Best Goalkeeper in the league

Oranges038

So do we go for Pope in the summer?
He's a very good keeper. But he plays for a team that plays so deep it's hard to know how he would deal with a higher line. I dont think he's much better than Foster, and Ben Foster's main issue was he was better in those teams because he likes the comfort of the 6 yard box too much and he was good at most aspects, he just wasn't comfortable with the higher line and not good enough with his feet.

Look at how good Henderson was last year for Sheffield and people don't think he's good enough based off a handful of games. I think there was a bit of over eagerness in his performances and I've heard Peter Schmeichel say that this can lead to goal keeper being a bit rash and making a few mistakes because they try and do too much to impress.

I'd give Henderson a decent stab at it and let him settle into it and see how he is after a lengthy spell. He might be more relaxed once he knows he's not just auditioning for the role, that it is his if he wants it enough and can cope with it. I would do that before shelling out on anyone else.

redrobed

If we can get Pope for less than 60m (let’s face it, while the Glazers are here we wouldn’t go above that) then we should. Just get the position sorted. Look at the impact signing top class keepers for even bigger money had on Liverpool and City. They had Bravo and Karius before (both of whom I’d still rate DDG above tbf) - if we can convince someone like an Arsenal to pay 25-30m for DDG that’s net 30m to sort the position for years

JMack1234

How on earth did Arsenal not spot that Emi Martinez was a top quality 'keeper?

Murray3007

this season would be Martinez for me, think hes been superb, over the last 18 months or so would be Alison, few howlers the last couple games, will see how he bounces back personally hoping he turns in to kepa mk 2

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
The Alisson shouts just baffle me. He's done very little to prove he's as good as made out. It's like it's just taken as a given because everyone says it and he got loads of clean sheets that time so must be great.

Ask people for actual examples of what makes him great and they're stumped. Guy's living off Liverpool and their defence having played so well for a season, and being more solid than Karius and Adrian, which isn't exactly tough.

RashyForPM

Wow, you people wrote off Dave completely.
He was last the best in the league and world in 2018. Then, he mystifyingly plummeted into a below average PL keeper after one of his best performances ever away to Spurs with his 11 saves.

Truly a case of becoming much worse overnight. Weird.

Anyway, I’d say Martinez and Ederson are the best GKs in the league right now.

Galeano

Supports
Chelsea
Fortunately, the Premier League is full of excellent goalkeepers.

It´s different to be a goalkeeper in a team that spends the entire game closed in defense than in a top team that tries to attack most of the time.
It´s also different to be a goalkeeper in Klopp's Liverpool than in Pep Guardiola's City.

I prefer to highlight Meslier.
A young man that nobody knew about, taking the goal in the Premier League of a team that is defensively kamikaze, with the quality and personality that he has shown has been really impressive.

troylocker

Thought this might be of interest, stats for the year to date among first choice goalkeepers

Shot Stopping (PSxG+/-)
Nick Pope
6.4​
Alphonse Areola
5.3​
Emiliano Martínez
Robert Sánchez
4.1​
Bernd Leno
3.6​
Hugo Lloris
3.5​
Alisson
3.3​
Kasper Schmeichel
3.1​
Illan Meslier
2.1​
Sam Johnstone
1.4​
Ederson
0.6​
Łukasz Fabiański
0.2​
Vicente Guaita
0​
Edouard Mendy
-0.7​
David de Gea
-1.3​
Karl Darlow
-1.6​
Aaron Ramsdale
-2​
Jordan Pickford
-2.9​
Alex McCarthy
-4.3​
Rui Patrício
-5.6​
Sweeping (% interventions)
Alisson
1.39​
Nick Pope
1.24​
Ederson
0.9​
Alex McCarthy
0.81​
Edouard Mendy
0.78​
Bernd Leno
0.69​
Robert Sánchez
0.67​
Illan Meslier
0.65​
Aaron Ramsdale
0.64​
Alphonse Areola
0.62​
Sam Johnstone
0.62​
Jordan Pickford
0.53​
Emiliano Martínez
Kasper Schmeichel
0.45​
Vicente Guaita
0.45​
Hugo Lloris
0.43​
Łukasz Fabiański
0.36​
David de Gea
0.34​
Karl Darlow
0.09​
Rui Patrício
0.05​
% of crosses taken​
Nick Pope
13.1​
Alphonse Areola
12​
Aaron Ramsdale
10.3​
Karl Darlow
9.3​
Alisson
8.7​
Emiliano Martínez
Alex McCarthy
8.2​
Jordan Pickford
8.2​
Rui Patrício
8​
Kasper Schmeichel
7.6​
Sam Johnstone
7.2​
Łukasz Fabiański
6.5​
Edouard Mendy
6.1​
Robert Sánchez
6.1​
Illan Meslier
5.4​
Vicente Guaita
5.1​
Ederson
5​
Bernd Leno
4.9​
David de Gea
4.5​
Hugo Lloris
3.6​
Hard to argue that De Gea (saves 60% of shots on target. Only Ryan with 53% is worse) hasn't been one of the weakest GKs in the league this season.
Pope by far the best (saves 78% of shots on target. Best in the league, Lloris and Sanchez 2nd with 76%) .

