Music Bob Dylan

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
There's a difference between that, and willingly touring famously oppressive communist China, allowing the government to censor his set, and refusing to speak out on the extremely important and current issue of a government kidknapped/possibly killed artist while he's there, whilst knowing a lot of his fans there cared deeply about it.

Again, it's his choices, but it's mine to call him a sell out for it. I've got no problem with people selling out for money, but completely betraying the principles that made them famous is, what Stewart Lee would call, Elton's compromise.

I can't believe someone would change their ideals and values so dramatically...which leads me to postulate on the slight possibility it may have all been cynical to begin with.

SER19

There's a difference between that, and willingly touring famously oppressive communist China, allowing the government to censor his set, and refusing to speak out on the extremely important and current issue of a government kidknapped/possibly killed artist while he's there, whilst knowing a lot of his fans there cared deeply about it.

Again, it's his choices, but it's mine to call him a sell out for it. I've got no problem with people selling out for money, but completely betraying the principles that made them famous is, what Stewart Lee would call, Elton's compromise.

I can't believe someone would change their ideals and values so dramatically...which leads me to postulate on the slight possibility it may have all been cynical to begin with.
you do know that bob dylan is a songwriter and is not obliged to talk about that kind of thing. where you determined he refused to is beyond me.

Secondly, youre talking about a man thats near 70. He was politically driven in a lot of his early work but some of his stuff since then has been nothing but amazing songwriting, be it about love, friendship or dying. Who knows why he took a back seat in the other stuff. Maybe he got fecking sick of trying and seeing people continually kill eachother, genocide and general everyday badness towards eachother. He still votes, probably still has a huge political interest but he was playing a gig in china, that probably all it was to him. selling out is a complete exaggeration.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
It's amazing how much his stance changed from 1963 to 1966, in three years he went from singing Blowin' In The Wind, Times The Are A-Changin' to saying this...

PLAYBOY: Let's turn the question around: Why have you stopped composing and singing protest songs?

DYLAN: I've stopped composing and singing anything that has either a reason to be written or a motive to be sung. Don't get me wrong, now. "Protest" is not my word. I've never thought of myself as such. The word "protest," I think, was made up for people undergoing surgery. It's an amusement-park word. A normal person in his righteous mind would have to have the hiccups to pronounce it honestly. The word "message" strikes me as having a hernia-like sound It's just like the word "delicious." Also the word "marvelous." You know, the English can say "marvelous" pretty good. They can't say "raunchy" so good, though. Well, we each have our thing. Anyway, message songs, as everybody knows, are a drag. It's only college newspaper editors and single girls under 14 that could possibly have time for them.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Bit of a sell out...In fact a massive sell out.

It's maybe not right to damn him for not speaking out on Ai WeiWei, or allowing the Chinese Authorities to censor his playlist, that's his choice and not ours, but he sold his political roots down the river a long time ago and is a bit of a prick for it IMO.

None of which has anything much to do with his ability as a songwriter.

Ever met him? Whether he's a prick or not is subjective.

He's just a guy whose particularly good at writing songs, I find the sort of hero worship people engage in over famous people a bit pathetic, why would anyone give a shit about his political leanings or his personality, he's a songwriter, he's written some excellent and innovative music over decades.

Eyepopper

completely betraying the principles that made them famous is, what Stewart Lee would call, Elton's compromise.
Like say, going electirc when he'd made his name as a folk singer?

So basically you're the guy at the back of the hall shouting Judas, when he 'sold out' by plugging in an electric.

Ohhh Stewart Lees said it, oooh god, I'd better accept and adopt that then, he's clever and funny.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Bit of a sell out...In fact a massive sell out.

It's maybe not right to damn him for not speaking out on Ai WeiWei, or allowing the Chinese Authorities to censor his playlist, that's his choice and not ours, but he sold his political roots down the river a long time ago and is a bit of a prick for it IMO.
How is a sell out exactly?

