g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Film Black Panther

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I think this movie is too hyped. Killmonger is a stereotypical villain the plot is Lion King meets James Bond and its put in the Marvel package. A standard 5-6/10 popcorn flick that looks really nice. Casting and design was very nice so that may have taken the attention away from the typical movie goer but watch it at home and falls short.

I had heard before a lot that you were supposed to sympathize with Killmonger and be conflicted about who you rooted for. How does that make sense? The villain was sociopathic who both loved and took pride in killing. Oh poor boy, you lost your dad because he was traitor to his country that really doesn't like that.

Looked very nice, not as entertaining as the recent Thor movie.
I think it got inflated with it being the first all black actors movie.

You really can't dish a movie like that in hollywood without people branding you as racist, not at the current climate.

Imagin a white critics claiming it to be meh. He'll be torn to shreds no matter how objective he puts it.

I do think thor ragnarok, wonder woman and all the superhero movies are overhyped. Theyre ok but wonder woman has no business getting all that praise gadot aside, its just meh.

Tbh i havent seen black panther, so i reserve my judment. It looks good by the review and all that but i doubt it's a masterpiece. Just a well entertaining movie well made.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It depreciates a lot on second viewing.
It also has one of the worst examples of racist stereotyping I have ever seen in a recent movie.

The fact that the first thought that went through the minds of the young black kids that saw his amazing spaceship thing right at the end of the film was to steal it, break it up and "sell it on Ebay", with the wonder and intrigue being entirely lost on them and them only having the desire to steal and destroy , probably not the message they were going for.

InfiniteBoredom

Guardians? Hulk? Can't really see how they were like Iron Man.
Guardians doesn't count since it's not a solo-origin film. Hulk = protagonist same power with bad guy = Iron Man.

You can probably exclude Homecoming as well, if we count it as the Spider origin film in MCU.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
I just watched it and thought it was so bad that I started doing other things about half way through the movie. I never usually do that but I just didn't care about any of the characters nor who would win in the end. Visually it had some really great moments and the first bad guy was great but the whole thing played out like reading a few bullet points filled in with pretty pictures in between. 2/10

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I think it got inflated with it being the first all black actors movie.

You really can't dish a movie like that in hollywood without people branding you as racist, not at the current climate.

Imagin a white critics claiming it to be meh. He'll be torn to shreds no matter how objective he puts it.

I do think thor ragnarok, wonder woman and all the superhero movies are overhyped. Theyre ok but wonder woman has no business getting all that praise gadot aside, its just meh.

Tbh i havent seen black panther, so i reserve my judment. It looks good by the review and all that but i doubt it's a masterpiece. Just a well entertaining movie well made.
I get that black people in the entertainment business will value it higher and it's also great in that it has a lot of people in notable roles that young black people aren't used to see on the big screen, I prefered the sister, the general and the spy/love interest to the king himself. The director did a good job, the movie is well made and it's especially good looking but in terms of story and excitement it's nothing new and that's what I'm mainly concerned with.

roseguy64

Wakanda as an advanced country is a total joke to be honest.

My point was strengthened in Infinity war when they were attacked... Come on man, a totally more advanced country doesn't have any specific fleet for defending their country. There was no Navy, Seal, no aircraft, no turrets, no standard border defensive system. They just take their melee weapons and....fight. Stupid as it is.

I face palmed with my friends, sure, nice war scene you got there mate.
They have aircraft and why would a land-locked country have a navy? Their border defense system is the Border Tribe and the shield around the capital. You're just not even paying attention.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Would such a technologically advanced nation really need to create a load of military firepower if barely anyone knows it even exists?

Sylar

I still liked kilmonger as a villain on second viewing
Whilst he was a bit extreme, the overall thing he wanted to achieve happened in a more goodguy way when wakanda was revealed to the rest of the world something tchalla wouldn't have done without facing him

meamth

Would such a technologically advanced nation really need to create a load of military firepower if barely anyone knows it even exists?
Right, the same technologically advanced country who shits on guns, saying guns are primitive. Oh my god thinking about that scene makes me cringe.

Then she proceed and throw her advanced spear to throw off a car. Idiot, idiot plot.

