Berbatov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex

The article concludes by saying:

"Berbatov played for 45 minutes in Tottenham's 8-0 win against Spanish side Tavernes last night in a pre-season friendly. But while the Bulgarian failed to score, £4.7m signing Giovani dos Santos marked his debut with two goals.

Looks like you've bought the wrong player ;)
Wait a few years, if he proves himself we'll come calling:devil:

didsbury1982

I really hope this Berbatov story is true. I don't think some people realise just how good he is. He'll fit perfectly into our style of play as well.

bbest

The Caf's worst songwriter
The article concludes by saying:

"Berbatov played for 45 minutes in Tottenham's 8-0 win against Spanish side Tavernes last night in a pre-season friendly. But while the Bulgarian failed to score, £4.7m signing Giovani dos Santos marked his debut with two goals.

Looks like you've bought the wrong player ;)
Santa Mari!

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Wait a few years, if he proves himself we'll come calling:devil:
Things change - assumption is the mother of all feck-ups ;)

In a few years Fergie will be gone and your debt may well have mushroomed to around £1 billion. Far from buying, maybe by then you'll be forced into selling players left, right and centre ... who knows.

didsbury1982

In a few years Fergie will be gone and your debt may well have mushroomed to around £1 billion. Far from buying, maybe by then you'll be forced into selling players left, right and centre ... who knows.

That's what i'm scared of. Not sure about the billion debt though!

marcus agrippa

people have been forecasting our demise for a long time.

we survived Munich, we can certainly survive this Yank bastard.

Brophs

The One and Only

What, you mean you lot wouldn't be our feeder club anymore?;)

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
You're right, it doesn't explain Fergie's entire transfer policy. But I think his imminent departure might make the odd short-term splurge especially enticing.
I much doubt it. SAF knows that Ronaldo will soon leave and the team will need an inspirational figure to lead the way. You won't solve such thing with a kid.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
What, you mean you lot wouldn't be our feeder club anymore?;)
It means that by then you might be a feeder club to not just Real Madrid as now, but also to Barca, AC Milan etc etc. ;)

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Considering the fact that Torres was available for less than £30m a year ago (£25m was it?), paying close to that for Berbatov seems like complete madness.
Considering the fact that Shevchenko was signed for well over £30m two years ago (£35m was it?), paying 10 million less than that for Berbatov seems like a complete bargain.

Mr. Wood

Circle Jerkin' Wannabe
Considering the fact that Torres was available for less than £30m a year ago (£25m was it?), paying close to that for Berbatov seems like complete madness.
Perhaps, but this sort of reasoning gets us nowhere. Is there another Torres available? If not, does that mean we should sign no one? Or should we just sign a worse (or less suitable) player because he would cost less than Torres?

djemba's arse

Considering the fact that Shevchenko was signed for well over £30m two years ago (£35m was it?), paying 10 million less than that for Berbatov seems like a complete bargain.
Not really.

But if we do pay that amount and he does what Veron couldn't, then it won't really matter anyway.

Mr Wood said:
Perhaps, but this sort of reasoning gets us nowhere. Is there another Torres available? If not, does that mean we should sign no one? Or should we just sign a worse (or less suitable) player because he would cost less than Torres?
True. I'm just pointing out that we let what I believe is a better player (and probably a better investment considering the age difference) go last year for less than what we're willing to part with now. It might be something to consider when looking at future player investments.

Drifter

American
We are not willing to pay 28mil.According to reports we will not go above 24mil or 25mil allegedly.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
True. I'm just pointing out that we let what I believe is a better player (and probably a better investment considering the age difference) go last year for less than what we're willing to part with now. It might be something to consider when looking at future player investments.
Signing footballers isn't like walking into a cash and carry and heading to the aisle marked "strikers"

So many other factors to consider, like where your squad is in most urgent need of strengthening in the long-term? (i.e. if we'd signed Torres last season we probably wouldn't have had the funds to sign Nani and Anderson) and how willing the selling club are to make a sale (i.e. Atletico were ready and able to sell Torres to an English team but Spurs are desperate to avoid Berbatov doing the same)

These factors (and a load of others like them) means it's impossible to say "player a cost x million, therefore we should not pay more than y million for player b". If we get the player Fergie wants, I think it's silly to get up in arms about what it costs, that's not our concen.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I just hope to God this isn't going to be another Tevez like saga.

This dragging on is not beneficial to either teams' planning for next season.

Mr. Wood

Circle Jerkin' Wannabe
How come we're willing to pay £28million for Berbatov, but wouldn't pay the £23million for Torres two years ago?
Because we have 80m headed our way? Because Berbatov is less of a risk (proven in England)?

Also, do we know whether Torres wanted to sign for us? I thought he was still pretty attached to Athletico at that point

Alex

Whatever you have to tell yourself

Garethw

Signing footballers isn't like walking into a cash and carry and heading to the aisle marked "strikers"

So many other factors to consider, like where your squad is in most urgent need of strengthening in the long-term? (i.e. if we'd signed Torres last season we probably wouldn't have had the funds to sign Nani and Anderson) and how willing the selling club are to make a sale (i.e. Atletico were ready and able to sell Torres to an English team but Spurs are desperate to avoid Berbatov doing the same)

These factors (and a load of others like them) means it's impossible to say "player a cost x million, therefore we should not pay more than y million for player b". If we get the player Fergie wants, I think it's silly to get up in arms about what it costs, that's not our concen.
Good post mate.

Mr. Wood

Circle Jerkin' Wannabe

Good post. I think most fans fail to consider many factors, including some that you've mentioned, when looking at prices.

Another one to think about is the player's wage, which can be a huge cost but isn't included in the transfer fee.

Count Duckula

Because we have 80m headed our way?
I'd wager we don't. Even if we do sell Ronaldo, it won't be for more than forty million or so. And we won't sell him.

Because Berbatov is less of a risk (proven in England)?
When you're talking about players of Torres' calibre, risk isn't really a factor. He was clearly going to succeed anywhere.

Also, do we know whether Torres wanted to sign for us? I thought he was still pretty attached to Athletico at that point
Yet a year later he was willing to move? Unlikely. We just didn't try hard enough.

Garethw

I just don't think Torres wanted to join us. SAF tracked him for 2-3 years each time being knocked back by Athletico or the player himself.

I think in the end Fergie just got fed up and changed targets, hence the arrival of Tevez.

REd FUn DevIl

I just don't think Torres wanted to join us. SAF tracked him for 2-3 years each time being knocked back by Athletico or the player himself.

I think in the end Fergie just got fed up and changed targets, hence the arrival of Tevez.
Exactly, i guess he preferred to link up with his Spanish mates that are a big bunch at Liverpool.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Torres was always a massive risk at the price. Unproven, inconsistent, unprolific in front of goal.

Liverpool took the gamble. So far its paying off nicely. If United had the intention of playing with a single focal point in attack, I don't doubt we may have looked there instead of at Tevez.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins

Torres had a reputation as a mummys boy. Didn't want to leave Madrid for anyone.

Instead we signed Tevez, and went on to win the double. We could have signed Torres and won nothing.

I'm delighted with how things have worked out. Wouldn't change it.

Garethw

Torres had a reputation as a mummys boy. Didn't want to leave Madrid for anyone.

Instead we signed Tevez, and went on to win the double. We could have signed Torres and won nothing.

I'm delighted with how things have worked out. Wouldn't change it.
Me neither mate. Torres could have been a great signing but we'll never know. Tevez has been a great signing, so for me that is peachy :D.

Now bring on the Berbatov and our squad will be the strongest its ever been.

Status
Not open for further replies.