Bernardo Silva | Man City Player

Ramos

Still can't believe how a brand that uses black people as chocolate reference is not considered racist around here. Just look at those adverts ffs.
Yeah, looks like something from the Jim Crow era.

Camilo

Still can't believe how a brand that uses black people as chocolate reference is not considered racist around here. Just look at those adverts ffs.
Different cultures. Doesn't make our opinion the right one, regardless of how obvious it may seem to us.

LVGSdive

I hope Pep's being disingenuous there and isn't truly insinuating the image Bernardo Silva used looked similar to Mendy. Pep, speaker of 5 languages, should understand the distinction between comparing a white person and a black person to a cartoon image such as the one Silva used.
So as long as it is mocking a white person it's OK? This is my problem with 'racism' it's one rule for one race and another for another.

I am white/caucasian and if someone said I looked like a cartoon character I wouldn't find it offensive or racist at all. For that matter neither did Mendy, he realised that 1) he did look like the character and 2) it was just a joke.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
One of the big problems is that when people say racist stuffs or things that could be perceived as racist and are criticized for it, they get defensive. The truth is that we all say stupid things, some are racist, others are sexist, sometimes we know it and other times we don't. The only thing that actually matters is that when we are told that it's not right, we accept it, apologise and try to not do it again.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
So as long as it is mocking a white person it's OK? This is my problem with 'racism' it's one rule for one race and another for another.

I am white/caucasian and if someone said I looked like a cartoon character I wouldn't find it offensive or racist at all. For that matter neither did Mendy, he realised that 1) he did look like the character and 2) it was just a joke.
You haven't been segregated from society and enslaved due to your skin colour. It's pretty simple.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Surprisingly John Barnes on sky also didnt feel anything racist from Silva twitter post.

Barnes believes Silva would have a case to answer had he posted the Conguitos cartoon, where the character is an African tribesman, but not for the picture.

"Showing a caricature of a little black boy, and a real black boy, how is that racial stereotyping?" asked Barnes. "He did not show the cartoon, all he did was put up two pictures.

"If he talked about the cartoon they [the FA and Kick It Out] can then say, 'yes that's discriminatory'. It's just a picture of two people and some may argue they look alike.

Will be interesting to see what Sterling thinks.
This is the same John Barnes who - during the Suarez/Evra thing - said that "ignorance is an excuse" and equated what Suarez said to calling someone a "scouser" or a "manc"

He's also the John Barnes that when Danny Rose complained of receiving racial abuse - i think with England - said that he shouldn't be complaining about racism 'cos he's a millionaire.

SO I wouldn't take John Barnes statements on what is and isn't racist too seriously.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

There is no comparison to make here. White never faced the kinda racism, slave trade and general discrimination that blacks have endured throughout history.
What you said displays some concerning ignorance

LVGSdive

There is no comparison to make here. White never faced the kinda racism, slave trade and general discrimination that blacks have endured throughout history.
What you said displays some concerning ignorance
This is true white people haven't had to face stuff like slavery. I don't agree with that and that was well before my time on this planet.

And because of this, the same rules don't apply? If someone of any race looks like a cartoon character, then they look like a cartoon character.

Again even Mendy himself, a black man, a friend of Silva, didn't consider this racist. As well as John Barnes another black man also came out on Sky Sports and said that this was ridiculous that this was considered racist. So there's 2 black men that agree with me on this matter.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
John Barnes' opinions on race lack credibility, IMO. He tied himself in knots desperately trying not to condemn Luis Suarez.

kentafuji

This is the same John Barnes who - during the Suarez/Evra thing - said that "ignorance is an excuse" and equated what Suarez said to calling someone a "scouser" or a "manc"

He's also the John Barnes that when Danny Rose complained of receiving racial abuse - i think with England - said that he shouldn't be complaining about racism 'cos he's a millionaire.

SO I wouldn't take John Barnes statements on what is and isn't racist too seriously.
He has also recently supported Peter Beardsley as just having 'banter'.

So yeah Barnes should just be ignored.

ThomasEmil

Invisible Herrera Watcher
I compare my white mate to TinTin. Am i racist or does it only apply to black people and characters?

You're being a drama queen.

This world has gone to pot. He's hardly going to compare him to a white character is
This. People needs to get hobbies instead of acting PC when two mates create banter. If Mendy doesn't have a problem with it, then feck what the world thinks.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I will say, by and large, our resident Portuguese posters are by far the most patriotic lot I've seen on this website. They truly defend their countrymen tooth and nail no matter what. The Ronaldo threads, the Jose threads and now this thread.
It's really not a good thing.

kouroux

This is true white people haven't had to face stuff like slavery. I don't agree with that and that was well before my time on this planet.