Well, yes at least a "technologically advanced country" should have super advanced defense mechanism that could piss on America's military power, at least. They could study the world, right?invincible, right?

What kind of country who incorporates traditional cultural symbol into their battle suits? Why are they wearing uncivilized battle suits that lacks any protection? Showing much skins, no helmets? Idiot writing.

If they can avoid SWAT's sniper ace, that would be a shyte bluff. Come on man, at least make it believable,

Well if America want to be advanced, they should make their soldiers wear cowboy hats, and leather jackets. Pfft, Black Panther has full body armored shields, their soldiers looks like tribal warriors. Idiot writing.

I can point out hundreds of shit things in Wakanda, but I just hope that you guys think about it yourself.

One more thing, a technologically advanced country that continuously using feudalism system to govern a country. They aren't so advanced are they? Didn't learn how primitive feudalism is in order for humans to be more advanced all over the world. If UK keep their feudalism, they should be the most advanced country in the world!

This stupid Wakanda, really pisses me off.

Snow

I still liked kilmonger as a villain on second viewing
Whilst he was a bit extreme, the overall thing he wanted to achieve happened in a more goodguy way when wakanda was revealed to the rest of the world something tchalla wouldn't have done without facing him
I thought that was well on its way anyway. Black Panther was always leaning that way and then shortly after becoming king became all conservative again and then found out about his father killing his uncle and so he became more liberal again but then Killmonger showed up at the same time.

Killmonger was as straight forward of a villain as there is. His name is Killmonger because he likes to kill and he's killed many people. The only thing he cared about was killing. A "master infiltrator" but the only thing he did was to betray Gollum and bring him to Wakanda, something he didn't even had to do. He could always have just walked in there and showed his lip tattoo.

What ended up happening was not at all what Killmonger wanted. Wakand shared their technology with the world. Killmonger wanted to become the world's dictator.

vangagal

Right, the same technologically advanced country who shits on guns, saying guns are primitive. Oh my god thinking about that scene makes me cringe.

Then she proceed and throw her advanced spear to throw off a car. Idiot, idiot plot.

Well, yes at least a "technologically advanced country" should have super advanced defense mechanism that could piss on America's military power, at least. They could study the world, right?invincible, right?

What kind of country who incorporates traditional cultural symbol into their battle suits? Why are they wearing uncivilized battle suits that lacks any protection? Showing much skins, no helmets? Idiot writing.

If they can avoid SWAT's sniper ace, that would be a shyte bluff. Come on man, at least make it believable,

Well if America want to be advanced, they should make their soldiers wear cowboy hats, and leather jackets. Pfft, Black Panther has full body armored shields, their soldiers looks like tribal warriors. Idiot writing.

I can point out hundreds of shit things in Wakanda, but I just hope that you guys think about it yourself.

One more thing, a technologically advanced country that continuously using feudalism system to govern a country. They aren't so advanced are they? Didn't learn how primitive feudalism is in order for humans to be more advanced all over the world. If UK keep their feudalism, they should be the most advanced country in the world!

:lol:

afrocentricity

Let me reiterate once again.... This, is a Disney Marvel Comic book movie. With super powers, flying suits, magic, other dimensions, etc....

And you're arguing about style of armour, weapons technology? Nerd outrage does my fecking head in. Anyway, just enjoy (or don't) the film....

Last edited:

villain

Hates Beyoncé

You sound really offended.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
I enjoyed it for the most part. Where did those purple flowers come from? On the asteroid?

meamth

That’s pretty sad, but ok.
It is sad, because Marvel can get away with anything they do. Fans just say things like you said "Oh it's fine, it's just a movie with lasers, raccoons and stuff"

When other studios have some plot holes, it become so obvious and critics hate it.

kthanksbye

Liked this better than the other Marvel offerings around it (Ragnarok and Infinity War), was a serious movie with some creative writing and good action, the story was predictable but then it's Marvel, they're always predictable.

Sylar

I thought that was well on its way anyway. Black Panther was always leaning that way and then shortly after becoming king became all conservative again and then found out about his father killing his uncle and so he became more liberal again but then Killmonger showed up at the same time.