The examples you give is a person exercising his own freedom of choice. What the hell has it got to do with selling out?

Virtuoso

Just seen this thread now and was listening to his first ever, self-titled album (considering listening to most of my Dylan collection today while working on essays etc). I have about 15-16 of his albums, I'm only 21 but have loved his music for years now. I agree with some of the opinions on here about the course of his career, I loved the '60s stuff and some of the '70s albums. Since then it's been hit and miss but he has admitted that himself and has said in interviews that he won't ever be able to repeat what he did in the '60s and understandably so.

I was fortunate enough to see him live a few years ago, purely to pay homage to the great man because as everyone knows, his live performances for a good few years are nothing compared to what they once were. Good to see quite a few Dylan fans on here too, by the way.

Eyepopper

The examples you give is a person exercising his own freedom of choice. What the hell has it got to do with selling out?
Because thats what Stewart Lee said, probably.

More importantly what's it got to do with his ability to write a good tune?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Great songwriter, but can't sing to save his life. :nono:
I like his vocals on 'Blowing in the Wind' .. not necessarily the range but just the way it complements the nature of the song itself, without it the song wouldn't be half as special. In general though, yes he's not amongst the best in that regard but he's reknowned for being a Musical Poet whose lyrics touched many rather than a superb voice which was unlike anything heard before.

Mockney

Ooh Goody!!..

you do know that bob dylan is a songwriter and is not obliged to talk about that kind of thing. where you determined he refused to is beyond me.
Of course he wasn't obliged to. Hence why I used the phrases "his choices" "maybe it's not right to" and "in my opinions"...It's nice to know you read my posts before jumping on them

However for a man who made his bones and earned much of his respect and status criticising the injustices of society, to cow tow to the Chinese regime in censorship, and ignore a plight that he had an opportunity to bring to a wider audience and which he would've known about, even at 70 (it's very big news) is, for me, selling out. It has little to do with his music (though a small part to do with their lyrics and their sincerity) which is mostly exemplary, but I'm allowed to have my opinions on his public choices (as you are of mine) as I, and I'm sure many of you, do on Bono for his philanthropy and tax evasion, Queen for breaking the SA Apartheid boycott, Gary Glitter for being a nasty piece of work and John Terry for being a cnut....And I'd think carefully about whether you've ever had an opinion on someone you don't know personally for their extra-curricular activities before you lambast me for having a contrary one on someone you particularly admire

I consider it a crying shame and a missed opportunity, as I would like anyone and everyone with a platform to bring injustice to the for to do so whenever possible. Dylan, with his profile and his track record, had such an opportunity, and while I've said it's his choice and it may be unfair, I think less of him for baulking at it.

Mock. He has made all the political statements that need to be made.

He does not have to restate them.
This is a ridiculous statement. All political statements are different for all times and climates, and the fact that he removed "Times They Are a Changing" from his set at the behest of the Chinese government shows that he probably does need to restate them, as they patently mean nothing to him anymore, if they ever did....And this is the point where the music does come into it, because whilst Dylan clearly owes me nothing, I find it hard to admire such songs as heartily in the knowledge that the artist either never meant them, or at the least, dismisses their importance these days.

My opinions.

Now...

Ever met him? Whether he's a prick or not is subjective.
Of course it is. I wouldn't dare to claim otherwise. I'm sure you have opinions on people outside of their professional capacity though?...And at times, that does reflect on their work, especially if it hints at their possible dishonesty and cynicism...Something that could very legitimately undermine a protest song supposedly repleat with heartfelt meaning..

