Film Black Panther

starman

Finally got around to watching and found it underwhelming. Guess i got caught up in the fanfare around it, just like Wonder Women, which interestingly are both in the 1 and 2 spots of the best superheros movies on rotten tomatoes.. Neither would make my 10 top

Shame they killed off MJB and Andy Serkis, for me, they were the best characters, along with Michonne

Sylar

Lads behind continually asking me and the three teenage girls next to me (but not with me) to "fecking move" because they wanted to put their feet up on the seats we were using, talking all the way through, shouting stuff in French and switching on their torches on their phones every five minutes, all while the woman in the front who had brought her one year old kid in a buggy was trying to stop it crying by getting an iPad out for it to play with. The people just in front kept taking pictures on their phones and people from near the baby kept trying to change seats to near us before realising how bad the people on the back row were and moving around again. Got a refund.
Damn, I would have blown up at that. Dunno if you kept calm or not, but I hate that shit.

reelworld

Great movie. Perhaps my favorite Marvel origin movie behind Iron Man. It's definitely better than Dr Strange. It's a cultural moment in the same breath as Star Wars IMO, and Black Panther is a much better movie than SW.
I gotta give shout out to Winston Duke, the guy who played M'Baku. A big fan of his performance in Person of Interest, really glad he got his debut in this movie!

villain

Hates Beyoncé
So having watched it a second time on a quiet Tuesday afternoon matinee, it's definitely better the second time viewing.

Caught more references and was able to just enjoy the movie organically - also I've seen a few more Marvel films since they are on Netflix/Sky on demand and it's definitely cemented my opinion that it's a top 10 Marvel flick, definitely my favourite origin film too.

Also; Okoye stole almost every scene that she was in - fantastic character.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Finally got around to watching and found it underwhelming. Guess i got caught up in the fanfare around it, just like Wonder Women, which interestingly are both in the 1 and 2 spots of the best superheros movies on rotten tomatoes.. Neither would make my 10 top

Shame they killed off MJB and Andy Serkis, for me, they were the best characters, along with Michonne
Damn, how did I not realise that was Michonne!

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Was Andy Serkis good? Not really. His character had no motivation other than being a wrong un and his saffa accent reminded me of the guy from season 2 of I'm Alan Partridge.

"No Alan! You can't!"

Moonred

Finally got around to watching and found it underwhelming. Guess i got caught up in the fanfare around it, just like Wonder Women, which interestingly are both in the 1 and 2 spots of the best superheros movies on rotten tomatoes.. Neither would make my 10
Agree. Two good movies. But there are so many better ones with quality writing or simply more entertaining.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I caught on to hype for this film fairly late and having seen it can definitely understand why that exists. On the other hand, I will only judge it for the movie it is as I am emotionally disconnected from all the influence is has for some people.

So, taking it for what it is, which is the only way judge a movie, I liked and enjoyed watching Black Panther. The acting/casting was right (not sure about the American though) and the story was fairly good and quite well told. The portrayal of the women was particularly excellent. Each of the women characters had their own strong imprint on the film and without that aspect the movie would have been pretty drab. They added more, IMO, than the cumulative contributions of he superhero and the villain, who in turn were also the right fit. The villain, without being great/very memorable, was a relatable character and didn't seem to be a villain for the sake of needing one. Also, the comedy bits were excellent.

On the flip side, the hype for the film has a great deal to do with the non film related factors and not so much to do with the actual film. It's nowhere near something like The Dark Knight which a masterpiece of this genre. Black Panther is a essentially a popcorn superhero film, but one of the better ones. I'd put in the category of GOTG/Deadpool as one of the few Superhero films I liked (other than Batman and the old Superman films).

Spoony

The People's President
Was Andy Serkis good? Not really. His character had no motivation other than being a wrong un and his saffa accent reminded me of the guy from season 2 of I'm Alan Partridge.

"No Alan! You can't!"

I thought his Cockney accent shone through wonderfully.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
The accents throughout the film were dodgy i'm sorry.

I read some commentary from the Director that Wakanda takes inspiration from South Africa and thus their accents should've been closer to that.

The Jabari sounded Nigerian/West African, T'Challa spoke kinda Nigerian, kinda Southern African - overall I felt his accent was the weakest overall.
Nakia & Okoye had the best accents which isn't that much of a surprise.

