Benjamin Pavard

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Shame. I think he could have been really good for you.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Bayern need a replacement... enter, Harry Reginald Maguire.

Robertd0803

I think I was more annoyed losing out on Tobido to be honest, but he was never going to hang around at Bayern.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Such a shitty few weeks to be a United fan.

Hopefully it gets better from here.

Bubz27

It's quite embarrassing to be in a position we can't afford €30m but that's the cost of years of poor spending and planning.

Judas

Open to offers
It's quite embarrassing to be in a position we can't afford €30m but that's the cost of years of poor spending and planning.
Yep. People can whinge at Maguire, but he’s not the true reason we’re in this mess. The club has been managed terribly from bottom to top. How Manchester United is having to operate like this is a joke.

Blood Mage

Thank god, we didn't need another aerially poor, slow and weak CB. We already have Maguire, Lindelof and Martinez (who's at least incredible on the ball to make up for it)

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It would be embarrassing if we didn't spend hundreds of millions this summer. Also the issue here is more that we don't have the space in the team more than not having money which is a bigger mismanagement issue, we overvalue our fringe or underperforming players and find ourselves in the current situation when we finally decide that we want to sell. In Football it's often better to sell a "good" player then wait for him to be bad.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
You literal cannot force a player against his will out of the club. It is legally impossible. Why can’t this forum understand that?
How can't you understand that you can:
A) push player out by telling him that you don't count on him and that he will be frozen on the bench/reserves.
B) You can negotiate. With club and a player. Ask more money from buying club. Ask less money from buying club. Give player some money to leave.

People like you obviously don't have a clue what proper Dof does and can do.

parmenio

A) push player out by telling him that you don't count on him and that he will be frozen on the bench/reserves.
B) You can negotiate. With club and a player. Ask more money from buying club. Ask less money from buying club. Give player some money to leave.

Yeah that worked really well at Barca last season with Frenkie. Then Laporte later has the cheek to say he’s a jewel and we’re never selling

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away

Both points are moot if the player digs his heels in and says I’m not leaving. Both those points hinge on the player actually being open to moving. Maguire does not want to move. (At this moment in time) he’s made that very clear.

Bubz27

It would be embarrassing if we didn't spend hundreds of millions this summer. Also the issue here is more that we don't have the space in the team more than not having money which is a bigger mismanagement issue, we overvalue our fringe or underperforming players and find ourselves in the current situation when we finally decide that we want to sell. In Football it's often better to sell a "good" player then wait for him to be bad.
Nah, it's still embarrassing. I reckon Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea and City (all spent over a hundred like us) could muster up €30M if their manager wanted a player. We're in a situation where we can't buy a squad player for our manager after spending fairly well this summer, to say we haven't massively overpaid for anyone this summer.

The other points are totally valid as well though.

Highfather_24

I sincerely believe Chelsea would have had zero problems with getting rid of Maguire. Its about getting things done, there's always a way.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The club should have paid Maguire off or accepted adding Pavard before we got rid of him for the sake of the upcoming season. Arnold and Murtough master class right here.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Nah, it's still embarrassing. I reckon Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea and City (all spent over a hundred like us) could muster up €30M if their manager wanted a player. We're in a situation where we can't buy a squad player for our manager after spending fairly well this summer, to say we haven't massively overpaid for anyone this summer.

The other points are totally valid as well though.
We have spent big this summer and the last - Antony and Hojlund in particular. But what people don’t realise is how many players on big wages that we’ve let go - Pogba, Ronaldo and DDG alone is an astronomical amount of wages that we’ve cut down. So there’s no reason for us to be so poor at selling efficiently and taking a hit here and there when needed to get other stuff done.

First Kim and now Pavard -we seem unable to land any targets for our defence.

Bubz27

We have spent big this summer and the last - Antony and Hojlund in particular. But what people don’t realise is how many players on big wages that we’ve let go - Pogba, Ronaldo and DDG alone is an astronomical amount of wages that we’ve cut down. So there’s no reason for us to be so poor at selling efficiently and taking a hit here and there when needed to get other stuff done.

First Kim and now Pavard -we seem unable to land any targets for our defence.
Yes we have spent big, but the point is so have others. Chelsea just easily spent another €20m yesterday on a backup GK (or agreed a deal anyway). The point is so have others but if an opportunity to get a target for €30m came up, they could take it. It doesn't seem that we can and to be in that position is quite embarrassing for such a huge club.

Does that mean we are operating at our absolute limit financially? In terms of transfers at least. That's not really a good way to be operating.