Best crests in football?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
That's class. Haven't seen that before. Is it in honour of any particular player of theirs or just representing a footballer?
Don't know honestly, but I suspect it's just depicting a player in their kit.

Sparta is the oldest Dutch pro club by the way. Founded in 1888.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
The Oldham owl is great, so stoic and bedraggled.

To continue the theme:

As a boy I strongly recall being fascinated by the word 'Wednesday' in a football team's name and liked the owl design on the left-hand badge. Their newer/old crest isn't really my cup of tea but generally-speaking it's nice to see old designs being brought back.
Love the Wednesday crest on the left. It's sort of slick and minimal in the way that football crests are now in the modern era, and yet they've gone back to a more elaborate and vintage looking crest instead. Not sure I care for the one on the right, it's a bit cartoony for me. The left crest is perfect IMO.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The old version was much cooler.

The Liverpool badge epitomises all the busyness that I hate in football crests. I know the significance of the Hillsbrough stuff but it doesn’t make for good design.

The simple liver bird on their kits is much better (but lose the “LFC”, it’s unnecessary).
re. Wolves. I see what you mean, but you can tell that's from a bygone era as it looks dated, even down to the font. Most clubs feel the need to update their crest or tamper with it in some manner every few decades or so, either through tragedy or just plain modernisation. I have liked Wolves crest for quite some time (since they changed it from that leaping wolf thing) and think it has a lot of potential in terms of merchandise.

Liverpool's badge, I dunno, it leaves the impression it's supposed to on me, personally. Makes me emote. It's proud, defiant and has a few messages that gee up their support and piss off everybody else. Just perfect as far as what you want in a badge - I think ours does the same. The old, massive liver bird emblem they used to have, I think looks a bit dated now and I think clubs avoid that because it represents stasis, and although it celebrates the club, it can appear as though you've no forward-thinking ambition if you don't update.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Love the Wednesday crest on the left. It's sort of slick and minimal in the way that football crests are now in the modern era, and yet they've gone back to a more elaborate and vintage looking crest instead. Not sure I care for the one on the right, it's a bit cartoony for me. The left crest is perfect IMO.
Definitely. I too prefer the left one as a design, though I must also acknowledge that growing up that was the Sheffield Wednesday crest, so anything else is more likely to appear worse or at least look odd to me compared to that. As for the right-hand one I like the idea of older fans getting excited about seeing that old badge again on a Wednesday shirt, so even if I'm with you in preferring the cleaner design on the left I'm also happy they've gone back to the vintage one.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal

This version is freaking gorgeous.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto

Italy was always one step ahead when it comes to design and art.

RochaRoja

The Oldham owl is great, so stoic and bedraggled.

To continue the theme:

As a boy I strongly recall being fascinated by the word 'Wednesday' in a football team's name and liked the owl design on the left-hand badge. Their newer/old crest isn't really my cup of tea but generally-speaking it's nice to see old designs being brought back.

:lol:
If the one on the left were just the owl without the shield and everything else it’d be great.

The one on the right is utter trash.

RochaRoja

Probably the ones that have become iconic over the years: Milan, classic Inter, Roma, Valencia, Ajax etc.
They ruined the Roma badge with the recent update. Romulus, Remus and the wolf look too cartoony and the font is naff.

Love that they brought back the classic badge for the away kits though.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
If the one on the left were just the owl without the shield and everything else it’d be great.

I couldn't agree more, but think of the old chaps on the terraces at Hillsborough reminiscing about old times :D

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
What type of screens are most of you using?

Revaulx

It was when it was first introduced. Late 60s/early 70s I think. Everything else was added 20 years later, and certainly spoils it.

It looks self-consciously "retro", and the owl looks ridiculous. The mean-looking Oldham owl is far superior.

RochaRoja

re. Wolves. I see what you mean, but you can tell that's from a bygone era as it looks dated, even down to the font. Most clubs feel the need to update their crest or tamper with it in some manner every few decades or so, either through tragedy or just plain modernisation. I have liked Wolves crest for quite some time (since they changed it from that leaping wolf thing) and think it has a lot of potential in terms of merchandise.
I totally agree that it’s a hugely marketable crest, I just don’t like the hexagon outline.

The modern version but with just the wolf’s head in black would be perfect.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible

I quite like the shield and initials. It ties it all together as a club crest, but I do like the Owl on it's own for general branding.

Having just that on a polo or a training top would be pretty slick. That on its own has aged incredibly well in terms of the minimal design, yet they've just gone and ditched it for that vintage cartoony one.

Halftrack

And the Wales National Team crest is amazing

Ten years ago, the Norwegian FA tried introducing this :

I like it, with the lindworm representing our Viking heritage, but people got super pissy about there not being a Norwegian flag there. So they ditched it and continued using a a white circle with a Norwegian flag in it.

A few years ago, though, they introduced this:

And I think it looks pretty good. Norwegians apparently can't live without the flag, and that's probably as good as it gets with that requirement in place.

Chipper

Adulterer.
More like his arch-enemy Bluto to me because of the hair and beard. He's actually called Baciccia according to wiki which they say is Genoese for Giovanni Battista in Italiian or John-Baptist in English. Probably Jean-Baptiste in French.

But yeah, people often associate it with Popeye and there's loads of associated artwork.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Each to their own understanding, and if you like it, you simply like it.

From my perspective, there's no historic association between a bull and Juventus, even though I see what you mean. The problem to me is that:

1) The first look you take it looks like a Ji / JJ. No I or double J is in "Juventus", which therefore makes it un-aligned with the club-name.

2) The white/blank line in between the JI / JJ is also something the eye wonders over and as a designer makes you go "Why?" as it optically competes with the JI / JJ, giving them all attention at the same time. It's like the eye tries to look and make sense of all 3 "letters" at the same time, and none of the 3 letters gives any reasonable answer or anecdote to history or the club.

Anyways, as you, I like the way they go with black and white. Something very aesthetic to that.
I really think that's too critical of a view. It's a beautiful modern logo. I personally love it.

Nick7

Each to their own understanding, and if you like it, you simply like it.

From my perspective, there's no historic association between a bull and Juventus, even though I see what you mean. The problem to me is that:

1) The first look you take it looks like a Ji / JJ. No I or double J is in "Juventus", which therefore makes it un-aligned with the club-name.

2) The white/blank line in between the JI / JJ is also something the eye wonders over and as a designer makes you go "Why?" as it optically competes with the JI / JJ, giving them all attention at the same time. It's like the eye tries to look and make sense of all 3 "letters" at the same time, and none of the 3 letters gives any reasonable answer or anecdote to history or the club.

Anyways, as you, I like the way they go with black and white. Something very aesthetic to that.
I quite like the use of negative space for the J, myself.

ROFLUTION

I really think that's too critical of a view. It's a beautiful modern logo. I personally love it.
Each to their own, and you can't argue with taste. But I thought I'd share my thoughts as I'm a graphic designer, and my views probably reflect a lot of professional opinions of other graphic designers/professionals.

Gator Nate

I'm rather partial to the Orlando City crest, love the lion's mane flaring out like the sun, though the font for "Orlando City" is pretty weak. It's a good minimalist design, as well. (can't post pics yet)

Love Wolverton's crest, too.