----------------------Messi-----------Ronaldo------------------

Seth.R

Ter Stegen
Cancelo - Koulibaly - Van Dijk - Robertson
Fernandinho
De Jong - David Silva
Messi - Ronaldo - Hazard​

Eddy_JukeZ

I'll pick a XI that's somewhat balanced and could do well if it played together.

Hazard-Mbappe-Messi
Wijnaldum-B.Silva(covers for Messi when Messi vacates the right)
De Jong
Robertson-Van Dijk-Pique-TAA
Ter Stegen

Seth.R

I'll pick a XI that's somewhat balanced and could do well if it played together.

Hazard-Mbappe-Messi
De Jong
Ter Stegen
Wijnaldum in a world XI :confused:

Eddy_JukeZ

Box to box player with no stand out quality, but a jack of all trades. Provides good balance and is a big game player.

I would have put Modric in there, but I think he's declined a decent amount. Would ideally like a metronome player in the midfield but with De Jong, Hazard and Messi, I think there's enough incisive passers in the team and ball circulation.

NoPace

If my life depended on it, and everyone was healthy, I'd probably go like this:

-Hazard---Cristiano------Messi
------------DeBruyne----------------
----------De Jong-Kante---------------
Mendy-Koulibaly-Van Dijk-Kimmich
-------------Oblak-------------------

-People won't pick Mendy but his delivery is at least as good as Robertson's and he's a better athlete.
-De Jong already for me but Kroos is a solid pick too and certainly more consistent and versatile
-Koulibaly over a still great Pique but I wouldn't quibble with going the other way.
-I went with Kimmich over TAA because he's more complete and proven and always good but if TAA is Beckham with pace at right back that might end up being more valuable than being a comprehensively great footballer like Kimmich
-My midfield is small but I couldn't really fit in a bigger, tougher player
-Didn't pick a 9 but could be talked into dropping Hazard and keeping Cristiano at LW with Mbappe as the 9 or even a false 9
-De Bruyne over Bernardo Silva

Overall, I went with end product, this team would be more likely to win games 3-2 than 1-0

NoPace

Hazard-Mbappe-Messi
De Jong
Ter Stegen
Wijnaldum is an insane pick despite his improvement, but that Silva choice and the reason behind it I like a lot. Messi is so good that the team is still basically built around him and so picking someone who runs all day and can cover CM and RW like Bernardo Silva or Eriksen or De Bruyne if you trust the Belgian to do a job (the last 2 being great crossers from the right so would be a perfect fit there offensively).

Cristiano still over Mbappe for me even as a 9. I'd back the former first to finish a chance, he's better in the air and against set defences and he might be the smartest player in the world in terms of adjusting to the game and his opponents to make a telling difference.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
He's just been an integral part of a team winning the CL, and it's based solely on this season.

Back on topic I was considering this the other day, about who will make the world XI come December.

Normally most of the team is made up of Barcelona and Madrid players, but with both falling short in Europe you'd expect it to be premier league dominated.

Alisson
? VVD De Ligt Robertson
Fernandinho De Jong
Sterling Messi Mane
Mbappe

mdvmia

Supports
Barcelona
Alisson

TAA
Pique
VVD
Alba

De Jong
Fernandinho
Bernardo

Messi
Mbappe
Ronaldo

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Oblak
Cancelo - Van Dijk - Koulibaly - Robertson
Kante
Pogba - B. Silva
Mbappe - Messi - Ronaldo
De Bruyne was injured all year... if you include him, then surely you'd include Modric... so based on this season, I go with this. 2nd CB I'm between De Ligt and Koulibaly, went with Koulibaly because experience and in a tougher league (though De Ligt excelled in CL and will be in there next year). Front 3, Robertson and Van Dijk were the easiest positions.

Canagel

ter Stegen
Cancelo VVD Laporte Robertson
Silva Verratti Pogba
Messi Mane
Mbappe​

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Did I miss something about Cancelo? Wtf

You'd think the best right back in the world would start for Portugal

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Dani Alves was the best RB in the World in 2010 and he was not starting consistently for Brazil back then.
We're not quite Brazil and Cancelo's not exactly being benched by peak Maicon... :lol:

Seriously though, what Juve games have people been watching to think he's the best rightback in the world? :eek:

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Sterling ——— Messi ——— Salah

Eriksen ———— B. Silva

Fernandinho

Robertson ——————————T.A.Arnold

Van Dijk —— De Ligt

Oblak​

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
We're not quite Brazil and Cancelo's not exactly being benched by peak Maicon... :lol:

Seriously though, what Juve games have people been watching to think he's the best rightback in the world? :eek:
But, isn't that on the manager? Based on this season's form should Semedo be Portugal's starting RB?