He's just a guy whose particularly good at writing songs, I find the sort of hero worship people engage in over famous people a bit pathetic,
Indeed....A bit like a raft of people willing to jump on someone for their opinions merely because they're negative on a person they admire..I've never hero worshiped Dylan, it seems far more likely my detractors in this thread do more than me for a start..

why would anyone give a shit about his political leanings or his personality, he's a songwriter, he's written some excellent and innovative music over decades.
Well when he made his name and iconic status by being the voice of a disenfranchised generation, whether he actually gave a shit about it is a legitimate factor IMO. If Leonard Cohen turned round and said "Actually I'm well happy, I just wrote all those songs about suicide cos I knew there was a market for them" it'd affect his standing and people's opinions of some of those songs..Likewise if Bono suddenly turned around and said "You know what? feck Africa, I don't give a shit anymore" He'd get a shit load of slack for it. But Bono doesn't have the iconic status or clawing fanboism of Dylan.

Like say, going electirc when he'd made his name as a folk singer?

So basically you're the guy at the back of the hall shouting Judas, when he 'sold out' by plugging in an electric.
No not at all. That was a musical choice which I thought he was brave for making. It's not at all like not taking the chance to make even the smallest bit of difference politically when you're in a privilaged position to do so.

I would be critical of any musician who went to a country with a horrendous human rights record and notoriously oppressive government and allowed their set list to be censored ....As I'm sure quite a few would. Except as you yourself pointed out in your first line, "the hero worship people engage in is a bit pathetic" hence why criticism of an icon like Dylan over it will usually elicit such biased responses.

Ohhh Stewart Lees said it, oooh god, I'd better accept and adopt that then, he's clever and funny.
Oh look, there's the sarky, superior Popper I know.

As I said, I'd be critical of any artist who did what he did. But for a man who made his name by apparently being so principled and so desperate to affect change, it's a blindingly obvious, if not overly cliched example of selling out....How can it not be?

Again, take the blinkers off Dylan fans.

Because thats what Stewart Lee said, probably.
Oh look, there he is again.

Telling me it's ludicrous to hero worship and then ridiculing me childishly - 3 times in separate posts in this thread, implying a certain level of "bent-out-of-shapeness (or, erm, caring?) - for having a pop at someone you admire is hardly the most consistent argument Popps.

More importantly what's it got to do with his ability to write a good tune?
Nothing. But I haven't said it has. Though it does have something to do with his ability to write a heartfelt and meaningful song, or to take those he may have written in the past with the same reverence. Songs, especially Dylan ones, can, and do often go well beyond just their "tunes"....Toxic by Britany Spears is a good tune. It's not Hurricane though is it?

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
I don't think Dylan 'sold out'... I don't think he had anything to sell out from. He was always a fairly cynical songwriter who wrote about what would shift units. He never fully engaged with the civil rights movement.

The rights to Times They Are A Changin’ were first sold to accounting firm Coopers & Lybrand and then in 1996 to the Bank of Montreal.

As for the setlist thing, he very rarely played Blowin in the Wind or the Times They Are A’Changin over recent years anyway.

Brilliant songwriter, one of the greatest ever, but the protest singer mantle was always something thrust upon him rather than something he saw himself as.

Eyepopper

I don't think Dylan 'sold out'... I don't think he had anything to sell out from.
Exactly, anyone thats read Chronicles will be able to tell you he actively rejected the titles he was given by fans and the media, all he wanted to be was a song writer. He even went as far as deliberately trying to alienate his established fan base to discourage the sort of hero worship he was subjected to.

As for the setlist thing, he very rarely played Blowin in the Wind or the Times They Are A’Changin over recent years anyway.
I've seen him 8 times, he played blowin in the wind once and never the times are a changing.

Brilliant songwriter, one of the greatest ever, but the protest singer mantle was always something thrust upon him rather than something he saw himself as.
Bang on

Mockney

I agree with that...Hence why I find the emotional impact of a lot of his best work compromised. He's a fantastic writer though of course, which was never in doubt..But I still think it's a fair criticism to claim he sold out. He milked the protest angle and got a fanbase for it. He then dropped it when he didn't need it anymore. Whether his heart was ever in it or not, he swung whatever way would get him the most cash. That's the epitomie of selling out. Especially if you build up your reputation cynically to exploit it. You can say he "never wanted it"...But he clearly did while it was profitable.

