Benjamin Pavard

Bondi77

Scored a cracker of a goal at the Aviva against Ireland back in March.

Good going forward and comfortable in possession.

Was it world cup 2018 he played in few years back and won it and he was great at it. Alot of people raved about him for his performances if I remember.
The common consensus on here is that international football is irrelevant when analysing a player.

Bondi77

If we have big hopes for young Willy then the best move is Evans as it gives us cover in the CB department and time for Willy to get a full season at u21 an possibly integrated into the first team squad next season.

Abraxas

The common consensus on here is that international football is irrelevant when analysing a player.
I think it requires a bit more nuanced consideration than that.

If they mostly play well in qualifiers against Andorra and the like it's not too exciting.

If they are performers in teams that win a World Cup then that is notable for me. You wouldn't base everything on that but it's part of a picture alongside club form that shows the class of player.

croadyman

There seems to be a feeling amongst some he's no better at RB than AWB/Dalot (don't agree),however in that case then we clearly need to go for Todibo who is the CB

Someone

Something
Pavard is a top player. Obviously better than AWB and Dalot. Great experience at a good age. I'm a bit surprised that this is a possibility and I'll be extremely impressed if we get this over the line.

Abraxas

It's important he is actually sold on the role. I don't know if there's truth that he's sick of playing RB, or whether he is happy to cover it, but he does have a right to say that to a club and to have an expectation it will be delivered.

It's really part of a package that would attract a player, alongside money and other benefits. The same way that a player wants to be aware of their playing time. They don't get a guarantee at a top club necessarily, but the manager has to convince and make them feel wanted. If he makes it clear what position he wants and you go against it routinely (I'm sure he wouldn't mind the odd cover for the team) then a player would have a right to get annoyed with it. So for us to build up Pavard as covering all bases - it really depends. He might be seen by ETH as a CB and it is pitched to the player that way as well.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Pavard is a top player. Obviously better than AWB and Dalot. Great experience at a good age. I'm a bit surprised that this is a possibility and I'll be extremely impressed if we get this over the line.
As mentioned by others, the main issue is that Pavard will to move is linked to not playing RB or at least not playing as much. Will he be convinved by the idea of being the starting RB and Varane's primary alternative? Or is he totally against the idea of being seen as the starting RB?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Isn't he better than both of our options at right back at the moment?
Neither have ever been as good as Pavard, so yeah. But the question was amusing because Pavard has mainly been used as a RB.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
We should be getting a quick centre back who is strong in the air to replace Maguire. With the potential to be first choice over Varane.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Anyways pavard would be ideal, good enough to be our starting right back and a decent enough center back, relives us of the need to buy two players when we could do it with one.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Pavard also said he wanted to experience a new league, so he’s not leaving Bayern solely to become a CB elsewhere and there’s no way he’s in talks with us expecting to usurp Varane, a player he’s never ever been better than, so there has to be some kind of understanding he’ll either get PT as cover at CB, or he’ll be “vying” for the RB spot with two players who haven’t a hope against him, guaranteeing him PT regardless.

The guy wouldn’t be coming here on a prayer or to sit on our bench and I doubt he thinks Varane’s decrepit enough that he can take his spot directly.

AneRu

We should be getting a quick centre back who is strong in the air to replace Maguire. With the potential to be first choice over Varane.
This signing, if it works out, will allow us time and space to scout for a top CB and top RB to come in as starters next summer when we no longer have the pressure of needing four or five players in one go. Lindelof was a good deputy for Varane over expended periods and there is no reason he can't continue in the same vein for one more season, at least.

Superunknown

Guys, I'm all in. I've already convinced myself that he's coming.

Bonjour, Benjy. :drool:

Alemar

Pavard would be not an impressive signing by any means. We’d rather get Todibo or Tabsoba

jamesjimmybyrondean

Would prefer Todibo. I don’t get the call for him to be right back. He’s not the type to be bombing down the wing and sending crosses and cutbacks in. He’s not going to be much of an upgrade on Awb or Dalot in terms of attacking fullbacks

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
This signing, if it works out, will allow us time and space to scout for a top CB and top RB to come in as starters next summer when we no longer have the pressure of needing four or five players in one go. Lindelof was a good deputy for Varane over expended periods and there is no reason he can't continue in the same vein for one more season, at least.
We definitely need a right back (I wouldn't have renewed Dalot) but getting something in between a RB and CB for what is a physically weak squad would be a mistake in my opinion.

Zed is not dead

Huge question marks over Pavard for me.
He’s an inconsistent performer, which is a concern for a 27yo defender. Also I’m not too sure about his mentality.

He’s rather average at defending, good but not exceptional, while offering close to nothing when played on the right.
To me he’s on par with Lindelof in terms of defensive abilities.

Enigma_87

You know who
So 27 years old Pavard most likely will be less expensive than Maguire :lol: You can’t make that up.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Would be brilliant in our system and can be the inverted RB that most of the top teams are using these days. A back 5 of Onana, Shaw, Martinez, Varane and Pavard sounds brilliant! Make it happen.

croadyman

I've gone on a full journey with this transfer just today, but I am leaning towards Todibo as my preferred option.
Yeah I know what you mean,only reason I am leaning towards Pavard because I'm not sure Erik knows who he wants to succeed Varane yet