Gaming Best video games of the 2010's

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
In some ways these threads are kinda silly without at least making the PC V console split and possible Nintendo vs the others bc of the exclusives etc. Everyone knows PC is still the one and only king of gaming platforms though. If it wouldn't be for platform crossover games pc's would be even further ahead but noooooo .... I can still play anything in ultra or high with an ancient pc these days bc otherwise your silly consoles couldn't handle the same game.

Bebe

Warhammer isn't the most cultured pick though. If I were truly cultured I'd say something like Medieval with the Stainless Steel mod or something :wenger:
I played stainless steel for the first time this year (been playing TW series since Rome 1). My game bugged out after ~150 turns but man is it brilliant. I'd give just about anything for that game, but with some of the modern TW dressings and graphics.

Irwin99

I only played Soma a year ago and I was blown away by the story.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Cuphead
The Last Guardian
Journey
Abzu
Super Meat boy
Dark Souls 3
Dark Souls 2
Dark Souls
Bio Shock Infinite
Tetris
Until Dawn VR
Brothers
Super Mario Maker
Nier Automata

Are some I enjoyed very much. And no I won't be dividing them into platform categories. Round my way we like the games for the games, we're not the types who get off on how many terafloppys we can ram in our motherboards.

Ainu

In some ways these threads are kinda silly without at least making the PC V console split and possible Nintendo vs the others bc of the exclusives etc. Everyone knows PC is still the one and only king of gaming platforms though. If it wouldn't be for platform crossover games pc's would be even further ahead but noooooo .... I can still play anything in ultra or high with an ancient pc these days bc otherwise your silly consoles couldn't handle the same game.
I don't see why. Games are games are games. As for the rest of your post: is this pc master race shit still going on?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I played stainless steel for the first time this year (been playing TW series since Rome 1). My game bugged out after ~150 turns but man is it brilliant. I'd give just about anything for that game, but with some of the modern TW dressings and graphics.
Yeah, hope they do medieval 3 at some point. Would be brilliant.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I don't see why. Games are games are games. As for the rest of your post: is this pc master race shit still going on?
Just for those that can't afford the consoles they want on top of a good pc.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Just for those that can't afford the consoles they want on top of a good pc.
Or those who can't afford a PC so buy consoles. Or those who prefer consoles?

I thought his comment was really dumb. A great game is a great game. I don't care what platform I play it on. I consider myself a PC person more than a Console person but honestly now I actually prefer at times when games come out on the Switch, despite their graphical inferiority, because I don't, in my 30's, have as much time to sit in front of a screen as I used to. For examples I don't see how I could've put 100+ hours into games like Fire Emblem: Three Houses and Octopath Traveler if I didn't have the convenience of the Switch.

Does playing a game on the Switch over the PC mean it's not as great a game?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

I thought his comment was really dumb. A great game is a great game. I don't care what platform I play it on. I consider myself a PC person more than a Console person but honestly now I actually prefer at times when games come out on the Switch, despite their graphical inferiority, because I don't, in my 30's, have as much time to sit in front of a screen as I used to. For examples I don't see how I could've put 100+ hours into games like Fire Emblem: Three Houses and Octopath Traveler if I didn't have the convenience of the Switch.

Yes, you shouldve hacked a tablet than programmed your own emulation software and play it like that for 3 extra fps!

It seems like pc master race is usually something that involves elaborate work arounds which involve having plenty of free time and living alone in a man cave sort of set up.

My Switch is my best business trip friend. Love it :)

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
My Switch is my best business trip friend. Love it :)
I genuinely think the Switch might be my favourite console ever. Sure it's under-powered and sure the UI is shit but I really don't know how nobody thought to do that with a console until now, it's a fecking godsend!

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"
I genuinely think the Switch might be my favourite console ever. Sure it's under-powered and sure the UI is shit but I really don't know how nobody thought to do that with a console until now, it's a fecking godsend!
I agree, playing Fire Emblem on the shitter is an experience nobody should miss.

What a time to be alive!

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
God of War takes this, quite comfortably for me too.

diarm

God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn equal best for me.