InfiniteBoredom

I wish they’d killed off Freeman. It’d have had more of an emotional impact on that final fight, but reckon they didn’t because a) its vanilla Disney and MCU and b) making the one with the biggest sacrifice the white character would probably be counterproductive to the overall narrative of the film.

The actress playing Okoye was excellent though, did a really good job despite her character being the archetypal one dimensional sidekick.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Didn't click until just now that Okoye is played by the same actress who plays Michonne in TWD, no wonder she looked so familiar.

decorativeed

Damn, I would have blown up at that. Dunno if you kept calm or not, but I hate that shit.
I normally do, but find myself regretting the aggression more than if I just try to keep a lid on it. I get in far too many arguments with strangers on the tram for example.

Also, I could tell that pissing people off was the goal for these twats and didn't want to give them the satisfaction.

Last edited:

buchansleftleg

I wish they’d killed off Freeman. It’d have had more of an emotional impact on that final fight, but reckon they didn’t because a) its vanilla Disney and MCU and b) making the one with the biggest sacrifice the white character would probably be counterproductive to the overall narrative of the film.

The actress playing Okoye was excellent though, did a really good job despite her character being the archetypal one dimensional sidekick.
It would make a change for the token character of different ethnicity to die wouldn't it ;-)

i thought that was where we were going with Freeman's character but maybe because he was not just about to get married he survived.

buchansleftleg

You've said it again!
I once had to go with a colleague to do some client training and one of the important managers was South African with a very strong accent

Needless to say I deliberately kept trying to engineer situations where he had to say "no you can't" to wind my colleague up.

After about an hour of this he had to make an excuse and go to the loo as tears of laughter were streaming down his face and he was struggling to cover this up.

decorativeed

I once had to go with a colleague to do some client training and one of the important managers was South African with a very strong accent

Needless to say I deliberately kept trying to engineer situations where he had to say "no you can't" to wind my colleague up.

After about an hour of this he had to make an excuse and go to the loo as tears of laughter were streaming down his face and he was struggling to cover this up.
Needles to say, you we're a bit disrespectful to this guy, but let’s call the whole thing a thoroughly nice chap, and doesn’t matter what race he is.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

"No Alan! You can't!"
As a person who's been to South Africa about 15 times, has South African parents, and is married to a South African... I thought Serkis' Afrikaner accent was really really good (the wife thought so too).

She was less keen on T'Challa's accent, but yeah, Serkis' was pretty convincing (we thought at least)

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
As a person who's been to South Africa about 15 times, has South African parents, and is married to a South African... I thought Serkis' Afrikaner accent was really really good (the wife thought so too).

She was less keen on T'Challa's accent, but yeah, Serkis' was pretty convincing (we thought at least)
Yeah but have you seen Alan Partridge?

Agreed on the second part. His Wakandan was way off.

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"
Honestly, ‘da powa of deh blak pantha will now be stripppd aweh’
:lol:

The accents were wild and all over the place.
I haven't seen the movie, however I can't help imagine that line coming from Arnold Schwarzenegger. Followed by get to the choppa!

Cloud7

Finally got to see it today, and found it a very good movie. Definitely in my top 6 or so Marvel Movies. Beautiful visuals, well timed humor, solid plot and an interesting villain who was much more than a generic bad guy.

This was definitely a great movie in its own right, far more for all the cultural positives as well.

DM07

Don't know why everyone is so keen on killing off Freeman's character. I personally can't wait for the Cumberbatch-Freeman reunion in the infinity war movies :drool:

Acole9

Outstanding
I went to see it this morning, really enjoyed it. I've seen a lot of Marvel films but I wouldn't say this is any better than some of the other ones I've seen. Most of them are on an even keel really.

I thought Andy Serkis was fantastic in it, shame he was killed off but it made sense to do so. I don't get some of the comments I've seen about the accents, the only one I found questionable was Martin Freeman's dodgy American accent, which he seemed to give up on later in the film.

If they're planning to make more films (There's normally always a sequel) I can't really see where they would go and make a story line but it will be interesting to see.

