Television Better Call Saul | Includes Breaking Bad Spoilers

Twigg

Not Twigginator
Supports
100 extrapolation
Nacho must die soon considering that he wasn't in breaking bad but the other 3 were.

Also, Eboue sucks.
He seems to be breaking off from his gang though, and he doesn't seem interested in the drug business but more the 'con' business, so maybe that could be the reaosn he doesn't appear in Breaking Bad? Complete stab in the dark.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I can see him ending up as a bad guy we all grow to like that croaks it.
They seem to be plotting the same route as Walt already. Meek and mild professional that through a series of events ends up "Breaking Bad" and losing his inhibitions and gradually and conveniently shifting his moral compass until he is almost a different person.

I think they will pull it off differently this time though, I just don't see him being as cold as Walt. Walt was effectively a sociopath by the end (way before then). I think we will see a lot more of a journey with Saul who won't be able to handle things quite as cooly and it will lead to the broken man we saw in the opening sequence.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
They seem to be plotting the same route as Walt already. Meek and mild professional that through a series of events ends up "Breaking Bad" and losing his inhibitions and gradually and conveniently shifting his moral compass until he is almost a different person.

I think they will pull it off differently this time though, I just don't see him being as cold as Walt. Walt was effectively a sociopath by the end (way before then). I think we will see a lot more of a journey with Saul who won't be able to handle things quite as cooly and it will lead to the broken man we saw in the opening sequence.
I meant Nacho :D

But yeah, I think we'll see some progression with Saul. Not as much as Walt though.

He still lacks any real balls in BB. And we've already seen he ends up broken afterwards. However, I reckon we'll also see how he recovers from that.

Cina

The main purpose of the show clearly seems to be to progress Saul as a character, must like with Walt's transformation in BB. The problem with that though is that we already know what Saul becomes and it seems obvious how he'll progress to that sort of character, so it's less enticing for me.

kps88

The main purpose of the show clearly seems to be to progress Saul as a character, must like with Walt's transformation in BB. The problem with that though is that we already know what Saul becomes and it seems obvious how he'll progress to that sort of character, so it's less enticing for me.
To be fair most people knew where Walt was heading too. Gilligan couldn't stop sharing his "Mr. Chips to Scarface" quote (really annoyed me!). The most important thing is the journey and I hope they manage to make that as different to Walt's as possible.

S01E03

kps88

Does anyone else feel the whole opening theme tune/jingle sequence seems a little off? It also ends very abruptly for some reason, like it was done by an amateur editor who cut at the wrong time.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
To be fair most people knew where Walt was heading too. Gilligan couldn't stop sharing his "Mr. Chips to Scarface" quote (really annoyed me!). The most important thing is the journey and I hope they manage to make that as different to Walt's as possible.
Saul doesn't end up as Scarfsce though. He's still just as scatty and timid at the end of BB as he is at the start of BCS so the arc has to be different.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Does anyone else feel the whole opening theme tune/jingle sequence seems a little off? It also ends very abruptly for some reason, like it was done by an amateur editor who cut at the wrong time.
It's supposed to be bad, imo - like his cheap advertisements.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
Another good episode. This show is probably my favourite thing on telly at the moment. Much better opening season than Breaking Bad already.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
I liked. It moved the story on nicely. We see now how Saul is going to become involved with Nacho and how Mike is going to fit into the story.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Another good episode. This show is probably my favourite thing on telly at the moment. Much better opening season than Breaking Bad already.
I'm enjoying the show so far very much but let's not get carried away.

Señor

I'm enjoying the show so far very much but let's not get carried away.
Iirc, the first season of Breaking Bad wasn't that great. Started off really slowly, didn't it? It's been so long since I watched it but that's what I remember feeling the first time I watched it.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Iirc, the first season of Breaking Bad wasn't that great. Started off really slowly.
The whole show was slow in parts but it was never a negative aspect, and its not like BCS has been all action.

Pacing aside, a hell of a lot happened in the first season of BB: I mean ffs the bathtub scene was in episode two!

Señor

The whole show was slow in parts but it was never a negative aspect, and its not like BCS has been all action.

Pacing aside, a hell of a lot happened in the first season of BB: I mean ffs the bathtub scene was in episode two!
Yeah, you're probably right. It's been a while since I watched it so my memory's a little hazy but I can't recall being this enthusiastic about watching the first season of Breaking Bad as I am watching this.

It's definitely my favourite show on at the moment, though.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Yeah, you're probably right. It's been a while since I watched it so my memory's a little hazy but I can't recall being this enthusiastic about watching the first season of Breaking Bad as I am watching this.

It's definitely my favourite show on at the moment, though.
Ask yourself if you honestly think you'd be quite as enthusiastic if you hadn't seen Breaking Bad first?

Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed what we've seen so far, but it's riding on its big brother's coat tails quite a lot.

Señor

Ask yourself if you honestly think you'd be quite as enthusiastic if you hadn't seen Breaking Bad first?

Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed what we've seen so far, but it's riding on its big brother's coat tails quite a lot.
Yeah, don't get me wrong, Breaking Bad was awesome, particularly in the latter seasons and Better Call Saul has a long way to go before it can start being compared to the kind of telly Breaking Bad produced (although it looks like it'll be going that way).

