Best Way to Old Trafford from Manc. Piccadilly?

bollox

I'm off to Old Trafford tomorrow for the Newcastle game but haven't ever travelled by train before. I'm heading for Manchester Piccadilly but unsure as to where to head from there? Anybody got any advice for getting to and leaving the game?

All help appreciated! Thanks.

Giggzinho

Punjabi dude
ok basically - leave the station and walk straight on and carry on walking straight for about 2 minutes if you get confused ask people around you where the tram stop is , its no more than a 2 minute walk from manchester piccadily - once your on the tram jump off at the stop at old trafford and follow the crowd or the signs for old trafford its no more than a 5 minute walk from the tram stop! hope this helps!

sin65

Left wing radical
Walk to piccadilly bus station and get the 250 straight to the ground.Most of the buses from the 250 stop go passed the ground.

LondonRed64

Giggzinho said:
ok basically - leave the station and walk straight on and carry on walking straight for about 2 minutes if you get confused ask people around you where the tram stop is , its no more than a 2 minute walk from manchester piccadily - once your on the tram jump off at the stop at old trafford and follow the crowd or the signs for old trafford its no more than a 5 minute walk from the tram stop! hope this helps!

Theres a tram stop under the station itself costs 2 quid return. Just follow the red shirts down the stairs and have your 2 quid ready to pay before entering the platform.

If you get lost then you probably are a city fan
:)

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
By Train/Metrolink

I Quote

"Probably the best way to get to the stadium is by Metrolink or train from Manchester Piccadilly mainline station, as Old Trafford has both its own railway station next to the ground and a Metrolink station which is located next to Lancashire County Cricket Club on Warwick Road, which leads up to Sir Matt Busby Way.

The Metrolink also has another branch line going to Eccles from Manchester
Centre. There are two stops to leave the tram - Pomona and Exchange Quay. These are on the opposite (Salford) side of the ground - probably a quieter line on Matchdays. Pomona is the closest to the ground, only a short walk away and closer than Lancashire CC. Exchange Quay is the one to use for return journeys as the trams get full and may not stop at Pomona going back'.

If using the Metrolink, away fans are better off taking the Altrincham - Bury route and getting off at Old Trafford station, by the cricket ground - just follow the crowds for the football. While the nearest stations to the ground are probably Pomona or Exchange Quays on the Eccles line, they not particularly convenient for getting to or from the away end. However, when leaving, if you have a train to catch after the game, avoid Old Trafford Metrolink at all costs! The best bet is get the train from Old Trafford station to Piccadilly - the entrance to the station is immediately outside the away end."

bollox

Thanks guys. Looking forward to it. I got a good feeling that the Rooney we know will be back for this one.

reelworld

LondonRed64 said:
Theres a tram stop under the station itself costs 2 quid return. Just follow the red shirts down the stairs and have your 2 quid ready to pay before entering the platform.

If you get lost then you probably are a city fan
:)
Yep, I think this is the easiest way.
The police are usually pretty helpful on matchdays anyway.

bollox

Julian Denny said:
And the best way back to Piccadilly after the game ?
I'd assume if it's 2 quid return on the Metro, just jump back on.

Julian Denny

bollox said:
Isn't it difficult to get on with the crowd after the game. Is it better to walk ? Just wanted to know as I'll be over for the Portsmouth game

Giggzinho

Punjabi dude
walk mate - just walk - the buses etc take the absoloute piss!!!!!! me and my mate jogged back to piccadily after following a map on the road - we asked people along the way aswell it shudnt take you longer than 45 minutes at the max

northroad1878

A bit of a brute
Why all the rush to get away is what I always don't get? Yeah the match is over, but the club you all love is a part of MANCHESTER and nobody from OOT ever seems to want to spend any time in it outside of the 90 minutes and maybe a few pints before KO.

Get to the pub, take your time till the queues are gone and then get around town. Before your tram turns up, you could have walked to Eccles, the founding centre of civilization, for example.

red_indian

bollox said:
mate take it on good advice..the best way back is to get the 'special' train service that runs from Old Trafford (just by where South stand meets East) to Piccadilly. It's about £2/£3 and is much quicker than the metro.also with the metro on the way back you'd probably have to wait for atleast two to go by before getting on to one..unless you leave the game early!:nono:

Enjoy the great atmosphere and the game!

bollox

red_indian said:
mate take it on good advice..the best way back is to get the 'special' train service that runs from Old Trafford (just by where South stand meets East) to Piccadilly. It's about £2/£3 and is much quicker than the metro.also with the metro on the way back you'd probably have to wait for atleast two to go by before getting on to one..unless you leave the game early!:nono:

Enjoy the great atmosphere and the game!
Thanks for that. Metro there and train back seems the best options. Let's hope I don't get lost :)