Television Black Widow

Sylar

It's probably the same reason why Domino's, Pizza Hut and Papa John's charge double or sometimes triple the cost of a normal takeaway pizza. Because people will pay it.

I really wish we could have a hive mind when it came to shit like this. This shouldn't become the norm.
Yep, this, football tickets, any thing

el3mel

Would you rather

Scarlett as Black Widow or Gadot as WW
Gadot is a bang average actress. She just got the role thanks to her look being close to Wonder Woman from the comics.

Jericholyte2

Watched it last night, was very 'meh' for me and, to be frank, I'd put it near Iron Man 2 and The Dark World. As a general action film I'd say it's above average, but within the MCU I found it really lacked any kind of raison d'être.

I'll spoiler some specific thoughts on it...

- Firstly, I tend the view the MCU as the most expensive, elaborate, TV series. With this in mind, whenever a TV series does an episode about a character that is now dead, it's usually to either (a) offer some detailed, game changing background on the character or (b) offer previously unknown info about the character that changes the way we view their actions in a particular scenario. With this in mind I had expectations that we were going to find something deep about the character, potentially she was dying for example frm something that happened in this film which was why she willingly sacrificed herself rather than letting Clint die.

- Secondly, as we knew she survived everything that happened, because of my point above there were no physical stakes in the movie. Firstly we have the car chase scene where they're in a car that explodes, then another that gets flung in to the subway, and these regular humans walk away from it. Then in the final she essentially, barring some slowed down falling with the parachute, free-falls tens of thousands of feet! Part of me now starts to think, "Well how come the fall in Endgame killed her?"

- Third, the family didn't die. So there's no existential or physical risk to Black Widow, so I expected her family to die, a bit like the Rogue One characters. But no, they all survive too! But later in IW & Endgame she still acts as though the Avengers are her only family. I really didn't get it.

- Fourth, as much as I enjoy Ray Winstone chewing up the scenery, the organisation had no weight for me. They haven't been reference other than in passing, and looks like they're all destroyed by the end of the film. Again, just seemed like a very 'light' villain.

Ultimately, I walked out wondering how the MCU was developed by that film existing and, apart from what looks to the the TV show for Hawkeye, this had no real purpose to exist.

Last edited:

Andersons Dietician

I really enjoyed it. Got questions about the cut scene

So is Florence Pugh going to be rocking up on the new Hawk eye show that is coming out? I feel like she is probably an actress in quite high demand. Would quite like to see her in more Marvel stuff

mu4c_20le

It was alright. David Harbour was excellent, as always. Florence was obviously very easy on the eyes but I found her accent a bit distracting, like in the second Avengers movie where Maximoff and her brother laid it on way too thick.

Hamnat

Watched it last night, was very 'meh' for me and, to be frank, I'd put it near Iron Man 2 and The Dark World. As a general action film I'd say it's above average, but within the MCU I found it really lacked any kind of raison d'être.

I'll spoiler some specific thoughts on it...

- Firstly, I tend the view the MCU as the most expensive, elaborate, TV series. With this in mind, whenever a TV series does an episode about a character that is now dead, it's usually to either (a) offer some detailed, game changing background on the character or (b) offer previously unknown info about the character that changes the way we view their actions in a particular scenario. With this in mind I had expectations that we were going to find something deep about the character, potentially she was dying for example frm something that happened in this film which was why she willingly sacrificed herself rather than letting Clint die.

- Secondly, as we knew she survived everything that happened, because of my point above there were no physical stakes in the movie. Firstly we have the car chase scene where they're in a car that explodes, then another that gets flung in to the subway, and these regular humans walk away from it. Then in the final she essentially, barring some slowed down falling with the parachute, free-falls tens of thousands of feet! Part of me now starts to think, "Well how come the fall in Endgame killed her?"

- Third, the family didn't die. So there's no existential or physical risk to Black Widow, so I expected her family to die, a bit like the Rogue One characters. But no, they all survive too! But later in IW & Endgame she still acts as though the Avengers are her only family. I really didn't get it.

- Fourth, as much as I enjoy Ray Winstone chewing up the scenery, the organisation had no weight for me. They haven't been reference other than in passing, and looks like they're all destroyed by the end of the film. Again, just seemed like a very 'light' villain.

Ultimately, I walked out wondering how the MCU was developed by that film existing and, apart from what looks to the the TV show for Hawkeye, this had no real purpose to exist.
I liked it better than you did I guess. But, some of your points I agree with. Taskmaster was not handled properly here imo. The backstory was totally weak. I don't mind changing the character from the comics like they did to be more "cinematic" that would be fine. But, it didn't add any depth or make the character more compelling. Some cool little stunts but, overall wasted potential here.

To me some of the action was it over the top in terms of "human characters surviving" ridiculous damage. I mean sure. But, I can deal with that in terms of other action movies James Bonds, Bourne's , Mission Impossible etc all have the main character probably should be shot more burned in all their explosions etc. John Wick etc. We forgive that type stuff to see some cool fights and explosions so I give that part passes here too.

choccy77

I really enjoyed it. Got questions about the cut scene

So is Florence Pugh going to be rocking up on the new Hawk eye show that is coming out? I feel like she is probably an actress in quite high demand. Would quite like to see her in more Marvel stuff
The movie is a setup for Hawkeye series so yes she is

0le

I have to say, paying £20 on top of £8 per month just to watch it on Disney+ is extortionate. I have no issue with how people spend their own money, each to their own. My gripe is with Disney here. A typical cinema ticket can cost anywhere between £5 to £15 depending on what day you attend and your location, so £28 is a joke.

dinostar77

Paid £5 to watch in Odeon. Its a average movie lower down in the marvel movie ranking. Personally i think it could have been done better as posters above have said.