And because of this, the same rules don't apply? If someone of any race looks like a cartoon character, then they look like a cartoon character.

Again even Mendy himself, a black man, a friend of Silva, didn't consider this racist. As well as John Barnes another black man also came out on Sky Sports and said that this was ridiculous that this was considered racist. So there's 2 black men that agree with me on this matter.
I am black and I don't agree with you :lol: Is this what we're gonna resort to ?
Being black doesn't give one pore validity when it comes to talking about this subject

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I compare my white mate to TinTin. Am i racist or does it only apply to black people and characters?

You're being a drama queen.

This world has gone to pot. He's hardly going to compare him to a white character is
TinTin isn't a racist caricature, the cartoon Silva referenced was. I doubt it was intentional though

SLBenfica1904

Supports
SLBenfica
I will say, by and large, our resident Portuguese posters are by far the most patriotic lot I've seen on this website. They truly defend their countrymen tooth and nail no matter what. The Ronaldo threads, the Jose threads and now this thread.
I'm a Portuguese poster too and I will give my opinion. I honestly think that Bernardo is not racist, but has fault in using the social media, that is shared with everyone. When he uses it, he needs to deal with the opinion of people and mentioning skin color is of course a sensible topic, you need to be careful. He is not dumb, so should have thought about it. The reaction after the critics was a childish and just make things worse for him and the perspective other people have on him. About the video itself, it is something similar to things I already said to a black friend like after the summer when everyone has darker skin, say "You're really tanned man" or to a friend that have s lot of body hair in "Don't go to the shower before you take your clothes", it's something that is perfectly acceptable between friends. Ignoring that there are differences between everyone won't solve any issue, will just transform it in a taboo.

Bruno Marques

Supports
Vitória de Setúbal
Here it comes the lies that white man never faced slavery. hahah. Ignorants. Europe was based on having slaves from north to the south. From vikings to romans, from greeks to barbarians. Just not to talk about the barbarys full of white slaves on 1800
It doesn't count does it?

If someone says that i look like peter griffin, a stereotype of an american it's ok. But to say that someone looks like a conguito is really awfull.

To think that my rules apply to all over the world. That racism is measured equally trough all cultures it's really something great. And even when someone that was supposed to be offended by your views, isn't. Then he isn't a true african or whatever. A true narcisistic way of thinking.

You dont like the post stop following. You have your right to take your power back. You don't like the brand, don't buy it. You think that everyone has time or wants to keeps micro analising everything. Should someone to post something go dig deep trough the history of a certain brand, author or whatever. Where does it stop?

When someone posts something, posts trough their way of thinking and trough their way of seeing things. Not trough yours. If you find racism there, it's on you. Don't ask everyone to think like you. You don't know how many times in Portugal theres the use of conguito in a friendly and "lovely" way but you prefer to see it by your eyes and your experiences.

kouroux

I'm a Portuguese poster too and I will give my opinion. I honestly think that Bernardo is not racist, but has fault in using the social media, that is shared with everyone. When he uses it, he needs to deal with the opinion of people and mentioning skin color is of course a sensible topic, you need to be careful. He is not dumb, so should have thought about it. The reaction after the critics was a childish and just make things worse for him and the perspective other people have on him. About the video itself, it is something similar to things I already said to a black friend like after the summer when everyone has darker skin, say "You're really tanned man" or to a friend that have s lot of body hair in "Don't go to the shower before you take your clothes", it's something that is perfectly acceptable between friends. Ignoring that there are differences between everyone won't solve any issue, will just transform it in a taboo.
Bernardo Silva is obviously not a racist indeed. As far as I'm concerned he made a P.R blunder. These situations are swiftly dealt with an apology and things are forgotten.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Bernardo Silva is obviously not a racist indeed. As far as I'm concerned he made a P.R blunder. These situations are swiftly dealt with an apology and things are forgotten.
A few observations, sorry if repeating others.

Bernardo is almost certainly not knowingly racist (though I’ve heard very few say that he is, even City haters) but his tweet was awful.

The “joke” should not have been played out in a public domain.

Once it slipped out the quick deletion should have been accompanied with an apology and explanation of the friendship between the two people involved.

The club should have anticipated that Pep would be quizzed on the matter at the first opportunity and briefed him on the club’s position on the matter. They failed to do so.

Pep should be savvy enough to not trivialise what happened.

Bernardo should donate a considerable sum to an appropriate charity and the club should at least match it.

