Better striker for Real Madrid: Raul or Benzema?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Raul was just an above-average player, who was lucky to play for Madrid for an incredibly long time.
Raul was an excellent footballer who was not all about numbers. But Benzema is clearly in a different class.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Benzema has been there for ages now. Not born and bred in Madrid but all of his prime has been at Madrid. He's done enough, scored enough and won enough to be greater.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Benzema, even before last season in my mind.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Id say Benzema but nowadays people elevate Benzema to a different level because of his last few years of mega success.

Its easy to forget he had some really average seasons for Madrid as well. Not long ago the sentiment he was surplus wouldn’t be so shocking. Before anyone points out any tactics as to why he sucked, he was just not clinical enough so its nothing to do with tactics either

Dannn411

Benzema for sure with what he has done since Ronaldo's departure.

FreckBarca

Supports
Espanyol
Id say Benzema but nowadays people elevate Benzema to a different level because of his last few years of mega success.

Its easy to forget he had some really average seasons for Madrid as well. Not long ago the sentiment he was surplus wouldn’t be so shocking. Before anyone points out any tactics as to why he sucked, he was just not clinical enough so its nothing to do with tactics either
I think this is a bad take. Everyone is taking into account his bad seasons, as they should.

If anyone thought Benzema has played for 18 years like he did last season they would compare him to Cristiano and Messi, not to Raúl.

Last edited:

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid

Ronaldo was the better player and better scorer and I was on the opinion that Benzema needed some competition in order to keep him sharp as he was a guaranteed starter no matter what, even if he was in poor form. He has stepped up massively since he's our main striker and now I do feel he has been a better player than Raul. He has a lot of talent and is a very elegant player, I think that's why a lot of people likes him so much and don't remember his bad spells.

Fabio Rochemback

I'm a huge fan of Raul, he was one of my favourite players growing up and a big part of the reason I followed the Spanish league. I don't like Benzema, seems like a scumbag.

That said, Benzema takes it. There's not a huge gulf between them but enough of one that I don't think it's a particularly difficult call.

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United
Benzema easily. Not even a debate for me.

Siorac

Rio Ferdinand “Raul was the hardest opponent I ever faced.”

it’s closer than people think.
By that logic you could argue that Raúl > Brazilian Ronaldo (or at least that "it's closer than people think"). Rio faced both.