Point I was making was Breaking Bad season 1 (and to an extent 2), while good, weren't that much better than other shows on telly at the time. It was the three seasons preceding it that made it a contender for one of the GOAT TV shows.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Yeah, don't get me wrong, Breaking Bad was awesome, particularly in the latter seasons and Better Call Saul has a long way to go before it can start being compared to the kind of telly Breaking Bad produced (although it looks like it'll be going that way).

Point I was making was Breaking Bad season 1 (and to an extent 2), while good, weren't that great. It was the three seasons preceding it that made it a contender for one of the GOAT TV shows.
I definitely agree that it took on a new level from season three: Saul, Mike and Gus were great additions. I still think the first two were great though.

BCS has done a good job so far of setting things up, and I'm optimistic for what's coming.

stu_1992

Point I was making was Breaking Bad season 1 (and to an extent 2), while good, weren't that much better than other shows on telly at the time. It was the three seasons preceding it that made it a contender for one of the GOAT TV shows.
I agree with this, especially about season 1 of Breaking Bad. This is coming from someone who absolutely loves Breaking Bad.

Revan

Assumptionman
Iirc, the first season of Breaking Bad wasn't that great. Started off really slowly, didn't it? It's been so long since I watched it but that's what I remember feeling the first time I watched it.
Agree. I think that Breaking Bad became really excellent at season 3, while the first two seasons were just good.

Also, IIRC the first season was very short. 6 or 8 episodes.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I'm rewatching BB at the moment and I think you guys are doing the first few seasons a disservice. There's so much happened and I've only just finished S1.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Thought I was using a shit stream or something, pretty annoying really.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
It was an alright episode, not better than the first two though. I'm glad there's going be another seven episodes unlike some 1st seasons that consist of 6-8 so this hopefully will keep me hooked until GOT is back. Just by watching this it's making me crave to watch BB all over again, I've haven't watched it since the finale in 2013. This show has got potential just hope the writers know what they're doing with it.

Oggmonster

I'm rewatching BB at the moment and I think you guys are doing the first few seasons a disservice. There's so much happened and I've only just finished S1.
I think it gets better on second viewing. I had to watch the first three series of Breaking Bad twice and did much prefer the first series the second time round as you know the result (or I knew it up until the end of Series 3 anyway.) Getting into Breaking Bad late was a struggle for some people, including me at first, as you'd heard all the hype and the first series is pretty slow so it seemed top not live up to expectations. It's also hard to tell people what the show is about without really ruining it.

I like the start of Better Call Saul, I definitely agree what you said before when it does benefit from being a spinoff as slower episodes are forgiven more. Whilst it seems inevitable Nacho will die there is other ways for him to leave the show and the story is getting interesting. The character of Saul in Breaking Bad whilst not particularly strong was definitely more ruthless than he is in this, he has clear morals in this show such as when he felt guilty cos the kids had gone missing, that seems to have disappeared in Breaking Bad completely.

GBBQ

Really enjoying this. Granted it does suffer from the limitations of it being a prequel but it still leaves plenty of scope for his journey.

So obviously BB was knwon for its foreshadowing and referencing (pretty cool round up of it all here, though obviously a lot of BB spoilers - http://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/look-on-my-works-ye-mighty-and-despair#.yhynQZxdY0 ). Has there been anything like that in BCS yet?

Sylar

Really enjoying it and more for Mike this week. Interested to see how Mike and Sauls relationship grows now.

With BCS, it all depends on how many eps/ seasons they go. First season they can ride the BB coattails, so to speak, then push off based on that but need to develop their characters.

Im glad it serious elements which also play on BB style, but then the comedic parts to it without it being too much like a "sitcom" that aims for laughs.

Want to see if they go beyond BB timeline too to show what happens with Saul (or whether they end it there)

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I'm going to keep watching it but I'm not really a fan at all. It all seems a bit aimless (but oddly well-polished at the same time).

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
I'm going to keep watching it but I'm not really a fan at all. It all seems a bit aimless (but oddly well-polished at the same time).
I kind of agree with this. I wouldn't say I'm not a fan at all but I definitely don't think it's anywhere near as good as most on here do.

Twigg

Not Twigginator
Supports
100 extrapolation
I love it, I can't find any faults with it.
There are some stupid bits, like the twins skitching cars to follow someone, some of the acting like, again, the twins, Kim (don't like her at all), the family in the tent didn't convince me at all that they were scared when Saul made them jump (I'm being really pedantic here though). But generally it's been quite good.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
There are some stupid bits, like the twins skitching cars to follow someone, some of the acting like, again, the twins, Kim (don't like her at all), the family in the tent didn't convince me at all that they were scared when Saul made them jump (I'm being really pedantic here though). But generally it's been quite good.
To follow on about your complaint about the acting, I don't think Odenkirk has a big enough range of emotions to carry the show if it does go down a darker route like Breaking Bad did. He's great as a comedy actor but even in these episodes I think he struggles when he's supposed to be more serious. Although people probably would have said the same about Cranston at the start of Breaking Bad so I could be completely wrong.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Family is way safer in the woods with millions in their bags than in their house, that was clever move by them.

And I agree with @Twigg about Kim.

Getsme

I suppose if you delve into that side of it you will find some flaws, the twins following a car on skateboards and then pretending to have a broken leg was bordering on lunacy :lol: