Music Bob Dylan

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I think bowing to a vetting of your set by an oppressive government and not taking the chance to mention a huge miscarridge of justice regarding a fellow artist is a huge missed opportunity.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
This is an intersting debate, let's not turn it into an argument about who is the bigger twat.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
It seems far more to me that it's because it's Bob Dylan, than because I'm being hideously unfair.
No its because you're basing your opinion on inaccuracies, the same inaccuracies that litter your posts in this thread.

But mockney couldn't be ill informed and wrong could he.... there must be another agenda.

MikeUpNorth

I think bowing to a vetting of your set by an oppressive government and not taking the chance to mention a huge miscarridge of justice regarding a fellow artist is a huge missed opportunity.
Perhaps, though I think China will likely become more liberal in a gradual way rather than in a revolutionary moment. I think a drip-drip influence of the better aspects of Western culture may be a good means to compliment the best aspects of Chinese culture.

It's hardly Queen going to South Africa is it?

Mockney

I could trawl back through all your posts to find a list of accusing others of taking the moral high ground when you're one of the most holier than thou posters on the site
In your opinion. I always try and stress to the utmost how my opinions are merely that, yet posters like you love to lambast me as being holier than though whilst consistently sniping at me and making personal assumptions...but that's all so much better apparently.

You had a go at me in this thread. Unprovoked, 3 times, before I'd even adressed you. And yet as always, it's you whose the bastion of decency and fairness and I whose the snot nosed little uppity brat.

Well done.

but guess what, I cant be arsed.
Course not.

No its because you're basing your opinion on inaccuracies, the same inaccuracies that litter your posts in this thread.

But mockney couldn't be ill informed and wrong could he.... there must be another agenda.
Eh? In MY VERY FIRST POST I said I could be being unfair on him and it's just my opinion...

But Popper's righteous indignation and superiority complex couldn't be misplaced could it?...No, there must be a mockney agenda.

have a horlicks or go for a walk or something.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Strange stuff.

So because he doesn't continue to try and be some pioneer of change which he used to at one point in time, that means he sold out? That's a weird concept of 'selling out' you have Mockney. You can't damn someone to stick to something they started just because they did it so well.

And Bono wouldn't be a sell out either if he one day gave up his Africa crusade. He'd just be making a choice to back down from a cause he did believe in but doesn't believe in continuing any longer for whatever reasons. If he said 'I'm Bono, the saviour of Africa, buy my albums (cheeky smile)' that would be closer to selling out.

Eyepopper

Which is repeated everytime any artist plays any song live on any form of broadcast medium isnt it?

Radio & TV stations get a large say what songs are played. Artists could spend their time preaching about all sorts of injustices, but maybe they just see themselves as singers and have no interest in getting involved in wider issues, particularly if they've done so in the past only for it to get out of hand.

Eyepopper

Eh? In MY VERY FIRST POST I said I could be being unfair on him and it's just my opinion...

But Popper's righteous indignation and superiority complex couldn't be misplaced could it?...No, there must be a mockney agenda.
Righteous indignation or superiority have nothing to do with it.

You gave your opinion, which, as has been pointed out, is unfair because its based on factual inaccuracies and assumption.

But rather than mockney being wrong (perish the thought) there must be something else going on 'oh its just because its Bob Dylan.'

You're very first post was
Bit of a sell out...In fact a massive sell out.

It's maybe not right to damn him for not speaking out on Ai WeiWei, or allowing the Chinese Authorities to censor his playlist, that's his choice and not ours, but he sold his political roots down the river a long time ago and is a bit of a prick for it IMO.
He never had any political roots, as has been pointed out.

So you're opinion is based on assumptions inaccuracies.

Rather than say, ah I didn't realise X,Y, or Z you just go on to try and justify your ill informed position.

Mockney

Righteous indignation or superiority have nothing to do with it.

You gave your opinion, which, as has been pointed out, is unfair because its based on factual inaccuracies and assumption.

