Television Black Mirror | Season 6 out June 15th

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Won’t watch the episode again? Or giving up on the season?
Ah just that particular episode - I'm not that impatient! I've watched a handful of the older ones a few times, but this won't be on that list.

cyberman

Didn’t like episode 1 really. Episode 2 is a lot better so if you want to get into the season I’d suggest start with 2.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Liked the first episode. Nothing incredible but better than what they’ve served up in previous seasons.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I’m only seen Joan is Awful so far, and it was pretty good…However the issue with Black Mirror now (seemingly more than the other anthology shows) is the repetition, as there’s always an episode or 2 in each new series that touches on the same issues or makes the same points or simply does the same things as something from the earlier shows… which makes it a lot harder for the new ones to seem as fresh or relevant as those were.

for example…

This must be at least the 5th one by now where the twist/Black Mirrory bit is “they were inside the thing the whole time!!”

San Junipero - inside the thing the whole time
Video game one with Lil’ boy Russell - inside the thing the whole time
The dating app one - inside the thing the whole time
Meth Damon Star Trek - inside the thing most of the time
White Christmas - inside the thing the whole time

It’s the Toy Story 4 of Black Mirrors. It’s pretty good, but it’s completely inessential and not as good as the earlier ones that covered much of the same ground better.

Last edited:

DouLou

Been caught pooping
I enjoyed it a lot. From worst to best I'd say...

4, 5, 2, 1, 3

I'm not how I feel about the turn away from tech dystopia/satire to mystery/supernatural. They were my least favorite episodes of the season for sure.

MiceOnMeth

I enjoyed it a lot. From worst to best I'd say...

4, 5, 2, 1, 3

I'm not how I feel about the turn away from tech dystopia/satire to mystery/supernatural. They were my least favorite episodes of the season for sure.
My exact ranking and feelings too. Aaron Pauls acting stole the whole season imo.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Episode 3- Beyond the Sea, is dividing people, some say it is the best of this season, for some the worst. I am in the latter group, a completely dour episode of the series for me, probably in bottom 5 BM episodes of all time in my list.

The first episode. was actually the only episode in this season which is typical of earlier seasons of BM. Fine episode in that season, I actually do think there is enough there to re-visit in future. Second episode on true crime genre, had a good story behind it but poor execution.
I think unraveling the story as part of an actual true crime documentary being shot in action would have been a better watch.
. Third like I said, simply was too boring for me and theme seemed a repetition of previous episodes bar the ending, which too left one wanting. Fourth was passable but nothing special despite the surprise twist. Fifth episode, I kind of liked, though pay off was not as rewarding as some of the better BM episodes, but this was the best executed episode of the lot for me.

My ranking of episodes would be: 1 > 5 > 2 > 4 > 3.

Overall one of the weaker, if not the weakest season. None of these episodes would crack my 10 of BM episodes. Departure from tech oriented themes in couple of episodes are a signal for lack of novel material left in that space for BM now. I won't be surprised if future seasons pretty much now shift the genre all together.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I haven't watched this season yet, but I really didn't like the previous season. I don't think I finished it, in fact. It's very difficult to keep these types of shows fresh. I have a similar feeling towards Inside No 9, which I think is a better show, overall. However, I haven't even watched the latest season of that, because the previous season put me off. These types of high-concept, standalone stories, that typically become known for their twists are so hard to maintain, particularly when it's only one person writing them.

I know Brooker has worked with one or two others, but it's primarily his show, and he writes the vast majority of them on his own (although Jesse Armstrong actually wrote my favorite episode). I just think it's so hard to keep shows like this fresh, and your expectations as an audience are so high that it's almost impossible to live up to them.

Amir

I don't know what they were thinking with episode 4... It was almost like a silly student horror film. I could understand the message... But it was a dreadful way to convey it.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Why not just send the clones into space and leave the real guys on earth?

Fabio Rochemback

I liked Joan Is Awful. Not all that thought-provoking but undeniably entertaining.

Loch Henry... Jesus Christ. Bravo, very fecking disturbing. The VCR scene where she walks through the door with a drill is going to haunt my nightmares for months. I can see why some people found it predictable, with hindsight. I of course am not so thick that I didn't guess something of significance would be on those tapes but I didn't know what to expect. Pia's death and the build up to it was a little sloppy and felt unnecessary. I guess it added a bit of suspense in so much as making us think Janet could still get away with it

Beyond the Sea I thought was masterful.

Episodes 4 & 5 are both way below par. The Boney M Demon character is just annoying. Having him speak like a normal working class bloke could potentially have been funny. Instead it felt contrived and overstated

Last edited:

Mockney

Loch Henry was good, and didn’t even suffer that much from the fact I guessed it all early on just from the casting… it had a good enough Black Mirror ‘point’ that hadn’t been run into the ground too much

(though it is kinda….

15 Million Merits

..I guess. But not too much.)

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I watched Beyond the Sea after seeing it get rave reviews. I thought it was really bad. The plotting is just layers of ridiculousness that become increasingly distracting. Why the hippies, why aren't they up there, why no basic checks and balances on an expensive project, the ending. (I do actually know why, just that the answers are lousy) It's sci fi anthology so you can forgive a certain amount but for me to invest in something, at some point it has to make some relatable sense. It's not even that the premise is bad, just badly presented.

It is well acted and shot, and creates a decent atmosphere but feck me you have to squint past some egregious shit.

