Berbatov | Fulham player

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
If we sold Rooney and kept Berbatov we wouldn't have won the league.

mufcwarm92

To be fair, Fulham are definitely not going to be relegated, they were safe over a month ago and have only lost their last five games from taking their foot off the pedal. In terms of quality they're miles away from being 'one of the worst in the league', they're closer to the likes of West Brom and Swansea than Wigan or Norwich, let alone Reading/QPR.

Rossa

It's no secret that I would have rather have accommodated Berbatov than Rooney.
TBF, it's not a silly idea either. Berbatov was partly sacrificied due to Fergie wanted more pace in the attack, and Berbatov had a tendency to slow down our attacks, and let's face it - he was never a rocket in the first place, though never slow either. Now, however, if we look at Rooney's pace of late and his awful first touch, I believe a fit and in form Berbatov would probably have served us better this season playing behind RVP.

Brightonian

TBF, it's not a silly idea either. Berbatov was partly sacrificied due to Fergie wanted more pace in the attack, and Berbatov had a tendency to slow down our attacks, and let's face it - he was never a rocket in the first place, though never slow either. Now, however, if we look at Rooney's pace of late and his awful first touch, I believe a fit and in form Berbatov would probably have served us better this season playing behind RVP.
:houllier:

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
As do I.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
It's difficult to overstate Berbatov's talent but it's a hapless task trying to speculate as to how good he would've been this season for us. He was given sustained runs behind the front man and as the front man during his time here, but the only time he really looked like the player he could've been for us was when Rooney was injured. When he was the main man, so to say. He strikes me as the ultimate big fish, small pond player and I think that's the main reason he never fit in here.

I keep reading about how we didn't utilise him properly but players of Berbatov's all round ability shouldn't need to be pinned down to one proper position for them to show a greater percentage of what they're capable of. The fact here is that Berbatov, whilst quality at times for us, underachieved to the extent that explanations regarding how we used him don't seem adequate enough. When he was in his element, it didn't matter where he was playing - he'd run the game and look a class above anyone else. I can't remember who it was against now but there was one match where he was playing almost as a deep lying midfielder whereby he put in one of the most exquisite performances I've seen. It was pre-season granted but it was an example of what Berbatov is capable of when he's in own element and when the pressure is off.

Hope that doesn't come off as too critical because I don't blame players for not having the mental strength to succeed at Manchester United. I just think it's clear with him that that was the main problem, and that if he was here this year in place of Rooney then there's every chance he would've been underwhelming. That's not to say I definitely don't think we would've won the league had the roles been reversed, mind. We've pissed the league points wise without Rooney for great chunks of the season, so it's not clear cut by any means. That being said, I think the key difference with Rooney is that you don't get the same sort of anonymity to his performance as much as you tend to get with an off form Berbatov. Berbatov may well have been a nightmare for this team throughout the course of this season because when he's out of sorts he basically just disappears from the game. We've already got problems as it is regarding the link between attack and defence so with him behind Van Persie we could've had a very frustrating situation. At least Rooney more often than not provides an option in that area even if less and less has come of it.

Ekeke

That's a nonsense statement, especially considering the last time Berba was given a decent run by SAF we won the league and he won the golden boot.
:houllier::lol::lol::lol:

Rooney had a good relationship with RVP. It was clearly one of the reasons RVP scored a lot of his goals

Berbatov had no good relationship with any of our strikers and his clear best season at United was as the furthest forward striker, where RVP did so well last season.

Also, selling Berbatov is what created space for RVP. So we wouldnt have had him in the first place

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
You seem to be doing it quite easily.
He's immensely gifted, don't see anything wrong with pointing out the obvious there. Should've been some sort of midfielder in my opinion. The problem with Berbatov came when he was expected to really force the issue in an attacking sense; he tended to shy away from games and/or play massively within himself too often in this scenario. He would've been more suited to dictating play at his own pace instead of being someone to be relied upon for productivity. On those very select few occasions where it all came together, he did the ridiculous with more ease than any United player I've seen.