There are other games I've loved - Breath of the Wild, TLOU, MarioKart 8 and other games I haven't liked as much but can appreciate - The Witcher 3, MGS V, but those two were the ones I kept going back to time and time again.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
1. FIFA 11
2. FIFA 12
3. FIFA 13
4. FIFA 14
5. FIFA 15
6. FIFA 16
7. FIFA 17
8. FIFA 18
9. FIFA 19
10. FIFA 20

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas

Took longer than expected to trigger you guys. Just trolling guys :lol:

I ve had people try to convince me to get a PS4 and Xbox360 though but I'll get a console when next gen comes out. Im a graphics whore and you can't deny that for years PCs still have the upper hand there. I know graphics don't make a game (I grew up with the Ataris, Commodors, and eventually NES and Gameboy but when you know you have one platform with the same game and that part is clearly superior there than it's hard to ignore.

I will disagree with one thing that was mentioned as well in response to my comment and that's that pc's still need lots of tweaking etc to get games to run right. That time is long gone.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
PC is the gaming platform for me because my kind of stuff like isometric RPGs either does not exist or is shitty to play on consoles. In terms of variety of games PC always wins.

Irwin99

God of War 2019? wow! Great visuals but the story wasn't that great and it didn't feel like anything special to me. 8 out of 10 at best for me.

padr81

Supports
Man City
God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Witcher 3, Last of Us, Breath of the Wild. All pretty new but stupidly good each one and I can't seperate them.

Edit: feck it, if I have to pick one I'll go for God of War.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
God of War 2019? wow! Great visuals but the story wasn't that great and it didn't feel like anything special to me. 8 out of 10 at best for me.
Never got it either. It was great whenever Balder showed up, but apart from that we didn't get to fight any gods. Combat wasn't that great and neither was the story. Also a 8/10 for me. Sold it immediately after I bought since I had no desire to replay it.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
But in the beginning Kratos is all like feck off boy! And in the end he's more like, I tolerate your existence boy! So much character development. Seriously though, it was a fun game, but not THAT amazing.

The Witcher 3 wins this hands down. It's really no contest me.

pacifictheme

I thought w3 was quite generic generally. A few highlights and looked nice but the combat was only passable and the over arching story was nothing special.

For me game of the decade was Bloodborne.

OleBoiii

- Best competitive/e-sports game: Counter Strike: Global Offensive
I still think CS 1.6 is the better game, which my friends give me a lot of shit for, but CS:GO is similar enough. I'm not a fan of strategy games and other FPS games have too much shit going on. The simplicity of CS is one of the things that makes it so great.

- Best single player game: Breath Of The Wild
It's a Zelda game, and a damn good one on top of that. One of the best in the series?

EDIT:
Honorable mention to Portal 2.

Gehrman

- Best competitive/e-sports game: Counter Strike: Global Offensive
I still think CS 1.6 is the better game, which my friends give me a lot of shit for, but CS:GO is similar enough. I'm not a fan of strategy games and other FPS games have too much shit going on. The simplicity of CS is one of the things that makes it so great.

- Best single player game: Breath Of The Wild
It's a Zelda game, and a damn good one on top of that. One of the best in the series?

EDIT:
Honorable mention to Portal 2.
I found breath of the wild incredibly overrated and I'm saying that as the biggest fan of the series. It lacked all the key things that made Zelda games great. I kind of agree with this poster although he is maybe a bit too harsh.

Portal 2 was quality though. Humour in gaming at it's best.

Gehrman

I thought w3 was quite generic generally. A few highlights and looked nice but the combat was only passable and the over arching story was nothing special.

For me game of the decade was Bloodborne.
Bloodborne is also my candidate.

Actually It think both DS3, Bloodborne and Sekiro are easily some of the best games ever.

OleBoiii

I found breath of the wild incredibly overrated and I'm saying that as the biggest fan of the series. It lacked all the key things that made Zelda games great. I kind of agree with this poster although he is maybe a bit too harsh.