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Stegen

Kimmich
Virgil
Laporte
Robertson

Bernardo
Kante
Pogba

Messi
Mbappe
Ronaldo

Panther

Jan Oblak - Joshua Kimmich, Virgil Van Dijk, Aymeric Laporte, Jordi Alba - N'Golo Kante, Thiago, Bernardo Silva - Sadio Mane, Lionel Messi, Eden Hazard.

De Ligt and De Jong are only getting in people's teams because of how good they are for their age in my opinion. They are good players and have the potential to be superstars, but they've certainly got been the best players in Europe this season. De Ligt, for example, averages only 1 interception and 1 tackle per game in the Dutch League which is achieved by a lot of defenders in the Premier League, and it's not like his defensive ability was shown through-out the CL.

Trent and Robertson have both been fantastic players but I'd take Kimmich and Alba over them. As for people choosing Wijnaldum and Fabinho, you may as well choose Henderson too since he was also part of the Liverpool midfield (and the captain).

Mbappe and Sterling were difficult to leave out but I feel like the front three I have now have outperformed them this season.

UpWithRivers

Yeah this team might concede 2-3 but they would score 5-7!

oblak
VVD Pique Laporte
De Bruyne Kante Pogba
Messi Ronaldo Neymar
Mbappe

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I don't know if I like or dislike that it's really difficult to make one of these at the moment as the only absolute guaranteed picks in everyones side will be Van Dijk and Messi. Does this mean that we are void of really top tier players or are there so many top players now that it's difficult to pick? The CM spots for people seem to suggest that it's a position which is seriously lacking top quality...De Jong making teams (Yes, he's a fantastic young player and will most likely become one of the greats of this generation) and B. Silva dropping back there seems to suggest that.

NoPace

I don't know if I like or dislike that it's really difficult to make one of these at the moment as the only absolute guaranteed picks in everyones side will be Van Dijk and Messi. Does this mean that we are void of really top tier players or are there so many top players now that it's difficult to pick? The CM spots for people seem to suggest that it's a position which is seriously lacking top quality...De Jong making teams (Yes, he's a fantastic young player and will most likely become one of the greats of this generation) and B. Silva dropping back there seems to suggest that.
Yeah, Busquets and Modric haven't been replaced yet so the position is weak. Presumably someone like Rodri will be in teams by next year's thread. Pogba might be back too. Also Kante had to play a new position in a new system, probably still should be in most teams.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
De Ligt, for example, averages only 1 interception and 1 tackle per game in the Dutch League which is achieved by a lot of defenders in the Premier League, and it's not like his defensive ability was shown through-out the CL.
Tackle/interception stats for center backs are among the most meaningless stats in the game. De Ligt plays in an incredibly dominant team that spends most of the time in attack. Rio Ferdinand would average less tackles or interceptions per 90 minutes than Phil Jagielka, you wouldn't argue that the latter was superior, would you?

Mainoldo

Hazard in all these line ups because he just signed for Madrid?

——————-Becker

TAA - Van Dijk - Varane - Robertson

—- Ndombele - Rodri - Bernardo

Salah - Ronaldo - Messi

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Dani Alves was the best RB in the World in 2010 and he was not starting consistently for Brazil back then.
2010? Maicon was a level above Dani Alves. Maicon at his best was better than Dani Alves

Alisson-Kimmich-VVD-Koulibaly-Robertson-De Jong-Fernandinho-Messi-Hazard-Mbappé-Cristiano

Classical Mechanic

They haven't watched any games. He's linked with a transfer to City for £50m so folks have decided he's the best about.

LimePark

Supports
Chelsea
I like the lad, but amazed at how many people are including TAA. He can't even get in the England team at the moment.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
To me it’s not about quality but reflects the transition we are in as the next generation of players become established. Don’t see that the quality of performance has dipped, more that the reputations of the emerging stars are still forming and it takes some time for popular consensus to recognise the flawless recent performances of the likes of Silva, De Jong, Van Dijk, Koulibaly and even Hazard.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
To me it’s not about quality but reflects the transition we are in as the next generation of players become established. Don’t see that the quality of performance has dipped, more that the reputations of the emerging stars are still forming and it takes some time for popular consensus to recognise the flawless recent performances of the likes of Silva, De Jong, Van Dijk, Koulibaly and even Hazard.
Aye, I was kind of thinking about that while writing my post. We had the Barca and Madrid teams where you could pinpoint midfielders like Modric/Kroos/Busquets/Xavi/Iniesta as WC players in the CM but you wouldn't say that about any of the Liverpool squad who are this short periods top dogs in Europe atm. When both Barca and Madrid were dominating Europe they had quality midfielders, you wouldn't put any of the Liverpool midfield in the elite tiers tbh.

