Blaming Woodward and all those above Ole

always_hoping

For as long as Woodward has the fate of the club in his hands United will keep on failing. He's out of his depth, clueless, he simply doesn't understand football. He would be sacked from his position ages ago if at the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool, City and even Tottenham.

With no midfield or striker signings made in the summer he told the shareholders that he expected United to finish top 4 this season. Its about time Woodward tells shareholders that he steps down from his role! Getting in a replacement, someone competent to appoint the next manager and deal in transfers plus player contracts will be one giant leap forward for the club.

Under the watch of Woodward and his decision making of the last 7 years United have become the English answer to AC Milan. Who like United were a successful giant in World football but nowadays are such a poorly run club and have got into a habit of changing managers looking for a quick fix while not getting to the root of their problems.

RUCK4444

Get a grip

Ed is the ever present, self appointed, inexperienced DOF at one of the biggest clubs in the world.

He has been responsible for identifying and hiring three failed managers (four if you are counting Ole), and then backing them to the tune of 1 Billion.

Read that last sentence again because in a nutshell that is the epitome of failure, made worse by it being a self appointed responsibility instead of hiring a DOF well before now.

Furthermore if he had accepted his limitations and hired a DOF the continuity of our recruitment would have been far better over the course of these failed managers, leaving every new managerial appointment a better chance of success.

I can’t tell you how much money he’s made United in that period but I’m willing to bet the £1 Billion wipes that out entirely.

You can argue that Ole isn’t the man for the job but placing the blame for the above on each new budding managers shoulders without giving them multiple windows to correct it is simply naive in the extreme.

Ed coined the Disneyland term for our spending approach. This and his woeful spending has meant selling clubs hike prices hugely when we enquire about players further weakening our position as a club to correct his mess.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
A top quality manager will get us to at least 6 place but he won't be able to win us the EPL all by himself. That requires a CEO who understand football and who doesn't find more then 3 signings per year, extremely hard to make.

Lemansky

How much money has the club spent since SAF left? Imagine using that amount of money and now playing Andreas every week. That’s gross mismanagement. Backing the manager is such an outdated term. We need to have a philosophy of play style and players regardless of who the manager is. DOF is a necessity imo.

Nickelodeon

We’re one of the most poorly run clubs in Europe. Case in point in chronological order:

Fergie wanted to sell a past-it Rooney
Moyes gives Rooney a 5-year contract
LVG makes Rooney captain
Nani given a 5-year deal
LVG comes and bins Nani for next to nothing
LVG also sells Chicharito, Rafael and Di Maria (who he also bought) and is sacked in less than a year
Jose given new contract in 2018. Not backed in the market and sacked.
Mata, Jones and Smalling given new deals in 2019. None of them feature for us regularly while Smalling is told to feck off literally to anyone who’ll pick him.
Herrera, a decent squad option, is let go for nothing
Fellaini is let go for next to nothing with no replacements coming in
After millions spent in the transfer market, we have our worst ever PL squad

After years of poor transfer dealings where Ed is the common denominator, he should realise that neither he nor any of our managers are able to take sound, practical decisions keeping the long term health of the club in check. Nor is he ever seeking out managers, who will do well with at least majority of the current squad and instead sanctions clearout after clearout. Finally, he still hasn’t appointed any consistent DoF who can secure players which are going to be a part of the future of the club regardless of the managers.

So yeah, I blame Ed and consider him the biggest perpetrator of our current predicament.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
At least with benefit of hindsight Woodward should be blamed too. Make no mistake, the coaches we hired were all wrong ones and the way they set up the team was just wrong. We didn't look like a 11 players playing as a team since SAF retired, always looked like individuals who are playing for the first time (except very few games), so all the blame on that is surely on the managers and coaching staff.

Apart from that Woodward should have improved the recruitment adding more experts instead of relying on his failed buddies. He said it's hard to complete 3 deals in a summer and we have DoF at other clubs who had no problem completing 6-10 deals in a summer. That's why we should have dedicated individual who plans the recruitment and with proven track record. Woodward believes the system he is following is working fine, so obviously Woodward should be blamed for wasting so much money on transfers.

Instead of pointing fingers at Individuals I would say coaching staff + Recruitment staff have failed in last 6-7 years.

Ban

Didn't Ed say signing 3 players in one window is extremely difficult?
Isnt he the guy who gives those funny leaks every time theres trouble in the club, including us getting a DOF?
Isn't he the guy who decides on football things while not having a clue about it?
Does he give enormous wages to ordinary players, pays too much money on transfers and dithers in the market?
Isn't he on his 4th manager?

That's just some things, not all.
I for one don't doubt at all that he'll mess up Ole thing too one way or the other.

In the summer people said club works on one transfers at a time and I laughed at that. You know what, that doesn't sound so funny now, it sounds realistic.

Clubs are signing players left, right and center, we barely sign 3 and release 2 forwards near and after the end of the transfer window. I dont think Ole wanted that. If he did that's his fault of course but I dont think he's that deluded. Maybe I'd think he is if Ed didn't say getting 3 players is difficult. The more I repeat that to myself if sounds more and more ridiculous. He's taking all of us for a ride.

Club is in a horrible place, it's messy all around to say the least and he cares much of the blame, together with Glazers of course.

Ole has to go sadly but it's easy to blame him and past managers for e erything.

Last edited:

Ban

I've had enough of people shoving all the blame on Ed Woodward and defending Ole with this whole "until Woodward resigns". Complete nonsense. I'm not here to say Woodward has done a great or even good job but it is nowhere near the incompetency Ole has shown.

Woodward backed every LVG transfer till the end. Backed Mourinho with all sorts of players he wanted that turned out to be garbage. Mourinho was not backed for one season because of his failed transfer record. Yes Woodward made a mistake giving Mourinho that long contract and I said it back then as well but at the time it did make sense.

Now he has made (in hindsight) the mistake of appointing Ole but put yourself in Woodwards shoes. Imagine not giving Ole the contract back then and getting another manager in who may also have failed. We would have slaughtered Woodward for "what could have been" with how Ole was winning every game. Still, Woodward does take some blame for not giving him a shorter contract or waiting till the end of the season.

When it comes to summer 2019 transfers I simply do not understand how Ed Woodward is getting the blame. Time and time again, press conference after press conference Ole has shown his naive approach when it comes to judging players. Ole truly believed we would be fine going in this season with youth like Greenwood and Perreira. Okay, Wan Bissaka Maguire and James are good transfers but they cost a fortune -- any of us could have known Wan Bissaka or Maguire would be good fits. A top manager would (such as Poch) would find a low price bargain. Someone like a Soyuncu.

Ole chose to let Fellaini and Lukaku go and replace them with youngsters from the academy. If Ole identified targets such as Dybala, Bale and/or Modric and the board failed to get them that is not the boards fault. Identifying world class players can be done by any of us on here. The manager failing to identify realistic targets is another blunder on his part.

Furthermore, Woodward is not to blame for Ole playing Perreira on the wings, Mata on the right and back three's when we don't need it.

Yeah feck Woodward but Ole's failure has nothing to do with him. We can be a very successful club even with a shitty board.
Which clubs are successful but have a shitty board?

fps

I've had enough of people shoving all the blame on Ed Woodward and defending Ole with this whole "until Woodward resigns". Complete nonsense. I'm not here to say Woodward has done a great or even good job but it is nowhere near the incompetency Ole has shown.

Woodward backed every LVG transfer till the end. Backed Mourinho with all sorts of players he wanted that turned out to be garbage. Mourinho was not backed for one season because of his failed transfer record. Yes Woodward made a mistake giving Mourinho that long contract and I said it back then as well but at the time it did make sense.

Now he has made (in hindsight) the mistake of appointing Ole but put yourself in Woodwards shoes. Imagine not giving Ole the contract back then and getting another manager in who may also have failed. We would have slaughtered Woodward for "what could have been" with how Ole was winning every game. Still, Woodward does take some blame for not giving him a shorter contract or waiting till the end of the season.

When it comes to summer 2019 transfers I simply do not understand how Ed Woodward is getting the blame. Time and time again, press conference after press conference Ole has shown his naive approach when it comes to judging players. Ole truly believed we would be fine going in this season with youth like Greenwood and Perreira. Okay, Wan Bissaka Maguire and James are good transfers but they cost a fortune -- any of us could have known Wan Bissaka or Maguire would be good fits. A top manager would (such as Poch) would find a low price bargain. Someone like a Soyuncu.

Ole chose to let Fellaini and Lukaku go and replace them with youngsters from the academy. If Ole identified targets such as Dybala, Bale and/or Modric and the board failed to get them that is not the boards fault. Identifying world class players can be done by any of us on here. The manager failing to identify realistic targets is another blunder on his part.

