Bernardo Silva | Man City Player

padr81

Supports
Man City
This is group chat banter, you don't post it online to millions of followers. I'm sure Mendy took it well but it's inappropriate on Twitter IMO.
100%, misconduct charge incoming Id say and he can have no complaints. Pro footballers should know better.

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
This is group chat banter, you don't post it online to millions of followers. I'm sure Mendy took it well but it's inappropriate on Twitter IMO.
Don’t wanna speak for black people but right. Keep it in your friends chat.

Same thing happened with that Newcastle defender and his two black teammates.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
What's wrong with that tweet? And what character is that on the right?

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Ah, that's where Gucci got their inspiration from.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I think the fact hes equating Mendy to that character is exactly what society needs to be moving away from. Regardless of whether Mendy has a problem with it, its over the line for whats acceptable. Another case of a person whose probably not racist doing something stupid and racist without even realizing. Its still deserving of whatever comes his way, stupid to the highest degree.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It’s the character of a Spanish peanut brand.

This is the original advertisement that used to run:
The name Conguitos must be reference/derive from the word Congo/Congolese?

Andrew Wolf

Supports
Manchester City
I think the fact hes equating Mendy to that character is exactly what society needs to be moving away from. Regardless of whether Mendy has a problem with it, its over the line for whats acceptable. Another case of a person whose probably not racist doing something stupid and racist without even realizing. Its still deserving of whatever comes his way, stupid to the highest degree.
I compare my white mate to TinTin. Am i racist or does it only apply to black people and characters?

You're being a drama queen.

This world has gone to pot. He's hardly going to compare him to a white character is

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
I compare my white mate to TinTin. Am i racist or does it only apply to black people and characters?

This world has gone to pot. He's hardly going to compare him to a white character is
It is modern day society they look at color first. In other words they perceive it as racist thus it becomes racist. I doubt racism was even a factor in his or Mendy mind and they both got a good laugh.

If it was a white comparison everyone would be laughing and no one would think its racist. It should go both way but it does not.

amolbhatia50k

What if he actually looks like a cartoon character? Is he only allowed to believe he looks like white cartoon characters?

amolbhatia50k

My guess is this relates to the stereotyping of races in cartoons and comics? Like representation of Indians in America being Abu (?) from the Simpsons who is a caricature with no layers. But if I have a mate who actually looks just like Abu, I don't see the issue with pointing that out.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Whether you think it's racist or not, my god you have to be seriously dumb to post anything like that on twitter in 2019. If it's even remotely questionable people are desperate to immediately tear you to bits, they love it.

padr81

Supports
Man City

Im not, but there is going to be a backlash to these kind of things because it offends some people. I have an american buddy who got killed for calling me paddy on facebook. Ironically Im an english man called padraig. Paddy is literally the short for my name, hes calls me that al the time in private and I laugh it off. But because I lived most my life in Clare people got offended for me. It offends some irish people. My american buddy was in the wrong even if I personally found his post harmless.

Silva should know better, plain and simple. I called a united fan out on a post that I felt was beyond the line recently about abu dhabi and it was nothing compared to bernardo's. Id be a hypocrite to pass off Bernardo's. It was a stupid post, based on race. Just because person x will not be insulted doesn't mean person y and z will not.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Whether you think it's racist or not, my god you have to be seriously dumb to post anything like that on twitter in 2019. If it's even remotely questionable people are desperate to immediately tear you to bits, they love it.
This was pretty much my thought too. Unless you have no idea how the internet works you should be able to guess that posting that on twitter will attract criticism.

padr81

Supports
Man City
What if he actually looks like a cartoon character? Is he only allowed to believe he looks like white cartoon characters?
What has Mendy in common with that cartoon character? I see nothing other than color. Zero other features to my eyes.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
What has Mendy in common with that cartoon character? I see nothing other than color. Zero other features to my eyes.
A cartoon character that one doesn't need to google to guess has itself been accused of being racist in the past.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Sadly this is true if you are famous in any way you cant be posting stuff that might bring negative responses as harmless as they may be. Its 2019 people get offended for anything.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Just got a text from one of my friends on bluemoon, apparently accorsing to one poster there its my fault Bernardo might get done for this and Im only calling him out on this is because I want you all to love me... jesus wept.

