Benni McCarthy joins United

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
what does he do?
@Pogue Mahone will be here to tell us that this guy is doing a formidable job.

Read the first few pages of the thread and you'd think he was the second coming of Pep. Reality is that he's a spoofer. This fanbase got fooled by Rashford having a purple patch and the team scoring a lot of late goals against B grade lineups in all the cups we were playing.

Newcastle scored more last week than we've done all season. Villa today almost matched our season's tally.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Read the first few pages of the thread and you'd think he was the second coming of Pep. Reality is that he's a spoofer. This fanbase got fooled by Rashford having a purple patch and the team scoring a lot of late goals against B grade lineups in all the cups we were playing.

Newcastle scored more last week than we've done all season. Villa today almost matched our season's tally.
Why are you tagging me in, you weirdo? I have a grand total of 5 posts in this eight page long thread.

fallengt

I thought that was @Adnan
Anyway, we have no idea what new coaching staff do but attacking patterns are as flat as ever.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I see we've reached the "blame random first-team coaches" stage of cope

fallengt

I see we've reached the "blame random first-team coaches" stage of cope
Not totally random. Reading early pages, you see bunch of people hailing Benni for the works he'd done with Rashford.
Now Rashford is back to his Ole era's form, you'd have to ask question.

KeanoMagicHat

Is this like when everyone blamed Kieran McKenna for things that had nothing to do with him and now he’s taken Ipswich from League One to top of the Championship?

Samid

Nice to see him getting his flowers, Rashford's meteoric improvement has definitely coincided with him joining the backroom staff.
Perfect example of how everything at this club is just a major PR exercise. I'm sure he's a great guy and a good communicator. But what are his credentials for working as a first team coach for one of the biggest clubs in the world?

Where are we half a year after this feelgood article? Rashford is stinking up the place (like he often has before) and is anything but a 'confident and direct striker'. Sancho is a non-entity, so much for his 'one-on-one work' with Benni. Has Benni's 'advice' made Martial a better player? No.

Abraxas

It's only you making the big flashy statement at the moment saying he's a "spoofer" whatever that is.

Why is it our fans zone in on these minor things such as position specific coaches. Not even a fecking proper first team coach this time like the good old blame game days of Carrick and McKenna. Utterly daft.

Samid

Why are you tagging me in, you weirdo? I have a grand total of 5 posts in this eight page long thread.
You kept going on about how he has done a great job improving the strikers in the squad (apart from Weghorst who you deemed uncoachable).

fallengt

Why would you think that?
I just want to blame someone for club's shortcomings :(, dunno why your name popped up in my head. Maybe I was confused with Murtough/Arnold's thread with this one

Bondi77

Can he show our players where the fecking goal is and the idea is to put it past the keeper!

Samid

Is this like when everyone blamed Kieran McKenna for things that had nothing to do with him and now he’s taken Ipswich from League One to top of the Championship?
McKenna was a highly rated coaching talent in England at the time.

McCarthy was a decent striker in his time. Decent player doesn't automatically mean decent coach.

They are nothing alike.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Was a weird time praising a single coach for Rashford's purple patch.

Is he now responsible for the complete lack of goals?

Abraxas

Was a weird time praising a single coach for Rashford's purple patch.

Is he now responsible for the complete lack of goals?
That's the point really isn't it, when there are several layers of responsibility above the staff member in question you're going to find it pretty hard to assess their merit based on an output with very diffuse inputs, whether it's good or bad. But if we're going to attribute those inputs under the relevant person, shouldn't we be placing the blame squarely with the bloke paid to hire staff, hire players, set the coaching direction set the tactics, and set the culture for the staff? That might be a good place to begin and end our search for responsibility.

Would we start pointing fingers at Admin Assistants or receptionists when a company goes under? Has anyone here not worked in a company where they work their balls off with skill and the company goes under, or the opposite, worked within a successful company while just cruising along and never really excelling as an individual? Happens all the time. In reality we have someone getting paid the big bucks to take on responsibility and that's where the issue begins and ends without all this weirdness about lesser staff. What next..the kit man.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
No worries.

