Gaming Bloodborne (PS4)

Abraxas

Is this ever getting remade?

The single, solitary thing that lets this game down is the performance. It's just not good enough for the pace of the game, a blot on an otherwise amazing game.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Mate. DLC is the absolute peak of this game and takes everything to another level. Absolutely get that before anything.
I definitely will but I need a break. I've been non stop for a week and have work to catch up on :lol:
I had a similar thought before starting Sekiro. Platinumed BB and BB DLC .. what can go wrong?

Yeah, a lot. A fecking lot. :lol:
I've heard Sekiro is even more difficult. True?

Bosws87

I definitely will but I need a break. I've been non stop for a week and have work to catch up on :lol:

Sekiro's combat is an evolution of Bloodborne more of an aggressive style apart from they introduce a new mechanic where you have to time (in a very small window) block at the exact time the enemy is going to hit you, this is vital and what the whole game is based around.

I would say its a similar level of difficulty there are a few annoying bosses but it's not a far greater challenge then BB

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

I found Sekiro harder but I missed some of Bloodborne's bosses so there's that. I absolutely adore Sekiro's combat though. I don't think I've played a game with combat that good. When you get it right, there's no feeling like it.

Siorac

I think it's a lot more difficult, yes because it's a lot less flexible.

In every Souls game, Bloodborne included, you can farm for souls, level your character, upgrade your weapon, try a different weapon, go for magic spells, put on bulky armour (OK, you can't do that in Bloodborne) for increased damage mitigation, or just simply summon help.

There's pretty much none of that in Sekiro. Increasing your attack power is tied to defeating bosses; increasing your health and posture is tied to a rare item that has a limited quantity available in the world; you only have one weapon and you must use that; there is no magic - the closest things are the Shinobi tools which are highly situational.

On top of all that, the posture mechanic requires a lot more 'twitch' gameplay than any Souls game: it's fast and tests your reflexes considerably. It's a lot of fun and it's a great combat system but in my opinion, far more challenging than any of the Soulsborne games.

Massive Spanner

I think it's a lot more difficult, yes because it's a lot less flexible.

In every Souls game, Bloodborne included, you can farm for souls, level your character, upgrade your weapon, try a different weapon, go for magic spells, put on bulky armour (OK, you can't do that in Bloodborne) for increased damage mitigation, or just simply summon help.

There's pretty much none of that in Sekiro. Increasing your attack power is tied to defeating bosses; increasing your health and posture is tied to a rare item that has a limited quantity available in the world; you only have one weapon and you must use that; there is no magic - the closest things are the Shinobi tools which are highly situational.

On top of all that, the posture mechanic requires a lot more 'twitch' gameplay than any Souls game: it's fast and tests your reflexes considerably. It's a lot of fun and it's a great combat system but in my opinion, far more challenging than any of the Soulsborne games.
Yeah that's in line with a lot of what I've read. I'll definitely give it a go at some point but I'll probably do Elden Ring and the Demon Souls remake first.

A whole new wooooorld!

largelyworried

Certainly. I played Sekiro first and Bloodborne straight afterwards. I found Bloodborne pretty easy to be honest.

That said, there's far less bullshit in Sekiro than in most other Souls games. The bosses are generally very precise, the hitboxes are really tight and the controls are lightning fast. Its much less flakey than most of the other From games, you're less likely to die from a wonky camera you couldn't control, or an area of effect attack that looked miles away but still gets you. Once you get the hand of Sekiro it feels fairer than the other games.

Massive Spanner

And that's a wrap. Incredible game. Absolutely awesome. If the greatest games ever was voted on again it'd be in my top 10!

Massive Spanner

Fought Moon Presence too?
Yep sure did.

My only complaint is that aside from the daughter of the cosmos and Martyr, the later bosses were far less challenging than some of the earlier ones. BSB and Yarnheim Shadows were the two that caused me by far the most deaths, though maybe I was over levelled late on? But I rarely farmed, apart from going up 10 levels before Martyr cause he was practically one shotting me.

That said my skill level and knowing of the game probably improved a lot more later on too, I was dying way, way less even in normal areas too.

I'm guessing the DLC and Chalices are way nastier anyway.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
Yep sure did.

