Blue Cards to be introduced which will send players to the Sin Bin

Okey

Mic up the refs. That’s all you need. Make it like rugby. FFS. It is not that hard. It will improve dramatically.

Rugby refs are much more intelligent it seems. I am sure football refs are not actually idiots but unless we hear the thought processes of these people, hard to understand and work on improving it.
This! Even when there are delays in rugby, you don't feel it cos you know exactly what's going on. Like you said, hard to think football selects out less intelligent people as referees. You just need the right procedures to get them doing the right things, at least most of the time. Even when the TMO in rugby says they can't change a Ref's decision for lack of evidence, it's clear to everyone. Blue cards will just give the Refs something else to screw up with the current set up.

90 + 5min

Not enough destroying football last two decades? Let's destroy it some more.

Ridiculous. People coming up with this nonsens shouldn't be allowed to work with football.

Chris-Red

So say there is a break developing and you do just enough to stop that break without seriously harming anyone that is now a blue. And then if you miss time a tackle slightly resulting in a yellow you’re gone.
That would be two yellows with the current rules surely already? From what I’ve read, blue is a yellow with a 10min absence from the match. So something you would have gotten a yellow for anyway.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Isnt that being so low mainly down to the fact you dominate possesion in most of your matches
Manchester United does not dominate possession in most of our matches

And yes, that is true that they dominate possession. Is there an acceptable number of fouls/minute out of possession? The stats do say that they commit the least amount of fouls per season. That's not a bad thing, unless you think only tactical fouls are bad.

Castia

This is something that could generally make me stop watching

they can’t get a grip on 2 cards this will make every match a farce

feck right off and take VAR with you

RedRocket9908

Presumably if a player is shown a Blue Card and sent to the sin bin the 10 minutes doesnt start until any VAR check is complete

Josep Dowling

Think it’s a great idea personally. I’ve been calling for sin bin when a player stops a counter attack. It’s worth more than a yellow to me. It’s basically Pep’s tactic defensively. Surround the player with the ball and bring him down.

Nickholas

Supports
Chelsea
What happens if you get a blue card when you already have a yellow card and what happens if you get two blue cards or a blue card followed by a yellow?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Atl Madrid will be playing most games with 6 men then.

baskinginthesun

Good idea in principle. It'll certainly make players rethink their fouling tactics. But, the implementation has to spot on. Which will be frustrating to say the least.

At least we can count on constant moaning about how that wasn't a cynical foul (even though it clearly was). Just one more talking point for the pundits.

El Jefe

Cynical fouls I’m in agreement with but if implemented badly could be a dreadful change.

I think it’s too harsh of a punishment for dissent and would give refs a bit too much power over a lack of accountability for poor refereeing. I don’t like that one at all.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
I would like some orange cards for players with silly haircuts

Sorry you have to head to the hair dresser before coming back onto the pitch

Stadjer

Another addition to ruin the game
You think so? To me those 'smart' or 'professional fouls' ruin part of the game for me. Those fouls that end a very promising attack but the offender will just get away with it. This whole topic is filled with Rodri remarks. People here were always complaining that Fernandinho got away with everything. But the same people are against this blue card idea? Some kind of reaction to this kind of defending is good in my opinion.

Getting a yellow card is a good trade for preventing a promising attack. Referees are usual more lenient when a player on a yellow fouls again, you hardly ever see a player get a second yellow for a professional foul or when that player had already picked up a yellow from an earlier professional foul. Atleast when a player is removed from the pitch, even if it is only for a short period off time, it does have an impact.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
You think so? To me those 'smart' or 'professional fouls' ruin part of the game for me. Those fouls that end a very promising attack but the offender will just get away with it. This whole topic is filled with Rodri remarks. People here were always complaining that Fernandinho got away with everything. But the same people are against this blue card idea? Some kind of reaction to this kind of defending is good in my opinion.

