Benjamin Pavard

CM

That would work if Pavard would only want United. But…
If he doesn't we move onto other targets.

I think this transfer should be contingent on what position Pavard actually wants to play anyway. If he wants to predominantly play CB as some reports suggest, I think there would be more value in us pursuing other targets like Todibo. If he's happy to continue playing RB, Pavard would be a more interesting proposition. The Maguire transfer stalling complicates things, but in an ideal world we'd be selling him plus one of Dalot/Wan-Bissaka to make room for two players joining in those positions.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Inter is allegedly offering €25m. Surely United cannot be that broken to not be able to pay at least the same.

RopersReturn

Surely we must have an extra £25m hidden in under the back of the sofa? Unless of course the Maguire issues have really thrown a spanner in that is ?

Alemar

We've already had a bid rejected for that amount.
It doesn’t mean Inter’s bid get rejected, though. Clubs reject our first bids (and second bids) always regardless of the amount on offer - simply because we always go up to 3rd or 4th bid and clubs know it :)

Waynne

we need midfielders...we don't need another fecking defender
We're a Varane injury away from Harry stepping into the CB role. I'm sure you don't want that to happen against teams Like City, Pool, Chelsea, Brighton and Arsenal.

Plastic Evra

i get the feeling Pavard/Amrabat are gonna be deadline day signings

EDIT: Weirdly can’t get tweets to show up. Elon broke it.

| NEW: Erik ten Hag convinced Benjamin Pavard on a move to #mufc by guaranteeing the player a starting role at centre-back. Harry Maguire has blocked the transfer. [@lequipe]

https://x.com/centredevils/status/1692424142761652567?s=46&t=eCh5Esnz8Fe5EecBqMstPA
Maguire is the real DoF confirmed ! It's probably an innocent turn of phrase here but it's not gonna help with those holding the Magz responsible of our woes.

Devil77

i get the feeling Pavard/Amrabat are gonna be deadline day signings

EDIT: Weirdly can’t get tweets to show up. Elon broke it.

| NEW: Erik ten Hag convinced Benjamin Pavard on a move to #mufc by guaranteeing the player a starting role at centre-back. Harry Maguire has blocked the transfer. [@lequipe]

https://x.com/centredevils/status/1692424142761652567?s=46&t=eCh5Esnz8Fe5EecBqMstPA
Sounds weird. Was the plan to move Martinez to midfield then? Can’t see that ETH would drop Varane or Martinez.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Sounds weird. Was the plan to move Martinez to midfield then? Can’t see that ETH would drop Varane or Martinez.
Three at the back with Pavard being RCB? So basically the same position he played at Bayern.

Crimson King

He's not coming now Maguire is staying. We won't sign a CB until next summer now.

Pavard will probably go to Inter.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

Am I understanding this correctly? A guaranteed starting XI position or guaranteed to be utilised as a centre back. I know Varane will miss games this season and won't be able to play every 3-4 days, but there are higher priority matches and I would find it surprising that ETH would drop either Varane or Martinez for Pavard. Would he go with a back three?

redshaw

You never know if Varane could be phased out for next season or two or moves to Saudi. ETH might be looking at Pavard for the next 3 years.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
You never know if Varane could be phased out for next season or two or moves to Saudi. ETH might be looking at Pavard for the next 3 years.
Varane is playing very well for us and generally if he is on a game a week his fitness is decent.

redshaw

Varane is playing very well for us and generally if he is on a game a week his fitness is decent.
I'm talking about the future and a possibility of what Pavard may have been told, the article is probably rubbish anyway, Just hypotheticals, we don't know. Currently Varane is playing well and I'm happy he's here.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I'm talking about the future and a possibility of what Pavard may have been told, the article is probably rubbish anyway, Just hypotheticals, we don't know. Currently Varane is playing well and I'm happy he's here.
Doubt Pavard writes off a season to start featuring regularly next season personally

Von Mistelroum

Don't see this (or any other) signings happening now. We had £100m to spend as was widely reported and even with sales so far, we've spent over this amount. We'll need to sell at least two more players at reasonable prices to be able to spend at all.

redshaw

Doubt Pavard writes off a season to start featuring regularly next season personally
He would be playing at RB and covering for CB and perhaps starting at CB for various other games.

What are you even suggesting then?

spiriticon

Varane is 30 and Pavard is 27.

We'll want someone much younger than Pavard to replace Varane long-term.

ShinjiNinja26

Am I understanding this correctly? A guaranteed starting XI position or guaranteed to be utilised as a centre back. I know Varane will miss games this season and won't be able to play every 3-4 days, but there are higher priority matches and I would find it surprising that ETH would drop either Varane or Martinez for Pavard. Would he go with a back three?
It’s all irrelevant now, slabhead put paid to that.

ROFLUTION

A bit annoyed how Chelsea can just throw big money around, but we cant. He doesnt cost much, neither does Amrabat, Joao Felix on loan for a position in which we’re skint cost 7-8m.

waza7111

A bit annoyed how Chelsea can just throw big money around, but we cant. He doesnt cost much, neither does Amrabat, Joao Felix on loan for a position in which we’re skint cost 7-8m.
They've sold £220 million worth of players this transfer window which allows them to spend big.

We have barely got a penny from player sales in comparison.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He would be playing at RB and covering for CB and perhaps starting at CB for various other games.

What are you even suggesting then?
But he doesnt want to be RB all the time, if I'm not mistaken?
I'm suggesting the tweet is BS and they want to fill their quota of having random news out

theballisround

That would be just fine with Martinez actually dropping into midfield and helping out. I think it's our only chance to improve the team if we get no other transfers.

redshaw

It was brought up earlier but a Ioan with an obligation to buy could be worked out, he just extends his Bayern contract for a year. Depends if wages are still a problem for FFP as we have a huge squad already.

We're not that desperate and we have to see what other teams offer.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)

It’s good to have options. Look at City. They have Dias, Stones and Gvardiol.

Strelok

This tweet doesn't make any sense tbh. Why Maguire staying blocked the deal when he is defenitely not our starting RCB?

spiriticon

A defender usually reach his prime around 25-30 so dont see this as a good argument. You’d want a defender in his prime.
Not while Varane is here on a large contract. We want a defender that will peak when Varane is around 33-34 as he is on the last years of his contract.

If Pavard and Varane are here at the same time, one of the them will be a costly bench option. If Varane is sold, fair enough replace him with someone equally experienced, but until then it is better to invest in promising youth options.

Houdini

It's guaranteed CB position. Not a guaranteed starter. If he starts, he plays as CB. Simple.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

No way Ten Hag would guarantee anyone a XI position

Houdini

It's fine but not as a replacement for Varane. By the time Varane retires, we'll have to replace Pavard as he won't be long after.
Varane can easely end in Saudi league the next season. He wants "at least one more year of Europe football".

spiriticon

Varane can easely end in Saudi league the next season. He wants "at least one more year of Europe football".
If Varane goes, fair enough replace him with a player in his peak. But I'd say going from Varane at CB to Pavard at CB is a bit of a downgrade.