Best United moment & why...what made it so special

automaticflare

Macheda
Villa

I was behind the goal.

I have never been in a crowd that went so mental in my life I was 7 rows in front of where I started after he scored

Honorable mention to 99 and ole when I was jumping on the couch and my dad tried to punch me and I fell into and broke the coffee table

Being there for macheda trumps it

Revaulx

Never bothered me. Just regarded it as all part of supporting. The one exception was the final div 2 game vs Blackpool. fecking mayhem. Fans watching from up the floodlight pylons. Crowd constantly tumbling down and then having to get back up to positions. Driving me nuts. In the end I moved down onto the “big step” that lined up along the gangway to the tunnel entrance, stood in front of the barrier. Then, decided to feign injury to get on the running track bench with St John ambulance men. Shot off that bench at the final whistle like Kip Keino with my mate, straight over to Pancho and gave him a big hug. Pitch invaders.
Pretty certain that was the one I lost my glasses! Not helpful, as it was just before A-levels.

Either that summer or the one after, the extra handrails/barriers were put in, and the horrendous surges became a thing of the past. It was virtually safe standing after that!

OldRed1

European Cup Final 1968. Left home about midnight the previous night and drove from Blackpool, where I was living at the time, to London. I parked the car early that morning near to Wembley and spent the day in London before heading back for the game. Was at the end where Charlton scored a very rare headed goal and enjoyed 120 minutes of excitement before the end and the first English team to be presented with the European Cup. It was a car park on the motorway back to Lancashire and I desperately needed a wee so I did what any man would do under the circumstances, got out of my car and went behind a coach full of supporters and relieved myself to hoots and whistles from my fellow travelers. After stopping for an hour to get a little shuteye arrived home early next morning, a happy man. Sorry i know it was supposed to be my favourite moment but it ended up a little longer that that.

Robertd0803

Moscow 2008. That moment when Van der Sar saves Anelkas penalty. Couldnt describe the sheer elation and pure joy in that few seconds.

I dont think there has ever been a more rollercoaster ride of emotions in such a short space of time.

Just so happened it was also my birthday the same day and having been through the tough times between 03/04 and 06/07 (Christ we had no idea) I feared we would never reach the pinnacle of Europe again. Not taking anything away from the magic of the Treble but I was probably too young to fully appreciate it and what it meant.

Theres quite a few other moments over the years obviously with a large amount in 2012/2013-coincided with the best time of my life at that point so always a little more fondness.

norm87cro

Well I clearly remember both CL triumphs. And really nothing comes close to those three minutes at the Camp Nou. But I always had a special place in my heart for Cantona's winner against the dippers. Remember watching it with my dad and thinking it wasn't going to be our day because James had such a fantastic match (before the cock up) and the goal was such a fecking masterpiece. Taking a step back before finishing. Me and my dad went mental and so did the dog (reacting to us of course). Lots of players would have a first touch at the ball i that situation but not the King...

Last edited by a moderator:

Denis' cuff

Well I clearly remember both CL triumphs. And really nothing comes close to those three minutes at the Camp Nou. But I always had a special place in my heart for Cantona's winner against the dippers. Remember watching it with my dad and thinking it wasn't going to be our day because James had such a fantastic match (before the cock up) and the goal was such a fecking masterpiece. Taking a step back before finishing. Me and my dad went mental and so did the dog (reacting to us of course). Lots of players would have a first touch at the ball i that situation but not the King...

Aye, that was pretty special. Had just arrived in Oz and had a few scouse mates (yep - really) we knew we couldn’t watch it together but feck me, did I have a grin when we met up the next day.

All Three EC have been cliff hangers. I suppose they wouldn’t have been so special if we cruised to an early lead and just played down the clock.

Tony Banta

Last Man Standing champion 2023/24
‘99 v Bayern, being there was incredible.

I remember still celebrating the equaliser, when Ole scored and for a split second I thought I was watching a reply of the first goal, it was a strange feeling, then realising it was a second goal. Absolute Pandemonium.

Special mention to the ‘09 league cup final, not a glamorous occasion or game by any stretch of the imagination but for me it completed the Quadruple. It meant I’d seen United Win the League (99), FA cup (94), CL (99) & League cup live.