Furthermore, Woodward is not to blame for Ole playing Perreira on the wings, Mata on the right and back three's when we don't need it.

Yeah feck Woodward but Ole's failure has nothing to do with him. We can be a very successful club even with a shitty board.
You need to understand that press conferences are media obligations in which a manager is purely trying to send signals to the media, and not at all saying what they truly think about players or situations.

Irrational.

Spot on. It's easier to blame Woodward than a club legend in Ole. Though fans should learn to differentiate between Ole the football player and Ole the floundering manager.

Ban

Spot on. It's easier to blame Woodward than a club legend in Ole. Though fans should learn to differentiate between Ole the football player and Ole the floundering manager.
So all we have to do is to appoint a better manager and we'll get flying?

RUCK4444

This is what they believe, they should check Einstein's theory of insanity.

Allegri, Poch, Pep, whoever, all struggle with this threadbare squad, maybe not quite as much as Ole has this season but struggle nonetheless.

I mean name a manager who gets this United squad into the top four? Surely top four is what people are judging Ole on (it's not solely style of play blah blah, ultimately top four is what most will judge this season on) so let's have it then, who get's this team into the top four?

Irrational.

We'll certainly be doing better than we are doing now. In fact, appoint any manager in the top ten and we'd probably do better.

Ole is not a top level manager worthy of United and never was.

Ban

We'll certainly be doing better than we are doing now. In fact, appoint any manager in the top ten and we'd probably do better.

Ole is not a top level manager worthy of United and never was.
I wish if it was that simple. Just doing better than now. Do you think club can function like this in the long run?
We get rid of Ole, appoint a new manager, things get better but then after a while same problems appear again.
On to the new manager again. Rinse and repeat.

Irrational.

I wish if it was that simple. Just doing better than now. Do you think club can function like this in the long run?
We get rid of Ole, appoint a new manager, things get better but then after a while same problems appear again.
On to the new manager again. Rinse and repeat.
Unfortunately the days of managerial longevity are long gone. How many managers can you say have been in their current job more than five years? It's the way football works thesedays unfortunately. It's a results-driven business. Our manager currently is a big part of the problem - he is simply too inexperienced and not good enough.

Ban

Unfortunately the days of managerial longevity are long gone. How many managers can you say have been in their current job more than five years? It's the way football works thesedays unfortunately. It's a results-driven business. Our manager currently is a big part of the problem - he is simply too inexperienced and not good enough.
I don't expect a manager longevity. I expect the club to go with modern times finally. Just appointing a manager won't solve that.
What will we expect from him? Top 4, title? Will the club and Ed give him resources and the means to achieve that? How will the new manager be able to work with Ed, scout system which seems to be lousy. No manager decides alone on transfer nor it should be but at United he'll have to and then he'll gave Ed vetoing deals if he feels like it or changes approach all of a sudden. Scatter gun policy will probably just continue.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
A top quality manager will get us to at least 6 place but he won't be able to win us the EPL all by himself. That requires a CEO who understand football and who doesn't find more then 3 signings per year, extremely hard to make.
3 signings are fine if the right calibre of player is targeted across Europe. If we bought 2 quality midfielders last summer instead of Maguire and Wan Bissaka and kept Smalling, we would be in a much stronger position right now.

Bojan11

3 signings are fine if the right calibre of player is targeted across Europe. If we bought 2 quality midfielders last summer instead of Maguire and Wan Bissaka and kept Smalling, we would be in a much stronger position right now.
And who would be playing right back?

Do you think Madrid struggle to make more than 3 signings?

oz insomniac

So in essence the best supported and possibly largest club in the world is owned by shopping centre magnates, run by an accountant, and for better or worse managed by a failed EPL yet somewhat successful Norwegian club manager, and people are asking what has gone wrong.

If you want an indication how far the clubs profile has fallen, in Sydney overnight sports results used to be led by Man Utd and the score, the last few weeks they are not even reported, we get in the sports results Arsenal lost or Man City beat someone one, no comment about United.

Until Teflon Ed is moved on and negotiations for transfers are handled more than one at a time, and the genius that is Ed signs players for positions of need, for instance centre midfield and that player is actually one of the best available, we will wallow at the mid or bottom half of the table. He has managed to recruit and extend players to shape the worse team in most people's memory and the lack of tactics and shape is soul destroying. What a ride !!

Adnan

Talent Spotter
And who would be playing right back?

Do you think Madrid struggle to make more than 3 signings?
Young, Dalot and Ethan Laird would've been the options at RB. And the extra quality in midfield with the the two additional midfield signings would've improved the defence and attack.