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Wow, you people wrote off Dave completely.
This season he’s statistically in the bottom 5 keepers in the league.
it’s not hard to see that he’s regressing in his reflexes whilst he’s made little or no progress in coming and catching crosses, distribution, or even just organising his defence.
He’s not worth the high salary it takes to pay him. Not saying hes awful but there’s better than him around, even in the league

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
This season he’s statistically in the bottom 5 keepers in the league.
it’s not hard to see that he’s regressing in his reflexes whilst he’s made little or no progress in coming and catching crosses, distribution, or even just organising his defence.
He’s not worth the high salary it takes to pay him. Not saying hes awful but there’s better than him around, even in the league
I know that i am in minoroty here but i will say it. He had average last two seasons. Yes, that is a truth.
But this seasons he was very good. But people can't now forget those two seasons. And he can have 10 great games in a row but first bad reaction from him and bashing starts.
It is not all about stats. He is still gk who will save what no keeper will. I said many times; i will rather have keeper who will save many clear chances and make mistake then and there instead tidy gk who saves only what he must.
I don't argue that he has some flaws but he always had problem with rushing out. I am fine with that.

And most important thing; he is 30y old. Now he enters in his peak. So, still best gk for me.

red_de_pologne

I know that i am in minoroty here but i will say it. He had average last two seasons. Yes, that is a truth.
But this seasons he was very good. But people can't now forget those two seasons. And he can have 10 great games in a row but first bad reaction from him and bashing starts.
It is not all about stats. He is still gk who will save what no keeper will. I said many times; i will rather have keeper who will save many clear chances and make mistake then and there instead tidy gk who saves only what he must.
I don't argue that he has some flaws but he always had problem with rushing out. I am fine with that.

And most important thing; he is 30y old. Now he enters in his peak. So, still best gk for me.
Well said, he's been very good most of this season. It's not his fault our opponents have free pass to shoot from close range because they don't clear crosses.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Statistically he’s worse this season than previous seasons so something doesn’t add up

caid

Statistically he’s worse this season than previous seasons so something doesn’t add up
I think theres probably been more errors with him basically throwing the ball in his own net but i'd say the average level has seemed better most of the season. Theres been some comedy defending a few times over the season with everyone collectively forgetting how to play football. That would hurt his stats too.
The blunders are too frequent for me so not a defence but maybe your both right kind of.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
He was last the best in the league and world in 2018. Then, he mystifyingly plummeted into a below average PL keeper after one of his best performances ever away to Spurs with his 11 saves.

Truly a case of becoming much worse overnight. Weird.

Anyway, I’d say Martinez and Ederson are the best GKs in the league right now.
It's not really weird though. He heavily relied on his acrobatic/ athletic quality's, he was always likely to fall of a cliff once those started evading him.

RashyForPM

It's not really weird though. He heavily relied on his acrobatic/ athletic quality's, he was always likely to fall of a cliff once those started evading him.
I meant that after such a good performance at Wembley, he never produced that sort of game again. Now, he can struggle to make simple saves. Acrobatic quality and reflexes is one thing, but now he regularly makes mistakes like the DCL goal last season, Doucoure recently, Sarr, Mount in the cup semi...I could go on. Mistakes that semi-pro keepers would struggle to make, and it essentially happens every month (being kind here) with DDG.

Flyer1

Supports
City
Martinez for me, ederson, and loris behind.
Pope is no better than Henderson, that would be a waste of money.
Oblak is clear top boy in Europe, a one man wall and makes saves he shouldn't.

nuanced

loves geopolitical narrative
The Alisson shouts just baffle me. He's done very little to prove he's as good as made out. It's like it's just taken as a given because everyone says it and he got loads of clean sheets that time so must be great.

