Gaming Bloodborne (PS4)

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Done all bosses but the last one(s) now.
Working on the chalice dungeons to get the platinum trophy (lacking the final weapon in the game, the 3 endings and the final chalice boss trophy).

Man, it's been a fun ride so far, I might actually play through the game 2 more times to get the ending trophies legit instead of storing the savegame on a usb.
Slightly worried about my 3 last chalices though, people say Isz is easy, but that the two last Pthumerian dungeons are horrible to do (defiled and cursed & greater chalice).

I'm thinking the boss people thought I'd struggle with in the DLC was Orphan of Kos?
I think i died 3-4 times to him until I got good at dodging him and realized i could just backstab him to death, ultimately felt he was way easier than both Laurence and Maria. Laurence got me good for a while, i have to admit.
Maria alone is probably enough for me not to bother with the DLC if i do run the story twice more for the platinum.

Thinking I'll likely use 2-3 weeks more to finish up the chalice dungeons if they are as hard as people say.
Now I've soft-capped all but bloodhinge (25) and arcane (12) stats though, so it'll be a git gud situation if i get stuck rather than something i can just grind out like i use to.
Currently using Evelyn +10 as my off-hand weapon, sticking to the Ludwigs holy sword +10 as my main sword and have Simons bowblade +10 for when i need to fight a bit more ranged, though I hope that some arcane tools will replace it once i get arcane up to 25-50.

Wondering if I'll do Nioh next before going back to the dark souls series... Really can't decide. Anyone who has played both who can say anything about the quality of the two compared to eachother?
(know Nioh is more like bloodborne fighting wise, but does it feel as good to play?)

Edit: beat the keeper of old lords and watch dog of the old lords on the first tries. Just interrupted the keeper and used Simon's bow blade and strafed around the area against the dog. Now that felt fantastic, hope I'll have as easy a time against the amygdala, but I wasn't very good at it outside of chalice... I think I'll level up some more bloodhinge and arcane and try and long-distance cheese that as well. Feels like I'm getting close to the end of the chalice dungeons now. :D

Last edited:

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Started fighting Shadow of Yarhnam by accident after walking around lost for half an hour. Was so scared of dying and having to go back to the start of the labyrinth that I killed them first time. Easy enough boss but I was panicking.

Loving the game but navigation is a pain for me.

Woodzy

Just bumping this thread to say how bloody amazing this game I was (and hopefully entice people in here hoping that a sequel has been announced :devil:).

I really want to play it again but not sure I can handle the stress. And with this one it's not the difficulty that is so stressful, it's the actual world and lore.

Eriku

Just bumping this thread to say how bloody amazing this game I was (and hopefully entice people in here hoping that a sequel has been announced :devil:).

I really want to play it again but not sure I can handle the stress. And with this one it's not the difficulty that is so stressful, it's the actual world and lore.
The opressive atmosphere? Haha, I feel the same way. I big it up in my head as a daunting hellscape, but once I get into it it's a blast. Pretty interesting that it instills this feeling though.

Good lord I want a sequel.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Still the best game on the PS4 for me.

I'm sure they're working on a sequel. The first game done really well and had a great critical reception.

I platinumed the game as i enjoyed it so much. Going through the chalice dungeons was a nightmare but was so worth it.

DLC is great, too.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Do you know what? As much as I really enjoyed this, and it's one of the best games on the PS4 (boost mode on the pro really works wonders for you fans too), I just don't think it is even better than DS2 for me.

The setting is great, the lore is interesting, and it just opened up that type of genre for the console boys.

But, and it's a disappointed but, I just found the lack of depth in the weapons and armour to be boring. There's a one size fits all element with console gaming, and I get that, but sometimes it dulls the point.

Still a much better game than the sort of ones that appear on best of lists :lol:

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
I'm playing this currently, the second boss took me like 9 tries, does it mean I'm too shit at this and should stop right now?

Last edited:

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
I'm playing this currently, the second both took me like 9 tries, does it mean I'm too shit at this and should stop right now?
No that sounds about right, keep going, there will be harder tests in the game but dying is an integral part of it, that feeling when you finally overcome a tough boss is pure heaven.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
No that sounds about right, keep going, there will be harder tests in the game but dying is an integral part of it, that feeling when you finally overcome a tough boss is pure heaven.
The first one was easy enough, I had to fight it 3 time I think, the Blood Starved Beast also wasn't that tough, I think it took me 4 tries, but that Father Gascoigne was insanely tough I was jumping with joy when I beat him, I haven't bought many weapons as well, only using the starting one, would that be enough to continue the first part of the game?

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
The first one was easy enough, I had to fight it 3 time I think, the Blood Starved Beast also wasn't that tough, I think it took me 4 tries, but that Father Gascoigne was insanely tough I was jumping with joy when I beat him, I haven't bought many weapons as well, only using the starting one, would that be enough to continue the first part of the game?
Aye the Cleaver and the Axe (better range) are all you'll really need until you get Ludwig's sword later on.

LOL The Memories!, I think Father Gascoigne took me 9 tries and I too was celebrating like an injury time winning goal when I beat him here's my winning battle with him:

There's a boss coming up, Vicar Amelia, everyone in here at the time said they didn't have too many problems with her but I swear I think she took me about 20 goes to beat her spread over 2 nights, I just couldn't do it, then when I finally did beat her it was the greatest thing ever :lol:

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Aye the Cleaver and the Axe (better range) are all you'll really need until you get Ludwig's sword later on.

LOL The Memories!, I think Father Gascoigne took me 9 tries and I too was celebrating like an injury time winning goal when I beat him here's my winning battle with him:

There's a boss coming up, Vicar Amelia, everyone in here at the time said they didn't have too many problems with her but I swear I think she took me about 20 goes to beat her spread over 2 nights, I just couldn't do it, then when I finally did beat her it was the greatest thing ever :lol:
Just watching that got me nervous! :lol:

I'm going for the witches next, Amelia right after, I want to upgrade my weapon again before facing Amelia.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Just watching that got me nervous! :lol:

I'm going for the witches next, Amelia right after, I want to upgrade my weapon again before facing Amelia.
I've actually been getting the itch to play this again recently though I've lent it to a work colleague and he still has it so Ive been diving into alot of videos on YouTube analysing the themes, influences and Lore in the game it's really fascinating stuff even though it's put across quite vaguely in the game itself there's alot of deep themes and interesting influences explored (men trying to commune with/become gods, religion, HP Lovecraft, our animalistic instincts etc) and backstory to the history of Yarnham and it's characters. So that's something for you to do but only once you've finished it as they are quite spoilery.

Last edited:

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
I've actually been getting the itch to play this again recently though I've lent it to a work colleague and he still has it so Ive been diving into alot of videos on YouTube analysing the themes, influences and Lore in the game it's really fascinating stuff even though it's put across quite vaguely in the game itself there's alot of deep themes and interesting influences explored (men trying to commune with/become gods, religion, HP Lovecraft, our animalistic instincts etc) and backstory to the history of Yarnham and it's characters. So that's something for you to do but only once you've finished it as they are quite spoilery.
Honest game trailer on youtube already spoiled the ending for me. :lol:

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Just killed Amellia on the first try, took me 20 blood vials but I didn't find it that hard, the healing was annoying though.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Just killed Amellia on the first try, took me 20 blood vials but I didn't find it that hard, the healing was annoying though.
:lol: I dont know why she troubled me so much, maybe I was just not levelled up enough at that point. Maybe because everybody was saying she was so easy It had a sub conscious effect on me or something.

But she will forever haunt my dreams...

Eriku

:lol: I dont know why she troubled me so much, maybe I was just not levelled up enough at that point. Maybe because everybody was saying she was so easy It had a sub conscious effect on me or something.

But she will forever haunt my dreams...

She's the one who made me understand how much more aggressive you have to be than in the Souls series. Took me a fair few tries, tho', and still takes a few when I replay.

Code-CX

I remember killing amelia on my first try. Gascoigne on the other hand absolutely ripped my heart out. I've never felt so much rage and joy in a video game when I beat him after what must have been over 30 or 40 tries. Bloodborne was my first souls game and I fell in love with the series because of it.

Personally, I prefer it over dark souls due to the faster playstyle but I'm just getting lazier these days :lol:.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
I've just beat the game, first souls game I beat entirely and that includes optional bosses and all extras, feeling such pride. :D

redom

Bought it in the january sale on PSN and now I've started my playthrough. It took me a few hours to get used to the controls because I've been playing Darksiders 2 recently and kept hitting R1 to dodge ... that didn't end well, but I've pretty much got past that muscle memory now and can push on. Just beat Father Gascoigne, I realised you can kinda cheese his first phase on my 2 or 3 attempt by using the tombstones but then his beast form wrecked me. It's still early but I do find the combat a little frustrating sometimes, the enemies seem to have a lot of different attacks and sometimes it's hard to know how to avoid them because if you back off they just bum rush you and if you dodge to the side/ behind them they have sweep attacks that still swing round and do damage. The parry system is decent though, just wish you had infinite bullets as I like to do it a lot and run out pretty quickly.

Kaos

Father Gascoigne was actually my easiest fight, and this is coming from someone that took an embarassing number of tries to beat the Cleric Beast.

I pretty much got lucky in that almost all my pistol counters worked.

redom

Best game ever this.
I dunno, I'm sticking with it but it just doesn't feel as satisfying as Dark Souls to me, I used to love facing hard humanoid enemies in that game but the hunters in this just spam gun shots the whole fight and it seems like you're encouraged to cheese them behind environmental objects. I feel like I'm getting frustrated at it a lot easier but I'll keep playing.

Red_Aaron

That's great news. I brought it, did the main story a couple of times then traded it. Last few months I've had a huge urge to play it again and now I can :cool:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Delighted with this. The souls series is bloody brilliant so I've been dying to play this.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Delighted with this. The souls series is bloody brilliant so I've been dying to play this.
;)

Whilst I struggle to put it above any of the souls games, even 2, for the lack of variation in weapons and armour and the poor upgrade system, it's still an absolutely brilliant game. I love the setting and whilst DS1 will always be my kind of combat, I really liked the change of pace in this and the chance to just full out rage mode when you get angry (which as you know you will, lots).

And excellent spin off on the souls series, and one of the best (if not THE best) games I've played on the PS4.

redom

;)

Whilst I struggle to put it above any of the souls games, even 2, for the lack of variation in weapons and armour and the poor upgrade system, it's still an absolutely brilliant game. I love the setting and whilst DS1 will always be my kind of combat, I really liked the change of pace in this and the chance to just full out rage mode when you get angry (which as you know you will, lots).

And excellent spin off on the souls series, and one of the best (if not THE best) games I've played on the PS4.
I agree about DS1, after playing some more Bloodborne I've definitely clicked with it more and I'm really enjoying it now, once I delved into the combat and combos a bit more I found it a lot more satisfying but I do miss something about the engagements in Dark Souls. Some little things that annoy me about BB include the backstab mechanic; it's only really useful if you can sneak up on an enemy and the lamps not being able to reset an area without traveling to the hunters dream. I'm still really enjoying it though and already thinking about builds for my second playthrough.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I agree about DS1, after playing some more Bloodborne I've definitely clicked with it more and I'm really enjoying it now, once I delved into the combat and combos a bit more I found it a lot more satisfying but I do miss something about the engagements in Dark Souls. Some little things that annoy me about BB include the backstab mechanic; it's only really useful if you can sneak up on an enemy and the lamps not being able to reset an area without traveling to the hunters dream. I'm still really enjoying it though and already thinking about builds for my second playthrough.
I don't remember the name of the item, but there is one which let's you return to the latest lamp. This respawns the area as well. Must have for farming in a few spots I won't spoil unless asked to.

redom

I don't remember the name of the item, but there is one which let's you return to the latest lamp. This respawns the area as well. Must have for farming in a few spots I won't spoil unless asked to.
Is that the bold hunters mark? I've used that a few times to return to the lamp if I can't be arsed running back but didn't realise it reset the area too, useful info, thanks.