But rather than mockney being wrong (perish the thought) there must be something else going on 'oh its just because its Bob Dylan.'
It's maybe not right to damn him for not speaking out on Ai WeiWei, or allowing the Chinese Authorities to censor his playlist, that's his choice and not ours
First post.

Where have I insinuated I cannot be wrong? If anything you're the one whose wrong about my assertions in this thread. Once again, YOU jump on the assumptive name calling bandwagon first, and then expect me to be a courteous and respectful in my replies..

You descend into petty point scoring, name calling, personality assumption, pop-phscho-analysis and all other forms of snipey bitchy shit whenever we argue far far quicker and more frequently than I do Popper.

And frankly, this whole "you're a holier than though self righteous blow hard Mockney" stuff is getting a little tired and incredibly hypocritical with it...I'm sure I'd struggle to find a thread where I've sniped at you first. I generally respect you as a poster and don't feel any need to. You seem to love it. Yet the agenda's on me apparently....

He never had any political roots, as has been pointed out.

So you're opinion is based on assumptions inaccuracies.

Rather than say, ah I didn't realise X,Y, or Z you just go on to try and justify your ill informed position.
Roots was inaccurate. I'm more than happy to admit that. However I believe he used the nature of the genre cynically, and exploited it for his own ends, and I find it a crying shame he abandons it when it could help create, or instigate some positive change in the world now. Once again (and I'm getting tired of this now) I may be being unfair on him, but it's the way I see it from my political and moral view point. Which is by no means set in stone nor being foisted on anyone as the correct all or nothing way of everything....unless you're reading "Mockney: My assumptions, By Eyepopper."

Again, you're the one insistent that I can't change my tac or am rigidly unflinching...You're misestimation of me knows no bounds. Well done.

Which is repeated everytime any artist plays any song live on any form of broadcast medium isnt it?
Is a completely irrelevant point. It's akin to saying "well he didn't do it, so I don't need to do it" or vice verse. I have a lot of respect (personally) for artists who do go out of their way (for self-aggrandising reasons or otherwise) for repeating such things whenever possible. I have less for those with the chance but don't. Especially if they have a huge amount of clout (and know they do) In this case, Bob Dylan.

Radio & TV stations get a large say what songs are played. Artists could spend their time preaching about all sorts of injustices, but maybe they just see themselves as singers and have no interest in getting involved in wider issues, particularly if they've done so in the past only for it to get out of hand.
Is a fair point. But still not at the root of the matter, which is my opinion (read that again - My opinion) that I find the whole scenario a shame for it's missed possibilities ..I'd consider any artist a sell out in such circumstances.

It's a shame you couldn't post politely and concisely like this initially, rather than cynically sniping at me repeatedly without any instigation or encitement....It's always nice when you take your own advice about the spastic need to insult people rather than engage in positive debate.

MikeUpNorth

Is a fair point. But still not at the root of the matter, which is my opinion (read that again - My opinion) that I find the whole scenario a shame for it's missed possibilities ..
I thought it was about him selling out?

I don't see why Dylan should be under any moral obligation to raise unrelated issues of oppression when in China, any more than he would be under a moral obligation to talk about issues of social injustice when in the UK. He's not doing a Bono or a Geldoff and trying to make out that he's changing the world; he's a musician who wanted to perform for the people of China.

Eyepopper

First post.

Where have I insinuated I cannot be wrong?
Here
A bit like a raft of people willing to jump on someone for their opinions merely because they're negative on a person they admire..
As has been said people jumped on you because you are basing your opinion on bullshit.

If anything you're the one whose wrong about my assertions in this thread. Once again, YOU jump on the assumptive name calling bandwagon first, and then expect me to be a courteous and respectful in my replies..
Where did I call you any names? I didn't assume anything, I questioned the content of your posts.

