Gaming Bloodborne (PS4)

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Is that the bold hunters mark? I've used that a few times to return to the lamp if I can't be arsed running back but didn't realise it reset the area too, useful info, thanks.
Yep, that's the one.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
The DLC is brilliant but bastard hard.
Goddamn Maria battle still annoyes me as the only Soulsborne boss i never felt I beat properly.
Pure luck.

I mean, Sister Friede gave me the most deaths, but I understood her mechanics fully by the end. :lol:

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I platinumed it so there is literally nothing left for me to do in it but I'm getting the itch to do another playthrough.

No game's combat comes close to the satisfaction if gives.

Bobski

Recently finished Dark Souls 3, which I did not find as satisfying as I hoped, mostly because it felt like a re-skinned copy of Bloodborne, without coming close to the heights of that influence.

1-Dark Souls 1
2-Bloodborne
3-Demons Souls

4-Dark Souls 3
5-Dark Souls 2

Even the weakest 2 are very good. I include Demons Souls in the top 3 for its originality, structure, bosses, the innovative online beginnings. Great game in its own right.

Need to stay away from this genre for some time, not feeling the Dark Souls remaster, will not be able to recreate the word of mouth buzz that drove that game, from a sleeper hit to a near enough cultural phenomenon.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Recently finished Dark Souls 3, which I did not find as satisfying as I hoped, mostly because it felt like a re-skinned copy of Bloodborne, without coming close to the heights of that influence.

1-Dark Souls 1
2-Bloodborne
3-Demons Souls

4-Dark Souls 3
5-Dark Souls 2

Even the weakest 2 are very good. I include Demons Souls in the top 3 for its originality, structure, bosses, the innovative online beginnings. Great game in its own right.

Need to stay away from this genre for some time, not feeling the Dark Souls remaster, will not be able to recreate the word of mouth buzz that drove that game, from a sleeper hit to a near enough cultural phenomenon.
This means that you haven't played Nioh. Play Nioh.

Bobski

This means that you haven't played Nioh. Play Nioh.
Genre fatigue. Looks good, highly rated, perhaps will come back to it in time, but I need to try something different. Starting Into The Breach, from the makers of FTL, one of my favourite games ever, very promising. Have to get around to Total War, Warhammer, bought it full price at release, has not even been installed. Wasteful, all games end up in a bundle for the patient.

Hawks2008

I'm a good chunk of the way through my first ever play-through (just beat the wet nurse) and wow this game is something else. The atmosphere and combat is the best in the series and the transition from traditional horror to Lovercraftian/cosmic horror is something I really loved too. Some of the enemies have been complete nightmares but getting through them is such a massive rush I love it (a big feck you to the hunter in the Grand Cathedral). Just getting started on the DLC now and Ludwig has kicked my ass at least 20+ times but I'm determined to get through him.

Bebe

So when this came out I bought it having never played a From game. Managed to painstakingly make my way to Vicar Amelia, before getting stuck there and just giving up. Since then I've played Dark Souls and Dark Souls 3 a couple times each and have generally "got gud".

Last week I finally worked up the courage to give this another go. Made my way back to the Vicar last night and thought "well let's just have one go and see" before planning to hit the areas either side of her. Beat her on the first attempt with 0 vials left and down to a sliver of health. Might be the best feeling I've had in one of these games so far.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
No idea how, but my save file is nowhere to be found on my PS4 or in online backup.

I was probably 2/3rds through the game with about 35-40 hours (I always do a lot of grinding in souls your games so I'm a bit overlevelled) but I put it down intending to come back and finish one day.

Can't be arsed to start again.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
So I started a new game of this last week as I hadn't played the DLC yet and had a hankering to get back in, I got up to Ludwig and holy feck is he hard, but it's good to be back in the hunters nightmare. I also fecked up the ending as I didn't know about the umbilical cords last time I completed it, so this time I was looking to get the 3rd ending.

I didn't realise that if you send the weird fella you find near the woods back to the cathedral he kills everyone thus missing Ariannas bit and to get the other missable umbilical cord you need to beat Losefka after you beat Rom the spider and sure didn't I go on ahead and beat her before. D'oh!

Ainu

Old-ish bump, I've only started playing this a couple of weeks ago but man, what a fecking game. I love it so much I instantly bought the DLC. I just managed to beat Ludwig, pretty sure I went full Jurgen Klopp with the fist pumps afterward. In terms of video game moments of pure joy and triumph, beating him is up there. He's just the first DLC boss so I'm already dreading what comes after. :nervous:

Ainu

The final one is a bastard of galactic proportions.
That's too nice for him. I'm trying to beat him now, 32 attempts in and once got him down to about 1/8th or something. This is easily one of the most difficult things I've ever attempted in a video game. It feels like I might either get lucky and get him tonight or be stuck on him for the rest of the week. They've certainly outdone themselves with this one.

The Bloody-Nine

I gave up and double teamed the prick. One of the few bosses in the Soulsborne games I couldn't solo. The others being The Fume Knight and Dark Lurker.

Ainu

I'm on 40 failed attempts now, the last one being about 10 minutes long. I'm struggling massively to read his attacks in the second phase and dodging them seems nearly impossible, let alone finding a safe opening to do some damage of my own. Insane level of difficulty.

The Bloody-Nine

Attempt a summon, would be my advice. Game was free on PS Plus a few months ago so there may well be a decent number of players still around.

Ainu

Nah, I've done everything on my own so far and I want to do the same here. Eventually I'll get a read on his second phase, it just might cost me my sanity. I'm on a strict no blood vial until the second phase diet to avoid running out of them and having to collect more, so at least I'm getting very good at his first phase.

The Bloody-Nine

I got very good at his first phase, too. After 50 tries, it's difficult not to. :lol:

F*ck the second one.

Adebesi

Vicar Amelia is proving a bit of a bugger for me. Only tried 3 or 4 times so far but havent really come close. If I can get past the hairy bitch by the end of tonight Ill be happy, but not holding my breath.

I had problems with Father Gascoigne as well, in the end I just gave up and spent a couple of nights going round and round Yharnam levelling up as much as I could and then going back when I was considerably stronger. I suspect that might be my best strategy here as well.

I do like this game, and I can definitely see why people love it, but I must say I do find it a little too difficult at times. Too difficult because it means I end up doing the same things over and over again, making it a little repetitive. That is my problem, I know. I just find all too often Im at the end of my tether, I have come close to sacking it off altogether a number of times out of sheer frustration. Considering how challenging I have found it already, so early in the game, its hard to see myself finishing it. But I am glad I have stuck with it so far.

Ainu

Have you been to Old Yarnham yet? I went there and defeated the area boss before tackling Amelia. I don't remember exactly but I think I stayed pretty close to Amelia's side, dodging her attacks and spamming R1 with the saw cleaver. It works great to cancel her healing in the latter stages as well.

Hawks2008

Vicar Amelia is proving a bit of a bugger for me. Only tried 3 or 4 times so far but havent really come close. If I can get past the hairy bitch by the end of tonight Ill be happy, but not holding my breath.

I had problems with Father Gascoigne as well, in the end I just gave up and spent a couple of nights going round and round Yharnam levelling up as much as I could and then going back when I was considerably stronger. I suspect that might be my best strategy here as well.

I do like this game, and I can definitely see why people love it, but I must say I do find it a little too difficult at times. Too difficult because it means I end up doing the same things over and over again, making it a little repetitive. That is my problem, I know. I just find all too often Im at the end of my tether, I have come close to sacking it off altogether a number of times out of sheer frustration. Considering how challenging I have found it already, so early in the game, its hard to see myself finishing it. But I am glad I have stuck with it so far.
I managed to defeat her by sticking close to her and dodging under her attacks. Once I recognised the patterns and got my timing right it wasn't super hard. What weapon are you using? Since you've made it to Cathedral Ward try get Ludwig's Holy Blade if you haven't all ready. The thing is a beast if you're levelling Skill and Strength equally, with high damage and stagger capabilities. Also as @Ainu pointed out, heading into Old Yharnam and running through the area and taking out the boss (which I personally found easier than Amelia) before going at Amelia again might be a good idea (If you haven't already). Get a few more blood echoes to level up and possibly make the Amelia fight a bit easier for you.

Honestly get where you're coming from with considering giving up, so many times there were bosses that had me tearing my hair out but finally beating them was such a rush that it felt worth it. The game does a great job at making you feel like you accomplished something. Hell, when you kill a boss it says "Prey Slaughtered" because you didn't just kill that hideous monstrosity, you made it your prey. And as much as this game can feel daunting and punishing I also think it's quite empowering. That all being said though, games are played to have fun and if you're not getting any kind of enjoyment from it then it is best to put it down and not waste time on something that doesn't make you happy.

All the best, Good Hunter.

Adebesi

Have you been to Old Yarnham yet? I went there and defeated the area boss before tackling Amelia. I don't remember exactly but I think I stayed pretty close to Amelia's side, dodging her attacks and spamming R1 with the saw cleaver. It works great to cancel her healing in the latter stages as well.
Yeah I was reading up this morning and the advice was exactly that - well, behind her rather than beside, but definitely using the faster light attack. I was kind of trying to do the first (with limited success) but not so much the second, I was using heavier attacks. So Ill definitely try that approach.

And yes, I have found Old Yharnam, and been in there, but not cleared the area yet. I actually found that area harder than the area leading up to Amelia though, wandering around there was one of the moments I mentioned when I got frustrated and nearly gave up. Then I got the Hunter Chief Emblem and started doing the top part of the Cathedral Ward and found that much more rewarding - until I got to Amela anyway.

Anyway Ive levelled up a few times since then so maybe if I go back to Old Yharnam Ill have a better time of it. Ill give Amelia another couple of tries first though, using the above strategy, and see how I get on.

Ainu

Yeah I was reading up this morning and the advice was exactly that - well, behind her rather than beside, but definitely using the faster light attack. I was kind of trying to do the first (with limited success) but not so much the second, I was using heavier attacks. So Ill definitely try that approach.

And yes, I have found Old Yharnam, and been in there, but not cleared the area yet. I actually found that area harder than the area leading up to Amelia though, wandering around there was one of the moments I mentioned when I got frustrated and nearly gave up. Then I got the Hunter Chief Emblem and started doing the top part of the Cathedral Ward and found that much more rewarding - until I got to Amela anyway.

Anyway Ive levelled up a few times since then so maybe if I go back to Old Yharnam Ill have a better time of it. Ill give Amelia another couple of tries first though, using the above strategy, and see how I get on.
Old Yarnham is tough and intimidating, especially with the gunner on the tower, but once you get to know the layout and open up the shortcuts it becomes manageable. The last shortcut opens a path to a couple of creatures that give you a ton of echoes at that level. Sometimes it's worth sacrificing any echoes you might collect to rush through a few areas just to learn the layout and get the shortcuts. You can always get more echoes.

Adebesi

I managed to defeat her by sticking close to her and dodging under her attacks. Once I recognised the patterns and got my timing right it wasn't super hard. What weapon are you using? Since you've made it to Cathedral Ward try get Ludwig's Holy Blade if you haven't all ready. The thing is a beast if you're levelling Skill and Strength equally, with high damage and stagger capabilities. Also as @Ainu pointed out, heading into Old Yharnam and running through the area and taking out the boss (which I personally found easier than Amelia) before going at Amelia again might be a good idea (If you haven't already). Get a few more blood echoes to level up and possibly make the Amelia fight a bit easier for you.

Honestly get where you're coming from with considering giving up, so many times there were bosses that had me tearing my hair out but finally beating them was such a rush that it felt worth it. The game does a great job at making you feel like you accomplished something. Hell, when you kill a boss it says "Prey Slaughtered" because you didn't just kill that hideous monstrosity, you made it your prey. And as much as this game can feel daunting and punishing I also think it's quite empowering. That all being said though, games are played to have fun and if you're not getting any kind of enjoyment from it then it is best to put it down and not waste time on something that doesn't make you happy.

All the best, Good Hunter.
Thanks.

I havent got Ludwig's Holy Blade. Im using the axe. Im also all about two handed, I have no time at all for the pistol so Ive put that shit away and just go two-handed axe all the time. Which, again, maybe is making life harder for myself against bosses. I realise I am missing out on visceral attacks that way, it has occurred to me that maybe I should practice using the gun and getting instinctive with visceral attacks, maybe if I dont have any joy any other way that's what Ill do. But so far I have found the two handed axe suits me best, and the gun basically just annoying.

Also, I have not been levelling up skill. Ive been levelling up vitality, endurance and strength equally so far.

Last edited:

Adebesi

Old Yarnham is tough and intimidating, especially with the gunner on the tower, but once you get to know the layout and open up the shortcuts it becomes manageable. The last shortcut opens a path to a couple of creatures that give you a ton of echoes at that level. Sometimes it's worth sacrificing any echoes you might collect to rush through a few areas just to learn the layout and get the shortcuts. You can always get more echoes.
You mean just run past people?

Yeah, it was that bloody gunner that pushed me over the edge. I threw down the controller in disgust and watched a couple of episodes of Sunny to calm down, and then went to bed, sincerely believing I was done with it. By the next evening it was calling me back though.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling

As others have said, stick close and go around the back of her. Also, use fire if you can. Either use Fire Paper or get some Molotov Cocktails. She's very weak to fire, particularly if you can use fire paper on your weapon. That destroys her

Last edited:

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
The DLC is superb, but be warned: don't complete the game too many times then go into the DLC because you will be in for a world of hurt. I went into it on new game +++

Fighting the orphan of kos in new game +++ is all kinds of hell.

narnar

Needs Help

To add to the other advice, you could try hemwick chernel Lane too. The boss isn't difficult, plenty of echoes to be gained and you can equip runes after it.

For amelia, fire paper and the cleaver will destroy her. Stick to the side if I remember correctly.

Adebesi

To add to the other advice, you could try hemwick chernel Lane too. The boss isn't difficult, plenty of echoes to be gained and you can equip runes after it.

For amelia, fire paper and the cleaver will destroy her. Stick to the side if I remember correctly.
Where is that? Instead of going into the Cathedral to fight Amelia you go left from the stairs and follow the path that way?

narnar

Needs Help
I had a little peep down there but then didnt actually go in. Nice one. Thanks. Ill check it out.

You can also go right from the cathedral, anything good down that way?
Don't let the first alley to the bonfire put you off, it's probably the worst bit.

And to the right of the cathedral, I think you need an item before heading down there.

Adebesi

Don't let the first alley to the bonfire put you off, it's probably the worst bit.

And to the right of the cathedral, I think you need an item before heading down there.
I'm always mindful of how far I'm walking from my respawn point on the basis that I'll have to go back if I die to get the echoes. Hence figuring I should wait till I'd beaten Amelia and presumably lit a lamp at the cathedral.