Gaming Bloodborne (PS4)

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I'm still so tempted by it even though I'm probably too crap to play it. I'd trade Battlefield Hardline for it after I've finished single player (I'm nowhere near good enough to properly enjoy multiplayer in BF), it's going to annoy the hell out of me but it sounds like it's a very satisfying experience once you grasp it properly.

Bojan11

Fair enough, i'm not too worried about the difficulty to be honest. I'll just keep trying again and again if i regularly die, nothing all that bad about that!
Yeah, it's not too much about the difficulty. It's more about how the game punishes death. If you got a lot of time then it is well worth it.

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
The reviews have made me only the more eager to play this game. I'm fairly casual, building my own extension and a 3 year old, I only get to the ps around 9 if at all. Is this a final fantasy level of "putting time aside for" game?

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The reviews are amazing. Jim Sterling gave it a 10 and he's very harsh when it comes to reviews, very impressive so far.

JackXX

Sounds really good. It sucks that the UK release is later in the week why is that?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
:( Punishes death?
Not really, it punishes people who try rushing things and stupidity in the game. The first one, demons souls, did get harder the more you died though but you could also move the scale the other way if you beat bosses and stuff.

Sarni

Not really, it punishes people who try rushing things and stupidity in the game. The first one, demons souls, did get harder the more you died though but you could also move the scale the other way if you beat bosses and stuff.
Checkpoints are apparently pretty scarce in this, is it true? You can go 30 minutes behind easily if you die at the wrong point, I've heard. I'm still at crossroads regarding this, perhaps it's worth trying even if I'm not going to complete it. Plenty of people have apparently enjoyed Souls games without going to the finish.

The setting of this game is just so appealing to me, much more than previous games.

Bojan11

Checkpoints are apparently pretty scarce in this, is it true?
Yes and

Bloodborne punishes you more harshly than any of its predecessors too. If you weren’t a fan of dying in Dark Souls, you’re going to hate it even more here. When you die you lose all of your currency like you’d expect, but it’s no longer as simple as just going back to your place of death and grabbing up what’s left of your remains. Now enemies can actually absorb your essence, and you have to defeat them to get it back. If you died due to a careless mistake then that may not be a big deal, but if you were genuinely defeated, having to prevail the second time around can be a scary proposition.
I'd say that is a worse punishment for dying than previous souls games.

Castia

It's getting great review scores, I'm tempted to pick this up on Friday. Really good news for PS4, finally we get a decent exclusive.

Sarni

Yes and

Sounds plenty of fun (if I can call it that way) actually. It definitely appears to be the sort of game I'll sink hours into without much hope for completing it though. It has a 94 score on metacritic, it has to be great.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Well remember the people reviewing it are all very likely huge soul fans, else they'd have given the review to someone else (assuming they all have atleast 1 Souls fan).

It's definitely a great game. But that and the scores don't mean everyone is gonna love or even like it.

bosnian_red

Yes and

That only sucks if you're carrying around a stupid amount of souls which you should've spent anyway... Teaches you a lesson :p Though yes that is a much bigger punishment generally

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Well remember the people reviewing it are all very likely huge soul fans, else they'd have given the review to someone else (assuming they all have atleast 1 Souls fan).

It's definitely a great game. But that and the scores don't mean everyone is gonna love or even like it.
Way to ruin the party. Knew you'd have something to ruin it.

TheSamulator

classic sam. they love me, tbh
It's because it's not on the Xbone. If it were, he'd have his hand up his arse and be tugging himself off from the inside.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best

:lol: your inner fanboy sneaked out to say hello there

Alock1

:lol: your inner fanboy sneaked out to say hello there
Pssh. I think it's a fair point when someone says it must be a great game, it felt like I 'I must like it' way which just isn't true of these games. They wouldn't be so great if they were for everyone and more accessible. A few others have said it too in the last few days.

Red_Aaron

i genuinely didnt realise the uk release was not until friday.
is that the same for the digital version or will you be able to play the psn download earlier?

Alock1

You can always make a US account to get it early digitally though.

Bojan11

It's out in Europe apart from UK obviously tomorrow. Shops here should just break the release or dispatch copies early.

Bojan11

So what's the story? Well the bad news is quite simply that, despite implementing a 30fps cap, Bloodborne struggles to run at a smooth frame-rate. Across the breadth of our tests in both Central Yarnham and the Hunter's Dream hub area, genuine drops are infrequent, but a factor that drags performance down to brief lows of 24fps. Rolling through Havok-based destructible objects (which populate the world in incredible number this time), attacking too many townsfolk at once, and also the use of alpha transparencies are to blame. Essentially, it's the usual culprits for this series.

And yet something is awry when playing Bloodborne. Its sub-30fps frame-rate drops may be infrequent, but on close analysis the bigger issue here is in its frame-pacing. As it turns out, From Software's implementation of a 30fps cap means that, as promised, we do get an average refresh at that number near-constantly throughout Yarnham city. The problem? As we've seen with the launch builds of Need for Speed: Rivals and Destiny, an incorrect ordering of frames can cause a nasty stuttering to motion.

Though its 30fps average is technically correct, Bloodborne often produces two unique frames followed by two duplicates - rather than one after another - creating a perception of frame-rate drops throughout. It's not smooth in motion at all as a result, and frame-time updates swing erratically between 16ms and 66ms - and sometimes higher. It's an unfortunate oversight by From Software. However, we have seen both Bungie and EA Gothenburg react to the issue in each case, correcting their games soon after launch. We hope this will be the case for Bloodborne as well.

The obvious question is to what extent upgrading to an SSD might solve the issue. We gave this a test, swapping out the stock PS4 drive for a Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB SSD, and find that loading times are reduced by around 25 per cent overall.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-bloodborne-performance-analysis

Performance review by digital foundry. So loading times seem to be a issue. From say that they going to fix it. I haven't got a stock HDD, so I wonder how long the loading times will be for me.

bosnian_red

I keep dying, still haven't reached the first boss an hour or so in :lol:

Loading times aren't that bad really, at least not for me.

b82REZ

I keep dying, still haven't reached the first boss an hour or so in :lol:

Loading times aren't that bad really, at least not for me.
Is it true you can't bank your souls, or whatever they're called, until after you've beaten the first boss?

bosnian_red

Is it true you can't bank your souls, or whatever they're called, until after you've beaten the first boss?
You can't level up until after you meet the first boss, but you can buy stuff from one thing who sells a bit of armor, I think. I opened the shortcut to the lamp (replaces bonfires) but didn't think about buying stuff so ended up losing 7000 souls on the boss fight already instead of buying a few things :( After the first boss fight though you get the summoning stuff though.

Leg-End

Isn't that the same for every game? Like when Driveclub was getting shit on because the reviewers aren't great at semi-sim racers?

Come on man.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Please don't water it down for the masses. The ratings sound fricking awesome.

bosnian_red

I'm not sure how to summon people. Apparently you need insight (you get it from meeting bosses/beating them/doing stuff with npc's) and I have 1, and you get the beckoning bell after the first boss fight even if you die, but it's greyed out for me. Might be a server problem or something.

Edit: Actually I just remembered that I started it without updating since the update was like 2.5gb. That should do it.

Yeah I don't like this new summoning thing. You use up an insight when you ring the bell... Sitting here for a good 2 minutes now and haven't found anyone... Also don't have any insight anymore. So it's like it uses up an insight just to try and find somebody. Also if you don't kill the boss on that first try with someone else then you're shit out of luck I'm guessing.

Last edited:

Alock1

Isn't that the same for every game? Like when Driveclub was getting shit on because the reviewers aren't great at semi-sim racers?

Come on man.
Yeah, I've made the point before about how game reviews were always gonna lean to higher scores than the average person might think because generally the reviewers are assigned to it because they automatically like and enjoy that sort of thing. It's even more noticable because of all the franchises and sequels that we get these days. It's not something I've only said about Bloodborne, but I do think it's present here more so than most because the game is less accessible and more brutal than most. It's also basically in a genre of it's own really, so it's not even a 'if you like RPGs you'll love bloodborne' sort of thing.

I said Sunset Overdrive wasn't for everyone when I said it was my GOTY last year too. You guys take things way too personal, maybe it's your own fanboy getting out :smirk:

As for DriveClub, I think it's pretty average so far and still don't get the handling model, and I'd say I'm good at semi-sim/sim racers.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yes and

:lol: love that they're u making it even harder.

I'm about to finish dark souls 2 and personally I think what they've done is create one of the very best gaming systems of all time.

Leg-End

Yeah, I've made the point before about how game reviews were always gonna lean to higher scores than the average person might think because generally the reviewers are assigned to it because they automatically like and enjoy that sort of thing. It's even more noticable because of all the franchises and sequels that we get these days. It's not something I've only said about Bloodborne, but I do think it's present here more so than most because the game is less accessible and more brutal than most. It's also basically in a genre of it's own really, so it's not even a 'if you like RPGs you'll love bloodborne' sort of thing.

I said Sunset Overdrive wasn't for everyone when I said it was my GOTY last year too. You guys take things way too personal, maybe it's your own fanboy getting out :smirk:

As for DriveClub, I think it's pretty average so far and still don't get the handling model, and I'd say I'm good at semi-sim/sim racers.
:lol: