Television Black Mirror | Season 6 out June 15th

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Watched the first four of Season 3 so far...really liked San Junipero, the series has laboured the point of the ills of technology so much to the point where it was nice to see some potentially positive effects. Shut up and Dance was great too, didn't like Playtest but then that probably comes from not being a massive fan of horror in general.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
The Kitty app rating episode? How's that related to a hive mind pressure on the primer minister to feck a pig on TV in order to rescue a princess?
Oh I thought you were talking about the latest series on netflix.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I finished the season. I thought it a bit hit and miss. Few episodes justify the longer running time and the themes and presentation appear increasingly derivative. I felt like the storytelling was drowning in the shows sci-fi remit at times. Also it seems a bit much to expect one person to keep churning out fresh, high quality ideas.

Hated in the nation was very good, shut up and dance and the video game episode felt entirely redundant but were still watchable. The others were faintly irritating with the exception of Nosedive which was the really standout episode for me. Bryce Dallas Howard was really great; an excrutiating, touching performance that painfully conveys the tragedy of our antisocial media subjugation. Hideously beautiful. It's right up there with Be Right Back as the best episode in my view. With this and Jurassic Park BDH has surprisingly become a real favourite actor.

Not specifically Black Mirror, but why does everything have to be so long and laborious now; all limbs and outward flourishes.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Saw they put seasons 1 and 2 on netflix recently, so started watching those. That white bear episode is a bit fecked isn't it?

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Saw they put seasons 1 and 2 on netflix recently, so started watching those. That white bear episode is a bit fecked isn't it?
Yeah, very. It's a dark series at times but that was probably the most uncomfortable episode, by a fair bit too.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Binged this the other day, not sure how I hadn't watched it before. I'm not sure why in hindsight but I was initially surprised by the level of actor they were able to get for each episode.

My favourites are (and I can see already how much they vary from other lists in the thread):
The Entire History of You
The National Anthem
Hated in the Nation
San Junipero
Shut Up and Dance
Playtest
Be Right Back
Fifteen Million Merits
White Bear
White Christmas
The Waldo Moment
Nosedive
Men Against Fire

Moby

Dick
San Junipero was excellent. Loved Nosedive as well.

Waves Crashing on Distant Shores of Time from SJ is where the soundtrack of this show peaked.

Last edited:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Did anybody else find the show pretty hit and miss? When it hit, it hit: White Christmas, and San Junipero instantly come to mind. But then other times some episodes just feel fairly self-indulgent and juvenile.

Overall it was good quality TV, but I just found it a bit inconsistent.

iKnowNothing

Just finished season 2 of this show and I'm loving it so far. All the episodes until now have been excellent.

@DWelbz19 Not sure what you found inconsistent and/or juvenile and/or self-indulgent.

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"
Just finished season 2 of this show and I'm loving it so far. All the episodes until now have been excellent.

@DWelbz19 Not sure what you found inconsistent and/or juvenile and/or self-indulgent.
Talking just about the first two seasons there were two episodes (hundred million merits and waldo) that did absolutely nothing for me, so for me it was a bit inconsistent already. Got worse in the third one even though there was still great stuff.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
On the second episode of season 2 now, and it's pretty good so far. The last episode of season 1 was superb.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

S3 is probably where such criticism arises for me, personally. San Junipero aside I didn't really like S.3 much at all. Eh, Shut Up and Drive was okay, but the rest...

EDIT: But yeah, I think I agree a little with @Twins too. The Waldo Moment was a real low-point.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Just started watching it. I really enjoyed the first ep and nearly finished the second. Not as good but still strange enough to keep me interested. I'll watch them all this week.

djdhrubs

Just started watching it. I really enjoyed the first ep and nearly finished the second. Not as good but still strange enough to keep me interested. I'll watch them all this week.
Damn! Just read this post immediately after reading the season 4 update posts above yours and thought season 4 was out already!

Any idea when the next season is coming out, anyone?

Donut

Damn! Just read this post immediately after reading the season 4 update posts above yours and thought season 4 was out already!

Any idea when the next season is coming out, anyone?
Probably late 2018 or 2019. But it will be by Netflix and there will be more episodes (12?).

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Saw all three seasons. My favorites were:

The entire history of you
White Bear
Nose dive
Play test
Shut up and dance

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
I have watched most of them up to now, and really enjoying them. I like TV shows that make me think.
I also enjoy stuff like Colony but that is like a wank. I forget about it pretty soon after.
Black Mirror is like proper sex.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Excellent, I thought the last season was very good and I'm in need of some new episodes

Donut

Only 6? I thought they said there would be 12 or something like that? I suppose it was referring to the entire Netflix deal they made.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Only 6? I thought they said there would be 12 or something like that? I suppose it was referring to the entire Netflix deal they made.
They decided to split it into 2 lots of 6.

horsechoker

The Caf's Ezza.
Calling it now Metalhead will be a Tetsuo rip off.
I don't know whether it would be a rip off but Brooker is inspired by a lot of TV and film due to reviewing it for many years. The episode Fifteen Million Merits draws inspiration from the film Network wherein the main character has a breakdown on national television speaking his mind freely and then being turned into a TV star himself much like FMM. Brooker discussed the film in Screenwipe but I can't find the clip. Anyway it wouldn't be surprising if he drew inspiration and ideas from other films and shows as long as he presented them in a fresher context like FMM.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
The Phillip Dick anthology show with Cranston & Buscemi C4 bought to replace it is coming soon too. Looks like they'll be in direct competiton*. Interesting times for dystopic Sci Fi heads.

* @MikeUpNorth informs me that Amazon have the streaming rights to that. So it looks like we're ramping up for the first big Amazon vs Netflix head to head. Trailers out. Shots fired.

Last edited:

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I don't know whether it would be a rip off but Brooker is inspired by a lot of TV and film due to reviewing it for many years. The episode Fifteen Million Merits draws inspiration from the film Network wherein the main character has a breakdown on national television speaking his mind freely and then being turned into a TV star himself much like FMM. Brooker discussed the film in Screenwipe but I can't find the clip. Anyway it wouldn't be surprising if he drew inspiration and ideas from other films and shows as long as he presented them in a fresher context like FMM.
Interesting he already featured it. But actually I doubt it will be very similar, was just riffing on the name and stylistic choice. But if it does contain any sort of transhuman metamorphosis I'll claim my prize.

Dan

Netflix have been drip feeding these teaser trailers the last few days.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Is it expected out before Christmas?

Nickosaur

Heard a few of the trailers are a bit spoiler-y so will be ignoring them. Always think it's good to go into each episode 'fresh'.