Gaming Bloodborne (PS4)

Simbo

Can't believe this has ended up a ps4 exclusive after the popularity of the Souls games, hope FROM made them pay up for it! This and Last of Us might just convince me to finally buy a console at some point this year.

Leg-End

Can't believe this has ended up a ps4 exclusive after the popularity of the Souls games, hope FROM made them pay up for it! This and Last of Us might just convince me to finally buy a console at some point this year.
It's co-developed by Japan Studio, a Sony owned developer, they just linked up with Hidetaka Miyazaki and FROM.

siw2007

After reviews I am extremely looking forward to this. I managed to beat Demons Souls (mind you with some very dirty and cheap tactics) so hoping this is as good. I never beat Dark Souls so probably not expecting to beat Bloodborne but will be a good laugh seeing how far I can get.

Ekeke

Why wouldnt it be? Its not Dark Souls

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
So I just got killed by a flamethrower... A flamethrower, in a souls game. Not even fair :lol:
Also there's a part where a guy is on a mini gun at the top of a tower sniping you throughout the whole level pretty much while you have to try and get to him and climb up and kill him. Fecking impossible

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Didnt someone post in here an explanation why UK gets games late? Or was that another thread, can't find it now.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Was in here by Damo. I haven't read the article but I think it's simply due to distribution. It's stupid.

bosnian_red

So I got the summoning thing to work, only I had no idea where this guy was that I summoned, and I thought this door I had to open was the boss so I was waiting for 5 minutes before I decided feck it i'll do it alone, turns out he was waiting right at the door and it wasn't quite the boss area :lol: ooops

Ekeke

Seen 5 or 6 bosses so far, gonna summarise rather than be specific mentioning names or anything but just in case people dont want to even know general information about types of enemies, I'll spoiler it.

and while most of them have a really cool graphical design, the battles seem a bit dissappointing with almost none of them bringing something new. Instead most of them have been very similar to other bosses in the series.

Also a number of people complained that Dark Souls 2 had too many Humanoid / bipedal type bosses, this one has a lot of 4 legged beast bosses which I've already heard someone streaming complain about. Oh and if you know the "reason" behind disliking humanoid bosses, well that game mechanic has carried over to the 4 legged bosses in this one.

Bojan11

I've never played Darks Souls. Will this be too difficult?
It will be difficult at the start. But once you get past that and learn the mechanics it will be more time consuming.

bosnian_red

Seen 5 or 6 bosses so far, gonna summarise rather than be specific mentioning names or anything but just in case people dont want to even know general information about types of enemies, I'll spoiler it.

and while most of them have a really cool graphical design, the battles seem a bit dissappointing with almost none of them bringing something new. Instead most of them have been very similar to other bosses in the series.

Also a number of people complained that Dark Souls 2 had too many Humanoid / bipedal type bosses, this one has a lot of 4 legged beast bosses which I've already heard someone streaming complain about. Oh and if you know the "reason" behind disliking humanoid bosses, well that game mechanic has carried over to the 4 legged bosses in this one.
Are you just watching it or do you have it? If you have it, how the feck do you kill the mini gun guy

Ekeke

Are you just watching it or do you have it? If you have it, how the feck do you kill the mini gun guy
I wont have it till Friday, preordered from Game

Just watching and the minigun mob needs to reload, so you can run past and get him from behind. Just make a run for it

bosnian_red

I wont have it till Friday, preordered from Game

Just watching and the minigun mob needs to reload, so you can run past and get him from behind. Just make a run for it
Oh I can get to him, it's just when I climb the tower and fight him 1 v 1 he is incredibly fast and if you get too close he just uses a blunderbuss to one shot you.. Can barely get hits on him

Ekeke

Oh I can get to him, it's just when I climb the tower and fight him 1 v 1 he is incredibly fast and if you get too close he just uses a blunderbuss to one shot you.. Can barely get hits on him
oh thats a different one I think, theres several different types of the grandpas. Ones that are behind the minigun, ones with flamethrowers, and I only saw 1 with the blunderbuss. But im guessing there will be one for every type of gun in the game. Cant remember exactly how the guy playing beat the blunderbuss guy