Reactions: SteveJ

simplyared

1968 semi final European cup away to Real Madrid:

Lost the league title to City before the team travelled to the Bernabeu for the return leg to defend a one goal advantage. At half time the team were already 3-1 down and had been torn apart by the Spaniards. Two goals in the 2nd half, and one by our CB, the Munich survivor, Bill Foulkes (he never stepped over the halfway line otherwise), got us through to the final.
Wagged it from school the next day to go and greet the players at Manchester Airport. There were thousands of fans there. When we were on our way home, on the airport car park we find ourselves walking side by side with Nobby Stiles and talking to him as if he were one of our mates. He was being picked up by one of his mates.

Oh and by the way we went on to win in the final and trump City's league title!

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
The Arsenal semi final in 2004.

It was a very average United squad by Fergies standards but they fought so well that day.

Loon

:lol:
1993. The first time in my life I ever saw United win the league. Especially coming after the heartbreak of 1992.

danunited68

Macheda
Villa

I was behind the goal.

I have never been in a crowd that went so mental in my life I was 7 rows in front of where I started after he scored

Honorable mention to 99 and ole when I was jumping on the couch and my dad tried to punch me and I fell into and broke the coffee table

danunited68

Hello all.New to the forum,but supported United since 1964,when i saw Bobby Charlton(now quite rightly Sir)..my favourite Utd player of all time,not just for what a brilliant player,but his love for United,and the way he conducts himself. 1968 Than..European Cup Final against Benfica,will always be my most special Utd moment. The win,the passion,players,Wembley everything was total magic..even playing in all Blue.lol.

MoskvaRed

The Arsenal semi final in 2004.

It was a very average United squad by Fergies standards but they fought so well that day.
That game rarely gets brought up as it was not one of great Fergie teams but it was an enthralling semi-final. United as definite underdogs, Roy Carroll’s finest moment as we got battered early on and then United growing into the game (Ole on the wing was excellent). After a 10 year spell of almost relentless success, that game was like a flashback to some of our games against Liverpool in the 80s when we scrapped to overturn the odds. It’s should also be compulsory viewing to anyone presuming to argue the “invincibles” were in the same class as United 99 or United 2008.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Nothing comes close to completing the treble in ‘99 for me.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Apart from the very obvious moment of winning the champions league, treble, and any other historical win here's mine:

Moyes sacking
Hiring jose mourinho, the man who should have replaced saf in the first place
Buying ronaldo and Anderson, seems like saf has decided to play fm that year
Pogback, never thought we have the pulling power to lul him away from juve
Bfs/schneiderlin, 2 midfielder 1 window
David de gea staying

simplyared

Apart from the very obvious moment of winning the champions league, treble, and any other historical win here's mine:

Moyes sacking
David de gea staying
A manager getting the sack - weird!

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Macheda
Villa

I was behind the goal.

The feeling after that went in. You knew it was ours. From despair to fecking pandemonium. I nearly ended up on the pitch.

Oscar.Z.Acosta

The end of the '98-'99 season from the Villa Park Semi-final onwards is something I don't believe I'll ever experience again as a United fan. Watching it had a slightly surreal quality at times, but it was so exciting I feel sorry for any United fan that was too young to experience it properly (i.e. with alcohol and recreational drugs!)...

captcrunch227

For me being a fan of United only starting in the early 2000s when they starting broadcasting here in the states consistently I'll never forget the Rooney bicycle kick against Manchester City. That was one of those moments when you knew you'd seen something absolutely historical and incredible.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
The end of the '98-'99 season from the Villa Park Semi-final onwards is something I don't believe I'll ever experience again as a United fan. Watching it had a slightly surreal quality at times, but it was so exciting I feel sorry for any United fan that was too young to experience it properly (i.e. with alcohol and recreational drugs!)...
From Villa Park onwards, you really started believing that it was our year. Who else concedes a penalty in the dying moments of a game where they'd their captain sent off, manages to have it saved, and then gone on to win with one of the best solo goals you've ever seen?

Just that would've made for an epic story, enough for a whole season but nooo, we still were yet to witness Turin and Nou Camp at that point. Crazy times.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Swap 99 to 2008, add Ronaldo vs Arsenal CL semi , and the other 2 = my special UTD moments. Reason is simple - I was there!
Oh yeah, and one moment I was there for:
Knocking out Barca on the way to the 2008 final. OT was rocking. :D

dave1956

So many to choose from, however, against Chelsea at home. George Best had just broken into the first time, a slight figure moving down the left wing towards the scoreboard end ball at his feet as if it was tied to his boots. Across comes Ron ( Chopper ) Harris with the intent to show this young lad who was boss. He launches his typical tackle in he goes, but tackles fresh air, as George goes round him, he comes back at George with the clear intent of kicking George ball and all into touch and again tackles fresh air as he is turned inside and out. Then it's George's turn he shows the ball to Chopper for the third time, Chopper lunges in George twists left, right Chopper gets his legs in a twist and ends up on his backside near the corner flag totally out of the game.

George destroyed Harris in those couple of minutes, he never recovered his composure for the rest of the game.

Josh 76

Norman Whiteside in the 1985 cup final against Everyon.

Mark Robins winner against Oldham in the 1990 Fa cup semi final reply.

Mark Hughes 2nd goal against Barcalona in the 1991 cup winners cup final.

The days before the fairy tale began.....

Frank Grimes

Macheda
Villa

I was behind the goal.

Was your dad a city fan?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
1991. Cup winners cup. That third goal by mark hughes. Then i suppose i became a fan of united.

Denis' cuff

So many to choose from, however, against Chelsea at home. George Best had just broken into the first time, a slight figure moving down the left wing towards the scoreboard end ball at his feet as if it was tied to his boots. Across comes Ron ( Chopper ) Harris with the intent to show this young lad who was boss. He launches his typical tackle in he goes, but tackles fresh air, as George goes round him, he comes back at George with the clear intent of kicking George ball and all into touch and again tackles fresh air as he is turned inside and out. Then it's George's turn he shows the ball to Chopper for the third time, Chopper lunges in George twists left, right Chopper gets his legs in a twist and ends up on his backside near the corner flag totally out of the game.

George destroyed Harris in those couple of minutes, he never recovered his composure for the rest of the game.
If that’s the midweek league cup game it was about 1970/71? George had long been in the first team and if anything this was just before the start of his decline. He was single handed lay carrying us and eventually got fed up and that was it. That match was during a very dark period when we routinely got spanked by City and Leeds. I fact, the positive feeling after that Chelsea match was short lived because we we got beat at home to third division Aston Villa in the next round... Chico Hamilton and his blonde mullet... desperate times.

Sorry mate. Just realised... you probably mean the one where he tied Harris in knots on the left wing and I think, he then scored with a lovely ball floated over Bonetti from the narrow angle.

thelittlestelf

Even if its bittersweet when City won the league in 11/12 season,I was absolutely despondent, to come so close but then get pipped at the end felt like such a sucker punch. I ran into a certain player 6 days later whilst I was on holiday and got speaking to him for a while. He told me that don't get too down because we'll win the league next year. What happened? We did and since then no matter how crappy the situation gets, I always believe that this club will get back to being the best.

Last edited:
Reactions: Penna

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Macheda's goal was glorious. I nearly fell off the top tier of the North Stand when it went in, 70,000 people going utterly mental all at once was incredible, like the cork had just blown off a wine bottle and it all came out.

Being there for the 7-1 against Roma was magnificent. The edge in the atmosphere after the trouble in Rome and then the fight between the fans outside the ground before kick off was palpable. I can't remember which ex-United player was on the pitch before the match but he demanded that the fans do everything they can to shut the Roma fans up and help the team and my god did we. I was in corporate seats that night and even they were up singing for 90 minutes. The football we played was stunning, every goal including De Rossi's was a peach and it was just a brilliant night all round.

But really, 1999 and 2008 stand out. 2008 was great and the ecstacy of winning after seeing John Terry slip was great but 1999 takes top priority. We climbed the mountain with a bunch of kids that you never win anything with. All the years prior of going close and no cigar and then t all clicked. We were just never, ever beaten that season. I was in tears as a 9 year old when Basler scored, my dad celebrated loudly because he's a dickhead/Liverpool fan and I was miserable and then out of nowhere Teddy scored and I ran around the house screaming. Came back into the living room just in time to see Ole score and I lost it, ran out into the street and ran up and down for ages. Pure unfiltered joy.

NWOntario

Opening match of the 07/08 season. 0-0 vs. Reading. First and so far only time I’ve been to OT with my dad; he hadn’t been there since leaving Manchester in the early 70s.

Otherwise, Solskjaer’s goal, Terry’s miss, O’Shea in front of the Kop, Rio’s winner in SAF’s last game at OT...we’ve lived charmed lives.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Yep.