Killmonger was as straight forward of a villain as there is. His name is Killmonger because he likes to kill and he's killed many people. The only thing he cared about was killing. A "master infiltrator" but the only thing he did was to betray Gollum and bring him to Wakanda, something he didn't even had to do. He could always have just walked in there and showed his lip tattoo.

What ended up happening was not at all what Killmonger wanted. Wakand shared their technology with the world. Killmonger wanted to become the world's dictator.
I know. Kilmonger wanted to take it to the extreme but the principal idea he had was that they have all the technology and are being selfish. At the end of the day he was still a villain. BP toned it down to a reasonable level by revealing Wakanda to the rest of the world and offering what they had.
Without KM im not sure if BP and moreso Wakanda is shown off as quickly as it was.

KM for me was somebody who wanted to go the opposite of how things currently are. It seemed he wanted to be the hero for black people who have suffered for so long. And violence was the only way he knew. Of course he like killing, im not disputing that.

IMO a good villain makes a superhero better. I think KM made BP better especially the way he saw things going forward.
Could he have just walked into Wakanda and shown his lip tattoo? iirc he needed Klaue to be able to get to the land (it wasnt just open to anybody at the time).

Regardless, im sure neither of us will take it that seriously or deeply as others on this page lol

villain

Hates Beyoncé
It is sad, because Marvel can get away with anything they do. Fans just say things like you said "Oh it's fine, it's just a movie with lasers, raccoons and stuff"

When other studios have some plot holes, it become so obvious and critics hate it.
The plot holes you're trying to infer have come about because you're conflating things that have happened in real life (such as feudalism) and trying to find flaws in the Marvel universe which is inherently designed to have multiple storylines, parallel universes, and an unlimited amount of ridiculous events that take place.

Just say you don't like the movie.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands

So is this worth watching then?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

Forget about americans, i think with enough casualty the mongol hordes can decimate them.

Snow

I know. Kilmonger wanted to take it to the extreme but the principal idea he had was that they have all the technology and are being selfish. At the end of the day he was still a villain. BP toned it down to a reasonable level by revealing Wakanda to the rest of the world and offering what they had.
Without KM im not sure if BP and moreso Wakanda is shown off as quickly as it was.

KM for me was somebody who wanted to go the opposite of how things currently are. It seemed he wanted to be the hero for black people who have suffered for so long. And violence was the only way he knew. Of course he like killing, im not disputing that.

IMO a good villain makes a superhero better. I think KM made BP better especially the way he saw things going forward.
Could he have just walked into Wakanda and shown his lip tattoo? iirc he needed Klaue to be able to get to the land (it wasnt just open to anybody at the time).

Regardless, im sure neither of us will take it that seriously or deeply as others on this page lol
His idea was to get revenge by overthrowing the King, take control himself and then take over the world. The talk about Wakand being selfish was just talk from him, not his real beliefs. He says it to divide the people but he didn't mean it.

The lip tattoo is proof that he's one of them. That's the only thing he needs. The fact that he killed Klaue and was brought in chains before the throne was just a written plot for dramatic effect and not the most logical step. I also don't get why there was another combat ritual so shortly after the first one. That should have settled it, he missed his chance. Very strange from a nation so set on rules and tradition.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
It looks like this may well end up making more than Infinity War in the US, which is not something I'd have predicted at the beginning of the year.

roseguy64

His idea was to get revenge by overthrowing the King, take control himself and then take over the world. The talk about Wakand being selfish was just talk from him, not his real beliefs. He says it to divide the people but he didn't mean it.

The lip tattoo is proof that he's one of them. That's the only thing he needs. The fact that he killed Klaue and was brought in chains before the throne was just a written plot for dramatic effect and not the most logical step. I also don't get why there was another combat ritual so shortly after the first one. That should have settled it, he missed his chance. Very strange from a nation so set on rules and tradition.
T'Challa was the one who accepted the challenge. He could've left it alone.

