Berbatov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Sorry, I thought he mentioned that he felt more wanted by Spurs as they showed more urgency. While we were busy with Tevez maybe?
No, this was the previous summer. We were busy offloading Ruud.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Sorry, I thought he mentioned that he felt more wanted by Spurs as they showed more urgency.
correct

While we were busy with Tevez maybe?
No. While we were busy trying to push the deal to sell Ruud. SAF had indicated to the board that he wanted to off load Ruud first before buying anyone for his forward line. While Berbatov, who wad interested in join us, wanted his future sorted immediately, for he had decided to come to the premiership one way or another. So he didn't refuse Spurs when they came calling too as result of our dilly dallying.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
For what it's worth (no direct quotes):

"Tottenham manager Juande Ramos is confident Dimitar Berbatov will sign a new contract after holding talks with the striker.

Ramos ... for next season ... wants to build his team around the Bulgarian international.

It is understood the Spaniard has convinced the 27-year-old that he should stay at White Hart Lane after discussing his long-term plans with the striker.

Ramos has reassured Berbatov that he will be spending big in the transfer market in the summer to ensure Spurs can challenge for a top four place in the Premier League as well as in the cups.

The former Bayer Leverkusen star ... has been impressed by the impact Ramos has made since he arrived from Sevilla in October, especially with the club's victory in the Carling Cup.

He has two years left on his current deal with an option [by the club] for another two years and Ramos has told close friends he expects him to stay at the club despite interest from Manchester United. "

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...79&ico=Homepage&icl=TabModule&icc=picbox&ct=5

Sam

For what it's worth (no direct quotes):

"Tottenham manager Juande Ramos is confident Dimitar Berbatov will sign a new contract after holding talks with the striker.

Ramos ... for next season ... wants to build his team around the Bulgarian international.

It is understood the Spaniard has convinced the 27-year-old that he should stay at White Hart Lane after discussing his long-term plans with the striker.

Ramos has reassured Berbatov that he will be spending big in the transfer market in the summer to ensure Spurs can challenge for a top four place in the Premier League as well as in the cups.

The former Bayer Leverkusen star ... has been impressed by the impact Ramos has made since he arrived from Sevilla in October, especially with the club's victory in the Carling Cup.

He has two years left on his current deal with an option [by the club] for another two years and Ramos has told close friends he expects him to stay at the club despite interest from Manchester United. "

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...79&ico=Homepage&icl=TabModule&icc=picbox&ct=5
Good, the sooner he signs that contract, the better.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Third time lucky for Berba?

By Jonathan Northcroft
June 8, 2008

LAST SUMMER, when Dimitar Berbatov learnt that Tottenham were to rebuff attempts by Manchester United to sign him, he was tearful. Spurs were on tour in sunny South Africa but clouds settled over their striker. Should Berbatov be back in South Africa six weeks from now the skies will be brighter. United play exhibition games there between July 19 and 26 and Sir Alex Ferguson is considering trying to get Berbatov in a red shirt by then.

Ferguson offered £25m for the Bulgarian a year ago and a similar sum may be sufficient now to prise him from White Hart Lane. Daniel Levy, Tottenham’s chairman, would strike a hard bargain, but Berbatov has just two years remaining on his contract and has indicated he will reject an extension, worth £70,000 a week, mooted by his employers. AC Milan are interested and Berbatov likes the idea of playing in Spain, but United are a long-held dream. Ferguson, having done background checks, is not put off by doubts about his temperament.

A move for Berbatov is one of the things Ferguson is pondering on holiday in France. Another is what to do about Cristiano Ronaldo. He is able to keep the two questions separate and that, rather, is the point about the far-from-terrible position in which he finds himself. He does not want to sell Ronaldo and there is no pressure on him to do so. There is money available to sign Berbatov or an alternative striker, and cash to bring in further players - whether or not Real Madrid pay the £50m-£80m they have talked at various times about offering for Ronaldo.

Someone familiar with the thoughts of the Glazer family, who own United, said: “As far as the Glazers are concerned, Ronaldo’s not for sale. It doesn’t get any simpler. If there’s an issue, it’s to be resolved by the player and the manager.

Ferguson’s first priority is to gauge how much solid intent lay behind Ronaldo’s statement to a Brazilian journalist that “I want to play for Real Madrid but only if it is true they are eager to pay me and Manchester United what they have been saying they will”. His second, if Ronaldo is serious, would be to make a forceful case to him about staying. His third, should the Portuguese be adamant about departing, would be to consider the oldest equation in management: how much is a certain player worth to my team and at what price do the alternatives become better?