And as I've said, I'd be critical of any artist who did what he did. He may not have played those songs much, but he did have his set vetted by the Authorities and stuck to it...And for someone with a raft of anti-war and anti-oppression songs, it's poor form in my opinion to cow tow in such away. And I'd say that of anyone with a profile, from Britney to Dylan.

MikeUpNorth

I agree with that...Hence why I find the emotional impact of a lot of his best work compromised. He's a fantastic writer though of course, which was never in doubt..But I still think it's a fair criticism to claim he sold out. He milked the protest angle and got a fanbase for it. He then dropped it when he didn't need it anymore. Whether his heart was ever in it or not, he swung whatever way would get him the most cash. That's the epitomie of selling out. Especially if you build up your reputation cynically to exploit it. You can say he "never wanted it"...But he clearly did while it was profitable.
He started out as a folk singer... singing folk songs. If you look at the history of folk music its largely about protest movements. By writing folk songs - and as such protest songs thematically - he was adopted as an idol by a movement he was never really that close to.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
Dylan removing himself from his 'message' songs may have something to do with him being intelligent enough to realise that when the CIA is potentially monitoring you it's best to back off before a car accident happens, or some 'drunk' in a bar shoots you with a government issued revolver.

Eyepopper

Can't be arsed getting into a long boring debate with you mockney, I've stuff to do.

I'll just address this

Well when he made his name and iconic status by being the voice of a disenfranchised generation, whether he actually gave a shit about it is a legitimate factor IMO.
He never made his name as this, he wanted to be a folk singer, this was just a bullshit title trust upon him and he actively sought to reject it, he just wanted to write songs.

I dont idolise him or any songwriter, there all just people like you and like me. I like his songs but that doesn't justify or fuel me having other expectations of him.

You 'think less of him', who cares? What did you think of him to begin with? I thought there was no hero worship going on here.

Eyepopper

Of course it is. I wouldn't dare to claim otherwise. I'm sure you have opinions on people outside of their professional capacity though?...And at times, that does reflect on their work, especially if it hints at their possible dishonesty and cynicism...Something that could very legitimately undermine a protest song supposedly repleat with heartfelt meaning..
I dont actually Mockney, celebrity is a construct, I dont make opinions based on my guesswork and subjective interpretation of what I see on the telly.

Telling me it's ludicrous to hero worship and then ridiculing me childishly - 3 times in separate posts in this thread, implying a certain level of "bent-out-of-shapeness (or, erm, caring?) - for having a pop at someone you admire is hardly the most consistent argument Popps.
The thing thats ridiculous is the fact that your seemingly well thought out, intellectual argument is based on so much inaccuracy. Slipping in a Stewart Leeism makes what you're basing your argument on no more accurate.

Songs, especially Dylan ones, can, and do often go well beyond just their "tunes"....Toxic by Britany Spears is a good tune. It's not Hurricane though is it?
They may well do, but you cant judge the composer based on the meaning a listener chooses to apply, force expectations on them based on that meaning, and then 'think less' of them when they reject those expectations.

Mockney

Can't be arsed getting into a long boring debate with you mockney, I've stuff to do.
Yet you posted 3 times in this thread before this round of convos, having a pop at me directly, and ridiculing such opinions sarcastically...Yet you apparently can't be arsed to get into an argument?.....Do you know nothing of me from here?

Starting to care yet Popps?

He never made his name as this, he wanted to be a folk singer, this was just a bullshit title trust upon him and he actively sought to reject it, he just wanted to write songs.
Which he did. And continued to do for a while whilst knowing such titles had been thrust on him, and actively courting them for a while...Good for him. Still makes him a sell out to abandon them when they start to annoy him IMO. There is a difference to me between a poet who means what he says, and one whose going through the motions. He's supremely talented. I'm not questioning that.

