Music Bob Dylan

Kinky Melinky

I've been listening to his music a lot recently. Normally people get into it a lot earlier than I did but hey.....it's still great to hear his material.

Any fans out there ?

Where do think he started to decline as a writer ? I heard some of his 1970's work and I have to say it's not a patch on the 1960's. Even his voice changed which was quite odd and the music became very synty

Flying Fox

I've been listening to his music a lot recently. Normally people get into it a lot earlier than I did but hey.....it's still great to hear his material.

Any fans out there ?

Where do think he started to decline as a writer ? I heard some of his 1970's work and I have to say it's not a patch on the 1960's. Even his voice changed which was quite odd and the music became very synty

What a coincidence that forever young just came onto my ipod then.

I think I've got more of his stuff lying about, might have a look for it tomorrow.

sammymc

anyhoo...im not a massive dylan fan but of his 70s albums new morning*, blood on the tracks and desire are my faves and of course the basement tapes though that was mostly recorded in the 60s....Pat garrett and billy the kid is also well worth a listen.

*title track was me and the wifes 1st dance song at our wedding.

Its true that his 70s stuff isnt as strong as the sixties stuff as a whole...but then again whose would be.

CircusMonkey

I'd find it difficult to understand how any fan of music could not appreciate Dylan.
He wrote songs during his teens that most have been trying to emulate all their lives.
So many great songs to choose from, but i really love, It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding).

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
My favourite album of his is probably Infidels, even though he obviously has better work.

I guess that makes no sense.

Kinky Melinky

everyone else plays his songs better
"The times are a changing" and "Blowin in the Wind" have not been done better by anybody else in my humble opinion, and I'm sure there are tonnes of other songs he has written that remain unrivalled

I also think that it's down to the fact that he wrote so many incredible songs that it seems like others desired to cover his music. I think it bears incredible testimony to the man as a writer.

Woodzy

I just prefer Simon & Garfunkels, mainly because of the harmony. Adds something extra to the song.

But it's all down to opinion whatever way you look at it.

Kinky Melinky

I just prefer Simon & Garfunkels, mainly because of the harmony. Adds something extra to the song.

But it's all down to opinion whatever way you look at it.
Yeah definitely. Simon & Garfunkel would have brought a very gentle harmonised element to the song as only they can.

Decotron

A genius. Took me a while to appreciate him as one but in my defense I was quite young when I first listened to him.

Too many tracks/albums to mention them all but the one I go for first is usually Hard Rain, some fooking album.

narnar

Needs Help
I can't imagine that tangled up in blue could be played better than anybody else.

Northstand

anyhoo...im not a massive dylan fan but of his 70s albums new morning*, blood on the tracks and desire are my faves and of course the basement tapes though that was mostly recorded in the 60s....Pat garrett and billy the kid is also well worth a listen.

*title track was me and the wifes 1st dance song at our wedding.

Its true that his 70s stuff isnt as strong as the sixties stuff as a whole...but then again whose would be.
Yeah, those are all great albums.

Whilst it's true that in general Dylan's music has deteriorated over the years, he's still capable of some great music. Personally I loved Time out of Mind from 1997.

datura

Has anyone picked up the latest bootleg series - The Witmark Demos 1962-64? It's excellent, some early versions of many of his famous songs and alternative versions and a heap of unreleased songs too. Highly recommended if you like his early material.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
True musical genius. As a lyricist he was something else.

Maajid

Formerly Mad
Always been a poet first if you ask me. The lyrics always fill you with this mixture of melancholy, admiration and enlightenment that is really unprecedented in musical acts.

The_Red_Hope

He's undoubtedly my favourite musician of all time.

Just last week I started listening to all the albums(bootlegs included) again in chronological order, going over an album a week.

Care_de_Bobo

Probably my favourite artist ever, so many classic tracks and albums. Only Neil Young comes close as a song writer in my eyes. Highway 61, Blood on the Tracks and Blonde on Blonde are 3 of the best albums ever imo as well as my favourite Bring It All Back Home.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
I'm a massive Dylan fan. Pre-motorbike crash, his music was on a whole 'nother level to anyone else who came before him or after. His electric period was just perfect, Blonde on Blonde and Highway 61 Revisited are the two greatest rock albums of all time (forget Sgt Pepper, vastly overrated, not even The Beatles best album that title goes to Abbey Road.) Following the motorbike crash, he's been hugely inconsistant, John Wesley Harding was great, Nashville Skyline was fun, but between that and Blood On The Tracks a load of dross exists. (Mind you, I don't rate BOTT all too highly, some of the songs namely Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts are total duds)

Also, am I wierd for listening to Obviously 5 Believers and From A Buick 6 more than any other songs from the albums on which they appear? :nervous:

Great songwriter, but can't sing to save his life. :nono:
Toss argument bleated by people who haven't appreciated his best work, his voice is no worse than Alex Turner, Julian Casablanca or any other modern vocalist. It's not about his range of vocal ability, it's about the emotion he expresses when singing a song.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Bit of a sell out...In fact a massive sell out.

It's maybe not right to damn him for not speaking out on Ai WeiWei, or allowing the Chinese Authorities to censor his playlist, that's his choice and not ours, but he sold his political roots down the river a long time ago and is a bit of a prick for it IMO.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Bit of a sell out...In fact a massive sell out.

It's maybe not right to damn him for not speaking out on Ai WeiWei, or allowing the Chinese Authorities to censor his playlist, that's his choice and not ours, but he sold his political roots down the river a long time ago and is a bit of a prick for it IMO.
Reading his autobiography it all got a bit crazy, people turning up at his house, breaking and entering, demanding him to support political rallies, or in one case A.J. Webberman routing through his bins to find out the meaning of his songs. Keep in mind he had 4-5 kids to raise, it's only natural he got a little protective.