Honorable mentions go to Cantona in the 86th minute of the 96 Cup final and that penalty shootout in 08 but really, nothing comes close to that 3 minutes at the Nou Camp in 99.
The '96 final was godawful, barring that goal. The '99 UCL final was awful too, but hell those final three minutes...

The 6-2 away v a decent Newcastle in '03 was a massive highlight. Crucial to us overhauling Arsenal's massive lead. That Schole hattrick! Ended up watching with randoms in a pub after having a filling. Atmos was immense.

Wilt

Moyes sacking
David de gea staying
Have to agree with most of this, especially Moyes. He'd made us a laughing stock and it was like gift from the gods when they finally sacked him.

MarcRed96

Don’t feel like covering the obvious highlights (08, Sir Alex’s last title etc.) and things I was, unfortunately, too young to appreciate at the time, so I’ll try and go for five more obscure moments that I’ve always found particularly memorable for one reason or another.

United 2-0 West Brom

This is possibly the game that stands out most to me because it was the first I was ever able to attend. Having been a devout fan from the age of 7 I’d spent years begging my mum to let me stay up in Manchester to attend a game. None of my friends were fans but I was quite intent to go myself as I knew the experience would be worth it. For various reasons this never materialised until my 16th Birthday. The tickets had been purchased as soon as they were released and, with the aid of my Manchester-based relatives, my mum and I were able to make a weekend of it.

There was absolutely nothing remarkable about this game. It was a routine 2-0 victory in which Rooney scored both (a nice flicked finish and an uncontroversial penalty) but my God to me it meant everything. I will never forget walking up the steps and looking down onto the Old Trafford pitch for the first time: it felt like a dream come true and I felt like a wee boy again. The day was made that bit better by the news that City had lost late on at Swansea, meaning we’d managed to overtake them in the league table. Unfortunate how things transpired from then on but I, like most I imagine, tend to overlook that!

Blackburn 1-1 United

Contemplated putting in the other 1-1 draw with Blackburn in which a Rooney penalty secured number 19- a result that was obviously more memorable than this one- so my reasoning for mentioning this is that Tevez’s 87th minute equaliser is quite possibly the most relieved I’ve ever felt as a fan. Our team at the time consisted of the likes of Ronaldo and Tevez and throughout the duration of the 07-08 season there had never been a game, regardless of how far we’d been behind at any point, in which I hadn’t believed we’d come out with three points…until this one. We absolutely battered that Blackburn defence that day but Brad Friedel, as always, channelled his inner Lev Yashin and saved, blocked and parried everything we threw at him. Ronaldo, Tevez, Scholes, O’Shea…didn’t matter who took the shot, Friedel or/and his defence would somehow manage to smother it away.

The previous match week had seen us defeat Arsenal 2-1 and essentially take command in the title race so earning a point in this match was important as it ensured we hadn’t undone all our good work. So when Tevez finally (finally) got us a goal from a Scholes flick on at a corner in front of our away fans, the euphoric outburst of sheer relief was just an incredible feeling, one of those rare adrenaline-pumping moments where you can’t control your celebration and end up aggressively cursing and/or punching the air: the type of moment that only football can provide. It was the first time I’d ever experienced something like that- a common theme in these particularly memories- and I guess that’s why it sticks with me so heavily.

feck Tevez though.

United 2-1 Liverpool

Surprised this one isn’t mentioned more often. Aside from cup finals, this is by far the most satisfying victory I’ve experienced as a United fan. From the build-up to the game itself to the aftermath, this had everything a rivalry should have. What is often forgotten is that, aside from the context of the game, United winning was instrumental in our attempts to catch City: a win would briefly put us on top and, with Chelsea at the Bridge to come, it was a huge week in which it was important we re-established our credentials following exits in the Champions League and FA Cup.

But none of that is why this game mattered or is remembered. Obviously, this was Suarez’s first game back from an 8-match suspension for racially abusing our vice-captain. The tension and atmosphere was palpable even though I was resigned to listen to the game on the radio, having no access to streams or television that day. Strangely, this sort of made all the drama that followed all the more engrossing. I can’t remember the exact commentator that day- might have been Allan Green on 5-Live- but he was so caught up in the non-handshake; the Ferdinand tackle; the Suarez-kicking-the-ball-at-the-United-dugout; the pushing in the tunnel; the quickfire Rooney double; the Suarez consolation and the elaborate Evra celebrations when the referee finally blew his whistle, and it was infectious. I couldn’t see what was going on but I could imagine it and that made the events somehow more exciting.