You descend into petty point scoring, name calling, personality assumption, pop-phscho-analysis and all other forms of snipey bitchy shit whenever we argue far far quicker and more frequently than I do Popper.
Again I dont think I've done any of this, unless you mean the Stewart Lee thing

And frankly, this whole "you're a holier than though self righteous blow hard Mockney" stuff is getting a little tired and incredibly hypocritical with it...I'm sure I'd struggle to find a thread where I've sniped at you first. I generally respect you as a poster and don't feel any need to. You seem to love it. Yet the agenda's on me apparently....
Your opinions were self righteous in this thread.

Here we go with me being a hypocrite again. I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, you made a comment based on an ill informed opinion and I questioned it. If you cant handle having your opinion called and questioned there's not much I can do about that.

Is a fair point. But still not at the root of the matter, which is my opinion (read that again - My opinion) that I find the whole scenario a shame for it's missed possibilities ..
But your initial point was that he's a major sell out and a prick...

It's a shame you couldn't post politely and concisely like this initially, rather than cynically sniping at me repeatedly without any instigation or encitement....It's always nice when you take your own advice about the spastic need to insult people rather than engage in positive debate.
Shwo me where I've insulted you in this thread.

Mockney

It is selling out. Unless he's hunky dory with the situation in China and it's authorities, cow towing to them is selling out. And cynically exploiting his back catalogue is selling out....Now, you have a great point that he never had anything to sell out from, but it depends how you view selling out. I also consider it writing things for an audience you don't particularly see as your won to be a degree of selling out...

I don't see why Dylan should be under any moral obligation to raise unrelated issues of oppression when in China
He isn't. And I haven't said he is. In fact I said he wasn't in my 2nd or 3rd posts.

Any more than he would be under a moral obligation to talk about issues of social injustice when in the UK. He's not doing a Bono and trying to make out he's changing the world, he's a musician who wanted to perform for the people of China.
Exceptional circumstances though. Ai Weiwei and Government censorship in China are bigger issues than everyday social injustice in the UK. IMO. Opportunity lost for someone who "could've" made a difference.

Eyepopper

I don't see why Dylan should be under any moral obligation to raise unrelated issues of oppression when in China, any more than he would be under a moral obligation to talk about issues of social injustice when in the UK. He's not doing a Bono or a Geldoff and trying to make out that he's changing the world; he's a musician who wanted to perform for the people of China.
Exactly... he's not and never has been a social activist, he's a singer.

Yet people applied labels to him in the past and then judged him based on those labels, he talks about it at length in Chronicles, and its exactly what Mockney has done here.

But hey, that couldn't be it, we're all wrong, and now its about the nature of debate and who was and wasn't insulted, not actually about the facts.

MikeUpNorth

It is selling out. Unless he's hunky dory with the situation in China and it's authorities, cow towing to them is selling out. And cynically exploiting his back catalogue is selling out....Now, you have a great point that he never had anything to sell out from, but it depends how you view selling out. I also consider it writing things for an audience you don't particularly see as your won to be a degree of selling out...
His ability to write songs which appeal to lots of different audiences is part of what makes him such an exceptional songwriter.

If anything the 'exploitation' of his back catalogue was done by those who used his songs as part of a movement he wasn't really part of.

He isn't. And I haven't said he is. In fact I said he wasn't in my 2nd or 3rd posts.
I don't see how it makes him a bit of a prick then.

Exceptional circumstances though. Ai Weiwei and Government censorship in China are bigger issues than everyday social injustice in the UK. IMO. Opportunity lost for someone who "could've" made a difference.
He's not a politician or diplomat, and shouldn't try to be. I hate this whole culture of assuming celebrities speak on our behalf... he's a musician! We elect people to speak on our behalf.

'Bob Dylan says no to China!' So what? Joe Bloggs says no to China, who cares.

Mockney

It's an opinion...Where is it set in stone? Do you take everything I say that doesn't have an IMO at the end as an arrogant Mockneyism?

As has been said people jumped on you because you are basing your opinion on bullshit.
Why is it bullshit? You told me I don't know his motivations, which is true, but neither do you, concretely or intimately, so where do you draw the line at what side of the argument is bullshit exactly?

Where did I call you any names? I didn't assume anything, I questioned the content of your posts.

Again I dont think I've done any of this, unless you mean the Stewart Lee thing

Show me where I've insulted you in this thread?

So basically you're the guy at the back of the hall shouting Judas, when he 'sold out' by plugging in an electric.

Ohhh Stewart Lees said it, oooh god, I'd better accept and adopt that then, he's clever and funny.
Pedantic & snipey. Completely irrelevant to the argument (Stewart Lee said nothing on Dylan, in fact I'm sure he probably loves him). Clearly intended to be a sarky swipe as my supposed motivations..

Because thats what Stewart Lee said, probably
Again, snipey & bitchy..Yes, the Stewart Leeisms, completely intended to display what a silly boy I was despite it having nothing to do with anything reagrding the argument at hand....yet you felt the need to post it twice.

To quote yourself, you have no idea what my motivations were...

You 'think less of him', who cares?
I cant be arsed getting into an argument with you mockney, they always go the same way, boring pedanticism.
Despite you starting with the dialogue with pedanticism.

I could trawl back through all your posts to find a list of accusing others of taking the moral high ground when you're one of the most holier than thou posters on the site also, but guess what, I cant be arsed.
And even your first post..

Ever met him? Whether he's a prick or not is subjective.
Begins with a snipe. ...Before then launching into 2 other posts ridiculing the completely unrelated use of a stewart lee quote before I'd even exchanged any words with you.

But hey, that couldn't be it, we're all wrong, and now its about the nature of debate and who was and wasn't insulted, not actually about the facts.
Which also goes for a host of other posts on this page insinuating (wrongly - as I've repeatedly pointed out) that I've claimed I can't possibly be wrong.....But hey, you keep saying it. A bit like you've decided you can't be wrong.

If you cant handle having your opinion called and questioned there's not much I can do about that.
I most definitely can. I'm hardly in such an argument with anyone else in this thread am I? Who've all managed to conduct themselves with the kind decent back and forth disagreements you (quite rightly) champion in any discussion on modding.

But your initial point was that he's a major sell out and a prick...
Prick was harsh. I'll happily admit that. I've no idea whether he's actually a prick or not.

Eyepopper

Why is it bullshit? You told me I don't know his motivations, which is true, but neither do you, so where do you draw the line at what side of the argument is bullshit exactly?
I've read his motivations, in his own words, you clearly haven't.

You called him a prick (based on whats now clearly a total misunderstanding of him) and object to being asked if you've ever met him.

There's no point getting into how you interpret my posts, not much I can do about it.

You were talking mostly bullshit, and people who seem to be a little bit better informed on Dylans career called you on it, rather than admit you didn't know what you were talking about you claimed that I was only acting that way because I hero worship the man.

Then when more people wade in and question your position it becomes a debate about me being 'snipey, and bitchy', thats you're reading of the words, up to you.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
No one outside of the Politburo can make a difference in China.

Mockney

I've read his motivations, in his own words, you clearly haven't.

You called him a prick (based on whats now clearly a total misunderstanding of him)
A knee-jerk opinion I'm happy to rectify or sooth...Though I consider the decision to play there, and allow his set to be vettod to be a (minorly) immoral thing for someone with such individual power to submit to. I'm more than happy to accept lots of people don't feel similarly though.

and object to being asked if you've ever met him.
Have you?....Reading his autobiography is not akin to it. Nor does it give you the definitive opinion on him. Though granted it gives you a better one.

There's no point getting into how you interpret my posts, not much I can do about it.
Well, there is. Especially since you're constantly at pains to tell me how I - and others - can go about making theirs better for discourse in any thread about modding or the like.