Ferguson has revealed he could “sit a player in the stand”, with the Glazers’ blessing, if he wanted to make a point about the importance of United’s footballers honouring their contracts. Ronaldo’s has four years to run and Ferguson would love to show Real they cannot “ride roughshod” over his club, while David Gill, the Old Trafford chief executive, will send a letter to Fifa tomorrow reporting Real for “tapping” Ronaldo. But how much does fury and protest achieve? United’s goal for next season is retaining the European Cup and Ferguson will be asking how this could be done minus Ronaldo. Adding Berbatov would eliminate one handicap the manager faced last season, the lack of a proper striker, and it is conceivable that, with no Ronaldo but other reinforcements, he could have a stronger side than last season.

The £25m available to sign Berbatov last summer is still in Ferguson’s transfer kitty and it is understood any fee for Ronaldo would be his to spend. Contrary to suggestions, the Glazers would not seek to use it to pay off the £666m debts resulting from their takeover. The cost of financing these is £42m per season and is taken annually from United’s operating profits, which were £80m for 2006-07, leaving £38m that was ploughed back into transfers and other projects. Having just banked £32m for winning the Champions League, United are getting richer and their total wage costs are only £50,000 a week more than Arsenal’s. With Ronaldo money, Ferguson could have £100m to spend.

United need £20m to make Carlos Tevez’s loan permanent and a bid of £5m was lodged for Cardiff City’s Aaron Ramsey, but should these deals, and one for Berbatov, be completed there might still be £50m of further signings to come. Ferguson wants a right-back and any offer by Real to include the buccaneering Sergio Ramos in a deal for Ronaldo would be tempting. Mark Hughes’s arrival at Manchester City makes landing Micah Richards less likely but there are other options in the £20m bracket that Richards inhabits, such as Daniel Alves, or alternatives at half the price, such as Lazio’s Stefan Radu. Carlos Queiroz, Ferguson’s assistant, admires Portugal’s Miguel Veloso and Joao Moutinho, though United have no pressing need to sign another central midfielder.

Since no one else can play like Ronaldo it would be futile to seek a facsimile. Ferguson tried to replace the irreplaceable when Roy Keane left, and life after Ronaldo would have to involve a change in playing style. The choice could be whether to rejig United’s attacking strategies with a second new striker or another flank player. At Lyons there are deluxe talents in both these positions but the wide man, Hatem Ben Arfa, looks a lot more attainable than the striker, Karim Benzema, priced at £48m. Roque Santa Cruz, Luis Fabiano, Sergio Aguero, Mario Gomez, Luis Antonio Valencia, Ricardo Quaresma: there are plenty of others United could try and sign – £100m gives you options.

Ferguson has been working on those equations since he started at East Stirling and calculated it was worth £750 of his first budget of £2,000 on a signing-on fee for Tom Gourlay, Partick Thistle’s reserve goalkeeper. “Gourlay was useful, had good presence and was utterly fearless. He was also a minimum of 2st overweight,” recalled Ferguson. Nevertheless, it turned out to be the right decision, just as it was in 2003 when he let another superstar leave for Real Madrid and replaced David Beckham with one Cristiano Ronaldo.

So what can you get for £110m?

Should Cristiano Ronaldo move to Madrid for £80m, United could have up to £110m to spend in this summer’s transfer market. Sir Alex Ferguson already has a budget of around £30m and would be allowed to reinvest Ronaldo’s fee

His priority is to buy a top striker, with Tottenham’s Dimitar Berbatov his main target

Other strikers under consideration include Karim Benzema (£48m), Luis Fabiano (£10m), Roque Santa Cruz (£10m), Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (£20m), Mario Gomez (£20m) and Sergio Aguero (£25m)

A right-back is also sought. On the wish list are Micah Richards (£20m) and Daniel Alves (£20m)

A wide man might be needed, with Ricardo Quaresma (£31m), Hatem Ben Arfa (£15m) and Luis Antonio Valencia (£10m) linked with United. Ferguson has bid £5m for Cardiff’s Aaron Ramsey and needs £20m to make Carlos Tevez’s loan permanent

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/manchester_united/article4087649.ece

anything about now

MUFC lad living in a matriel world
£25m for two, maybe three more years in his prime. No thanks, he's not even a big striker as he likes the ball played to his feet, would rather spend that money on someone younger. Like Gomez perhaps.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
£25m for two, maybe three more years in his prime. No thanks, he's not even a big striker as he likes the ball played to his feet, would rather spend that money on someone younger. Like Gomez perhaps.
What age was sheringhams prime?

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Since he doesn't rely on pace, it's more like 4/5 good years. You need a mix of youth and experience, we have experience everywhere except up front.

