Berbatov

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The price is a concern. It has to be. Football clubs are businesses, and in 99% of all the deals ever made in history, one side gets the better of it. United rarely get the better of theirs.

I've never liked this line from supporters, that 'it costs what it costs'. On one hand they want signings. Big, expensive Rolls Royce players. On the other hand, they want cheaper match tickets. These two things are not unrelated. You want one, then you won't get the other.

Personally I'm surprised that we are willing to go out and buy another 25m player, given the circumstances. If Ronaldo stays, we're going to have at least one 25m pound striker warming the bench every week. Great for the fans? Yes. Necessary? No. Overkill IMO.

Lets hope its because the Glazers are very comfortable with the books, and not because we have our own clan of Peter Ridsdales running the show.
I used to agree with this there again things had changed

Ronaldo will soon be leaving (either this or next season) and we would desperately need a quality striker to compensate to him. Berbatov offers that. He is a leader, he is experienced, he is technically gifted, he is a natural goalscorer and he can lead the line.

And Saha will be leaving ASAP.

GusHiddink

Alex Ferguson will not win another champions leagu
In the berbatov thread trying to push the deal thr

Ronaldo will soon be leaving (either this or next season) and we would desperately need a quality striker to compensate to him. Berbatov offers that. He is a leader, he is experienced, he is technically gifted, he is a natural goalscorer and he can lead the line.
with or without ronnie we've needed a striker of berbatov's calibre

devilish

We will bring Berbatov to add quality strength in depth to a forward line which needed more men. I doubt that SAF will be playing Rooney AND Tevez on the flanks just to accomodate all of three.

Ceks

Prefers em hot, and spicy
“We must respect the other fellow’s religion, but

And Saha will be leaving ASAP.
:D

Finally came round aye devilish. Fair play for admitting it.

devilish

with or without ronnie we've needed a striker of berbatov's calibre
We could have gone away with it. I mean a quality young striker could have done the trick. With Ronaldo's leaving that is not the case. We need an inspirational figure who would be able to fill Ronaldo's boots.

GusHiddink

We will bring Berbatov to add quality strength in depth to a forward line which needed more men. I doubt that SAF will be playing Rooney AND Tevez on the flanks just to accomodate all of three.
he'll play it sometimes home to the west broms of this world where we'll just look to blitz them

We could have gone away with it. I mean a quality young striker could have done the trick. With Ronaldo's leaving that is not the case. We need an inspirational figure who would be able to fill Ronaldo's boots.
Not in my eyes. Even if that young striker brought roughly the skill set that both rooney and tevez dont have i wouldnt have been convinced. I never saw rooney and tevez as our long term partnership and neither does fergie...if he did he would be forking out extortionate storms..he'd be buying a roque banter cruz to add depth and decent quality at cheap prices.

REd FUn DevIl

Exactly. Let's get our striker now that we can and try to adapt our style before Ronaldo leaves that will happen in the future (1 or 2 years probably).

In fact we will have our time to prove how good we are without Ronaldo even when he is not leaving and that's the 2 or 3 months he is gonna be out injured. I think this is a good time to prove ourselves.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
To me, part of the reason that Berbatov makes sense is that it allows not to take up the option on Tevez if it turns out that it doesn't make sense to do so... which might seem unlikely now, but is possible if the likes of Manucho and Welbeck continue to develop.

GusHiddink

To me, part of the reason that Berbatov makes sense is that it allows not to take up the option on Tevez if it turns out that it doesn't make sense to do so... which might seem unlikely now, but is possible if the likes of Manucho and Welbeck continue to develop.
It was never not unlikely. If the fee really is as high as is being banded about its too much..and we have a real decision to make.

Id still take him given his attitude, quality and age but not at the cost of say the berbatov deal. If next season say ronnie leaves then we'll have the money to pay for a replacement, sign tevez and one or 2 more e.g. a right back

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Never not unlikely hey?

I'm not sure the reports about the final fee are accurate. Given that we will have paid £10m to MSI already, a further £15m would probably swing it for us I think. One to think about carefully though when there are many promising young strikers at the club.

Sam

It was never not unlikely. If the fee really is as high as is being banded about its too much..and we have a real decision to make.
We will sign Tevez, it's a matter of when, not if. Fergie and Gill have said as much (on numerous occasions)

And I'm sorry but if the £25 odd million being branded about is too much, then the fee being touted for Berbatov is equally too high.