You were talking mostly bullshit, and people who seem to be a little bit better informed on Dylans career called you on it, rather than admit you didn't know what you were talking about you claimed that I was only acting that way because I hero worship the man.
I wasn't talking mostly bullshit. I was giving my opinions spurred on his recent trip to China, something which I personally feel was a bad choice, and then expanded the argument to include my beliefs that his early work was cynical and thus less impressive to me than if it had been heartfelt, thus to me a sell out, whilst being constantly at pains to point out how I was most likely being unfair on Dylan, but holding him to my own personal moral standards, which were in no way foisted on anyone as the correct way to go about things...all the while whilst you ridiculed me for having these opinons, and continually asserted that I was claiming I couldn't possibly be wrong, despite me saying numerous times I could be...I fail to see where, prick aside, I've been at all unreasonable. Except to you. Whose waded in and called everything I've said bullshit and not once accepted your assessments I'm being defiantly unflinching and never in the wrong are inaccurate or unfair.

Then when more people wade in and question your position it becomes a debate about me being 'snipey, and bitchy', thats you're reading of the words, up to you.
No, when more people waded in I responded to them in the general manner in which they responded to me....Exactly like I did with you.

No one outside of the Politburo can make a difference in China.
This is 99% true....But considering the level of content in China is somewhere near 80% due to the ridiculous amount of oppression foreign views are given, I'd say it's of significance and importance for anyone with a platform to do so, to spread them..Especially someone beyond reproach in said country..but I realise not everyone thinks this.

Eyepopper

Ok, you're right mockney.....

Dylans early work is cynical and would be far more impressive if he had refused to play China. I can picture the 22 year old Dylan now, cynically sitting down and thinking what will make him the big bucks, turning on the radio desperate to tap into the sound of the day and coming up with Blowin in the Wind, a stylistic tribute to Guthrie, I'd say he knew he'd be coining it in the minute he came up with it.

He probably read all those books of old european poetry and philosophy penniless in Greenwich village purely to come up with a formula lyric writing that would guarantee success rather than have any artistic merit.

The cynical prick.

Mockney

I don't think Dylan 'sold out'... I don't think he had anything to sell out from. He was always a fairly cynical songwriter who wrote about what would shift units. He never fully engaged with the civil rights movement.

The rights to Times They Are A Changin’ were first sold to accounting firm Coopers & Lybrand and then in 1996 to the Bank of Montreal.

As for the setlist thing, he very rarely played Blowin in the Wind or the Times They Are A’Changin over recent years anyway.

Brilliant songwriter, one of the greatest ever, but the protest singer mantle was always something thrust upon him rather than something he saw himself as.
Exactly, anyone thats read Chronicles will be able to tell you he actively rejected the titles he was given by fans and the media, all he wanted to be was a song writer. He even went as far as deliberately trying to alienate his established fan base to discourage the sort of hero worship he was subjected to.

Bang on

I've never once objected or disagreed with him being called a brilliant song writer, which was actually your only initial point in this thread (what difference does subjectively calling him a prick make to any of his tunes? - Answer: Nothing). Which I quickly agreed with, before your agenda turned to proving how I would never admit I was wrong about anything, despite admitting I could be in virtually every post. So claiming I've been shifting my position is a little rich Popps.

Eyepopper

I dont agree that his motivation in songwriting is to shift units whatsoever, if that was the case why release rock and even country albums? Why claim in chronicles to have actively tried to antagonise his audience?

Dylan is illustrated as a voice of a generation, a role he admitted to actively resisting over time. Throughout his career, he refused to confine to what was expected from him whether it involved politics, religion, or music.

He commented in a 2004 article by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution that interpretation of his songs had reached a new level.“I was sick of the way my lyrics had been extrapolated, their meaning subverted into polemics, and that I had been anointed the Big Bubbaof Rebellion, High Priest of Protest...”

After so much thought of attempting to do his own thing, Dylan has clearly taught society that trying rejecting society’s wants for your career is a hard task to avoid.

Eyepopper

My point, was challenging the basis for calling him a sell out and a prick, which seems to be based on you misunderstanding and misrepresentation of him and his motivations which is common, but which is dealt with in his autobiography.

MikeUpNorth

I dont agree that his motivation in songwriting is to shift units whatsoever, if that was the case why release rock and even country albums?
Country was the biggest selling genre at the time he wrote songs in that style. His religious phase was the most insincere of the lot.