Snow

T'Challa was the one who accepted the challenge. He could've left it alone.
It's poor writing. They start the movie with this "movie wedding transition" where "if someone disagrees speak now" thing. One guy does and so there's a fight. Then what, 3 days later or something there's another challenge and that's just fine? Why isn't there a massive audience again like during the inauguration fight? You go to sleep as a citizen of Wakanda and the next day you wake up to the news of there being a new king? What kind of system is that? It's very contradictory to the rest of the movie where it's hammered into us how traditional and conservative the Wakanda people are. Would have made much more sense to copy Lion King even further and have Killmonger get rid of T'Chala "in secret". With T'Chala gone there would have to be a new proper inauguration and then he could have challenged the newly appointed leader properly like the gorilla man did and easily won the throne legitimately.

meamth

The plot holes you're trying to infer have come about because you're conflating things that have happened in real life (such as feudalism) and trying to find flaws in the Marvel universe which is inherently designed to have multiple storylines, parallel universes, and an unlimited amount of ridiculous events that take place.

Just say you don't like the movie.
I don't, and I'm a fan of superhero movies. This movie is just like another poor release of Supreme but everyone still buys it anyway.

Sylar

It's poor writing. They start the movie with this "movie wedding transition" where "if someone disagrees speak now" thing. One guy does and so there's a fight. Then what, 3 days later or something there's another challenge and that's just fine? Why isn't there a massive audience again like during the inauguration fight? You go to sleep as a citizen of Wakanda and the next day you wake up to the news of there being a new king? What kind of system is that? It's very contradictory to the rest of the movie where it's hammered into us how traditional and conservative the Wakanda people are. Would have made much more sense to copy Lion King even further and have Killmonger get rid of T'Chala "in secret". With T'Chala gone there would have to be a new proper inauguration and then he could have challenged the newly appointed leader properly like the gorilla man did and easily won the throne legitimately.

Sure the Wakanda people are set in their ways, but as youve already alluded to,TChala isnt, and thats why he accepts the challenge. He didnt need to and probably nobody else would have.
As you said: " Black Panther was always leaning that way and then shortly after becoming king became all conservative again and then found out about his father killing his uncle and so he became more liberal again but then Killmonger showed up at the same time."

You yourself said he was moving away from what was tradition / accepted in one thing.
So its not really a stretch he did the same for something else.

Snow

Sure the Wakanda people are set in their ways, but as youve already alluded to,TChala isnt, and thats why he accepts the challenge. He didnt need to and probably nobody else would have.
As you said: " Black Panther was always leaning that way and then shortly after becoming king became all conservative again and then found out about his father killing his uncle and so he became more liberal again but then Killmonger showed up at the same time."

You yourself said he was moving away from what was tradition / accepted in one thing.
So its not really a stretch he did the same for something else.
I also said that he went against his previous thoughts. As soon as he became king he went on as usual.

The whole ritual combat thing between them was stupid. He knew that KM was the one that was helping Klaue. That alone is treasonous. He had already tried to kill the king outside of combat. He almost kill the spygirl but sure, lets accept the challenge.

meamth

I also said that he went against his previous thoughts. As soon as he became king he went on as usual.

The whole ritual combat thing between them was stupid. He knew that KM was the one that was helping Klaue. That alone is treasonous. He had already tried to kill the king outside of combat. He almost kill the spygirl but sure, lets accept the challenge.
Because feudalism.

"I demand a trial by combat!"

*internal rage intensifies

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Having finally watched in Blu Ray quality, I have to say that this movie was extremely disappointing overall. A lot of hype and marketing for a rather boring movie.
They should never have killed off Kilmonger, the only good thing about the movie was his backstory and he was portrayed very well by Jordan.

meamth

Having finally watched in Blu Ray quality, I have to say that this movie was extremely disappointing overall. A lot of hype and marketing for a rather boring movie.
They should never have killed off Kilmonger, the only good thing about the movie was his backstory and he was portrayed very well by Jordan.
That's the main problem of the cinematic universe in general. They can't really store a villain because the question of "where is he, what is he doing?" will be asked a lot.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
That's the main problem of the cinematic universe in general. They can't really store a villain because the question of "where is he, what is he doing?" will be asked a lot.
I don't see it as much of an issue tbh as it's always easy to incorporate villains in other movies anyway.

afrocentricity

I still think this movie is good fun. What's next Cap Marvel?

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Meh, it was okayish. Ultimately forgettable flick, like so many other Marvel films. I liked the first half, more James Bond like one, more, along with the villain.