I only have 4 problems with BOTW:

1. The temples are shite
This is the only big flaw, but boy is it a big one. The temples are generally the best thing about Zelda games, and they screwed that up. Not much more to say.

2. The final boss was too easy to defeat
I mean, the final boss has never been that hard to defeat in 3D Zelda games, but this was just a little too easy. Minor flaw, but worth mentioning.

3. You can't climb when it's raining
Realistic? Yeah. Annoying as feck? YES!

4. No recipe book
Would make cooking so much more convenient.

I still maintain that it's one of the best Zelda games, though. Apart from the above, they did everything right(and then some). The story isn't great, but it never has been in Zelda games! This story is by no means worse than normal.

OOT was groundbreaking. MM and WW had amazing atmospheres. But BOTW is the most beautiful and fun 3D Zelda game to date, imo. It's also going to age better than the others(apart from WW maybe). If the temples were better, I'd have no problem claiming that BOTW is the best Zelda game ever by a comfortable margin.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
The games i've played most this decade would be:

Player Unknown Battlegrounds
- Played, way, way too much of this game. At its best it's fantastic with some brutal adrenline moments, at its worst it's a pile of frustrating shit.
Dota 2 - See above.
Skyrim - Despite never finishing this game (got a really frustrating bug which meant it would instantly crash the game if I touched water), it was still an impressive sandbox game. Had many flaws though but still deeply enjoyable with probably the best soundtrack ever.
Witcher 3 - I loved this game, just brilliant. Everything about it for me got a massive tick.
Last of Us - The only zombie game that i've played and actually loved. The characters are fantastic, story amazing let down by slightly mediocre gameplay in places but it's still an excellent, excellent game.
Divinity Original Sin 2 - Not actually completed this yet, just going through it now but it's an instant contender to be in my top 5 games of all time.

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
Feels like I'm the only person in the world who couldn't get into Witcher 3. Going to give it one more try.
I have never played it. Bought it on sale recently...

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
Mine. I tend to hammer one game and obviously don't get a lot of gaming time...

All ps4

Skyrim - so good I bought it twice.
The last of us.
Batman Arkham Knight
Days Gone
COD MW
Spiderman
Fallout 4

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Probably forgot some but I'd say

Bloodborne
God of War
Horizon Zero Dawn
Breath of the Wild (Even if I do agree with some of the criticisms)
FFVII: Remake @Art Vandelay
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Gehrman

I only have 4 problems with BOTW:

1. The temples are shite
This is the only big flaw, but boy is it a big one. The temples are generally the best thing about Zelda games, and they screwed that up. Not much more to say.

2. The final boss was too easy to defeat
I mean, the final boss has never been that hard to defeat in 3D Zelda games, but this was just a little too easy. Minor flaw, but worth mentioning.

3. You can't climb when it's raining
Realistic? Yeah. Annoying as feck? YES!

4. No recipe book
Would make cooking so much more convenient.

I still maintain that it's one of the best Zelda games, though. Apart from the above, they did everything right(and then some). The story isn't great, but it never has been in Zelda games! This story is by no means worse than normal.

OOT was groundbreaking. MM and WW had amazing atmospheres. But BOTW is the most beautiful and fun 3D Zelda game to date, imo. It's also going to age better than the others(apart from WW maybe). If the temples were better, I'd have no problem claiming that BOTW is the best Zelda game ever by a comfortable margin.
I find the stories in the previous Zelda games somewhat simplictic but very well executed. In OOT the whole time warp works like charm do make you actually feel everything has consequenses. Where Nintendo go wrong is when they make Ganondorf the main antagonist in nearly every Zelda game. They don't have to. But I also felt that WW story was well executed.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Skyrim - Despite never finishing this game (got a really frustrating bug which meant it would instantly crash the game if I touched water), it was still an impressive sandbox game. Had many flaws though but still deeply enjoyable with probably the best soundtrack ever.
The worst thing about that is that 10 years later, Bethesda games still have the same bugs plaguing the ancient engine they use to create their game worlds:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I started Skyrim vr a few week back. Still a great game, even if the combat is rubbish. VR adds tonnes of flavor too.