Benni McCarthy joins United

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
It's not confidence with Rashford. He has never done it consistently. It's this reason that he's a poor finisher who goes long stretches without scoring goals and he's missed countless 1v1 chances and tonnes of sitters because of it.
It's partly confidence. He's never been a 'good' finisher, but it gets significantly worse when his confidence seems to be shot. His movement to get into the right positions to get chances also drops significantly.

Oranges038

I wouldn't call him him a poor finisher, he's probably an average one. But yesterday he miscontrolled the ball more than anything else, not sure if the discussion about finishing is valid here. The miscontrol was definitely a result of low confidence imo.
Anyway, I wouldn't be too worried about it. There's a way to fix this but not through the man in thread title.
It's not confidence he's always lacked composure.

I don't know what Benni McCarthy does, but nobody will cure Rashford of his lack of composure in front of goal.

tomaldinho1

There must be stats that confirm whether we really are as bad at finishing as we seem to be? Underperforming our xG, right?

To me it looks like we don’t create enough chances. I’m well used to watching United forwards miss chances. I’m old enough to remember watching Andy Cole. What’s new this last decade is a horrific lack of chance creation. Mainly because our wide players are a pale shadow of what a Manchester United wide player should be.
I'm not sure on xG because, for example, I'm not sure it calculates Garnacho/Rashford chances from yesterday because they weren't actually shots. We had a 1.66 xG yesterday apparently and that is including a header a couple of metres out which went in, Garnacho and Rashford's 1 v 1's, Eriksen shot from about 10 yards, McT shot from about the same and then all the misses or close efforts like McT running into the box or Hojlund's shot that went over. It seems very low.

On reflection I think there are two parts to this. Mentality of the players - I do think there is a desperation for individual achievements that might be caused by the stupid amount of criticism the players get and what you say, that tactically our style is no conducive to creating regular good goal scoring opportunities. We rarely score 'easy' goals - in the PL this season, when was the last time we'd scored a simple finish from us building the attack versus getting a deflection or having to produce something special? So probably overperforming our xG is what to look for rather than underperforming.

Shef Utd. Bad pass into McT and miscontrol and a scuffed finish & a screamer from Dalot.
Brentford. Awful clearance to McT, great touch and finish from him and the last gasp header from a long ball.
Burnley. World class volley from Bruno.
Brighton. World class long ranger from Mainoo.
Arsenal. Rashford goal on the break, still has to get his shot round two defenders.
Forest. Eriksen goal from Rashford cross
Wolves. AWB assist for Varane.

The bolded are ones I would say are pre planned and probably worked on in training specifically. The rest are moments of genius or us getting a bit of luck. I'm not sure there are that many big misses in there either. I guess Bruno volley is probably worked on given we tried that ball a lot but it is a low % chance.

PeteRae

Hi this is my first post so go easy.

It’s a strange rumour I have heard from a friend that apparently the players are not too fond of Benny McCarthy. It is due to his punctuality his partner is not living local, he drives in from out of town and sometimes is late. And the players are unhappy that non playing staff are being treated different to playing staff.

Apologies to admin if my post cannot qualify to be posted.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Those first few pages had you believing this bloke was the second-coming of Cruyff.

Apokalips

Same shite happened with Carrick and McKenna and look where they are now.
Exactly, why are we now singling out McCarthy? This is on Ten Hag.

It's funny how people are always so adamant "it's not the manager", meanwhile we blame other coaches, facilities, owners, fans, etc. Some of the logic used to excuse the manager for his part in our failings is very...interesting.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
He's the striking coach.
Okay, and what does he do beyond translating the manager's instructions on the training pitch to the strikers? Truth is, none of us have a clue. It's impossible for us fans to appraise individual first-team coaches.

Jam

Okay, and what does he do beyond translating the manager's instructions on the training pitch to the strikers? Truth is, none of us have a clue. It's impossible for us fans to appraise individual first-team coaches.
You can have an educated guess.

He can’t fully appraise him as his employer; no. But we can certainly discuss the fruits of his labour as fans of the club.