Music Black Midi

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Probably the most talked-about band in the UK right now release their debut album tomorrow. I don't think I've ever come across a band more polarising. Any fans?

macheda14

I’d say they are very much more a live band. All very adept at following a jam, most of the actual recordings I’ve heard haven’t hit me as much as their live performance

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I mean I didn’t hate it. It’s definitely different.

Parts of it reminded me of Hospice by The Antlers for some reason.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I'm gonna give their debut a spin for sure, and maybe their gig at Roskilde Festival in a few weeks time.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
I'm gonna give their debut a spin for sure, and maybe their gig at Roskilde Festival in a few weeks time.
Which day are they playing? I don’t think I’ve seen their name in the line up.

Zebs

Giving it a listen, I like the odd rhythms, the drumming is unreal, like Brann Dailor of Mastodon for just being so fecking out there. I'll definitely give the album a spin.
Yeah, Morgan is an incredible drummer. A whirlwind of arms when you see 'em live. It's unbelievable.

Maagge

Which day are they playing? I don’t think I’ve seen their name in the line up.
Friday at 9 pm, which is a decent slot. It's interesting they've been booked with so little material available.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Friday at 9 pm, which is a decent slot. It's interesting they've been booked with so little material available.
Right, don’t know how I missed it. Can’t say I know anything about them, but I liked the song posted above, so I’ll probably give it a try. Hopefully they can make up for an otherwise lousy line up.

Maagge

Right, don’t know how I missed it. Can’t say I know anything about them, but I liked the song posted above, so I’ll probably give it a try. Hopefully they can make up for an otherwise lousy line up.
I think it's a good to great lineup to be honest. Especially the punk-ish names are quite good: Parquet Courts, Crack Cloud, Fontaines D.C., Amyl and the Sniffers, Death Grips, Pardans and black midi if they deliver on their debut.

Zebs

I think it's a good to great lineup to be honest. Especially the punk-ish names are quite good: Parquet Courts, Crack Cloud, Fontaines D.C., Amyl and the Sniffers, Death Grips, Pardans and black midi if they deliver on their debut.
Even if you don't like the record, do go see them. Whole different ball game live.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Fair enough. I don’t know any of the named you just posted:lol:

In any case, it’s a good opportunity for me to broaden my music horizon.

Zebs

Fontaines DC are one of the best new bands in the world.

Amyl & The Sniffers are good craic. Lead singer is a nutjob.

GJNJ

I don't mind the music but the vocals I find extremely grating.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Fontaines DC are one of the best new bands in the world.

Amyl & The Sniffers are good craic. Lead singer is a nutjob.
Cheers for the tip.

It’s usually a good sign when the singer is mental.

Maagge

Parquet Courts are by far my favourite band this year.

What do you usually listen to?

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Parquet Courts are by far my favourite band this year.

What do you usually listen to?
I’ll try and check that out as well.

I’m an odd ball when it comes to music as Rolling Stones and Roy Orbison probably are the most played artists on my Spotify. I do like Graduation by Kanye West, too, though.

Maagge

I’ll try and check that out as well.

I’m an odd ball when it comes to music as Rolling Stones and Roy Orbison probably are the most played artists on my Spotify. I do like Graduation by Kanye West, too, though.
Oh, Shame is playing as well, speaking of punk vibes.

I don't really know Roy Orbison's music. But maybe Spiritualised and Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever is more your style (probably a reach here, haha). There's also a shit ton of female singer-songwriters if that's your thing.

Sons of Kemet and The Comet is Coming are great for a party I reckon.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I know I’m pushing forty and I’m going to sound like an old fart, but that was fecking shit.

Classical Mechanic

Sounds like they wanted to start a math band but couldn’t be bothered to learn how to play properly so enlisted a fey beat poet wannabe to front them and pull in the hipster dollar.

Last edited:

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
I know I’m pushing forty and I’m going to sound like an old fart, but that was fecking shit.
Didn't like it either, but i listened for a little bit, and i survived longer than most the rap shit people share on this forum :lol:

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Oh, Shame is playing as well, speaking of punk vibes.

I don't really know Roy Orbison's music. But maybe Spiritualised and Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever is more your style (probably a reach here, haha). There's also a shit ton of female singer-songwriters if that's your thing.

Sons of Kemet and The Comet is Coming are great for a party I reckon.
All those bands and I know none of them. I knew I had to get out of my comfort zone this year, so it’s good to get some advice.

Punk can be great, particularly after a lot of pints, so I’m definately gonna see Shame then.

Thanks a lot.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Didn't like it either, but i listened for a little bit, and i survived longer than most the rap shit people share on this forum :lol:
Don’t get me started on that mate :lol:. I loved a bit of 2pac, snoop or ice cube back in the day, but this grime shit and R and B bollocks is just noise to an old fart like me :). I hear better music from a row of occupied toilet stools in the gents room :D

Zebs

:lol: polarising indeed.

Zebs

Anyway, here's the album.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
The singer sounds like he's doing an impression of Dave Matthews, but it's one of those impressions that implies the person is an idiot.

Couldn't get into it. I understand it as much as I understand clown nuns so maybe I'm just getting old.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Why are they the most talked about band when their debut album hasn't even released?

Fingeredmouse

bmbmbmbmbm was great I thought, but none of their other songs have truly grabbed me yet.
Some them live in January. Thought they were wildly inconsistent: brilliant at points, dreadful at others. The singer annoys me at a visceral level.

Zebs

Gutted to be missing their gig in Dublin tonight. Album has really held up in my opinion. Definitely in my Top 10 of last year.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I mean I didn’t hate it. It’s definitely different.

Parts of it reminded me of Hospice by The Antlers for some reason.
I knew his voice reminded me of someone. That's been bugging me every time I've listened to the album.