Benjamin Sesko | Despite Raees best efforts he’s joining Liepzig. Damn you Raees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If we do sign Sesko then I'm expecting the final fee to be higher than when Salzburg sold Ayedemi. And the reason for that is due to Salzburg wanting to keep Sesko for another season to maximise his value.

For us the the equation is that we either move for him early (current window) or risk paying more in a years time with even more competition from rival clubs when Salzburg will have planned to sell him.

This potential transfer has to be seen as one where we move a season early to beat out the competition for a player that will likely garner even more interest next season.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
If we do sign Sesko then I'm expecting the final fee to be higher than when Salzburg sold Ayedemi. And the reason for that is due to Salzburg wanting to keep Sesko for another season to maximise his value.

For us the the equation is that we either move for him early (current window) or risk paying more in a years time with even more competition from rival clubs when Salzburg will have planned to sell him.

This potential transfer has to be seen as one where we move a season early to beat out the competition for a player that will likely garner even more interest next season.
I don’t think you lose making transfers like this. You will never make a huge loss going in too early if it doesn’t work out. It costs more to get them in once the player explodes than it does to sell a “flop” even when they cost you 50 million. The other major thing is it bodes well if we've got one right and identified them earlier than the competition. we believe the other big teams will inevitably be after him soon and moving earlier is the only way we can be sure he’ll chose us. Hopefully a sign the club will spotting better players with a longer term vision and being a lot more decisive when we do move.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I don’t think you lose making transfers like this. You will never make a huge loss going in too early if it doesn’t work out. It costs more to get them in once the player explodes than it does to sell a “flop” even when they cost you 50 million. The other major thing is it bodes well if we've got one right and identified them earlier than the competition. we believe the other big teams will inevitably be after him soon and moving earlier is the only way we can be sure he’ll chose us. Hopefully a sign the club will spotting better players with a longer term vision and being a lot more decisive when we do move.
Agreed.

swissgenius

It depends on the fee, I share your thoughts on this if we're talking about 15-25 Mio.

But 45 Mio is "finished product" money, teenagers that moved for those kind of sums were already starting for top teams or putting up ridiculous numbers in tier 2 leagues.

If he scores 25 goals like Haaland, Daka, Adeyemi did before their moves, and that's a big IF, he's worth the quoted £45M at most in the free market. And that would be the highest anyone has ever moved for in the leagues history.
So we are paying 45 now because we fear he could be worth almost 45 next summer?
We're just taking the risk from Salzburg if they sell us the projected end product a year in advance. We gain nothing by paying up front but lose a lot if he gets injured or doesn't perform.

redcucumber

Greenwood scored ten goals from 3.6xg in the league that year. He was WAY-overperforming and scoring unsustainably improbable goals. We don't have xG data available for the Austrian Bundesliga but not really fair to compare Greenwood to Sesko because Greenwood was on a once in a lifetime hot streak as oppose to scoring at his true level.
How was it possible to know what his 'true' level was? He was a teenager who had just broken out - there was no precedence.

saik

Is he highly rated enough to justify the price tag?
By all accounts he is. But he hasn't had his breakout season yet and that is why those fees mentioned are ridiculous. We are only seeing those fees because Salzburg don't want to sell(they already sold Adeyemi) and their season has already started.

Edit : Looks like I'm contradicting myself here, in my view right now that price tag is not justifiable until he has a breakout season .

Red the Bear

Something less generic
By all accounts he is. But he hasn't had his breakout season yet and that is why those fees mentioned are ridiculous. We are only seeing those fees because Salzburg don't want to sell(they already sold Adeyemi) and their season has already started.

Edit : Looks like I'm contradicting myself here, in my view right now that price tag is not justifiable until he has a breakout season .
Fair enough, we either be really happy with this transfer a few years from now on or banging our heads for doing so.

RedOrange

It depends on the fee, I share your thoughts on this if we're talking about 15-25 Mio.

But 45 Mio is "finished product" money, teenagers that moved for those kind of sums were already starting for top teams or putting up ridiculous numbers in tier 2 leagues.

If he scores 25 goals like Haaland, Daka, Adeyemi did before their moves, and that's a big IF, he's worth the quoted £45M at most in the free market. And that would be the highest anyone has ever moved for in the leagues history.
So we are paying 45 now because we fear he could be worth almost 45 next summer?
We're just taking the risk from Salzburg if they sell us the projected end product a year in advance. We gain nothing by paying up front but lose a lot if he gets injured or doesn't perform.
If he scores 25 goals in the Bundesliga this year, his price tag will be £60M+ next season. Haaland went to City for that much because he had a release clause, otherwise BVB would have demanded Jadon Sancho money. Liverpool just bought Darwin Nunez for £67M. Unless something weird happens to PL teams in the next 12 months £45 million probably won't be enough to buy a blue chip striker.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks

Agree with you. He would need excellent season in which he will also impress in CL to go much above £45M. Think we are paying the ridiculous money (if we do eventually) out of fear he will have lots of clubs after him next summer and he might opt for someone else. Maybe it is also sign of Ronaldo leaving because buying and loaning him back to Salzburg would probably make the most sense otherwise (and would also lower the fee).

It is risky though, most of the clubs take us to the cleaners and this will just push them further in the same direction. And not to mention that he is really far from finished product and many things can go wrong in his development. A huge gamble in any case, so we would need to trust our scouts if this one goes through. I must say, if am not looking at the price tag, I like the look of him.

