Best Man Marking Efforts one writers opinion

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/so...lish-premier-league-man-marking/?sct=sc_wr_a2

A few involving United players the article starts out talking about Phil Jones' recent performances. Created the thread here since the article also talks of other non-United related performances.

Franz Beckenbauer on Bobby Charlton, England 4-2 West Germany, World Cup final, July, 30 1966

It has been talked about as the game's two best players canceling one another out, but the West Germans suffered more for Beckenbauer's man-marking than did England -- even if the papers did complain that it was "not one of Charlton's better days." Charlton's performance against Portugal in the semifinal inspired Beckenbauer's detail, but it was a decision that Helmut Schön would regret. "For the young half-back had little opportunity to exploit his attacking genius until it was too late," Hugh McIlvanney wrote in the Observer. Charlton marked Beckenbauer out of the quarterfinal in Mexico four years later but was subbed off, and West Germany recovered from 2-0 down to put England out
Nobby Stiles on Amancio, Real Madrid 3-3 Manchester United, European Cup semifinal, May 15, 1968

Stiles is often remembered -- against his own preference -- for man-marking Eusebio for club and country, but his duel with Amancio in the 1968 semifinal was possibly more compelling. Stiles watched Amancio "like a cat," said the Guardian, "and pounced as often as he could." Missiles rained from the stands until, after half an hour, Amancio escaped Stiles' attentions and helped Real to a 3-1 lead. It looked unassailable. But a minute into the second half, Stiles crumpled Amancio with a filthy challenge and didn't hear a squeak from him thereafter. United leveled to win on aggregate, and a disgruntled Real fan clocked Stiles over the head with a beer bottle as he got onto the team bus.
Park Ji-Sung on Andrea Pirlo, Manchester United 7-2 AC Milan (agg), Champions League second round, Feb. 16 and March 10, 2010

"He never gave Pirlo a kick," said Sir Alex Ferguson after two legs in which Park demonstrated exactly why the Manchester United manager always called him up for big European games. Gary Neville, grateful for a quiet evening with Ronaldinho, said: "You have to look at the work Ji-sung Park did, stopping the forwards getting the service." In fact Pirlo made only 21 passes at Old Trafford in the return leg, which United won 4-0, having been completely suffocated by Park. "He kept running off him, which was brilliant, too," Ferguson added. Park scored United's third with an hour played, finishing a move that he had started.

See the others at the link

Brightonian

That Park performance really was wonderful, and not at all unique in his career. What was special about him, at his best, was that he could completely man-mark someone out of a game and still make a vibrant attacking contribution.

He was similar in the 2011 ties against Chelsea: he stopped almost everything they tried before it got out of midfield, and still managed to be our second most important creative player, after Rooney.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I actually think Jones only man-marked Ronaldo in the second half and that was one of the biggest reasons for how quiet he was. How often did you see Jones helping out Rafael in the first half? Very rarely. Against Fellaini he was stuck to him pretty much the whole time.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
I thought it was an interesting article until I noticed it was written by a woman.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Am I mistaken or did Ronny Johnsen not have a couple of great man marking performances for us. I think 1 might have been against Juve (Zidane)...

Apologies if I'm spewing shit

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Am I mistaken or did Ronny Johnsen not have a couple of great man marking performances for us. I think 1 might have been against Juve (Zidane)...

Can't remember the actual games but I do remember Johnsen given those sorts of responsibilities.

Remi Moses was also brilliant at man marking.

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott

He played in midfield for us several times in Europe, I recall being very impressed with him in there in his early years.

He played against Juve away, but partnered Stam in defence.

He didn't play enough for us (to injury), particularly after the treble. A real shame, he was a terrific find.

kps88

I completely forgot Neville was up against Ronaldinho in the game at OT.

Forevergiggs

Did Jones man mark Bale or Ronaldo? :confused:

From my understanding, he played as a very defensive right sided midfielder in both those games. Didn't think it was man marking in either of those games as it was against Fellani in the Everton game.

But what do I know.. :nervous:

ben_foster

On Loan to Watford
phil neville did the job a few times.

if my memory serves me right, djemba djemba actually did a great job on marking deco out of the game away and them home (the infamous mourinho running down the touchline tie). but im certain he broke a rib and phil neville replaced him at half time and gave away a needless free-kick which they scored from.

steven baker...........a young lad at middlesborough a few years ago did it on steve mcmanaman.

owen hargreaves has also done it well numerous times.

the key to man marking.......not fouling

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Phil Neville's best game for United came in a "man-marking" role of sorts against Arsenal back in 2002. If I recall correctly, it may have been his first start for the senior team in a midfield role but he was majestic throughout, harrassing and tackling at every opportunity.

Skorenzy

phil neville did the job a few times.

if my memory serves me right, djemba djemba actually did a great job on marking deco out of the game away and them home (the infamous mourinho running down the touchline tie). but im certain he broke a rib and phil neville replaced him at half time and gave away a needless free-kick which they scored from.

steven baker...........a young lad at middlesborough a few years ago did it on steve mcmanaman.

owen hargreaves has also done it well numerous times.

the key to man marking.......not fouling

Tell that to Claudio Gentile

VII

Stam and Berg vs Ronaldo and Zamorano

Remember this Lol

Amir

Some Derby County player - Paul something? - on Cantona when they beat us 3-2 at Old Trafford in 1997.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Decent selection in the article. I'll throw Des Walker on Van Basten in 1990 into the mix.