothered about that if HM's Government is going to be looking after him for the next few decades.

crossy1686

career ending
So he's being held because he couldn't follow the terms set out by his bail? Whether he did or did not do it, he's a fecking moron if that's the case

crossy1686

career ending
Seems kind of crazy that he has been playing for city recently, who I presume know all about this. Innocent until proven guilty is important but why risk it for a shit fullback with half a knee?
Not to defend dickheads who think because they have money and status every girl wants to sleep with them, but I'm sure there's a fair share of women looking for some quick "shut up and go away" cash also, so maybe it's fairly common? Not many footballers get done for this in the end which probably says a lot about the justice system and it's view on rape/sexual assault more than anything...

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Usually when cases are still being investigated and people can’t be named. I think The Caf can get into trouble if someone “accidentally” names that person so they rightly get locked and a big warning is announced on the homepage. However, after someone has been charged they can be named so maybe it’s something like that. Maybe a mod can clarify.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Can't believe he allegedly atttacked someone as recent as last week while already having 3 counts of rape against him.

Did he think he's above the law with all the money and fame or is there some kind of serious underlying pshylogical problem(s)?

Maybe combination of both in the end if this confirms to be true. Even if it doesn't he seems like he's walking stereotype of stupid, carless football player.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
What? They said they were willing to pay 50k immediately if they were granted bail. That's 50k of whatever the bail is set as, not a bribe.
My post was unecessary provocative.

Serious question: what happens if they can't pay 50k?

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
For anyone interested

Also see Adrien Mutu, not sure if his case is still ongoing at echr.

No one should be commenting on Mendy. Just wait and see what happens at his trial.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
What? They said they were willing to pay 50k immediately if they were granted bail. That's 50k of whatever the bail is set as, not a bribe.
In th UK, "bail" is a set of conditions (eg don't leave your town) rather than a monetary payment.

I'm pretty sure bail bonds (like you get in the USA) aren't a thing in the UK.

Happy to be corrected on this of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.