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I'm curious, how does leveling work in this? Once you die, do you keep your experience points or whatever it's called in this, and your character grows with every kill you make and task you complete, so that everytime you restart the game you're stronger, or do you lose all your points with death and start from scratch at the last reached checkpoint? If it's the former and a lot of grinding is necessary before you move on to the level required to beat certain bosses/enemies then I can see myself enjoying it, if it's the latter then it might be a bit too much.

b82REZ

I'm curious, how does leveling work in this? Once you die, do you keep your experience points or whatever it's called in this, and your character grows with every kill you make and task you complete, so that everytime you restart the game you're stronger, or do you lose all your points with death and start from scratch at the last reached checkpoint? If it's the former and a lot of grinding is necessary before you move on to the level required to beat certain bosses/enemies then I can see myself enjoying it, if it's the latter then it might be a bit too much.
You pick up souls (blood shards I think they're called in Bloodborne) if you are killed before reaching a checkpoint where you bank them they will either lie or the floor or the enemy that killed you will absorb them. You then have to return to pick them up, if you die before you pick them up you lose them for good. You are expected to lose souls regularly so you'll need to grind certain sections.

Sarni

You pick up souls (blood shards I think they're called in Bloodborne) if you are killed before reaching a checkpoint where you bank them they will either lie or the floor or the enemy that killed you will absorb them. You then have to return to pick them up, if you die before you pick them up you lose them for good. You are expected to lose souls regularly so you'll need to grind certain sections.
I see. What about reaching higher level though, do you still reach them and your characters grow in strength even if you die, or do you need to get your blood shards back and reach a certain point in the game before you move up a level? What I'm interested in is if I die, do my character comes back stronger because I'd killed multiple enemies before death, or do I start from the exact same point with the exact same character I'd started with the previous time?

b82REZ

I see. What about reaching higher level though, do you still reach them and your characters grow in strength even if you die, or do you need to get your blood shards back and reach a certain point in the game before you move up a level? What I'm interested in is if I die, do my character comes back stronger because I'd killed multiple enemies before death, or do I start from the exact same point with the exact same character I'd started with the previous time?
You won't level at all if you don't use souls/shards to level up.

Sarni

You won't level at all if you don't use souls/shards to level up.
I see. When's the point to use them? Can I take them and level up in the middle of a chapter, or do I have to reach certain point in the game?

Sorry about the abundance of questions but I've never played any of these before.

Sarni

When you reach a bonfire/checkpoint (I think they're called torches in Bloodborne).
I can see why people might find this game annoying then since checkpoints are supposed to be extremely scarce. :lol: I can also tell what's going to be most annoying for me too, not the fact that I'd die repeatedly but the fact that inevitably the time will come when I'm in the middle of a chapter and I get a call I need to answer, my girlfriend walks into the room and asks me something or I need to go to the bathroom or something, but cannot pause since the game won't allow me to, and I predictably lose everything because I die. People will hurt when I play it.

b82REZ

I can see why people might find this game annoying then since checkpoints are supposed to be extremely scarce. :lol:
I recommend you and anyone else on the fence listens to this week's Giant Bombcast. It's the first game they discuss and give an objective view of it and go over the first few hours.

kps88

Wish there was a way to download the patch before my copy arrives. Nothing worse than having to wait through a day one patch.

gza the genius

The load screen is indeed annoyingly long, it makes dying all the time that much more frustrating.

This next 8 hours of work is going to be hell, I'm already hooked despite being terrible at the game.

Bojan11

The load screen is indeed annoyingly long, it makes dying all the time that much more frustrating.

This next 8 hours of work is going to be hell, I'm already hooked despite being terrible at the game.
How long is the load screen?

bosnian_red

You get a certain amount of blood echoes when you kill an enemy, and and as you go through a level you get more and more. To level up you need to go back to the hone area, talk to the lady there and you level up there or spend them on weapons or upgrading weapons. Its not like just levelling up like most games, you have like 7-8 attributes that are all at a different level, and you pick which one to increase. My overall level is about 23 right now, but I mostly work on my strength and skill while leaving some things untouched.

Every time you level up, the amount of souls/echoes it takes to level up goes up. If you die without using your echoes, you have one chance to go and get them back from the spot you died or kill the enemy who picked them up (they're glowing) but if you don't then youre out of luck. There's certain items you can use to go back to the home base and keep all your souls, so if you die on the boss with 15k souls, you sprint in the boss area and teleport out and use then instead of fighting him over and over again as its a big risk to lose them.