Best to write yesterday’s game off as irrelevant

Robbie Boy

Losing is one thing, but the manner in which we lost with such an inept performance that has once again shown we lack cohesion, is hard to stomach. Let's be honest here, we were fairly shite in a fair few games post lockdown and had a good bit of luck. I won't be calling for Ole's head yet but I really don't think he's anywhere near good enough to turn us into a cohesive, attacking unit.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
That link is from over a year ago. Do you know how many games Crystal Palace have won away from home against the conventional top 6 since their 2-1 win against us last year? Zero. Thats right, zero. Their overall record away from home against the top 6 wasn't even that impressive last season. WLDLDL, 5 points, 6 goals scored, 15 conceded. Their sole win was against us. Even if you add Leicester (5th) and Wolves (7th) it still looks bad: WLDLDLLL, 5 points, 6 scored, 20 conceded.

And if we look at their entire record against the top 8 from last season, both home and away, it doesn't paint a pretty picture: WLDLDLLLDDLLLLLD, 8 points, 12 goals scored, 34 condeded. Before yesterday their last win against a top 8 side, home or away, was against us. At Old Trafford. 13 months ago.

Sorry but there are no excuses for yesterday's loss and Palace's form against the top 8 in the last year shows that you simply can't "write it off". Pre-season or not, our players should be more than good enough to beat Crystal Palace at Old Trafford and if Solskjær can't find a way to do it then I feel there is little hope for him to succeed.
These are the kind of Newbies who should get immediate promotion.

Brophs

The One and Only
The number of times we have had to go down the “It was just one of those days” route would suggest that it very rarely has been.

red4ever 79

Write the game off as irrelevant? We are Manchester Fecking United and we have an opening game of the season at home. We have seen over the years how important it is to start well. A defeat is not acceptable. Massive pressure now next Saturday away to Brighton and then Spurs at home. We might find ourselves 10 points off the top after 3 games. Disgrace

siw2007

Will have to see how it goes in the next few games. If we can pick up the pace and accumulate wins over the next few games then yes we can look back at yesterdays match and forgive the team for the gulf in fitness. But we can't that excuse if we still look so laborious next week, it has to improve. More signings are needed regardless to create more competition and quality in the team.

Withnail

This will upset a lot of people on here but yesterday’s game is not any sort of indicator as to how our season will go.

Tiredness early in the season comes from a lack of ‘match fitness’ and not over playing. Palace will now be at match fitness, their three games in eight days will not have tired them out, rather it will have got them where they need to be fitness wise.

We are behind on fitness and paid for it yesterday.

Its not an ‘excuse’. Covid-19 has messed up the football schedule and that has consequences.

The players were crap yesterday to a man but I don’t see any reason to start getting worried.
Agreed.

It's all a bit premature. Let's see where we are after 10 games. If we're in the shit then it'll actually be time for a melt-down.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
We didn’t concede more than 2 goals in a single league game last season. Things will obviously improve. I think the atmosphere of the club has gone a little toxic purely based on the lack of investment. We will probably get one or two more in but like many Summer’s before we’re playing catch-up from the off.

Classical Mechanic

That link is from over a year ago. Do you know how many games Crystal Palace have won away from home against the conventional top 6 since their 2-1 win against us last year? Zero. Thats right, zero. Their overall record away from home against the top 6 wasn't even that impressive last season. WLDLDL, 5 points, 6 goals scored, 15 conceded. Their sole win was against us. Even if you add Leicester (5th) and Wolves (7th) it still looks bad: WLDLDLLL, 5 points, 6 scored, 20 conceded.

And if we look at their entire record against the top 8 from last season, both home and away, it doesn't paint a pretty picture: WLDLDLLLDDLLLLLD, 8 points, 12 goals scored, 34 condeded. Before yesterday their last win against a top 8 side, home or away, was against us. At Old Trafford. 13 months ago.

Sorry but there are no excuses for yesterday's loss and Palace's form against the top 8 in the last year shows that you simply can't "write it off". Pre-season or not, our players should be more than good enough to beat Crystal Palace at Old Trafford and if Solskjær can't find a way to do it then I feel there is little hope for him to succeed.
The reason why Palace do well away against the top 6 is because of the system they play and the players they have in attack. They concede possession, shut out the opposition and hit on the break with their pacey and skilful forwards. Last season stands currently as an aberration with regards to their performance against the top 6. They still play the exactly the same system and are using the same players. It is not an easy game against them which was the point I was contesting.