Sam

I'd like too see this team next season (if Berbatov is signed)

------------------------VDS------------------------

Brown/Neville-----Rio-----------Vidic-------------Evra

----------Carrick/Hargo-------Anderson/Scholes-------

--Rooney---------------Tevez---------------Ronaldo--

-----------------------Berbatov----------------------

The 3 behind Berbatov can just roam around, swapping positions, even swapping with Berbatov at times. Would be :drool::drool::drool:

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Agree with all of that.

Except the bit about Saha. If and when he's fit enough to play football, he can still make an impact.
True. As long as he isn't amongst out top 3 forwards there is no real problem in keeping him around. Unless Fergei feek Campbell is ready to step up. Because Manucho is he gets the work permit will ened to get sued to the English game. So Saha can help him out in the 4th forward role.

Rob Bowman

That has possibilities, but again it leaves us with problems. So many players to keep happy, or match sharp. Anderson and Nani need games to develop their potential. Maybe I'm worrying too much.

I suppose they are good problems to have. We have more tactical options than we're ever likely to need. In addition, if the worst happens and Ronaldo goes, we shouldn't miss him too terribly.

Doesn't convince me that Berbatov isn't an indulgence we could easily walk away from though.
Okay so you agree it has possibilities :devil:!!

Seriously now Giggs and Scholes have a very limited time left. Park and Fletch are squad players and are grateful for what they get. Saha is injured just about all the time so who flippin cares. Manchuo is unknown so if he wants to play he earns it. Which leaves us with Hargo, Nani, and Anderson really competing for spots and lets face it, if you want to start for United, you earn it. And to be honest I have always advocated needing about 3 quality players for every two positions on the pitch ala Keane, Scholes, and Butt in 99.

As for an indulgence, I would disagree. If Rooney or Tevez get hurt last year we are sunk. We survived Carrick with an elbow and Hargo with his knee all because we had depth. We need Berbs (or another quality striker/line leader) for security and all those options. With are squad we could play 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3 or whatever else we want. We need one more quality striker imho.

devilish

:D

Finally came round aye devilish. Fair play for admitting it.
Things had changed since we last talked. While in the past we could have got away with a good finisher (Santa Cruz type) because we always had Ronaldo, Tevez, Rooney and Nani at his back, now our best player will be going. Such big loss will not be filled by bringing someone like Santa Cruz.

PS: this kind of shows that I had never had anything against Berbatov. It was just that at that time we could afford of not bringing in a player like him at that price. Now (with Ronaldo leaving) no.

Rob Bowman

The 3 behind Berbatov can just roam around, swapping positions, even swapping with Berbatov at times. Would be :drool::drool::drool:
Nice formations... has a familiar, but good look ;)!!

In all honesty the 3 would swap willy-nilly, still I like Rooney in the center, Ron on the right, and Tevez on the left where he has played some for Argentina :).

devilish

Exactly. Let's get our striker now that we can and try to adapt our style before Ronaldo leaves that will happen in the future (1 or 2 years probably).

In fact we will have our time to prove how good we are without Ronaldo even when he is not leaving and that's the 2 or 3 months he is gonna be out injured. I think this is a good time to prove ourselves.
I would be surprised if Ronaldo remains till summer let alone in 2 years time. Cristiano is a unique player. He is a flank man capable of dribbling past players, cut deep, score 42 goals and convert many crosses into goals. You will not find someone like him in a million years. Therefore if he leaves then we have to change system and we need someone experienced to be able to fill his boots. Berbatov is one of the very few players capable of doing so.

Mr. Wood

Circle Jerkin' Wannabe
The price is a concern. It has to be. Football clubs are businesses, and in 99% of all the deals ever made in history, one side gets the better of it. United rarely get the better of theirs.
And what are the consequences of these deals? Have previous 'bad deals' limited his future spending power? If anything, the fact that Fergie has another 20m+ to spend this summer indicates that there hasn't been any negative effect from these past transfer deals.

Transfers are normally judged by assigning a cost to a player - for example, we ask whether Hargreaves was really worth the 18m, whether Berbatov is worth 25m. But I don't think that's the best way to think about it. You could also consider that Fergie may only want one or two players each summer. If he needed, say, five players, he might be tempted to go for a few 5m deals (which would equal out to 25m). But if Berbatov is the only player he wants, why not spend the 25m? Fergie's in a good position, in that the squad is more or less perfect, and just needs a tweak here and there. So rather than spreading his money thin, as managers with inferior squads would likely do, he spends it all in one place. The money's available, so why not?