My only complaint is that aside from the daughter of the cosmos and Martyr, the later bosses were far less challenging than some of the earlier ones. BSB and Yarnheim Shadows were the two that caused me by far the most deaths, though maybe I was over levelled late on? But I rarely farmed, apart from going up 10 levels before Martyr cause he was practically one shotting me.

That said my skill level and knowing of the game probably improved a lot more later on too, I was dying way, way less even in normal areas too.

Except one boss in DLC, all are great fights. Chalice is way nastier since you can make is as difficult as you want. The cursed Chalices for instance, reduce your health by 50%, plus there are some unique bosses in Chalices which are not there in the base game as also the defiled versions of some bosses like Rom and Amygdala.

Moby

Dick
100%, in terms of pure difficulty it is a level above, mainly as it is less hack and slash and more based on precision of timing and parry, has far less chances to heal during a fight and so on. I've had to play it hitless so far, because a couple of hits and you are done. Captures the whole samurai combat perfectly.

It also is a load of bosses. Everytime you beat a miniboss or boss theres one right after it. :lol:

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Is this ever getting remade?

The single, solitary thing that lets this game down is the performance. It's just not good enough for the pace of the game, a blot on an otherwise amazing game.
I'd be suprised if it wasn't at some point honestly

As far as Playstation exclusives go, Bloodborne is probably the one which is highest rated so it would be weird not to give it a next gen port

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Yep sure did.

Im still having nightmares about "Defiled Hotdog". Cant recall his real name, but thats what hes nicknamed by the internet.

Ainu

Im still having nightmares about "Defiled Hotdog". Cant recall his real name, but thats what hes nicknamed by the internet.
:lol: That was a bastard hard fight but it felt so great to master it. Defiled Amy though, feck that. That jump attack had me tearing my hair out and even when I looked up how to deal with it (which is completely counter intuitive), messing up one time is still an instant death.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
Watchdog of the Old Lords. Bloody thing has the highest HP in the normal game.

And that one not-so-great boss fight has absolutely amazing music at least.
Yup. They really took it up a notch with the music in the DLC.

Woodzy

Back on this after finishing Dark Souls I & II. It has a little bit more of an addicition factor to it than those games.

The game is battering me as well, but I somehow managed to beat Father Gasgoine first try. I guess remembering how to parry is all it takes for that.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Back on this after finishing Dark Souls I & II. It has a little bit more of an addicition factor to it than those games.

The game is battering me as well, but I somehow managed to beat Father Gasgoine first try. I guess remembering how to parry is all it takes for that.
The first few hours of Bloodborne are fecking brutal.

Massive Spanner

The first few hours of Bloodborne are fecking brutal.
Yeah it really is. It was also my first Souls game and kept putting me off playing any more. Glad I finally persevered and got through that first area.

For me it's still a level above both Elden Ring and Sekiro. Perfect blend of great combat, exploration, memorable bosses, and customisation.

And yeah, insanely addictive. Dunno what it is but there's always an urge for "one more area". Maybe because even the regular areas and enemies are so much better designed and challenging than the other games. Some of the corridors and areas you have to get through are more difficult than most bosses.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Yeah it really is. It was also my first Souls game and kept putting me off playing any more. Glad I finally persevered and got through that first area.

For me it's still a level above both Elden Ring and Sekiro. Perfect blend of great combat, exploration, memorable bosses, and customisation.

And yeah, insanely addictive. Dunno what it is but there's always an urge for "one more area". Maybe because even the regular areas and enemies are so much better designed and challenging than the other games. Some of the corridors and areas you have to get through are more difficult than most bosses.
Also some of the "hidden" areas are spooky and weird as hell. I've played the game to death and I'm not sure I can go back to it even if it gets a remaster. For me it's also tier 1 among their best work. I had more fun with DS3 but for some reason it doesn't seem to get rated as much as their best work. Personally I'd say the ringed city dlc beats anything in Elden Ring or DS1 and DS2.