All players should think long and hard about their use of social media. There’s too much of this sort of stuff going on.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Expect the FA are awaiting them playing Liverpool before issuing a ban :wenger:

padr81

Supports
Man City

Bernardo is almost certainly not knowingly racist (though I’ve heard very few say that he is, even City haters) but his tweet was awful.

Once it slipped out the quick deletion should have been accompanied with an apology and explanation of the friendship between the two people involved.

The club should have anticipated that Pep would be quizzed on the matter at the first opportunity and briefed him on the club’s position on the matter. They failed to do so.

Bernardo should donate a considerable sum to an appropriate charity and the club should at least match it.

All players should think long and hard about their use of social media. There’s too much of this sort of stuff going on.
This times 1000, I feel like as a club we've really fecking dropped the ball on this from top to bottom. All it would have taken is one simple apology but I suspect that never came because it would be an admission of guilt and probably a ban. I defended the club on their stance when the players sang the Kiev song because it genuinely was nothing to do with what Pool fans were making it out to be. This is different, all Bernardo had to do was apologize and than Pep come out and say "Bernardo is a nice lad, but that was stupid and we'll be talking to him about whats appropriate and whats not in private".

LVGSdive

I am black and I don't agree with you :lol: Is this what we're gonna resort to ?
Being black doesn't give one pore validity when it comes to talking about this subject
What exactly makes it racist? Because I am obviously missing the point, considering multiple or even most poster's are making on here when saying that Silva's tweet was indeed racist.

Maybe it doesn't give one pore validity. However, I haven't seen anyone black or white, that was able to give a logical explanation that the Chelsea fan didn't racially abuse Raheem Sterling last season. Or that the analyst on Italian TV didn't make racist comments when talking about Lakaku.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Here it comes the lies that white man never faced slavery. hahah. Ignorants. Europe was based on having slaves from north to the south. From vikings to romans, from greeks to barbarians. Just not to talk about the barbarys full of white slaves on 1800
It doesn't count does it?

If someone says that i look like peter griffin, a stereotype of an american it's ok. But to say that someone looks like a conguito is really awfull.

To think that my rules apply to all over the world. That racism is measured equally trough all cultures it's really something great. And even when someone that was supposed to be offended by your views, isn't. Then he isn't a true african or whatever. A true narcisistic way of thinking.

You dont like the post stop following. You have your right to take your power back. You don't like the brand, don't buy it. You think that everyone has time or wants to keeps micro analising everything. Should someone to post something go dig deep trough the history of a certain brand, author or whatever. Where does it stop?

When someone posts something, posts trough their way of thinking and trough their way of seeing things. Not trough yours. If you find racism there, it's on you. Don't ask everyone to think like you. You don't know how many times in Portugal theres the use of conguito in a friendly and "lovely" way but you prefer to see it by your eyes and your experiences.
It counts, there is a big difference though. Being considered sub human and all...

Its besides the point though, he referenced a racist caricature from a company which has had issues with that imagery in the past. I don't think he should be surprised with the backlash.

Similarly others have also received backlash. Doesn't make him a racist, but to not see why it caused offence is a bit silly

If someone said a black person looked like Clevland from the Clevland show it wouldn't be considered racist. Conguito however is something different.

Re 'conguito' being used in a lovely way... erm I have also seen the N word used in such a way, doesn't make it right buddy.

Last edited:

padr81

Supports
Man City
I can't hear this right now, what is he saying?
He says "I've just seen a world cup champion naked." He than walks over to Mendy who is wearing all black and says "Ben why are you not wearing any clothes."
Mendy says "Because I'm so beautiful" or something to that effect.

Inter Yer Nan

He says "I've just seen a world cup champion naked." He than walks over to Mendy who is wearing all black and says "Ben why are you not wearing any clothes."
Mendy says "Because I'm so beautiful" or something to that effect.
Not racist just a bit stupid really. He's not got a career in comedy after his football days are over but it's just dumb stuff not "racist" IMO. As Sandikan said a few posts above, I sort of expect the FA to ban him for the Liverpool game unfortunately.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
This times 1000, I feel like as a club we've really fecking dropped the ball on this from top to bottom. All it would have taken is one simple apology but I suspect that never came because it would be an admission of guilt and probably a ban. I defended the club on their stance when the players sang the Kiev song because it genuinely was nothing to do with what Pool fans were making it out to be. This is different, all Bernardo had to do was apologize and than Pep come out and say "Bernardo is a nice lad, but that was stupid and we'll be talking to him about whats appropriate and whats not in private".
Yep.
We as a club do a lot right at the moment but this is poor.

GenZRed

Find it unbelievable how laid back Pep "racism is everywhere" Guardiola is about this incident.