Hephaestus

Apparently T'Challa's accent is supposed to be kind of a mix of a few different accents from across Africa cos they wanted Wakandans to have a distinct accent that still sounded appropriate for the region.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Serkis has an odd head, and interesting face...he's great at over-acting too and kind of watchable doing that. Has he done anything where he's subdued and acts?

Seveneric

In terms of creating and adapting a universe from the comics, it's one of the best comic book movies across either comicbook studios without a doubt imo. It's not that original story wise. But then not everything has to be some bleak, grayscale, pretentious, 'gritty' film with slo-mo action scenes that begs to be seen as 'mature' because it doesn't have comedic elements.

Only downside was the pacing and final act. The final Black Panther v Killmonger battle on the vibranium tracks bordered on boring/amateurish and that's before you even notice the CGI issues :lol: Thankfully, there was a more interesting battle with the pro Killmonger v. anti Killmonger people happening outside which made up for it.

I also don't get the praise for Serkis' character. Maniacal villain that throws in funny quips, amazing.

Loublaze

ATLien
I went to see it this morning, really enjoyed it. I've seen a lot of Marvel films but I wouldn't say this is any better than some of the other ones I've seen. Most of them are on an even keel really.

I thought Andy Serkis was fantastic in it, shame he was killed off but it made sense to do so. I don't get some of the comments I've seen about the accents, the only one I found questionable was Martin Freeman's dodgy American accent, which he seemed to give up on later in the film.

If they're planning to make more films (There's normally always a sequel) I can't really see where they would go and make a story line but it will be interesting to see.
Interesting point. A lot of people I talk to seem to think Brits and Irishmen do American accents better than Americans do Brit accents. I don't think this is true for the most part as a lot of Brit actors are not very convincing to me, and way more Brits in the business need to learn American accents than the other way round. Clive Owen, Colin Farell, Gerald Butler, Colin Firth, Liam Neeson, Michael Caine and Jason Statham for instance are terrible at American accents. Andrew Howard is terrible too, these guys just act out their native accents 99% of the time

Last edited:

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Interesting point. A lot of people I talk to seem to think Brits and Irishmen do American accents better than Americans do Brit accents. I don't think this is true for the most part as a lot of Brit actors are not very convincing to me, and way more Brits in the business need to learn American accents than the other way round. Clive Owen, Colin Farell, Gerald Butler, Colin Firth, Liam Neeson, Michael Caine and Jason Statham for instance are terrible at American accents. Andrew Howard is terrible too, these guys just act out their native accents 99% of the time
To be fair that's a small sample size and most of them aren't particularly good actors full stop. Genuine question, which American actors do you recall having pulled off an English accent well?

Loublaze

ATLien
To be fair that's a small sample size and most of them aren't particularly good actors full stop. Genuine question, which American actors do you recall having pulled off an English accent well?
There's more, those are just at the top of my head. Most Brit actors think they can get away with half assed generic newscaster accents. I can tell all the time even when I don't recognize the actors that they're probably not American. Even that Maggie chick on the Walking dead does a terrible Georgia accent. There's not nearly enough a large sample size of American actors doing Brit accents against Brit actors doing American accents. To answer your question though, Americans suck at British accents but my gripe is with people assuming Brit actors do better at our accents. Anthony Hopkins is amazing at American accents and Hugh Laurie is decent.

Last edited:

reelworld

It's a small pool, but Robert Downey Jr is decent in Sherlock Holmes movies. The actors who played the butler in The Nanny sitcom is American. The late John Hillerman (Magnum P.I) was Texan

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The best for me is Idriss Elba, when I first learned that he wasn't american I was stunned.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
The accents throughout the film were dodgy i'm sorry.

I read some commentary from the Director that Wakanda takes inspiration from South Africa and thus their accents should've been closer to that.

The Jabari sounded Nigerian/West African, T'Challa spoke kinda Nigerian, kinda Southern African - overall I felt his accent was the weakest overall.
Nakia & Okoye had the best accents which isn't that much of a surprise.
I actually like that they didn't try to standardise an accent. I'd wager that it was a decision from Coogler. If they don't all sound like they're from Southern Africa they all sound soft.

It wouldn't have taken much to tell the cast to arrive at a middling accent that they all met on.

As it was, they all had a softened accent albeit in different varieties. Considering it's set in a fictional somewhat isolated region of Africa it's kind of beyond critique.