Definitely though with people like De Jong, B. Silva and Mbappe we are seeing a transition whereby they'll end up becoming the top dogs.

Fosu-Mens

Oblak
TAA/Kimmich - Koulibaly/Laporte/Marquinhos - VVD - Robertson
De Jong/Rodri
B. Silva - Arthur
Messi - Ronaldo - Hazard
The two bolded are the ones contending for B. d'or.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.

• Cristiano is yet to be properly surpassed — still think he's the most deadly scorer and mover in the final-third, and will thrive off of Messi's creativity. No Hazard because he's a bit too individualistic to operate with Messi/Cristiano.
  • Thiago/Bernardo as the incisive 10/8 hybrids — the latter was consistently outstanding, but the former was quite good in his own right too.
  • Wanted to include Fernandinho/Rodri at #6, but some of their functions are similar to De Jong in terms of drifting deeper to form a passing outlet for the central defensive duo (Frenkie frequently did that for Ajax as Blind moved central). He's less defensively secure and not a proper holder, but eh...too mesmerizing as a rhythm-setting metronome to pass up.
  • A year (or two) too early for De Ligt (who is close to establishing himself as a fixture in the World XI over the '20s decade). Laporte was the best centerback in the world after Van Dijk in 2018/19, IMO.
  • Toss-up between Alisson and ter Stegen in goal, ditto Robertson and Alba at left-back.
  • All things considered a very strong season for the Premier League — in the years gone by, you would expect at least half of the XI to be comprised players from the Spanish heavyweights.

Kag

Pogba could be playing for Juventus, Madrid, City or Barcelona and within six months he’d be a stone wall certainty in any of these teams. I mean, Ndombele and De Jong in a world eleven? feck me. I don’t watch too much football but based on the odd Champions League game I watch them I’ll plump for this:

Ter Stegen
Kimmich De Ligt Van Dijk Alaba
Kante
Pogba De Bruyne
Messi Mbappe Ronaldo

I don’t watch too much of Bayern or Madrid anymore, but I have a hard time believing that Robertson, as good as he is, is better than the likes of Alaba or Marcelo (who has always been awesome going forward).

Neymar, playing in a better side, is still a great player, too. Kroos is also worth a shout.

Brian McNair

At which point has David De Gea dropped so far down everyone's estimation?
He's been not only the best player at the club for years but , I believe, the best goalkeeper in the world for at least half a decade.
It's strange how willing every United fan is to see the back of him. Is it the contract situation?

Deery

Dreary
Oblak

Kimmich Van Dijk Koulibaly Alba

DeBruyne Pogba

Hazard Messi Ronaldo

Mbappe

Ooge_

Supports
Werder
------Ronaldo-------------Messi-------
----------------Hazard----------------
------Thiago--------------DeBruyne----
----------------Kante-----------------
Mendy---Van Dijk----de Ligt----Kimmich
-------------Ter Stegen---------------

sherrinford

Pogba could be playing for Juventus, Madrid, City or Barcelona and within six months he’d be a stone wall certainty in any of these teams. I mean, Ndombele and De Jong in a world eleven? feck me. I don’t watch too much football but based on the odd Champions League game I watch them I’ll plump for this:

Ter Stegen
Kimmich De Ligt Van Dijk Alaba
Kante
Pogba De Bruyne
Messi Mbappe Ronaldo

I don’t watch too much of Bayern or Madrid anymore, but I have a hard time believing that Robertson, as good as he is, is better than the likes of Alaba or Marcelo (who has always been awesome going forward).

Neymar, playing in a better side, is still a great player, too. Kroos is also worth a shout.
De Jong is quite special - Modric as a natural holding player. The individual battle between the two of them in the Champions League Second Leg was a joy to watch. The first leg of that tie is the only game I’ve seen this season of De Jong that I thought was less than stellar.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
At which point has David De Gea dropped so far down everyone's estimation?
He's been not only the best player at the club for years but , I believe, the best goalkeeper in the world for at least half a decade.
It's strange how willing every United fan is to see the back of him. Is it the contract situation?
The point is quite clear — since the beginning of the season he was consistently underperforming compared to his own ridiculous standards (a few games aside), while the likes of ter Stegen and Alisson both improved their already outstanding level of performances.