Regardless, this post does nothing to address the point in the OP.

Its a sad indictment of the CAF that people are so impressed by a post that is writing off the team and manager based off one game which was came after a uniquely disrupted pre-season. It’s a ridiculous take frankly.

As another poster suggested, the ridiculous reaction to yesterday’s game on here is little more than the pent up frustration of deprived transfer muppets.

Look how terrible Spurs were last week and look at their result today. Hyperbolic nonsense based off one game helps no one.

Zlatattack

I disagree. The match fitness is playing a part, but the lack of quality in our squad shone through.

Lindelof has looked iffy many times last season. We've got a collection of centre backs who aren't good enough.

Idk why AWB didn't start but TFM couldn't get games at Palace or Fulham and yet here we are using him at RB.

James is just not a very good player without space to exploit, he's not particularly creative and at best is one for the future and we're relying on him.

Rashford is out of form but what is our alternative? We don't have a potent alternative.

I don't think Fred or McT are defensive midfielders. They do a job but in the absence of Matic we're looking lost in a key area.

There are square pegs in round holes all over our squad. Why aren't we doing something about it?

Injury and the sheer number of matches our best players will play is going to chip away at out team next season. We're ill equipped to deal with it as we have a lot of players but not the ones we need.

Amerifan

After the first game of the season we must generalize, exaggerate, and massively overreact. Looking at the majority of the comments on the front page threads, we’re collectively doing a fine job.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
The excuses some of the deluded part of our fanbase come up with are just laughable.

red4ever 79

First time we have lost an opening day game in 5 years. Yesterday was a continuation from the end of last season. Not good enough

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I don’t really think most people are over exaggerating. Many predicted without investment we’d have a poor season, and the opener hasn’t done anything to put their worries to rest. Maybe it will all be fine, and if it is then brilliant. It’s most likely going to be a hard season though, the teams around us have strengthened and we’re coming off of no real pre season with players that were supposedly tired anyway.

Krieger

The reason why Palace do well away against the top 6 is because of the system they play and the players they have in attack. They concede possession, shut out the opposition and hit on the break with their pacey and skilful forwards. Last season stands currently as an aberration with regards to their performance against the top 6. They still play the exactly the same system and are using the same players. It is not an easy game against them which was the point I was contesting.

Its a sad indictment of the CAF that people are so impressed by a post that is writing off the team and manager based off one game which was came after a uniquely disrupted pre-season. It’s a ridiculous take frankly.

As another poster suggested, the ridiculous reaction to yesterday’s game on here is little more than the pent up frustration of deprived transfer muppets.

Look how terrible Spurs were last week and look at their result today. Hyperbolic nonsense based off one game helps no one.
That's how pretty much every club outside the conventional top 6 plays against the top 6 away from home. There's nothing special about Crystal Palace here. Even in 18-19 their away record against the top 6 was very similar to last season. They gained 7 points, only 2 points more than last season. And in 17-18, Hodgson's first season, they lost every single away match against the top 6 (although one of the matches was managed by de Boer).

So it actually looks to me that last season wasn't an "aberration" but rather the standard, if anything.

This wasn't the first poor performance under Solskjær since he took over. We've played as bad as we did yesterday many times in the past 18 months. That's the worry here, that despite months and months of coaching, these types of performances still crop up on a regular basis.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

Mate, you’d have a point if we lost with a fair performance due to poor refereeing or something, but this was due to something that takes weeks of work to remedy. Poor match conditioning is likely going to cost us more early points. We’ll still be in the bottom half by the time the internationals roll around.

Ludens the Red

Just so it’s clear. Our problem is a lack of match fitness because we didn’t have a pre season and play enough games YET it was us who decided to start pre season late over some pedantic ‘30 day rule’ so that our players wouldn’t get tired from playing and training too much during pre season.

Okay.

Shark

@NotShark
I don’t really think most people are over exaggerating. Many predicted without investment we’d have a poor season, and the opener hasn’t done anything to put their worries to rest. Maybe it will all be fine, and if it is then brilliant. It’s most likely going to be a hard season though, the teams around us have strengthened and we’re coming off of no real pre season with players that were supposedly tired anyway.
It reminds me of when we went into that 3rd season with Jose, board didn't address anything in the market and most of us went into that season feeling it'll be a disaster.

James Peril

Pathetic excuses. This was the first game, at home to a team that will fight relegation, we should be charging from the first second. Put your money where your mouth is then, Wolves should smash City right? And if they don’t, what is our excuse then?

Classical Mechanic

That's how pretty much every club outside the conventional top 6 plays against the top 6 away from home. There's nothing special about Crystal Palace here. Even in 18-19 their away record against the top 6 was very similar to last season. They gained 7 points, only 2 points more than last season. And in 17-18, Hodgson's first season, they lost every single away match against the top 6 (although one of the matches was managed by de Boer).

So it actually looks to me that last season wasn't an "aberration" but rather the standard, if anything.

This wasn't the first poor performance under Solskjær since he took over. We've played as bad as we did yesterday many times in the past 18 months. That's the worry here, that despite months and months of coaching, these types of performances still crop up on a regular basis.
If Hodgson has the best record against the top 6 away from home in the PL up to when that article was written, how can a poor record be the standard? It defies common sense. The points seem low because most sides come away with few points from those fixtures given they’re the hardest in the league by definition.

R'hllor

When you read stuff in last couple of years, less under LvG but spec. durring JM and now under Ole, it makes you wonder who do people even support. I almost 100% sure that people who spout drivel and shit now, they wouldnt be doing the same if manager was LvG or even JM.

Nobody is for overreacting or panicking after one loss.

Classical Mechanic

Mate, you’d have a point if we lost with a fair performance due to poor refereeing or something, but this was due to something that takes weeks of work to remedy. Poor match conditioning is likely going to cost us more early points. We’ll still be in the bottom half by the time the internationals roll around.
It shouldn’t take that long, we’ve got Luton in the week. The issue is if you're even one game behind it can make a big difference. If you follow pre-season you see it every year, teams get played off the park by sides that might only be a little ahead in game time.

That said, with the Covid-19 situation disrupting preparation some sides are going to get the shitty end of the stick.

Tarrou

I wouldn't say its irrelevant but I get what you mean

We just didn't look prepared and as much as there are some extenuating circumstances, the coaches bear most of the responsibility for that, for me

The most tilting thing about yesterday was at the end of last season we knew squad depth was our biggest weakness, we had all summer to fix it and here we are starting James on the right wing again.

James is actually okay back-up on the left but he is terrible on the right, it just doesn't suit him

Paul_Scholes18

Bloody hell it is relevant. Do people not want to fight for the title?
The standards are so bloody low that avoiding relegation might be seen as progress and sucess in some peoples mind.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
It shouldn’t take that long, we’ve got Luton in the week. The issue is if you're even one game behind it can make a big difference. If you follow pre-season you see it every year, teams get played off the park by sides that might only be a little ahead in game time.

That said, with the Covid-19 situation disrupting preparation some sides are going to get the shitty end of the stick.
Can’t blame this one on COVID. We indulged too much and have underprepared. We probably should have seen yesterday coming, and in hindsight I’m appalled that we ended up with the pre-season we did and the fact the coaching staff at our club presumably signed off on it. I thought it was risky, but only realised how so 10 minutes in.

As I said previously, if you felt some players needed a proper physical and mental rest, then give that group additional time off, but the rest of the squad should have had as much pre-season as possible after only maybe a week off for a domestic holiday. It should have been on them to start the season. This is no different to how some managers manage players returning after a deep WC run.

Absolutely farcical the summer we have had with quarantines and controversy. This last month has been an absolute shambles. The manager is not getting enough scrutiny in my opinion, and I’m disgusted at the lack of commitment many of our players have shown towards the start of this season. Bayern won the Treble and were absolutely primed to start the season a month later with an 8-0 win with all their key men ready to go.

I fully expect Luton to beat a rotated team. Four wins from four from them so far. Mata, Lingard, Pereira, James, Dalot etc aren’t even Championship quality when not match fit.

Classical Mechanic

Can’t blame this one on COVID. We indulged too much and have underprepared. We probably should have seen yesterday coming, and in hindsight I’m appalled that we ended up with the pre-season we did and the fact the coaching staff at our club presumably signed off on it. I thought it was risky, but only realised how so 10 minutes in.

As I said previously, if you felt some players needed a proper physical and mental rest, then give that group additional time off, but the rest of the squad should have had as much pre-season as possible after only maybe a week off for a domestic holiday. It should have been on them to start the season. This is no different to how some managers manage players returning after a deep WC run.