Gomez could turn out to be the new Saha, similar in playing styles and they spend a lot of time on the treatment table.

Ekeke

Berbatov is a quality player - not quite as good as some make out, but still a heck of a player.

But I dont think his style suits us at all, so I hope we give him a miss.

KeyserSoze

Batigol > Bauer
Bollocks. Aguero's release clause is somewhere around £42m and Alves is/was just over £50m so clearly it's wrong.
How would comparing the supposed release clauses to the supposed release clause of others make it bollocks and clearly wrong.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
I imagine Benzema would be attainable for a highly overpriced 35 million.

Might still be worth it though!

I hope we cash in on Ronaldo whilst he worth as much as he ever will be! I can't stand his big headedness anymore.

Berbatov or Benzema please.

Redfighter

Officially gullible
At the secret training camp for United Militia
I think that seems like a fairly reasonable article.

I really would mind if we lost Ronaldo but gained Ramos, Berbatov and Ben Afra for example.

However, it's gotta be in Fergies mind that this 6+5 thing could still be introduced meaning we need British. I think that's why Richards is worth the extra money at right back.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Exclusive
By Phil Thomas
June 14, 2008

ALEX FERGUSON will go all out to sign Dimitar Berbatov when the Manchester United boss returns from holiday.

Fergie is ready to go back to Tottenham with a £25million bid — the same amount he offered in a doomed attempt to capture the Bulgarian striker last summer.

That cash is still available to Fergie, who has been on a break in France. United have also banked another £32m for winning the Champions League.

Around £20m has been earmarked for making Carlos Tevez’s transfer permanent.

Spurs are ready to sell Berbatov, 27, after bringing in Croatia’s Luka Modric and Mexican Giovani Dos Santos.

And agent Emil Dantchev insists Berbatov must be playing in the Champions League.

Milan have also been tracking the former Bayer Leverkusen man — but United would be his club of choice.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...ol/homepage/sport/football/article1290861.ece

Veron

Varun
hope its true,we could really use a player of his technique and control upfront.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
The Times article is wrong or doubtful on at least two counts:

LAST SUMMER, when Dimitar Berbatov learnt that Tottenham were to rebuff attempts by Manchester United to sign him, he was tearful.

Completely unbelievable and doesn't fit with Berbatov's character.

.... Berbatov has just two years remaining on his contract

Wrong. Berbatov has 4 years left on his contract.

Younited.7

united.7
"I am a man with simple tastes - I am always

LAST SUMMER, when Dimitar Berbatov learnt that Tottenham were to rebuff attempts by Manchester United to sign him, he was tearful.

1) Completely unbelievable and doesn't fit with Berbatov's character.

2) Wrong. Berbatov has 4 years left on his contract.
1) I am not vouching for the reporter, but your argument against him is tripe - unless of course you are a personal friend of Dmit - but i doubt that. The likely situation is that Johnathan Northcroft has whipped up a few fabrications, but, just saying he that it is not in his character (which is based on what?), does not really justify your point of them being "unbelievable".

2) It does not matter - he does not want to play UEFA cup football for the rest of his career and realistically that is all you are going to achieve. It is Catch-22 for Spurs really; as soon as you start to build a good team - your star man wants out, so you make some money, a few signings (which take time to embed) and by the time you have rebuilt around somebody else - he is off. I feel desperately sorry you ;)

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I dont think Berba is a target for SAF anymore.

I think we wud go for Santa Cruz.

Do you guys see any difference between them.
Yes, Berbatov is ten times better.

SAF isn't one to go for a one season wonder.

uae

Desperately wants a tagline under his name
Berbatov signed a 6 year deal with you when he joined Glaston?

032Devil

Completely unbelievable and doesn't fit with Berbatov's character.

Wrong. Berbatov has 4 years left on his contract.
Hasn't Berbatov recently refused to sign an improved contract and that's why Spurs are looking to off-load him?

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I would be extremely happy with the signing of Berbatov.

A top class player that would fit right in to our style of play.

If Benzema is not a viable purchase this summer then it has to be Berbatov!

Did someone say Santa Cruz? This guy spent the best part of 6 years in Bayerns treatment room. The last thing we need is another Saha FFS!

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Hes a brilliant player and alot better than cruz but hes 2.5 years away from 30, so 25m seems steep.

Cantona07

Most Games are played with ONE Ball but the REAL g
Come on...

Berbatov is a far better footballer, do you watch the premiership every week?
I agree and yes I do watch the pl.

My point is based on Ferguson's comments. If you remember he praised Santa Cruz and said he was a bargain for blackburn. Then the speculation about him being linked with us, so I assume he is a target.

Berba for 25mil??? Debatable.

Status
Not open for further replies.