Regardless, that post was more something to highlight the problem with Berbatov here. Irrespective of how talented he is or isn't, he never looked to me to have the mentality to be a truly great player for this club. Not whilst we were successful with other great players here at least.

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
I don't think it would be as simple as playing Berba where Rooney played - one of the bonuses of playing Rooney there is that he gets through a lot of leg working helping out the two deep central midfielders.

I love Berba and was never on the Berba was lazy band wagon, but it's not one of his strengths, in the same way that most other players who play that position wouldn't have that impact in the same way that Rooney did (e.g. Mata, Carzola, Ozil etc)

Revan

Assumptionman
If we sold Rooney and kept Berbatov we wouldn't have won the league.
As long as we would have played Chicha and Kagawa (and not Berbatov) in place of Rooney we would have done fine and likely would have win the league.

Rossa

As long as we would have played Chicha and Kagawa (and not Berbatov) in place of Rooney we would have done fine and likely would have win the league.
Not sure that Berba wouldn't have played better than Rooney this season, tbf. He may not have had the same stats to boast, but I think his overall play would arguably have been better suited to our game.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
I'm looking for the face of Jesus in Berba's torso. I assume that's why there's all the excitement?

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Looks like the moody Bulgarian wants out:

Fulham striker Dimitar Berbatov hopes to leave the club in January, according to his agent Emil Dantchev.
The 32-year-old has scored just twice in 12 appearances for the Cottagers this season, a barren run that contributed to the struggles that cost Martin Jol his job.
Rene Meulensteen has taken over the managerial reins at Craven Cottage but he will have been rocked by the news that Berbatov, whose contract expires in the summer, is looking for a way out.
Player Profile

Dimitar Berbatov

• Appearances 12
  • Goals 2
  • Assists 0
  • Yellows 2
  • Reds 0
  • Current Season
"I don't usually speculate as nobody knows what will happen in January but what I can tell you is he (Berbatov) is not happy at Fulham," said Dantchev.
"He would like, if possible, to find another option."
Turkish club Trabzonsport have been linked with Berbatov, but Dantchev suggested that his client would prefer to remain in the Premier League.
"I cannot comment (on whether there has been any approach) but the priority is to find a solution to stay in England," he said.
Fulham refused to comment on the situation.

A return to Spurs?

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Looks like the moody Bulgarian wants out:

Fulham striker Dimitar Berbatov hopes to leave the club in January, according to his agent Emil Dantchev.
The 32-year-old has scored just twice in 12 appearances for the Cottagers this season, a barren run that contributed to the struggles that cost Martin Jol his job.
Rene Meulensteen has taken over the managerial reins at Craven Cottage but he will have been rocked by the news that Berbatov, whose contract expires in the summer, is looking for a way out.
Player Profile

Dimitar Berbatov

• Appearances 12
  • Goals 2
  • Assists 0
  • Yellows 2
  • Reds 0
  • Current Season
"I don't usually speculate as nobody knows what will happen in January but what I can tell you is he (Berbatov) is not happy at Fulham," said Dantchev.

"He would like, if possible, to find another option."
Turkish club Trabzonsport have been linked with Berbatov, but Dantchev suggested that his client would prefer to remain in the Premier League.
"I cannot comment (on whether there has been any approach) but the priority is to find a solution to stay in England," he said.
Fulham refused to comment on the situation.

A return to Spurs?

So is it that Fulham is doing poorly? The fact that Rene is now the manager? That he never really wanted to be at Fulham in the first place?

Well he has not really made them a better team, the finished about the same last season as they did the season before and this season they are very poor, so if they can get something for him in January rather than lose him for free later they should do so.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
He should have gone to Juventus for the sake of his career. I reckon Everton may put in a bid, he would be pretty good alongside Lukaku and gives them an option for when Chelsea take Lukaku back. Southampton could also be a suitable destination...