Getting a yellow card is a good trade for preventing a promising attack. Referees are usual more lenient when a player on a yellow fouls again, you hardly ever see a player get a second yellow for a professional foul or when that player had already picked up a yellow from an earlier professional foul. Atleast when a player is removed from the pitch, even if it is only for a short period off time, it does have an impact.
Exhibit B @Pogue Mahone

See how insane the concept of introducing a card related to a single tactic is ridiculous?? I don't think the tactical foul is akin to the backpass

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
The denial from FIFA that the introduction of a blue card is in the works should probably be included in thread title now.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Makes sense the color is blue because City is the garbage of football and full of sins.

frostbite

Not a good idea. We have seen countless discussions about a yellow that should have been a red, and a red that was too harsh. If they add a blue card, it will become a mess.

justboy68

This will just put more spotlight on the wildly inconsistent nature of bookings that we already see. Teams getting the rough end of the stick will just be even more fecked over. I'n already dreading our games with Michael Oliver enough as it is.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I'd be more agreeable to this if they included diving in this too.
Dives can appear as cynical fouls.
Minute 80, 2-1 down, trying to get back in it. Striker goes down in the box, ref issues blue card and game is all but dead.

Same day, same scenario but different teams involved and a penalty is awarded for the exact same "dive". 2-2 and a grandstand finish.

You know it will happen and everyone will think it happens to them more often than others.

Withnail

What happens if you get a blue card when you already have a yellow card and what happens if you get two blue cards or a blue card followed by a yellow?
Going off the exact same system, apart from the colour, they've implemented in Irish football and hurling a few years back, two of the blue bastards or a blue and a yellow are a red.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Nice idea in theory, but it will be the implementation that will be the issue. They really need to mic up the ref's like in other sports, as that will likely resolve a lot of the issues we are currently seeing with breaks in the game etc.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Mic up the refs. That’s all you need. Make it like rugby. FFS. It is not that hard. It will improve dramatically.

Rugby refs are much more intelligent it seems. I am sure football refs are not actually idiots but unless we hear the thought processes of these people, hard to understand and work on improving it.
Exactly. Mic them up and release the audio.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Interesting theory

You mentioned fouls, not tactical fouls

And I would argue that the majority of their tactical fouls don't occur once the counter occurs, which most people get mad about. The majority of their tactical fouls occur immediately they lose possession, attempting to recover the ball, before the counter is started. The article mentions this.

Plus unlike those advocating for blue cards, I don't automatically view a tactical foul as worse as a foul. That's an artificial differentiation.

A lot of what they do is cynical but it's hard to card, because then you'd have to card almost every foul by any team

"Counter already started, defender steps across attacker without playing the ball"... If that happens, you're getting a card automatically, 99.99% of the time, unless the ref didn't see it. That applies to City, United, other teams...

"Possession is lost, attacker challenges defender with the ball for the ball"... A foul is usually given. And there is a cynicism behind the foul of course, but generally speaking, refs will almost never give the yellow for that, unless excessive force was given.

City used to be great at the first item, with Fernandinho the major culprit. Then the league started cracking down on it, and City's struggles in 2019-20 were partly to them conceding more goals.

Today, they're great at the second option. As soon as they lose possession they use the first wave of pressure (headed by their front men) to try and win possession, even if that behavior may have the foul called. That delays the counter and allows their defensive shape to set, so it is cynical, but it's not as cynical as cutting down a midfielder running at their defense. And there is a desire to win the ball back (at all costs)
You’ve got a lot of interesting points in your comment but I’ll reply explicitly to the cynical foul point, admittedly I don’t actually advocate for the “blue” card because in my opinion it sounds fecking ridiculous and leaves too much open to interpretation. But I don’t digress from my original point, I think teams like City and Liverpool have made liberal use of “tactical fouls” to prevent attacks to aid them in defence over the last few years, knowing it would only result in a yellow card. Like I said, I am genuinely interested to see City and Liverpool’s approach now this tactic is supposedly being countered.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Just get rid of it all. Isn’t it strange that the more technology we get the worse the sport gets. The more new rules we get the football gets even more infuriating. The only thing I complained about years ago was the decisions in a match that happened bang bang and then forgotten. It’s also just another layer of pressure put upon the refs which in turn will just cause more angst amongst supporters. What sane person would even think of supporting this.

Lexicon Red Devil

Just get rid of it all. Isn’t it strange that the more technology we get the worse the sport gets. The more new rules we get the football gets even more infuriating. The only thing I complained about years ago was the decisions in a match that happened bang bang and then forgotten. It’s also just another layer of pressure put upon the refs which in turn will just cause more angst amongst supporters. What sane person would even think of supporting this.
You would say this as a Liverpool fan though. Fabinho was up there with Fernandinho as one of the most cynical players in the league when it came to stopping counter attacks. I still can't get over the fact that he didn't get a single red card in his time in England.