Absolutely farcical the summer we have had with quarantines and controversy. This last month has been an absolute shambles. The manager is not getting enough scrutiny in my opinion, and I’m disgusted at the lack of commitment many of our players have shown towards the start of this season.

I fully expect Luton to beat a rotated team. Four wins from four from them so far. Mata, Lingard, Pereira, James, Dalot etc aren’t even Championship quality when not match fit.
It’s impossible to call right now because I’d very much expect the staff behind the scenes are looking at how to keep the players conditioned for a uniquely intense season. You would have thought that’s the reason for the long rest, no?

I feel you are being far too negative.

Ludens the Red

Absolutely farcical the summer we have had with quarantines and controversy. This last month has been an absolute shambles. The manager is not getting enough scrutiny in my opinion, and I’m disgusted at the lack of commitment many of our players have shown towards the start of this season. Bayern won the Treble and were absolutely primed to start the season a month later with an 8-0 win with all their key men ready to go.

Nail on the head. Absolutely farcical. We’re not Man City, we don’t have players who are in top condition and who are professional enough to maintain a basic level of fitness.
We’re the complete opposite and I wouldn’t have trusted our players to keep themselves in good condition with such a short pre season.

arthurka

We can write the game off, but the problems won't disappear. Work has to be done here, and i don't see it.
Agree we can't write all the seasons and feck ups off for the last 7 years can we? Sadly this was completely predictable does 3rd season under Mourinho ring any bells?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

Fitness was an issue for our players, clearly, but losing 3-1 at home to Palace is not acceptable by any standards. It wouldn't have been so bad had they fluked the win, but that wasn't the case at all. Hodgson's plan from the outset was to flood the midfield, press at every opportunity and hit us on the counter, and it thoroughly trumped any counter-offensive we may have had.

We didn't just lose the game, we got beaten by a tactically superior side. And that's a huge worry.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
It’s impossible to call right now because I’d very much expect the staff behind the scenes are looking at how to keep the players conditioned for a uniquely intense season. You would have thought that’s the reason for the long rest, no?

I feel you are being far too negative.
I'm just stunned that the club negotiated a generous arrangement where they could start the season a week later, and then didn't bother to actually utilise that period to properly prepare. The arrogance to just rock up at Old Trafford yesterday in that condition is staggering, Again, contrast with Bayern. They win the treble and their staff and players prepare for them to be ready to win 8-0 with no delays less than a month later.

I usually agree with much of what you say, and agree with the general principle of not knee-jerking, but this is genuinely one of the lowest moments supporting United for me. We were embarrassing yesterday and have been all summer. I was ashamed to be supporting that.

DoomSlayer

It reminds me of when we went into that 3rd season with Jose, board didn't address anything in the market and most of us went into that season feeling it'll be a disaster.
Unfortunately, I feel the same way. That summer we again had a shambolic pre-season, though the whole feeling was incredibly toxic, Mourinho had been making these comments about Pogba, moaning publicly about everything and everyone at the club.

Ole is right in not talking about it in front of the press, it makes us look even weaker than we are and it puts even more pressure on the players, creating that exact same toxicity we had under Mourinho. But unless the club hierarchy start fixing the core issues, we are not going out of this continuous cycle.

People are worried because we looked a month away from being ready, even if only fitness-wise. What happens when we go against a better team than Crystal Palace? Again it seems we have failed miserably in our planning for a new season, both in terms of team preparations and in terms of ins and outs. It always ends up costing us big time, who knows when we will recover if we gather a couple more negative results.

Classical Mechanic

I'm just stunned that the club negotiated a generous arrangement where they could start the season a week later, and then didn't bother to actually utilise that period to properly prepare. The arrogance to just rock up at Old Trafford yesterday in that condition is staggering, Again, contrast with Bayern. They win the treble and their staff and players prepare for them to be ready to win 8-0 with no delays less than a month later.

I usually agree with much of what you say, and agree with the general principle of not knee-jerking, but this is genuinely one of the lowest moments supporting United for me. We were embarrassing yesterday and have been all summer. I was ashamed to be supporting that.
Bayern’s a different case again because their season finished earlier. They had a long rest period before the resumption of the CL. This is the disruption of Covid and how it is affecting teams differently.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Best to write off this whole season as irrelevant as well.

b20times

Half fit and with half a team should beat Palace at home. Excuses are zero.

el3mel

It's relevant. It's one of those games that would come bite us back in the arse at the end of the season. Match against Palace on your home, should be a straightforward 3 points any time any day.