Ask people for actual examples of what makes him great and they're stumped. Guy's living off Liverpool and their defence having played so well for a season, and being more solid than Karius and Adrian, which isn't exactly tough.
He has great positioning and is a good shot stopper. He has quick reflexes and stays on his feet till the very last moment when defending a penalty. He is a good sweeper and critical to allow Pool's defense to play a high line. In spite of the mistakes against City, he is reliable on the ball and rarely misplaces his passes. He is dominant in his area, and I've rarely seen oppos bully him to the ground during set pieces.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He has great positioning and is a good shot stopper. He has quick reflexes and stays on his feet till the very last moment when defending a penalty. He is a good sweeper and critical to allow Pool's defense to play a high line. In spite of the mistakes against City, he is reliable on the ball and rarely misplaces his passes. He is dominant in his area, and I've rarely seen oppos bully him to the ground during set pieces.
The positioning thing seems to have come about from excusing him not having to make many great saves, which isn’t down to him, that’s impossible. He’s alright at the other stuff yeah, but not seen anything special. He’s had very little pressure til now.

nuanced

loves geopolitical narrative
The positioning thing seems to have come about from excusing him not having to make many great saves, which isn’t down to him, that’s impossible. He’s alright at the other stuff yeah, but not seen anything special. He’s had very little pressure til now.
Pool have had a makeshift defense for about half the season now. The chopping and changing in the defense doesn't help them settle. Their defense hasn't had this sort of pressure since before Van Dyke joined. Yet he has done fine so far this season. Consistently made crucial saves to help them avoid dropping points. His two close range saves, won them a point against United at home.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Would people not happily swap de Gea for Allison (rivalry aside) ? As far as I'm aware he's had one terrible game and that was against City. It happens to pretty much every keeper.

Mike Smalling

Would people not happily swap de Gea for Allison (rivalry aside) ? As far as I'm aware he's had one terrible game and that was against City. It happens to pretty much every keeper.
Based on their form over the last few seasons? Every day of the week.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Pool have had a makeshift defense for about half the season now. The chopping and changing in the defense doesn't help them settle. Their defense hasn't had this sort of pressure since before Van Dyke joined. Yet he has done fine so far this season. Consistently made crucial saves to help them avoid dropping points. His two close range saves, won them a point against United at home.
They were down his throat though. Most of his supposedly good saves seem to be, and that’s not just down to good positioning. Pogba could have directed his shot so he had to make a better save.

galwayfa

A keepers job has changed so much, a great keeper but bad with his feet will not now be looked at, for me that's criminal, your job as a keeper, save the ball and go from there

Bearded One

Exactly even though he had another changer today. I think it’s too early to crown Emi Martinez as good as he has been. Allison, Martinez and Kasper are my favorite keepers in the league.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Exactly even though he had another changer today. I think it’s too early to crown Emi Martinez as good as he has been. Allison, Martinez and Kasper are my favorite keepers in the league.
I like Schmeichel, but he too has a mistake in him. He obviously has that commanding presence (like his father) and brave as you like. I don't think by and large the league has a lot of top GKs, but it was even worse before when there were 2 or 3 good ones. Though if we're to make a good improvement there in the near future I think we'd need to look outside the country.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
Wouldn't have Pickford anywhere near it anyway. Ederson probably top but he gets tested a lot less than most other keepers.
Happy to say that Pickford made his nation proud today with his performance.

If only his countrymen hadn't let him down.

Was great throughout the tournament for England. Shows what a good goalie can do with a strong defense in front of him.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Happy to say that Pickford made his nation proud today with his performance.

If only his countrymen hadn't let him down.

Was great throughout the tournament for England. Shows what a good goalie can do with a strong defense in front of him.
He always performs for England, it's why he never gets dropped even when he's throwing them in at club level.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I think Iker Casillas is the best goalkeeper at all !!
In the English Premier League right now? That's a pretty daring call!

Or do you mean simply best goalkeeper of all time? Not sure if that's not even more daring...

NewYorkRed

David de Gea. Easy. Ederson can’t make half the saves he does and Allison has had a nightmare 12 months in terms of mistakes. Mendy is a close second though.

Steve Bruce

Wouldn't swap DDG for anyone in the premier league. I would hate to see where we would be without him this season and this season hasn't been great so far.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Anyone not saying Aaron Ramsdale in this thread is quite clearly wumming in the football forums and should have a warning from the mods.

RUCK4444

Yeah it’s David again currently. Makes saves the others can’t and Allison has been out of sorts for a while.

Son

Is he suddenly back to his brilliant best or are we conceding more clear opportunities so he has to make the saves this season?

I can’t imagine his shot stopping ever fell by much.

Still think on his day he’s perhaps the best shot stopper we have ever seen in the game period from close distances.

Not just saying that as a United fan I haven’t ever seen a keeper pull out saves like he can so often. Shame the rest of his game isn’t that elite though.

Could have said similar about Casillas as he wasn’t really dominant either but played in bigger games obviously for better teams.