Conor

Some people really don't seem to get this whole racism thing, equating this to calling your white mate TinTin :houllier:

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Shocked to see that. Obviously Mendy doesn’t have a problem with it but that’s besides the point. No malice or racist intent behind it from Bernardo, what it is is very ignorant though. I hope he is educated about why it is offensive and accepts any punishment with grace. And people once again equating it to ‘what if he was white and compared to a white character’ for fecks sake either please educate yourself or stop being disingenuous.

Skills

Snitch
Just got a text from one of my friends on bluemoon, apparently accorsing to one poster there its my fault Bernardo might get done for this and Im only calling him out on this is because I want you all to love me... jesus wept.
:lol:

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Undercover rag

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Wonder what words Sterling may have for him about that. Idiotic behavior, especially the digging even deeper afterwards.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
One of us! One of us!

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Although even funnier is someone non-ironically coming out with the argument that he actually looks like the cartoon character in the tweet. Christ on a bike.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Undercover rag
If I was, I'd be a united fan posing as a city fan on a united forum. I'd literally be Undercover on the wrong forum. Could never understand that logic

Although even funnier is someone non-ironically coming out with the argument that he actually looks like the cartoon character in the tweet. Christ on a bike.
Haven't seen the thread just the message from my buddy. That's a shocking post. I can't understand people who defend this stuff. There are even people on here defending Bernardo... I can't wrap my head around it.

poleglass red

Public people whether it's banter with their mates or what have to be more online savvy. Even last weeks UFC bill in Mexico, UFC fighters Ortega and Velasquez were caught on camera shouting with the crowd a derogatory term at Jeremy Stephens. Silly, stupid actions by public sportsmen, any malice towards the community who'd be offended by the term, most probably not, just silly laddish behaviour. Years ago we wouldn't even have known about it, but it's a different era now and with that comes more responsiblity of your own behaviour. You can't control what other people say or write about you, but you can control what you say or text.

Number4.

For anyone using the "but if he put up a photo of KDB and tin - tin defence" - this is utter nonsense. The product is translated as Congo Boy and whether intentionally or not, has deep rooted connotations. not to mention the character styling on pack

For anyone using the "but it's just banter between mates" defense, it's certainly not. It is shared in a public forum and players need to understand their responsibilities when posting - end off

but the saddest thing about the case is Pep's reply. Raheem Sterling has long fought and talked about how ignorance cannot be held up as an excuse for racist behaviour & yet as soon as one of Pep's players makes an error of judgement (I dont believe BS to be racist, it was a stupid thing to post), Pep goes into the "Good Guy" Spiel.

It is an absolute kick in the B*llocks for Sterling & the bravery he has shown over the last few years.

Reactions: SteveJ

Hughes35

Why do you think it's racist? I'm actually interested.

I have a mate (white) that looks like Arnold from the old cartoon "Hey Arnold" and people send him the pic all the time. What's the difference?

troylocker

Maybe Bernardo didn't mean any harm with his "jokes" and just wanted to have some fun with his teammate, but sharing this with your 600k followers on twitter and 1,7M followers on Instagram shows that you are more than a little ignorant. Not being humble and apologize when confronted with it just shows us that he is just a complete jackass with a broken morale compass. It is a racist joke, not a hateful one, but racist none the less. Making a comparison of similarity based on skincolor alone is, making that comparison as a joke definitely is. The one he put on Instagram with him "joking" about Mendy being naked while wearing black clothes is in the same category. If he absolutely must tell racist jokes to Mendy, he should tell them directly to him, not through his 600k + 1,7M fans on social media. Then it definitely does not qualify as a joke among friends anymore. Being a sports star and/or a public person comes with some responsibility.

Try explaining to your kids (who follow him on twitter/Instagram) why these "jokes" are funny and tell them that sharing these kind of jokes in their social media channels are totally ok. I know I can't...

JustAGuest

If I was, I'd be a united fan posing as a city fan on a united forum. I'd literally be Undercover on the wrong forum. Could never understand that logic

Haven't seen the thread just the message from my buddy. That's a shocking post. I can't understand people who defend this stuff. There are even people on here defending Bernardo... I can't wrap my head around it.
How do you feel about your manager defending it?

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
but the saddest thing about the case is Pep's reply. Raheem Sterling has long fought and talked about how ignorance cannot be held up as an excuse for racist behaviour & yet as soon as one of Pep's players makes an error of judgement (I dont believe BS to be racist, it was a stupid thing to post), Pep goes into the "Good Guy" Spiel.

It is an absolute kick in the B*llocks for Sterling & the bravery he has shown over the last few years.
Yeah, his reply was disappointing.