GenZRed

You haven't been segregated from society and enslaved due to your skin colour. It's pretty simple.
Whites have also been enslaved in history. The Romans enslaved other white people. The Norse conqueres (AKA Vikings) enslaved white people yet they get romanised in history textbooks.

The Arabs enslaved Spanish people when they invaded Spain. Yes this all happened long before slavery, but the idea that only whites were slave traders and only Africans were slaves, is just nonsense. Slavery has been widespread for thousands of years across all cultures.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Not racist just a bit stupid really. He's not got a career in comedy after his football days are over but it's just dumb stuff not "racist" IMO. As Sandikan said a few posts above, I sort of expect the FA to ban him for the Liverpool game unfortunately.
My whole issue with it and the twitter pic, is not that Bernardo is racist but the post is. The fact that some 12 year old might watch it and say it to a classmate or something is the big issue. These types of "jokes" are best kept to private convo's and slagging between friends because it gives ammo to people/kids to use the same statements etc.. sometimes out of ignorance that can offend.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Whites have also been enslaved in history. The Romans enslaved other white people. The Norse conqueres (AKA Vikings) enslaved white people yet they get romanised in history textbooks.

The Arabs enslaved Spanish people when they invaded Spain. Yes this all happened long before slavery, but the idea that only whites were slave traders and only Africans were slaves, is just nonsense. Slavery has been widespread for thousands of years across all cultures.
As an archaeologist I’m well versed in slavery and the history of it in societies. If you did not understand the difference in black people being enslaved in recent history and those of past societies/civilisations then you’re a moron.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
As an archaeologist I’m well versed in slavery and the history of it in societies. If you did not understand the difference in black people being enslaved in recent history and those of past societies/civilisations then you’re a moron.
I mean, it's obvious that he is a moron. No pre-qualification needed, he's approved for a big fat check of moron

kouroux

What exactly makes it racist? Because I am obviously missing the point, considering multiple or even most poster's are making on here when saying that Silva's tweet was indeed racist.

Maybe it doesn't give one pore validity. However, I haven't seen anyone black or white, that was able to give a logical explanation that the Chelsea fan didn't racially abuse Raheem Sterling last season. Or that the analyst on Italian TV didn't make racist comments when talking about Lakaku.
I didn't say that, I wasn't arguing about that.

Exactly. He made a mistake that he could have easily dealt with.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Quality control
People creating a whole drama by being offended for other people who aren’t offended themselves is so 2018. Pretty sure 98% of the people commenting how Silva should apologize are in no way affected by any of this. It’s such a non-issue, meanwhile you have actual racism going on in Italian football among other countries. How about the focus is on that and not the humor Silva and Mendy share as close friends of many years, social media or not? The only mistake he made is not realizing how toxic social media has become with its virtue-signaling crowds. It has nothing to do with morality or righteousness. Who gives a feck if some people are offended? Is intent completely irrelevant now? Is Silva supposed to know the source of every cartoons that could be racist? Is Mendy hurt by this? No? Then feck off and stop using this a stick to beat on the guy. He doesn’t owe an apology to anybody, and if that’s all it takes for this to go away, it shows just how superficial all this outrage is.
Don’t @ me either, I’m not interested.

Fluctuation0161

Alot of assumption this post. Context is key. There is history of dehumanisation and belittling of black people using those types of images. Also, hundreds of years of slavery and oppression can tend to make some people a little more sensitive to these issues. Can you appreciate that?

Also, in the context of two friends joking privately because they know and trust there is zero prejudice this comment could be conisidered funny, by some people, privately.

In the context of sharing this publically to people who cannot trust 100% that there is no wider prejudice it unacceptable. Also, consider the wider societal influence I.e. black kids playing football now may get similar jokes because if Bernando and Mendy did it, it must be fine.

Again, context is key.

Fluctuation0161

Lesson 1: All black people don't have a hive mind or have the same opinion.

mwake

Supports
Liverpool
Regardless even if they are best freinds Silva's post was a perpetuation of a racist stereotype. What we need is education, I'm seeing a lot of comments from people who don't really understand what racism actually is, no wonder some black people are so frustrated in life with the things that they have to put up with.

Even if you say something like that publically in innocent jest many of these stereotypes perpetuate the deeper ignorance that is in our society, thats why we need more debate and education on all levels. Silva should have known better, the fact that he didn't even after it was pointed out to him is indicative of how ignorant he is of racist stereotypes. Also im not saying hang him till hes dead, thats silly as well, instead of apologies I wish we had more education to promote understanding on racism and its history.