You 'think less of him', who cares?
You, seemingly. Hence your ongoing responses to my opinions....

What did you think of him to begin with? I thought there was no hero worship going on here.
I thought he was thoughtful socially conscious writer to begin with. It did lower my expectations of him to find he had little truck with what he was saying...I don't hate him for it, I just consider it a shame because he had so much potential to actually help "a Change things" in some small way...

MikeUpNorth

Fundamentally speaking it boils down to this: Writing about a view is not the same as endorsing it.

sammymc

He started out as a folk singer... singing folk songs. If you look at the history of folk music its largely about protest movements. By writing folk songs - and as such protest songs thematically - he was adopted as an idol by a movement he was never really that close to.
he started off as a rock n roller, folk music came later...his ambition when young was to be little richard, a love for woody guthrie came later.

Mockney

Fundamentally speaking it boils down to this: Writing about a view is not the same as endorsing it.
Indeed. But wilfully endorsing something because it's profitable can rightfully be looked at as cynical without it being dsimissed or whitewashed just because the songs themselves are good.

The whole argument, for me, boils down to a case of "does the better you are at something, mean the less criticism people can have for your motives?"

This, for me, is where the hero-worshiping comes in. No one would bat as much of an eye-lid at criticisms of Queen or Bono for example. Dylan? Different story. Mainly because of his iconic status, one he largely seem to engineer by endorsing something he didn't particularly care about.

sammymc

I thought he was thoughtful socially conscious writer to begin with. It did lower my expectations of him to find he had little truck with what he was saying...I don't hate him for it, I just consider it a shame because he had so much potential to actually help "a Change things" in some small way...
and he did, the fact that he stepped away when everyone decided to make him the figurehead for a movement I cant blame him for, he knew that if you get pigeonholed you die.

Mockney

and he did, the fact that he stepped away when everyone decided to make him the figurehead for a movement I cant blame him for, he knew that if you get pigeonholed you die.
I think there's a degree of excuse making in there....I actually quite admire him for stepping away at the time he did (certainly for his musical choices) but he has nothing to lose now, and won't be pigeon-holed in his 70s. He had a chance to do (what I, and others) would consider the right thing in China (possibly by not even going). He didn't. He went for the money IMO. And I'd be critical of anyone who did the same.

sammymc

Indeed. But wilfully endorsing something because it's profitable can rightfully be looked at as cynical without it being dsimissed or whitewashed just because the songs themselves are good.

The whole argument, for me, boils down to a case of "does the better you are at something, mean the less criticism people can have for your motives?"

This, for me, is where the hero-worshiping comes in. No one would bat as much of an eye-lid at criticisms of Queen or Bono for example. Dylan? Different story. Mainly because of his iconic status, one he largely seem to engineer by endorsing something he didn't particularly care about.
he did care about it, its just people like you were around at the time and wanted him to stay doing the one thing the whole time, he had to stop that, go electric to grow as a songwriter.

Its like getting fecked off with the beatles cause they sang about turning off your mind and floating downstream instead of I wanna hold your hand.

Eyepopper

Yet you posted 3 times in this thread before this round of convos, having a pop at me directly, and ridiculing such opinions sarcastically...Yet you apparently can't be arsed to get into an argument?.....Do you know nothing of me from here?

Starting to care yet Popps?
I cant be arsed getting into an argument with you mockney, they always go the same way, boring pedanticism.

Which he did. And continued to do for a while whilst knowing such titles had been thrust on him, and actively courting them for a while...Good for him. Still makes him a sell out to abandon them when they start to annoy him IMO. There is a difference to me between a poet who means what he says, and one whose going through the motions.
Thats a load of bullshit to, because he got famous through a certain image he should stick rigidly to that and not abandon it if it inhibits his artistic freedom? When all people want to hear is the new 'blowin in the wind' when you want to sing maggies farm?

