Berbatov

Status
Not open for further replies.

RUnited

Gold Member
But if Arsenal and Barca aren't willing to pay the money and the Chelsea 'interest' proves to be bollocks then that doesn't leave much else.
Should Arsenal manage to sell Ade, Barca sells Ronaldinho, and perhaps Liverpool selling Alonso, there will be more serious competition for the big names.

We seem to be the only club (other than Chelsea) with real cash to spend immediately, so snapping up players we want now is not such a bad idea.

bbest

The Caf's worst songwriter
don't believe that as has been said, you don't HAVE to sell when they're that age. Additionally, when your talking about being willing to offer 25 but not 28 which is only 3 million more? Don't see it myself
You have a point. O.T. a bit, when was Carrick exactly signed? was it near the closing of the transfer window or what?

Kaiketsu_Zorro

from all the news about spurs trying to buy players, it's pretty clear they don't mind selling their top assets to raise the cash.

i don't think there's any doubt they are thinking of selling Berbatov at his peak to raise as much money as possible. Question now is how much can we agree with them for.
Yes, this is probably all true, that's why I said I thought there was still some way to go before we can be sure the deal is done. It all looks like the negotiations are underway and it's only a few million pounds that keep both clubs away from reaching a deal. But I saw various negotiations fall at even more advanced stages, so I'll save my celebrations until it's all officialy confirmed.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
You have a point. O.T. a bit, when was Carrick exactly signed? was it near the closing of the transfer window or what?
Can't remember. Two seasons of success have taken their toll :)

Fergies Formula

its been a bit quiet today on the berbatov front, wonder whether this is good or bad? Id assume if it was all fabricated one of the parties would have come out and dismissed it as speculaion, so i can only assume negotiations are taking place.

I really hope we sign him, i just feel we wont go above 28 million, and if they arent budging at 30 it could prove to be too much and we might walk away

Ecroyd

Strangely aroused by Lizard King
30 million is too much for a player of berbatovs age if i was united i wouldnt go above 25, you have to consider that were not madrid and a player has to maake finacial sense, would the signing of berbatov bring us over 30 million in extra revenue. this is a hard thing to judge because improved perfomance means more prize money/ tv rights not just shirt sales.

i would love him to come but his carreer cant go on for another 10 years so he has less time to do this

Kaiketsu_Zorro

Even if Berbatov signed for us aged 20 he wouldn't probably have played his whole career for United, so what's the problem? Usually when you buy a player he plays for your club about 5 years max, Berbatov can easily do that. The only difference is we won't be able to sell him for anywhere near as much as we would have to pay.

Just look at players like Bergkamp, Inzaghi. They sure knew how to score goals even aged well over 30, and Berbatov I expect to be no different, as he has a similar style.

born&raisedred

i wouldn't go over the 25mil mark, but i do think there's a good few years to have out of him. he doesn't rely on speed, so the drop of pace will not damage his game too much, whilst he's a clever player who may well improve in the next couple of years

Mr. Wood

Circle Jerkin' Wannabe
Another thing to consider here is that Fergie has said he'll be managing for another three years at most. Berbatov will probably be in or around his prime in three years. Fergie probably doesn't care much about Berbatov's resale value. He probably sees Berbatov as the kind of player who can win United more trophies. Which I'm sure is his goal for the next few years.

Ecroyd

Strangely aroused by Lizard King
Even if Berbatov signed for us aged 20 he wouldn't probably have played his whole career for United, so what's the problem? Usually when you buy a player he plays for your club about 5 years max, Berbatov can easily do that. The only difference is we won't be able to sell him for anywhere near as much as we would have to pay.

Just look at players like Bergkamp, Inzaghi. They sure knew how to score goals even aged well over 30, and Berbatov I expect to be no different, as he has a similar style.
well you said it yourself say if in 5 years we could get 8 million for him thats still 22million he has to add,

i dont like buying a player that is going to decrease in value, i guess its just the fact i spend too much time on FM

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Another thing to consider here is that Fergie has said he'll be managing for another three years at most. Berbatov will probably be in or around his prime in three years. Fergie probably doesn't care much about Berbatov's resale value. He probably sees Berbatov as the kind of player who can win United more trophies. Which I'm sure is his goal for the next few years.
I think you are being unfair here. If that would have been the case then SAF wouldnt have gambled on Nani and Anderson but he would have brought experienced heads.

Mr. Wood

Circle Jerkin' Wannabe
I think you are being unfair here. If that would have been the case then SAF wouldnt have gambled on Nani and Anderson but he would have brought experienced heads.
You're right, it doesn't explain Fergie's entire transfer policy. But I think his imminent departure might make the odd short-term splurge especially enticing.

032Devil

Reds stand firm over Berbatov fee

Stuart Mathieson
15/ 7/2008

UNITED will not be forced to pay over the odds for wanted Spurs striker Dimitar Berbatov.

The Bulgarian hitman is the number one summer target for the Reds.

But reports that the Premier League and Champions League winners have had a £28m offer accepted by the London club are wrong.

United's chief executive David Gill has still not lodged a bid for the 27-year-old.

He will fly out with the Reds touring party to South Africa on Thursday but could make contact with Spurs before the trip. United's valuation of Berbatov is well below the £30m coach Juande Ramos claimed it would cost buyers during the last January transfer window.