The highlights didn’t even disappoint either. Even now I find it hard not to laugh whenever I see footage of Evra waving his arms in front of jubilant United fans whilst the sullen figure of Suarez skulks by, just before Skyrtel and whatever other clowns played for them that day get themselves involved and things turn deliciously nasty. Seeing such footage serves as a reminder as to why Liverpool will always be the biggest enemy.

Southampton 2-3 United

The most recent game in this list and memorable for the fact that it was the first game I watched in the pub. Having never owned Sky Sports I’d always found it difficult to watch Premier League matches involving United so, at the first opportunity, when all my mates were 18, we hit the pub and this happened to be the game we saw.

It is an undisputed fact that football, and just about anything else, is more fun to watch when you’ve had a drink in you. The alcohol amplifies the emotion and, as inexperienced 18-year-olds, we were well oiled fairly quickly and engrossed in the action. The game itself was brilliant, Lambert had given them the lead, van Persie had equalised in his second start for the club only for a certain Morgan to restore Southampton’s superiority in the second half. I distinctly remember one of my foolish pals advocating that United should sign Schneiderlin at this moment, oh what a fool he was! (okay it was me)

By this point I was getting a slagging, being the only United fan in the pub. The slagging only intensified when van Persie ludicrously attempted a half-arsed chip from the penalty spot which was of course saved and it just didn’t seem to be our day. Of course, van Persie would go on to redeem himself by scoring twice in the last few minutes to give us a 3-2 win. My pals and the punters were gutted. I was jubilant. Arguments followed. I was forced to leave the premises etc.

It had never really registered to me just how hated United are, even well outside of Manchester and England. People who have no right to hate us really do and that makes victories like these all the sweeter. As such, this game was important in that it helped me appreciate every goal, every win and every comeback that wee bit more. It’s a shame we haven’t experienced more games like this since (Palace was a nice reminder), though I think we had enough of those types of wins that season to last a lifetime!

Still haven’t been back to that pub mind.

United 5-2 Spurs

Arguably the most memorable game here and perhaps my favourite ever game involving United that wasn't a win in a final or against a rival. In many ways I hated the 08-09 season. The football wasn’t as exciting; the team seemed to lack a bit of the motivation and creative spark they’d had in seasons prior; Sir Alex kept trying to force Berbatov into the team and Ronaldo wanted to leave...

In this game, all of that was forgotten. Or, rather, in the second half of this game. 2-0 down at halftime with Liverpool breathing down our necks…everyone was tense, I’m sure we all remember that feeling that there was a possibility we might throw it all away…to them.

Then Sir Alex brought Tevez on at half time and everything changed. Berbatov, Rooney, Ronaldo and Tevez were now our front-line and the forty-five minutes that followed was really the only time this star-studded attacking force ever truly clicked, that I was recall anyway. And it was beautiful.

The pressure was relentless. When Webb (god bless you) gave us an unwarranted penalty I knew we would win. But that did not make the fact that we did turn it around any less satisfying. If anything it made it sweeter. The quick, incisive passing in the build-up to the second goal; the little bit of luck in Rooney’s fourth; the narrative of Berbatov’s fifth and passion and arrogance following Ronaldo’s decisive third (seriously, watch Ronaldo’s celebration when he heads in the third, if that doesn’t get the adrenaline going nothing will). Coupled with the drama of the 90 minutes and the occasion of the game…it all seemed to epitomise what Manchester United were about under Sir Alex. We came back from the dead in style and for that reason I will forever cherish it.

Just revisiting these memories and watching the highlights of these games reminds me how lucky I and we are to support such a club. Success is one thing but I always believe it’s the way you win that really matters. Everyone loves a good story and it’s games like the ones mentioned that make every title and trophy that extra bit special. When it comes to memories, I don’t associate our success with the image of Giggs lifting a piece of metal at Wigan, but rather with fans running onto the pitch at Ewood Park to celebrate an equaliser scored from a yard out in a game we didn’t even win.

That, to me, has always been what football’s all about and United’s recent history is full of little moments like this. Indeed, nobody does it better than we do.