Massive Spanner

Also some of the "hidden" areas are spooky and weird as hell. I've played the game to death and I'm not sure I can go back to it even if it gets a remaster. For me it's also tier 1 among their best work. I had more fun with DS3 but for some reason it doesn't seem to get rated as much as their best work. Personally I'd say the ringed city dlc beats anything in Elden Ring or DS1 and DS2.
I've heard great things about DS3. Definitely on my list. Have Sekiro to finish, then Demon Souls remake, then BB DLC, then maybe DS3.

pacifictheme

Just started another playthrough of bloodborne yesterday. Never used the tonitrus so going to give that a go I think. Greatest game of all time for me. Easily better than elden ring imo.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

Yeah same. Sekiro, while fantastic, was a little bit too focused on a single style. Bloodborne doesn't exactly have the gazillion weapons that the Darksouls games or Elden Ring have, but all the weapons in Bloodborne are fantastic and the combat is just more fluid and satisfying.

largelyworried

I prefer Sekiro, but BB is such an incredible game too. I was watching a video about elden ring yesterday and it showed a 10 second clip of Bloodborne, and seeing that was enough to make me want to pick it up again.

Shame about the frame rate though, definitely a black mark against it.

Woodzy

I prefer Sekiro, but BB is such an incredible game too. I was watching a video about elden ring yesterday and it showed a 10 second clip of Bloodborne, and seeing that was enough to make me want to pick it up again.

Shame about the frame rate though, definitely a black mark against it.
You adjust to it after about 30 mins I found.

Chairman Steve

Massive, open world, Elden Ring-like Bloodborne sequel would be a pretty awesome PS5 title. It would be a legit killer app game for Sony, who undoubtedly know this but it’s probably up to Miyazaki if he wants to do that.

Moby

Dick
Massive, open world, Elden Ring-like Bloodborne sequel would be a pretty awesome PS5 title. It would be a legit killer app game for Sony, who undoubtedly know this but it’s probably up to Miyazaki if he wants to do that.
Eh? No way mate! The gameworld of Bloodborne is an absolute masterpiece and a lot of it is due to the level design and interconnectivity which also massively ties into the lore. It was such a huge part of the experience. Not even FS are gonna be able to recreate something as stunning and immersive.

As I've always said, maybe a PS5 remaster aside, this should not ever be touched. It's like the Godfather of video games.

Woodzy

Hardest boss in the base game for me.

hardest encounter though was the cathedral with those 3 hunters.
Its that ambient poison attack in the third phase that makes it so difficult. Its really hard to get a hit in, and you pretty much need to make sure you’ve got some antidotes on you to get through it which makes it a pain when you run out.

Witch of Hemwick was almost as easy as I remember, although I think I was a much higher level last time as this one was a slog. I always lost about 20k souls on the run up to it which I think is karma for the amount of times I farmed that run on my original play through when it was released.

At Vicar Amelia now, got battered on my first attempt.

Moby

Dick
Its that ambient poison attack in the third phase that makes it so difficult. Its really hard to get a hit in, and you pretty much need to make sure you’ve got some antidotes on you to get through it which makes it a pain when you run out.
You can actually finish BSB by nothing else but parry. She has a massive parry window and you can go till the end with just doing that. I tried that in NG+ and yeah she didn't last long. It's a tricky boss as it can come quite early.

At Vicar Amelia now, got battered on my first attempt
I never really understood why but I happened to kill Amelia first time both times. Didn't use numbing mist or anything but I think my build just minces these big beasts. Same thing with Ludwig. Heard everyone saying it is the toughest fight in the game but I got him quickly as well.

I really struggled far more vs faster enemies. Logarius I think was my worst base game boss.

Ainu

You can actually finish BSB by nothing else but parry. She has a massive parry window and you can go till the end with just doing that. I tried that in NG+ and yeah she didn't last long. It's a tricky boss as it can come quite early.

I never really understood why but I happened to kill Amelia first time both times. Didn't use numbing mist or anything but I think my build just minces these big beasts. Same thing with Ludwig. Heard everyone saying it is the toughest fight in the game but I got him quickly as well.

I really struggled far more vs faster enemies. Logarius I think was my worst base game boss.
I wonder if Logarius would be regarded very differently if he didn't have that awful run up to him. Worst run of the game as far as I remember.

Massive Spanner

I wonder if Logarius would be regarded very differently if he didn't have that awful run up to him. Worst run of the game as far as I remember.
The Shadows of Yarnheim or whatever they are are worse, and a tougher boss too.