What grated with me the most
was the lack of consequences for all the injuries she sustained. Doesn't matter shes an avenger shes human so can get hurt. So bloody show that. Have her limping, coughing up blood, broken fingers whatever.

choccy77

I have to say, paying £20 on top of £8 per month just to watch it on Disney+ is extortionate. I have no issue with how people spend their own money, each to their own. My gripe is with Disney here. A typical cinema ticket can cost anywhere between £5 to £15 depending on what day you attend and your location, so £28 is a joke.
But you also get to own and watch the movie as many times as you like until it's free in October.

It's fair value, especially when the average house hold is between 3 and 5 people.

Last edited:

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I haven't bought a snack or drink in a chain cinema ever. In the little boutique cinema that I'm hoping manages to survive lockdown, yeah, I'll get a beer or two. But I'm not the type of person who gets a stinking pile of nachos and a £4 pop at the multiplex - I can go a couple of hours without that. From what I can see, most other people seem to do the same and the people with overpriced snacks are in the minority. So yeah, a trip to the cinema normally costs me a fiver. Maybe it's just us northerners being stereotypically tight?

Edit: Also, the £30 digital download doesn't come with drinks and popcorn anyway, so it seems a bad comparison. I'd be happy to pay £10-15 for a household - we've paid similar to stream live comedy shows throughout lockdown - but £30 is excessive and will lead to many people illegally downloading it.
When I used to go often about a decade ago we'd go two for one one tuesday (or wednesday) so me and my housemates would get in pretty cheap, and on top of that we'd bring bags full of cheap candy and drinks and shit. Can't remember the exact price but for the four of us it was feck all.

Same as you when I'd go to the Aberystwyth cinema back West I'd buy drinks and food from them because they're independent, and in an area where there is feck all to do, so I want it to keep going (I'm not sure my hot dogs and cobras made a massive difference :lol: )

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
It’s half quite an enjoyable film with some fun performances from Pugh & Harbour, and then it’s suddenly half a completely ridiculous film about flying evil lairs, robot daughters and Ray Winstone being too smelly to kill.

Last edited:

JohnZSmith27

It wasn't bad. The first half was better than the second. David Harbour and Florence Pugh were great.

The film was unnecessary though. Should have been made years ago if anything. Doesn't seem like there's much point to it coming out now other than to introduce Florence Pughs character into the MCU for future films maybe.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
It was €21 in Ireland would have assumed £15 in uk?

Anyway your 8 quid monthly sub is nothing to do with the movie, that’s purely for the rest of the service

The price is what it is, I take my son to every marvel movie in normal times and tickets, popcorn and drink for the two of us costs considerably more than €21 so I felt fine paying it

For what it’s worth I didn’t think the movie was particularly good. My least favourite since Dr Strange

bucky

It’s half quite an enjoyable film with some fun performances from Pugh & Harbour, and then it’s suddenly half a completely ridiculous film about flying evil lairs, robot daughters and Ray Winstone being too smelly to kill.
Yeah, for the second half I kept thinking, less is more. Bit of a shame, this could have been much better. It also might be the laziest Marvel movie regarding the antagonist.

Fingeredmouse

Really decent first half (it reminded me of The Winter Soldier somewhat) followed by un utterly risible tidal wave of nonsense and schmaltz in the second half.

Golden Nugget

Agree with what some have said - good build up in the first half followed by a weak second half, and I’ll add finished with a horrid ending.

Robertd0803

Totally pointless movie. We didnt really need her back story, sometimes its better just leaving things hinted at.

Wont be in a rush to rewatch anytime soon.

dinostar77

Lets face it, the entire movie was a launchig pad for the Hawkeye show on disney.

Agreed that black widow didnt need a backstory film and if she did it needed to be a 15 cert, dark and serious. Imho.

RORY65

Totally pointless movie. We didnt really need her back story, sometimes its better just leaving things hinted at.

Wont be in a rush to rewatch anytime soon.
It's a correction for the fact that they fecked up by not giving her a stand-alone movie earlier, the MCU had been going for a decade before any of their movies were led by a female character and then Captain Marvel wasn't very good and related to a character with whom the audience had no previous relationship.

It definitely takes away from it that we know that Black Widow is dead and a lot of the second half of the movie feels like it's setting up Florence Pugh (who is excellent as always in this) for a big role going forward as well as setting up future movies and TV shows, which is a shame because the first half of this movie was really promising.

dinostar77

The trailers for Shung-Chi (might have spelt that wrong) and The Eternals didnt really impress. Looking forward to new Doc Strange, Spiderman and GoTG movies in phase 4. The newer stuff at the moment im not too sure about.

Not sure how you possibly top or get close to infinity gaunlet storyline.

Drifter

American
If they end up the way I think they are going, it will comfortably surpass the gauntlet story.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Think this will be boring. I like most Marvel movies (Thor 3 being my favorite) but I can't see Johansson carrying a film.
Really? Tony award winning, BAFTA owning, double academy award nominated, multiple time Golden Globe award contending Scarlett Johansson? That one? She’s an incredible acrtress.

The film is brilliant and she’s phenomenal in it. Her best outing as Black Widow, a return of the edgier turn from Winter Soldier. It’s a solid movie.

dinostar77

Where do you think they are going?
I'm curious as to how rebooted Blade, Fantastic Four and X-Men fit into phase 5 & 6.

There will be alot of attention when the new wolverine is announced and who plays him.

Last edited:

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
This movie served no purpose except as fan service to Black Widow fans, correcting the notion that she was done an injustice by not having a solo outing in the first four phases. Gave us nothing game changing or revelatory, and was a Sunday afternoon, fall asleep in front of the TV, type blockbuster.