Madrid wouldn't struggle to make more than 3 signings but if Perez felt the potential tranfer fee was too high he would walk away. But in Madrid's case they operate like a huge club and target players from different back grounds and look at player ability above all else. They don't pigeon hole themselves like we're currently doing to change the culture of the team in Ole's words.

The Uncle of All Uncles

Why did Luke Shaw get a bumper new contract last September (2018) having been out for most of the year in each of his first 4 seasons (the leg break can be excused but that's only 1 year out of 4, 1.5 years max).

He played decently for about 5-6 games in Aug-Sep 2018 and then was given a reported £195k a week contract keeping him at the club for the next 4 years.

I doubt Mourinho was pushing hard for this contract to be awarded, really. And why the massive pay increase? Is that just a standard cost-of-living increase that everyone at Man Utd gets?

My point is, actions like this quite clearly reward underperformance, and send a message down through the club and squad that must have a knock-on effect. Surely it must. Mata, Jones, Young, Pereira all got new contracts this year alone. Rojo got one a year and a half ago. Maybe there's some financial good sense in doing this, I'm sure there's an element of that. Perhaps it's a reasonable way to manage a large squad. Perhaps not. Maybe each of those didn't get a pay increase, but surely some did.

However, Ed Woodward is now on record as saying he and Solskjaer want to change the 'culture' of Man Utd, and that this is a difficult first season in starting that process. Seems fair, no? Except for the fact that he himself has contributed enormously over the last 6 years to the very culture that he is now trying to change. The culture of accepting underperformance. The culture of not being committed to success. The culture of rewarding underperformance. The culture of measuring success as social media hits and shirts sold and app downloads. It makes no sense to me that the person who oversaw the mess being created is now going to be the person to fix it.

Man Utd almost seems to be an easy gig for a footballer, compared to other clubs of its stature. Your position is always secure, you get paid way more than your peers at other clubs, you don't have to play very often if you're not up to it. And at the end of it all, after 4 or 5 or 6 or 7 years of underperformance and promises unkept, you get a new contract and a chance to keep doing what you are doing for another few years. Madness. And Woodward cannot be absolved of this, as he is either the man giving out these contracts again and again, or he's the man who hires the men who keep giving them out. Either way, he's done a remarkably poor job since 2013. Astonishingly poor, really.

Last edited:

Judas

Open to offers
This. A quality manager will have us around top 5, they might even despite everything get us to finish around 3rd with some luck, but it'll be because of the players and the manager that would be possible, Woodward is a dragging us all the way to hell.

Zlatattack

Woodward doesn't set the tactics but he's responsible for plenty of other problems.

1. He signs managers with no thought to the playing style and the strengths/weaknesses of the squad.

2. He gives contract renewals to shit players to "retain value". The wages we pay to Jones and Rojo etc will never be returned in a transfer fee.

3. He claims its hard to make more than 3 signings a season, despite big clubs all over the world managing.

4. He sticks with shit managers to long.

Ultimately during his tenure all aspects of our club have gone backwards apart from the commercial side. Trust me when we say it's not too long before that goes tits up too. He needs to be held responsible.

Lord-Rataxes

Woodward doesn't set the tactics but he's responsible for plenty of other problems.

1. He signs managers with no thought to the playing style and the strengths/weaknesses of the squad.

2. He gives contract renewals to shit players to "retain value". The wages we pay to Jones and Rojo etc will never be returned in a transfer fee.

3. He claims its hard to make more than 3 signings a season, despite big clubs all over the world managing.

4. He sticks with shit managers to long.

Ultimately during his tenure all aspects of our club have gone backwards apart from the commercial side. Trust me when we say it's not too long before that goes tits up too. He needs to be held responsible.
Exactly this, Woodward compounds one mistake with another. If his stance is genuinely to stick with OGS because he believes in the long term plan, he's making the biggest mistake since Gary Glitter had his computer fixed.

Skills

Snitch
We've failed for 7 seasons since SAF retired and we have hired 4 managers in this period. Who is the common denominator in this period?

Woodward wouldn't relinquish power and that's the problem. Backing managers means feck all as he has absolutely no football knowledge and wouldn't know if the manager is investing on right players. That's why we've spent close to billion pounds and still have Pereira as our midfielder.
You say as if other clubs aren't running through multiple managers. It's only a big deal here because for our fans, the success criteria is for the manager to last 26 years

UpWithRivers

The problem I have with the attack on Woodward is that its based on speculation and paper talk. Its impossible to form a real assessment of what he has and hasnt done. With the manager it is blatantly obvious what their failures are you can see it week in week out and you can form an opinion. Woodward is not a one man decision making machine. For instance recruitment is made based on a group of people including scouts and the manager and with financial guidance from the owners. So a lot of people have fkd sht up. Even Sir Alex should take some blame for the Moyes fiasco.
Woodward definitely has to take his share of blame as the guy at the top but that should be separated from the performance of the manager.

ash_86

You say as if other clubs aren't running through multiple managers. It's only a big deal here because for our fans, the success criteria is for the manager to last 26 years
I have no qualms about changing manager but what qualification does Ed have to make that decision? That's the reason we are failing.

Fts 74

Exactly this, Woodward compounds one mistake with another. If his stance is genuinely to stick with OGS because he believes in the long term plan, he's making the biggest mistake since Gary Glitter had his computer fixed.
Brilliant!

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
It might be fine if we had the treble side and we need slight modifications. What we need is a rebuild. Top players won't be waiting for us 5 years to get back on our feet while injuries that cripple players will happen, complacency will creep in and those players will need to be kicked out immediately before they infect others and players do grow old or disillusioned by the club

We need 5 players + per summer for at least 4-5 years. It will remove deadwood quickly, it would keep players on their toes and it will allow the manager to implement quickly what he's got in mind. Instead we're giving players who shouldn't be anywhere near at the club contract extensions simply because our CEO find it hard to sign more then 3 players a year. What type of message that gives to players?

Last edited:

Skills

Snitch
I have no qualms about changing manager but what qualification does Ed have to make that decision? That's the reason we are failing.
What qualification do you need? And who's to suggest Woodward is doing all of this autonomously? We have paid directors at the club, which includes the likes of Sir Alex and Bobby Charlton who are there to advice and help the board.

Dr. StrangeHate

Any competent CEO would have waited till the end of the season before hiring a new manager last season. Any competent CEO would have fired Ole by now for the results we are seeing. He dithers until lasting damage is done before moving forward. He shouldn't give a damn what the match going fans or pundits think. He should do what is best for the club. This is 100% on Ed.

arthurka

Ok. Fellaini and Smalling are players that no one wanted here and Ole was applauded for getting rid of but now it's all on Ole. Mourinho was slated here for Fellaini and all last season Smalling was the reason or defence was shit, not having Ashley Young playing all games, out of shape Shaw and our soft Swedish hardman by his side. But now its Ole who made a mess there. Lukaku no one wanted him and he didn't want to be here and it is clear that Ole thought he would be replaced if sold so it's clearly not on him.

There is one constant theme through our misery since Fergie left and that is Ed. We could have all tried all of the best managers in the world and still be the shit show we are today. His best stunt was probably when he gave Mourinho a long contract the stiffed him on the market over the summer. If anyone thinks Ole wanted to go into this season with such a thin squad think again. This was all out there for everyone to see.

I am Ole out as we look worse them when he came here and his point tally proves it but anyone coming into this shit show will be hung to dry for all to see in less then 2 seasons by Ed and the board.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It would be fine if we had the treble side and we need slight modifications. What we need is a rebuild. Top players won't be waiting for us 5 years to get back on our feet while injuries that cripple players will happen and age will hinder us.
The problem is Dev that under our current ownership that isn't possible at this moment in time. Just think of it like this, you have £150m to spend with Lukaku going to Inter. How do you go about spending that sum with all the holes in our team? The sensible thing would've been to spend the bulk of that money on midfield and and attack IMO instead of signing Maguire and Wan Bissaka for ridiculous sums and keeping Smalling at the club. Ole has shown a naivety that befits his inexperience as a manager at a club with such a high standing in the game and it's not surprising we've been even worse this season than ever before post SAF.

RedDevilUnited369

I love the spin used to blame Ole.
A lot of short sighted fans that can't see that managers under Woodward have their hands tied.
Complain about no midfielders but forget how badly we were crying out for a new CB at the end of last season.
Then you get this rubbish from Woodward....
^Does Woodward understand what a rebuild takes? Do you fans understand what a rebuild takes? Because it take better management than what Woodward provides.

Had Woodward bought Maguire for Jose at £20m cheaper than what we paid then we could have bought in a midfielder this summer gone. Bad from Woodward.

Then there is how he does business. At no point did Leiceter ever change their stance on Maguire. From the beginning of the transfer window is was £80m or no deal. So why did it take until the last week to get the deal done? The price didn't change so he could have got that deal done in the first week of the window allowing Ole to take him on the Asia preseason tour and bed into the team. It took so long because Woodward knew he should have backed Jose the previous year and now faced paying an additional £20m. He spent the summer trying to haggle with Leicester out of pure shame and humilation and neglected other areas Ole needed help in!

So Ole isn't being backed because no matter what you think about him there is no way he wanted Herrera and Feliani gone with no replacements. No way he wanted Lukaku gone with no replacement! But because it's not in Ole's nature to rock the boat, everybody assumes that Ole was behind some of these decisions. NO MANAGER OF A TEAM LIKE UTD IS HAPPY LETTING PLAYERS GO WITHOUT REPLACING THEM!

Eric's Seagull

Woodward should take his share of the blame.

He is the one who hired managers and let them squander hundreds of millions of pounds.

He is the one who gave contracts to players who didn't deserve them.

He should realise the way he is running things is not working out and should have brought in a DoF to help him but he refuses to. He just sacks the manager and starts over again and when that doesn't work repeats the process.

Due to him we have one of the highest wage bills in the world, I would think with such a high wage bill we would be watching football that reflects this outlay.

Johan07

At least with benefit of hindsight Woodward should be blamed too. Make no mistake, the coaches we hired were all wrong ones and the way they set up the team was just wrong. We didn't look like a 11 players playing as a team since SAF retired, always looked like individuals who are playing for the first time (except very few games), so all the blame on that is surely on the managers and coaching staff.

Apart from that Woodward should have improved the recruitment adding more experts instead of relying on his failed buddies. He said it's hard to complete 3 deals in a summer and we have DoF at other clubs who had no problem completing 6-10 deals in a summer. That's why we should have dedicated individual who plans the recruitment and with proven track record. Woodward believes the system he is following is working fine, so obviously Woodward should be blamed for wasting so much money on transfers.

Instead of pointing fingers at Individuals I would say coaching staff + Recruitment staff have failed in last 6-7 years.
We have expanded and rebuilt the recruitment side completely over the last 5 years though. Including the youth setup.
It was severely neglected the last years under Gill and Sir Alex, something that both Moyes and LvG reacted on.
The club has tried to remedy it, and its probably one of the major reason that the club wants to keep faith in what its has been doing by promoting youth more than before even.
Still: one cant judge if that overhaul should be deemed a success or not for another couple of years.
The scouting and recruitment system focuses on players in their teens and maybe even lower. This takes time to settle and to be effective. A lot of the recruitment of younger players depends on our recruitment teams personal contact with those young players and their families. Which is where we were lagging behind Chelsea, City and others when Sir Alex left. Those relationships take time to build.
The recruitment for players immidiately destined for the first team will always pretty much be down to the manager, even if the heads of recruitment will have their inputs.
The idea that Woodward has any input here except for wage-budget concerns is still one of the most weird narratives ever. And somehow it seems to have been widely accepted.
As been said earlier in this thread, Wan-Bissaka and Maguire were always obvious targets for the first team.
As will Sancho and Maddison be next summer plus at least/hopefully two world class midfielders.
Here; the recruitment department will not have had a big final say, its probably been very clear for a long time which targets we have for nxt summer. And like Wan-Bissaka or Maguire it will be clear choices.
Then secondly it will be a financial question and if the player wants to come himself enough (see Dybala).
And thirdly; and maybe most essentially what we do if our first/second targets are not available for any of those reasons. Do we buy number 5 on the list like we did with Fred just to buy someone during that window or do we sit still in the boat and wait for our primary targets, like we seem to have done last summer?
The last question is extremely important and not an easy one to answer.
I tend to believe OGS and Woodward when they indicate that they rather will put faith in youth until the right player is available. They might have overdone it last summer, especially in midfield where it would have been a good idea IMO to bring in at least one "lower-ranked" player or why not a Matuidi to bridge the gap. I dont buy at all that this was due to financial constraints though. Its not supported by evidence over the years since Sir Alex left.

Last edited:

ash_86

What qualification do you need? And who's to suggest Woodward is doing all of this autonomously? We have paid directors at the club, which includes the likes of Sir Alex and Bobby Charlton who are there to advice and help the board.
Well with the managers and the players we have been recruiting and after spending about billion pounds it's safe to say it's been a disaster. What is Ed going to do about it?