Bilbo said:
On one hand they want signings. Big, expensive Rolls Royce players. On the other hand, they want cheaper match tickets. These two things are not unrelated. You want one, then you won't get the other.
I doubt you have enough information to draw the link between expensive transfers and ticket prices. United have lots of costs, and the high ticket prices go to paying many of those - transfer fees is just one. You MIGHT be right, but I highly doubt you have anywhere near enough information to say that we shouldn't sign Berbatov because then it will cost too much to go to games.

Also, United aren't the only expensive team to watch in England. I'm sure many clubs that are a bit more frugal in the transfer market (eg, Arsenal) would also have ticket prices around the same range. In other words, I doubt there's a strong link between expensive transfers and high ticket prices.

Classy Cannon

Left Back <font face="Arial"color="White"> in the
Cristiano is a unique player. He is a flank man capable of dribbling past players, cut deep, score 42 goals and convert many crosses into goals.
Nani has the potential to do what Ronaldo does. OK he won't score 42 goals, though I doubt whether Ronaldo would come close to that again, but Nani will probably create more than him.

Younited.7

united.7
&quot;I am a man with simple tastes - I am always
I would be surprised if Ronaldo remains till summer let alone in 2 years time. Cristiano is a unique player. He is a flank man capable of dribbling past players, cut deep, score 42 goals and convert many crosses into goals. You will not find someone like him in a million years. Therefore if he leaves then we have to change system and we need someone experienced to be able to fill his boots. Berbatov is one of the very few players capable of doing so.
We need another winger if Ronaldo leaves, or an Aguero type player. Rooney and Tevez don't quite supply the penetration (excuse me) that Ronaldo does, we would need his direct running replaced. Maybe Anderson could play there, as the Chief says, he has pace and skill to burn.

--------------Berbatov---------------

Aguero--------Rooney--------Tevez

*This is very much a dream, or an alternative to Ronaldo.

Berbatov isn't replacing Ronaldo, Fergie mentioned the need for a striker before this whole saga began. He will buy another fast, creative attacker if Ronaldo packs his bags, and he will have a lot of money to do so. Whether he can find a winger capable enough i don't know, Ronaldo isn't a winger/attacker that crosses the ball very often anyways, i don't see why we couldn't replace him with a fast, skillful attacking midfielder like Aguero. If Fergie feels it is best to field a 4-4-2, we can play Hargreaves on the right, Evra on the left and Nani in either of these positions. There will be a need to replace Ronaldo when he leaves basically.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
You all seem to forget that we have a potentially incredible attacking player in Anderson.
Shhh, you can't say that around here without being called an "Anderson fan boy".

But aye, indeed. I don't think many people on this board appreciate that we have what could be one of the most complete midfielders we've seen in a while.

Younited.7

united.7
I'd like to see him in a more attacking role, personally.
He needs to sharpen up on his shooting and general effectiveness in the final third.

I still think he can be a potent weapon from midfield a la Scholes, but faster and magically skillful. He won't necessarily have Scholes timing or shot, he does need to be working in that direction though.

LizardKing

First Team Regular
I'm the crawling king snake and I rule my den.
I don't think his shooting is bad, I can't remember him having many shots last season. The one thing that frustrates me about him is that he'll be up with the attack but instead of driving into the box or getting in a dangerous position, he'll stop and hover around the edge of the box. I guess it'll all come with experience though.

VP

Yep, have a feeling that will be the team next season. Plus throw in some exciting cameos from Nani and Giggs, I really can't see us losing many games with that lineup.

Younited.7

united.7
I think Nani will be more important than people think:

---------------------------VDS------------------------

---Brown/Neville------Rio------------Vidic----------Evra/Fabio

----------Carrick/Hargo/Fletch-------Anderson/Scholes-------

Ronaldo/Nani/Tevez--------Tevez/Rooney--------Ronaldo/Giggs/Nani

-------------------------Berbatov/Rooney----------------------

*I feel that these are our main options.

Predominantly:

---------------------------VDS-----------------------

Brown------------Rio---------------Vidic----------Evra

Ronaldo--------Scholes------------Carrick---------Nani

----------------------Rooney/Tevez-------------------

------------------------Berbatov----------------------

Or what Sam suggested:

-----------------------Berbatov-----------------------

Ruud_boy_10

Here we go again. Signing a striker that CANT hit 20+ goals a season. He's too old, too expensive and vastly overrated! We could do so much better. Robbie Keane is a better player than him FFS.

P.S. Didn't he claim to have turned us down for spurs 2 years ago? feck him i say! Let him rot in that shit hole for all i care.

Status
Not open for further replies.