Tottenham are looking for replacements and United may help them in their quest by possibly offering Louis Saha as a makeweight in the deal.

The Parisian wasn't involved in United's pre-season friendly at Aberdeen last Saturday.

Agreement

If United and Spurs can come to some agreement there is no doubt Berbatov will need little persuading to make the switch.

Former White Hart Lane boss Martin Jol, who lost his job at Spurs last October and is now coach at Hamburg, says a move to Old Trafford was always uppermost for the Bulgarian.

Jol said: "I always had a good relationship with Dimitar. But the trouble is he wanted to go to United. It was in his mind and I could do nothing about it."

Meanwhile, Blackburn striker Roque Santa Cruz has played down speculation he is seeking a move away from Ewood Park.

United have been linked with the Paraguay international who scored 23 goals last season.

However, after spending the past month in his homeland, Santa Cruz revealed he is ready to return to England and continue his Blackburn career.

He said: "A lot of people said my transfer to a bigger club was about to happen, but I live in the present and I'm focused on Blackburn.

"I'm happy for the good season that I had and the important goals that I scored.

"I am motivated by the other teams' interest, but if I am not transferred then I want to have a good season at Blackburn."

Ekeke

Still old quotes, but confirmation that we haven't made a proper bid I guess. Could still go either way.

Kaiketsu_Zorro

United remain patient over Berbatov

Manchester United are prepared to play the waiting game in their pursuit of Tottenham striker Dimitar Berbatov. United depart on their pre-season tour of South Africa on Thursday but are not going to be rushed into paying over the odds for the 27-year-old.

It is understood United have made a bid for the Bulgarian striker worth €25million plus add-ons and given his barely-disguised desire to move to Old Trafford, are hopeful an agreement will be reached at some stage.

United have previous experience of protracted transfer dealings with Tottenham when Michael Carrick moved to Manchester in 2006.

That saga lasted several weeks and that situation could be repeated given Spurs have valued Berbatov at €35m and United are adamant they will not pay anything like that sum for the striker.

Berbatov's arrival would be likely to lead to the departure of Louis Saha - the Frenchman could even travel the other way if Tottenham are interested.

Berbatov's agent Emil Dantchev has said the striker is keen to play Champions League football again - he made a substitute's appearance in the 2002 Champions League final against Real Madrid while at Bayer Leverkusen.

Former Spurs manager Martin Jol has also commented that the player made little secret of his desire to move to Old Trafford.

Meanwhile, United will fly to Africa on Thursday afternoon with their first match against Kaizer Chiefs at the Newlands Stadium, Cape Town, on Saturday.

Alex Ferguson's side then face Orlando Pirates in Durban on Tuesday, July 22nd, before playing one of the two South Africa sides again in the Vodacom Challenge final at Loftus Stadium, Tshwane - previously called Pretoria - on Saturday, July 26th.

In the same pre-season tournament two years ago United lost to Kaizer Chiefs on penalties in the final.

There will be a hectic end to the tour with a friendly the following night in Abuja, Nigeria, against Portsmouth on the way back.

Ferguson told MUTV: "The games in South Africa aren't easy games. It's a good, competitive level, so that should bring us on a good deal.

"I think by the time we get to the start of the season we'll be really ready."
http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2008/0715/1216073088585.html

It doesn't seem like Glaston's info about the deal being reached already is true..

giggs-beckham

Clueless
fecking spurs, if berbatov dreams of playing for united they should let him go. its tantamount to slavery, cant someone at the top speak out for us?

Ekeke

Pretty foolish move buying a football shirt on the word of an anonymous poster with claims of being ITK. Try and get a refund.
I dont mind that I lost my money, but all my mates did the same thing. I just said "Glaston said some ITKs are saying we bought Berbatov for £28 million" and everyone went into a frenzy.

Now I feel like a right tit, posing in it on Youtube and including him in all my "next year's lineup" diagrams.

KeyserSoze

Batigol > Bauer
I dont mind that I lost my money, but all my mates did the same thing. I just said "Glaston said some ITKs are saying we bought Berbatov for £28 million" and everyone went into a frenzy.

Now I feel like a right tit, posing in it on Youtube and including him in all my "next year's lineup" diagrams.
Ekeke the discussion did not erupt because of GlastonSpurs claims, but anyway I cant be arsed.

:lol: Those bloody ITK's.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
It wouldn't surprise me if a deal has been sorted in principle between the clubs.

We'll probably end up paying £25 million for him.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Still old quotes, but confirmation that we haven't made a proper bid I guess. Could still go either way.
Are you talking about Santa Cruz or Berbatov?

If the latter, then it's a newspaper story (with no quotes from anyone at MUFC) - and how many of those prove to be accurate when it comes to transfers info? Not many.

Mr. Wood

Circle Jerkin' Wannabe
So if we got £30 million for Ronaldo, you wouldnt care as its not your money. Right?
Yes, that's how I feel about it.

Edit: As long as Fergie has the money he needs to sign replacements, I don't care about the number. When it comes to transfers, I only care about who is or is not in the squad, not the odd little number that we assign to each player and (quite illogically, IMO) evaluate them by.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Status
Not open for further replies.