Chief123

His agent was in Manchester today :D

“Agent Benjamin Sesko, Elvis Basanovic, was pictured in Manchester today with his colleagues at an event. (RV)”

USREDEVIL

Only seen him on yotube :wenger:
Nice ball handling skills, can keep and move the ball well, looks good at buildup. Finishing probably needs work but looks like a handful.

Chief123

Nice ball handling skills, can keep and move the ball well, looks good at buildup. Finishing probably needs work but looks like a handful.
Ironically that sounds like a description of Anthony Martial :lol:

croadyman

Does this one get done before FDJ? Maybe we should all migrate over here……
IF we are genuinely in for him then this deal would definitely get done before De Jong because there's less red tape involved

croadyman

This guy probably will demand playing time and won't be ready to warm bench or play u23. It would be interesting how ETH will convince him to join.
Can see Erik telling him he will be the main striker whatever happens with Ronaldo

Ali Dia

He’ll be a starter by Christmas. We are currently the biggest club that can give him first team football, a lot of money and El football to bed him in. The successor to Ronadlo. That’s our pitch. He would have more choice if he hits 20 this season in Austria and keeps developing well. We are simply banking that he would have and jumping to the front of the line over potentially more attractive clubs in the future and avoided a bidding war. I like it. It’s not cheap but if we’ve flagged him up and he turns out to be class it’s a bargain and a victory for the scouting and recruitment team. If not we just go back to the drawing board and keep trying to find the next big thing until we strike gold.

For a club in transition like ours i believe it’s about bespoke talent identification and acquisition. We will need to be decisive and take some risks to catch up. Keep the stagnant talent moving. We need to sell a few this window for sure and make some extra room for the youth. If we do get Sesko and FDJ its gone from an underwhelming kind of window to a very solid window with some guanine world class potential added to the group.

Last edited:

AkaAkuma

I think it’s nailed on that he would score a lot of goals in the Austrian league if he stayed there.
He’d follow a similar trajectory as to all the other strikers coming through at Salzburg and playing for a hugely dominant team in that league.

what marks him as different to the others would be his skill set and output at Liefering.

croadyman

I like the fact he needs to work on his finishing and fully expect Benni to help him massively with that IF he signs of course

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
We’ve spent 49m on AWB, 35m+5m on VDB and 25m+15m on Diallo not long ago based on more or less similar reasons, these are the sort of signings we considered won’t make a huge loss out of it and would be good to take based on potential alone. But these are also the sort of signings which could add up badly (up to 130m loss over these 3 transfers we wont be playing much this season) and would become costly to us too. Not to mention other clubs may follow the precedence and take us to the cleaners should we interest in their potential but unproven youngsters in future.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
His agent was in Manchester today :D

“Agent Benjamin Sesko, Elvis Basanovic, was pictured in Manchester today with his colleagues at an event. (RV)”

Well, it's one for the money, two for the show
Three to get ready now go, cat, go

Ali Dia

We’ve spent 49m on AWB, 35m+5m on VDB and 25m+15m on Diallo not long ago based on more or less similar reasons, these are the sort of signings we considered won’t make a huge loss out of it and would be good to take based on potential alone. But these are also the sort of signings which could add up badly (up to 130m loss over these 3 transfers we wont be playing much this season) and would become costly to us too. Not to mention other clubs may follow the precedence and take us to the cleaners should we interest in their potential but unproven youngsters in future.
We’ve since fired the manager,, the scouts and appointed a dof, assistant dof and improved the data team since any of those transfers were made. We need to trust that we are going to go in the right direction now instead of looking back at how we were treading water. I think we are being charged so much because RB know Sesko looks a potential world class player and that should excite the fans. Haaland had a release clause. Daka and Adeymi look talented but completely different players.

Last edited:

croadyman

Just hoping this and maybe a RB too can pick up pace, will help make the next few weeks of the De Jong saga seem a little quicker

In Rainbows

Greenwood scored ten goals from 3.6xg in the league that year. He was WAY-overperforming and scoring unsustainably improbable goals. We don't have xG data available for the Austrian Bundesliga but not really fair to compare Greenwood to Sesko because Greenwood was on a once in a lifetime hot streak as oppose to scoring at his true level.
True, but further context is that United didn't create too many great chances for him and great strikers will overperform that statistic because it's based on a sample size that includes inferior goal scorers.

OmarUnited4ever

I get that they want to maximize his value, but the moment United registered an interest, that means they can demand a good fee, as much as the highest fee they ever received and the best they ever got was €30M for Adeyemi from Dortmund, who took a while to agree to that fee because Dortmund thought it was a lot as well, so it seems very unrealistic for them to demand €50M for a someone like Sesko, who hasn't done much at all even if he has great potential, but as other posters said, if it is a total of €50M, and it is heavily loaded with add-ons (upfront fee is €25M), then sure, that is something worth going for.

Strelok

How does he compare to Greenwood at a similar age?

Because that’s the minimum level we should be expecting if we splash big £££ on him.
Greenwood was a much better finisher and he did it in the PL so imo he was much more proven. He's really special with his natural two footedness and his crazy hip. Which gives him the ability to strike the ball from all angles with sublime accuracy and power but only needs a tiny lift. He was also faster and a better dribbler I think.

But they're quite different imo. That lad Sesko is more round with his height and strength. Greenwood was more of a deadly wide forward or second striker with lot of flair but he'd need to considerably develop physically to play as a #9.

Gums

I agree with this but on a positive note, at least his wage would hopefully reflect his level at the moment. If he doesn’t fulfil his potential, we may be able to sell him. And if he does break through, we have a great signing on a reasonable wage.

Status
Not open for further replies.