You, seemingly. Hence your ongoing responses to my opinions....
The only thing I'm trying to point out are the inaccuracies your basing your judgemental, moralistic position on.

So all social commentators should be social activists? Again, thats you're expectation, based on nothing more than you're wish to see him in a certain way, then thinking less of him when he's actually his own person and doesn't act that way.

Go read Chronicles if you want to get some idea of him.

Mockney

he did care about it, its just people like you were around at the time and wanted him to stay doing the one thing the whole time
I wasn't around at the time...I'm in my mid-20s.

I might trawl back through all Poppers posts to find a list of "I can't be arsed"'s right before another long lists of spiels.

Eyepopper - Can't be arsed.

Eyepopper

You have absolutely no idea what his motives were.

Adzzz

Staff
This whole idea that Dylan sold out just doesn't ring true:

1.) He was turned up at a couple of the civils rights marches during the height of his fame
2.) He ridiculed the U.S Government in other songs, other than just the classic rock and folk staples we all know and love
3.) He knew the 60's would end eventually
4.) The CIA had him under surveillance

Just because he distanced himself from that past doesn't mean he undermines, frankly those protests songs were and are a product of their time, no matter how much they resonate in each decade afterwards Dylan obviously wants the emphasis on them to be the 60's.

Playing in China shows Dylan hasn't sold out, what did people expect of him? The fact that Bob Dylan, an icon of all that is wrong about China, played in China and shocks the world be completely adhering to their strict regime rules only serves to highlight the implicit control that government has over it's people. Let's pretend Dylan questioned the Chinese government in-front of that audience, apart from make a news story in the west we could rest assure that audience would probably have been arrested so they don't spread the ideology imparted upon them. Silence speaks louder than words, this is why Dylan removes himself from 'protest' songs, so you forget for a minute the man and hear the words.

Or something.

Mockney

I cant be arsed getting into an argument with you mockney, they always go the same way, boring pedanticism.
And yours generally tend to slant into boring personal assumptions and crass side swipes...But I'm glad you're taking the moral high ground on this one.

Thats a load of bullshit to, because he got famous through a certain image he should stick rigidly to that and not abandon it if it inhibits his artistic freedom? When all people want to hear is the new 'blowin in the wind' when you want to sing maggies farm?
That's not at all what I've been saying. At all.

So all social commentators should be social activists? Again, thats you're expectation, based on nothing more than you're wish to see him in a certain way
I don't wish to see him specifically in any way. I merely wish for people with the power to affect others actions to be more socially conscious and less money driven in general. Bob Dylan or otherwise.

Adzzz

Staff
I made about five typo's in that post, probably should wake up.

MikeUpNorth

If you think Dylan at 70 needs to tour China for the money with all the royalties he gets, then you must be mad.

Mockney

If you think Dylan at 70 needs to tour China for the money with all the royalties he gets, then you must be mad.
Needing and wanting are very different things. Very few people in the public eye "need" any more money at all...

As I've consistently said, I'd be critical of anyone in his position, as it goes against my own personal moral positon on places like China. Whether that's fair on Dylan or not I've already asserted to be debateable and probably not (in my very first post no less) and not anything I'm trying to set in stone...However if some people have a problem with that, it seems far more to me that it's because it's Bob Dylan, than because I'm being hideously unfair.

MikeUpNorth

You think we should have a cultural embargo regarding China?

Eyepopper

I wasn't around at the time...I'm in my mid-20s.

I might trawl back through all Poppers posts to find a list of "I can't be arsed"'s right before another long lists of spiels.

Eyepopper - Can't be arsed.

Which has nothing to do with sammy's point like, but hey lets not let that get in the way.

I could trawl back through all your posts to find a list of accusing others of taking the moral high ground when you're one of the most holier than thou posters on the site also, but guess what, I cant be arsed.