Once again the episode lengths inflate and the substance diminishes. And so I come back to the same criticism: Rod Serling did it, better and much quicker.

The languid Prestige tv scene that BM courted is at odds with the tight, creative short story genre from which it was born.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Just watched Joan Is Awful. Possibly the silliest Black Mirror episode so far :lol:

I didn't hate it, but USS Callister did a much better job in terms of silly entertainment.

acnumber9

Why not just send the clones into space and leave the real guys on earth?
That was my first question. Incredibly sloppy writing to at least not try and explain why they wouldn’t do the one thing that would stop the whole thing from happening.

Zen

I think it's generally been easy viewing, but nothing really great or worth revisiting - though on the whole, much better than the last 2 batches. I'm just glad Joan Is Awful didn't do the EdTV ending, which I was almost certain it was going to do, yeah it mean it was a bit too meta, but better than giving me the ending I was expecting.... Beyond The Sea... yeah as above, might as well been an episode of LOST, nice done and all, but so many questions and holes... the others, reasonably solid. No wild swings, but on the flip side, no wild misses either.

But Black Mirrors the most subjective show in history... so I'm sure this safe as hell batch is going to be massive misses for some.

Red Rash

That was my first question. Incredibly sloppy writing to at least not try and explain why they wouldn’t do the one thing that would stop the whole thing from happening.
Yea that was the big plot hole for me too. When I first started watching the episode it was the first question I asked. In my opinion they could have easily explained it as

Not being able to send the replicas to space as they would need regular maintenance or else they could break

Overall I like the series so far (3 episodes in)

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
just finished watching Joan is awful. The concept was good but did anyone else find it incredibly cringy? The over the top swearing and dialogue at times was just bad. The concept was classic Black Mirror and the delivery was classic Netflix Americanised cringe.

AaronRedDevil

First 3 were great. Last 2 were meh. 2 and 3 were the best. At least it wasn't 3 eps like last season, that was so pointless. I hope they can keep making more BM episodes. It's unique and Netflix should keep it going.

Mockney

Yea that was the big plot hole for me too. When I first started watching the episode it was the first question I asked. In my opinion they could have easily explained it as

Not being able to send the replicas to space as they would need regular maintenance or else they could break
Especially as there’s already a relatively well known film about…

sending disposable copies of yourself into space that it might be worth distinguishing your thing from, as people are probably going to think about it…

It also doesn’t help that they explicitly go out of their way to point out they can’t make new ones without the real people…which just begs the question even more

So, yeah, put me down for one who didn’t like Beyond all that much. I like the actors, and they’re all good but it felt like it was really trying to be ‘the classy one’ and it didn’t land for me. Even the ending seemed more cynical than earned.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
3 episodes in, pretty good so far.

1 was silly, but still enjoyable. 2 was my favourite so far, and easily the most disturbing. 3 was well acted and shot, and I liked the plot despite various plot holes, but the ending felt obvious from very early on, and it took an awfully long time to unravel what felt inevitable. Aaron Paul was excellent though.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
The second episode was a lot better. Good even. But I'm not digging this fake self-deprecation from Netflix. As if they're not gonna keep profiting from cheap serial killer stuff.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Enjoyed episodes 1-3. Episode 4 was shite. Partway through 5 but it's been alright so far.

jm99

The second episode was a lot better. Good even. But I'm not digging this fake self-deprecation from Netflix. As if they're not gonna keep profiting from cheap serial killer stuff.
I don't think Netflix have much of a hand in the making of the show, they just fund and distribute it

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Only watched the Loch Ness one, but Podrick Payne nailed that old mate of yours who’s heart is in the right place but makes cringe comments on diversity etc

Donut

3 (7.5) > 2 (7) > 4/5 (6.5) > 1 (6)

None crack the top10 for me, although 3 comes close, and 1 was the worst for me even though it felt the most BM. All in all, better than previous season but nothing amazing. Still BM is something different and special and I hope they keep making them even if the gaps between the seasons have to be longer.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
3 and 2 were the best for me. 1 was great fun, not a classic but I enjoyed watching it.

4 felt very weak in terms of story and could've been more interesting. I think I'd rather watch the South Park Britney Spears episode.

5 was mid, interesting concept but doesn't do much of note with it.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Just finished the last 2, episode 4 was a very nothing story with an anti-climatic ending, and the far-fetched silliness was just so jarring. can't imagine I'll watch that one again.

Episode 5 had even more far-fetched silliness, but I thought it worked quite well. A little derivative of Death Note, but it was good. Gaap was a good character. It's just a shame that Needa didn't smash her work colleague's head in

1 great episode, 3 decent episodes, and 1 that was a bit of a miss is a pretty decent hit rate for Black Mirror.

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
Bit meh the whole season. Watching it hoping for it to do something, all the while never expecting anything. 5/10.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Joan is awful. Is this what people are like now? They start eternally shallow as feck, preening and glib and then descend. Or are these traits expressed via the characters as social commentary. I can't even tell anymore and couldn't relate one bit to anything.

It feels like Synecdoche New York if remade by Elon Musk and his boys. Everything feels like Elon Musk's imagination now. Empty, empty.

Shit.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I haven't seen the whole season yet so maybe they have, but I'm surprised there's never been a Black Mirror episode about the climate.

Might be too on the nose perhaps but an alternate world where people do everything to sun dodge could be a thing. Earth's population shifts to being active in the night, people go underground in the day, I dunno.

Last edited: