Blatter. England are bad losers

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
BBC News - England 2018 World Cup bid sponsor seeks compensation

Grocer Morrisons has said it wants Fifa to pay £1m ($1.6m) to grass-roots English football over what it called an "unfair" World Cup bidding process.

It has instructed lawyers in Switzerland to "examine options" over whether compensation can be claimed.

The Bradford-based firm became a backer of England's 2018 campaign in February.

Backed by ex-England star Alan Shearer, the firm gathered 1.6m signatures in support of England, only to see Russia secure the hosting prize.

Despite a high-profile and technically-acclaimed bid, England gained only two votes and went out in the first round of the World Cup 2018 bidding process.

Morrisons' chief executive Dalton Philips has now written to Sepp Blatter, president of world governing body Fifa.

Mr Philips said the bidding process was unfair as Fifa was determined to stage the World Cup in countries which had not hosted the event before.

As well as Russia in 2018, Qatar was named as host to stage the 2022 tournament.

"The FA team put together a fantastic bid," said Richard Taylor, Morrisons director of corporate affairs and communications.

"On behalf of our customer we are disappointed that the merits of the bid were not recognised by Fifa, which clearly was intent on locating the 2018 World Cup in an emerging country.

"As we think the decision-making process was unfair, we have instructed lawyers in Switzerland to examine our options under Swiss law.

"We hope Fifa will do the right thing and offer £1m to be invested in grass-roots football."

But Fifa has stood by its decision-making process since the World Cup decisions were made in Zurich on 2 December.

And last week, general secretary Jerome Valcke, said Fifa had seen no reason to amend the way decisions were made.

He also said he was certain Fifa's voting process was fair.

Berlinknives

Grocer Morrisons has said it wants Fifa to pay £1m ($1.6m) to grass-roots English football over what it called an "unfair" World Cup bidding process.

It has instructed lawyers in Switzerland to "examine options" over whether compensation can be claimed.

Backed by ex-England star Alan Shearer, the firm gathered 1.6m signatures in support of England, only to see Russia secure the hosting prize.

Despite a high-profile and technically-acclaimed bid, England gained only two votes and went out in the first round of the World Cup 2018 bidding process.

Morrisons' chief executive Dalton Philips has now written to Sepp Blatter, president of world governing body Fifa.

Mr Philips said the bidding process was unfair as Fifa was determined to stage the World Cup in countries which had not hosted the event before.

As well as Russia in 2018, Qatar was named as host to stage the 2022 tournament.

"The FA team put together a fantastic bid," said Richard Taylor, Morrisons director of corporate affairs and communications.

"On behalf of our customer we are disappointed that the merits of the bid were not recognised by Fifa, which clearly was intent on locating the 2018 World Cup in an emerging country.

"As we think the decision-making process was unfair, we have instructed lawyers in Switzerland to examine our options under Swiss law.

"We hope Fifa will do the right thing and offer £1m to be invested in grass-roots football."

But Fifa has stood by its decision-making process since the World Cup decisions were made in Zurich on 2 December.

And last week, general secretary Jerome Valcke, said Fifa had seen no reason to amend the way decisions were made.

This is laughable ... I'd expect this of Walmark or something.

Can I sue too?

Yeah England losing the world cup bid, means by some esoteric logic I can't afford a Ferrari. :lol:

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

They're looking like a desperate beggar who'd take anything rather than nothing at all.

1m? ffs..

wr8_utd

:'(
Blatter apologizes for Gay remarks.

Torres and Gerrard are unavailable for comment.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I hope Brazil do feck it up and I hope we tell fifa to go feck themselves.
I doubt they'd mind too much considering there are a handful of countries who are ready to host the WC at very short notice.

B Cantona

Desperate
This is laughable ... I'd expect this of Walmark or something.

Can I sue too?
To be fair, FIFA are leaving themselves wide open to this. Governments and big business are getting involved in bids that stand no chance of winning - all the while being led to believe them do - spending a hell of a lot of money doing so in the process. And they won't like being taken for mugs

Fifa president pleased with 'historic decision' in sport

Fifa president Sepp Blatter has implied that unsuccessful World Cup bidders have been viewed as bad losers.

The world football governing body caused a few surprises when recently deciding to give the 2018 World Cup to Russia and the 2022 tournament to Qatar in an anonymous vote.

England were one of the unsuccessful parties who were bidding for the 2018 tournament and the process has been surrounded in uncertainty and allegations of corruption after only two votes were secured.

Blatter, though, insists that it was always a principle of Fifa to build a legacy of football around the world and he has accused losing bidders of a lack of grace.

He told Fifa's official website: "When I became the Fifa president, the decision was made to go into Asia. And then I said we had to go to Africa, which is what we did. It's only natural, then, that we should keep on moving into new regions.

"We have made historic decisions in terms of sport and geopolitics. We've sent the World Cup to new territories.

"The 2018 World Cup will go to eastern Europe and the vast country that is Russia, and the 2022 event will go to Qatar, in the Arab world.

"The World Cup will discover new cultures in new regions, and that's something I'm delighted about."

Asked if he understood the disappointment of the losing candidates, Blatter added: "Yes, but maybe some people have forgotten that in football you have to learn to lose as well as to win.

"It was a competition. Some people won, some people lost. That's normal.

"The sporting media don't always appreciate the social or cultural importance of awarding the World Cup finals to a country.

"They just think about penalties, corners, refereeing and money. But, as I've already said, this decision wasn't about making money."

Sky Sports | Football | Internationals | News | Blatter criticises bad losers
I hate to drag this up again but once more this man proves what a cock he is. He's finally admitting what we've suspected since the result.

Why couldn't he have told all the prospective bidders in the first place? Most of us wouldn't have bothered spending all that money when we didn't stand a chance. It was a competition in which the judging criteria was hidden from the start. But all these FIFA execs love being courted, wined and dined all over the world. Not to mention they have world leaders, sporting greats and royalty grovelling at their feet. They don't want to give that lifestyle up for nothing.

England1966

Cuckoo
This name Blatter in Romanian language is very close to a word which mens "fixed game"...I'm not saying that this president was the master of "fixed" ceremonies but corruption is an easy adjective for him.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
I hate to drag this up again but once more this man proves what a cock he is. He's finally admitting what we've suspected since the result.

Why couldn't he have told all the prospective bidders in the first place? Most of us wouldn't have bothered spending all that money when we didn't stand a chance. It was a competition in which the judging criteria was hidden from the start. But all these FIFA execs love being courted, wined and dined all over the world. Not to mention they have world leaders, sporting greats and royalty grovelling at their feet. They don't want to give that lifestyle up for nothing.
He's due for re-election some time within the next six months.

Berlinknives

To be fair, FIFA are leaving themselves wide open to this. Governments and big business are getting involved in bids that stand no chance of winning - all the while being led to believe them do - spending a hell of a lot of money doing so in the process. And they won't like being taken for mugs
Welcome to the free Market!

Ringo 07

I still dont get the whole drama over England not getting the cup. I never in a million years expected England to get it. Just cause they had a good bid that was in now way better than the bid by Australia or the USA didnt give them the right to host the cup. I prefer to see it going to places that need it more than England. England already has the Olympics and will probably get the World Cup next time it comes back to Europe so all the moaning and crying is getting old!! Its Ironic that when Ireland got robbed by the hand of Thierry Henry, there was shit loads of English giving out for the Irish to stop complaining and move on!! Its a fickle old world!!

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
Its Ironic that when Ireland got robbed by the hand of Thierry Henry, there was shit loads of English giving out for the Irish to stop complaining and move on!! Its a fickle old world!!
Every ENglish person I knew was gutted for Ireland, so I'm not sure were your getting that from.

It's a shame England missed out on the world cup. It would have a fantastic event. Russia and Qatar will most likely be dreadful.

Untied

Our bid team have been pretty embarrassing, coming out after we have lost, saying how awful and corrupt Fifa are, only once their own attempts at bribes, corruption and rimming have failed.
BBC Sport - Football - 2018 World Cup bid sought Qatar voting deal

2018 World Cup bid sought Qatar voting deal

England's failed 2018 World Cup bid tried to use the Duke of York's relationship with the Qatari royal family to secure a voting alliance.

Following a freedom of information request, the BBC has learned diplomats and the Football Association worked on a Qatar strategy to help England's bid.

Qatar's own bid for the 2022 tournament event was ultimately successful.

Spain and Portugal were accused of breaking Fifa rules by forming a voting alliance with Qatar.

The emails revealed by this freedom of information request show for the first time the lengths to which England was prepared to go to win backing for its campaign.

Time and again in correspondence from foreign office and embassy officials in Qatar, it was made clear that securing the support of the Emir of Qatar would be crucial to England's chances of success.

A plan was discussed to use the influence of the Royal Family, in particular the Duke of York, to secure a voting alliance between England's 2018 bid and Qatar's own challenge for the 2022 event.

One email said: "The advice from the ambassador in Doha is that, subject to anything that happened at that meeting, we should ask the Duke to be kind enough to speak to the Emir on the phone as soon as is convenient and before 23 April in order to seek his support for the England bid."

It is not known if any meeting or phone call took place.

But in other emails, it was revealed how the Duke of York - the United Kingdom's Special Representative for International Trade and Investment since 2001 - was planning to meet with the Emir's wife Sheika Mozha.

In October, the Emir made a state visit to Britain where it was hoped he would discuss the countries' World Cup bids with the Prince of Wales, though a statement from Clarence House denied that any voting alliance was discussed.

The FA has declined to comment on the emails or on its campaign voting strategy, though one source defended the approach saying this was what was needed to try and win.

What this information shows is that while other bids such as Spain and Portugal were investigated by Fifa for voting collusion, England was desperately trying to do its own deals to win the World Cup.

However the tactic was to prove unsuccessful with England gaining only two votes as its bid was eliminated in the first round.

davisjw

Don't see a problem in "voting alliance" if votes is all that was traded. Money, power, politics, etc is another story......

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Voting alliances are against the rules. It's collusion. FIFA knew it would happen when they decided to have both votes at the same time.

B Cantona

Desperate
I'm not quite seeing where that constitutes seeking a voting alliance, unless they have more they haven't published? Surely that's just using your influence to try and carry favour?

Shame though, this will now deflect attention away from the corruption FIFA dabbles in. Not that there's been much attention of that, they're bloody bullet proof. And Blatter is overwhelming favourite to get re-elected despite almost the whole of football thinking he's a chump. Go figure

Untied

I'm not quite seeing where that constitutes seeking a voting alliance, unless they have more they haven't published? Surely that's just using your influence to try and carry favour?

Shame though, this will now deflect attention away from the corruption FIFA dabbles in. Not that there's been much attention of that, they're bloody bullet proof. And Blatter is overwhelming favourite to get re-elected despite almost the whole of football thinking he's a chump. Go figure
It looks particularly bad because of the "holier than thou" attitude our bid team projected after the result.

Sam.G

That article has one harmless quote. If that's the extent of the evidence, the Beeb are acting like a tabloid newspaper there.

Bearded but no genius

You know what drives me bonkers? When Blatter says things like the waffle above about geopolitics and the game being about more than corners and free kicks and goals and such.

By definition and your own rules it is NOT and any national association or government who tries to involve politics in football is supposed to be immediately suspended from participation in the world game.

Blatter has above specifically laid out an agenda for FIFA in direct contravention of FIFAs guidelines and FIFAs raison d'être.

Well done, scrotum neck.

B Cantona

Desperate
It looks particularly bad because of the "holier than thou" attitude our bid team projected after the result.
What holier than thou attitude? They were caught offering, well, bribes frankly, and we had to sack our football association chairman Triesman for his (admittedly private) baseless slurs of the Russian & Spanish bids

Anything and everything we said about FIFA and the bidding process was bang on, this shouldn't detract from that in the slightest

Untied

What holier than thou attitude? They were caught offering, well, bribes frankly, and we had to sack our football association chairman Triesman for his (admittedly private) baseless slurs of the Russian & Spanish bids

Anything and everything we said about FIFA and the bidding process was bang on, this shouldn't detract from that in the slightest
I'm not denying that.

But I said at the time it is a bit rich for the bid team to criticise FIFA for corruption only after their own attempts at it failed, having tried to hush the media during the bidding process.

Bidding for the World Cup is a competition of bribery and corruption. Who is the best a persuading and buying voters. Our bid team tried to win at that game. When they failed, they tried to blame the nature of the game. Now clearly the bidding process and FIFA as a whole needs a total revamp, but our bid team has tried to present it as we lost because of corruption. In fact they lost because they weren't very good at corruption.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
I'm not denying that.

But I said at the time it is a bit rich for the bid team to criticise FIFA for corruption only after their own attempts at it failed, having tried to hush the media during the bidding process.

Bidding for the World Cup is a competition of bribery and corruption. Who is the best a persuading and buying voters. Our bid team tried to win at that game. When they failed, they tried to blame the nature of the game. Now clearly the bidding process and FIFA as a whole needs a total revamp, but our bid team has tried to present it as we lost because of corruption. In fact they lost because they weren't very good at corruption.
What attempts at corruption are you talking about here?

Be clear and specific please so that we can all follow your accusations of corruption.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I seem to remember them having a modicum of standards and self respect prior to the Fergie thing.

Since then it's all been downhill. That bungs investigation with Redknapp was among the most embarassing pieces of football related journalism ever.