I don't have a opinion on Richard Arnold but my opinions are there for all to see in the 10 years I've been a member on the caf. I've lost count the times I've mentioned players that I feel the club should sign who end up at other clubs.

We've signed too many players post Fergie who either lack technically in possession or are are weak at defending large space in a higher defensive line. In the current EPL it's imperative imo to sign players who have the physical/athletic ability aswell as the technical ability on the ball. And when you look back at the players we've signed post Fergie, they either lack athletically and physically or are technically not of the requisite standard. You can't sign CBs imo who lack athleticism and you can't sign or promote midfielders who are technically lacking. We did both those things in the last 10 years.

The results should be better than they're imo. But for me it's very simple as far as recruitment is concerned and we should sign at least one CB who has the pace, power and athleticism to dominate the channels. Sign a deeper lying midfielder who has the technical and physical ability to replace Casemiro. If it was possible I'd sign two CBs with both Todibo and Ousmane Diomande coming straight into the team.

I'd also replace Rashford with a player who plays for the team. We've got two players in the starting 11 who are very direct in their play which will see them both score goals and get assists but I don't feel either player will help the collective unit as far as developing a playstyle is concerned. Unless Rashford can become more of a team player with and without the ball, I don't see the point in him scoring goals because it will come at the detriment of the team.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Perfect example of how everything at this club is just a major PR exercise. I'm sure he's a great guy and a good communicator. But what are his credentials for working as a first team coach for one of the biggest clubs in the world?

Where are we half a year after this feelgood article? Rashford is stinking up the place (like he often has before) and is anything but a 'confident and direct striker'. Sancho is a non-entity, so much for his 'one-on-one work' with Benni. Has Benni's 'advice' made Martial a better player? No.
Were you asking this question when Ole was manager?

McCarthy isn't even one of our main coaches. I'm not sure why he's being singled out. It's the Carrick and McKenna blame game all over again.

Samid

Were you asking this question when Ole was manager?

McCarthy isn't even one of our main coaches. I'm not sure why he's being singled out. It's the Carrick and McKenna blame game all over again.
Read the previous few pages then. Rashford's purple patch was attributed to McCarthy. You guys love hyping up everyone at the club based on very little evidence.

McCarthy is the forwards coach. Our forwards don't score goals. A DM is our top scorer this season.

According to you earlier in the thread we have a "top class coaching staff". Utterly laughable.

tomaldinho1

I guess we're back here again, going through our coaching staff looking to assign blame because we've blamed the players, the manager, other coaches and need new targets.

There is a point where you have to look at games like last night, where we were poor for half the game, but had I would say 3 easy chances (Rashford peno claim, Garnacho miscontrol, McT shot) and a couple of good ones (Eriksen shot, McT at the end of the Antony run/Hojlund backheel) and wonder what the feck is wrong with our finishing. It has been an issue for many seasons, I remember having this conversation under Ole and Mou, even someone like Ibra who did well was very average in terms of his conversion rate for us. This isn't down to Benni being a coach, there's some deeper issue which I suspect is mental, playing for a club where you get hammered by a fanbase unless you play exceptionally well, are constantly in the media spotlight and in teams which for years have had almost no control or patience. Everything is rushed, erratic, frantic, we thrive off long balls and snatch at chances because of how we have decided to play.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I never understood the point of a coach dedicated strictly to finishing. I think he focuses more on movement, what the striker should be doing in different situations, that kind of stuff. Our bad finishing is just lack of confidence and a bit of bad luck. I wouldn't bother with this aspect too much, eth needs to make this team play better football and the players will settle.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Whatever it is, it'll be either

1. He's so shit at what he's doing
2. The player are not listening
3. The players are listening but they're too dumb
4. He's brilliant but can't teach

It's one of those 4 and none of them bode well for him.

Oranges038

I never understood the point of a coach dedicated strictly to finishing. I think he focuses more on movement, what the striker should be doing in different situations, that kind of stuff. Our bad finishing is just lack of confidence and a bit of bad luck. I wouldn't bother with this aspect too much, eth needs to make this team play better football and the players will settle.
I think it's a lack of composure more than confidence and bad luck.

If you look at other top finishers, from the past and even now. Look at Bellingham's goal last night, he just slows down and sets himself for the shot and places it nicely into the corner.

Good finishers generally know what they are going to do before the shooting point, they take a split second to slow down and set themselves to shoot. Utd players don't do this. It's all 100mph and try and shoot while never adjusting their speed or their feet and setting themselves to finish.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I think it's a lack of composure more than confidence and bad luck.

If you look at other top finishers, from the past and even now. Look at Bellingham's goal last night, he just slows down and sets himself for the shot and places it nicely into the corner.

Good finishers generally know what they are going to do before the shooting point, they take a split second to slow down and set themselves to shoot. Utd players don't do this. It's all 100mph and try and shoot while never adjusting their speed or their feet and setting themselves to finish.
They don't do it now, because they are low on confidence what impacts composure. It's all down to the same thing.
Rashford scored plenty of goals last season also because he made the right choices in space and time. He will get there this season. Hojlund is the only one who looks like he has composure but also is smart enough to get in front of the defender (and strong enough to push him off). But unfortunately he didn't get on the end of those passes last night.

Oranges038

They don't do it now, because they are low on confidence what impacts composure. It's all down to the same thing.
Rashford scored plenty of goals last season also because he made the right choices in space and time. He will get there this season. Hojlund is the only one who looks like he has composure but also is smart enough to get in front of the defender (and strong enough to push him off). But unfortunately he didn't get on the end of those passes last night.
It's not confidence with Rashford. He has never done it consistently. It's this reason that he's a poor finisher who goes long stretches without scoring goals and he's missed countless 1v1 chances and tonnes of sitters because of it.

crossy1686

career ending
Whatever it is, it'll be either

1. He's so shit at what he's doing
2. The player are not listening
3. The players are listening but they're too dumb
4. He's brilliant but can't teach

It's one of those 4 and none of them bode well for him.
5. The managers tactics don't allow the forwards to receive the ball in a position where they can be affective without doing something heroic first.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I guess we're back here again, going through our coaching staff looking to assign blame because we've blamed the players, the manager, other coaches and need new targets.

There is a point where you have to look at games like last night, where we were poor for half the game, but had I would say 3 easy chances (Rashford peno claim, Garnacho miscontrol, McT shot) and a couple of good ones (Eriksen shot, McT at the end of the Antony run/Hojlund backheel) and wonder what the feck is wrong with our finishing. It has been an issue for many seasons, I remember having this conversation under Ole and Mou, even someone like Ibra who did well was very average in terms of his conversion rate for us. This isn't down to Benni being a coach, there's some deeper issue which I suspect is mental, playing for a club where you get hammered by a fanbase unless you play exceptionally well, are constantly in the media spotlight and in teams which for years have had almost no control or patience. Everything is rushed, erratic, frantic, we thrive off long balls and snatch at chances because of how we have decided to play.
There must be stats that confirm whether we really are as bad at finishing as we seem to be? Underperforming our xG, right?

To me it looks like we don’t create enough chances. I’m well used to watching United forwards miss chances. I’m old enough to remember watching Andy Cole. What’s new this last decade is a horrific lack of chance creation. Mainly because our wide players are a pale shadow of what a Manchester United wide player should be.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
It's not confidence with Rashford. He has never done it consistently. It's this reason that he's a poor finisher who goes long stretches without scoring goals and he's missed countless 1v1 chances and tonnes of sitters because of it.
I wouldn't call him him a poor finisher, he's probably an average one. But yesterday he miscontrolled the ball more than anything else, not sure if the discussion about finishing is valid here. The miscontrol was definitely a result of low confidence imo.
Anyway, I wouldn't be too worried about it. There's a way to fix this but not through the man in thread title.