To me it's pretty irrelevant. As I said earlier, you can write about views without endorsing them. There's no contradiction there.

Brophs

The One and Only
While all you Dylan fans are here, is it true he stopped playing 'The Hurricane' because it became apparent Reuben Carter wasn't innocent after all? Or is that an urban myth?

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Country was the biggest selling genre at the time he wrote songs in that style. His religious phase was the most insincere of the lot.

To me it's pretty irrelevant. As I said earlier, you can write about views without endorsing them. There's no contradiction there.
I'd be more in keeping with the reason for Nashville Skyline being that he wanted to prove to the folk nazi's was that he could do the whole dulcet toned country and John Wesley Harding was a reaction to th emove towards studio and effects that Sgt Peppers and Pet Sounds represented.

The other things to take into account are his natural contrary nature, the time his career has spanned, and the fashions therein; and his own life we all change our moods and even the general themes of our lives, and we do it without sitting down and planning it or betraying any previous thoughts or emotions. Perspective and contexts change.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
While all you Dylan fans are here, is it true he stopped playing 'The Hurricane' because it became apparent Reuben Carter wasn't innocent after all? Or is that an urban myth?
Who knows. Too much has be writen by people that aren't Bob Dylan. Dylan has become the property of commentators at this point. Decades of people trying to be explain a genius. People offended that he plugged in a guitar, people offended he spoke about his feelings and not the arms industry. We are at the point that an analysis of the analysis is needed. That or just listen to all his albums all the time and interpret them for yourself. Like one is supposed to.

edit - I know it took the sheen of the tune for me though

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
"The Hurricane" is vastly overrated anyhow, one of the worst songs on desire.

EDIT: Any love for Self Portrait in here? Listening to it now, "It hurts me too" is class.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
If the word ****** is banned can the verb "care" be as well? I'm getting a bit sick of it popping up repeatedly in every single 50-page e-gayness thread. Or maybe I'm just getting fed up with 50-page e-gayness threads in general, who knows.

Yeah, Dylan, quite good at writing the old songs.

SER19

Ooh Goody!!..

Of course he wasn't obliged to. Hence why I used the phrases "his choices" "maybe it's not right to" and "in my opinions"...It's nice to know you read my posts before jumping on them

However for a man who made his bones and earned much of his respect and status criticising the injustices of society, to cow tow to the Chinese regime in censorship, and ignore a plight that he had an opportunity to bring to a wider audience and which he would've known about, even at 70 (it's very big news) is, for me, selling out. It has little to do with his music (though a small part to do with their lyrics and their sincerity) which is mostly exemplary, but I'm allowed to have my opinions on his public choices (as you are of mine) as I, and I'm sure many of you, do on Bono for his philanthropy and tax evasion, Queen for breaking the SA Apartheid boycott, Gary Glitter for being a nasty piece of work and John Terry for being a cnut....And I'd think carefully about whether you've ever had an opinion on someone you don't know personally for their extra-curricular activities before you lambast me for having a contrary one on someone you particularly admire

I consider it a crying shame and a missed opportunity, as I would like anyone and everyone with a platform to bring injustice to the for to do so whenever possible. Dylan, with his profile and his track record, had such an opportunity, and while I've said it's his choice and it may be unfair, I think less of him for baulking at it.
I havent lambasted you really and i did read your post and id respond the very same way now. I think you have a greater idea of how politically motivated dylan is/ever was and putting a spin on it that he in some sense missed an opportunity to bring chinas problems to a wider audience is inaccurate in my opinion. He is behind all the attention and adulation an insanely private person, his last marriage going unknown until 8 years after his divorce. my point is, he might have very strong feelings about china but for all we know he's reached a point where he's beyond trying. he's been called a sell out far longer than a protest singer which to me suggests that protest was never his goal. he's the greatest lyricist of all time, and people in china got to see him play. the results of him picking his own set list would have most likely been inconsequential in the grand scheme of things.

SER19

My point, was challenging the basis for calling him a sell out and a prick, which seems to be based on you misunderstanding and misrepresentation of him and his motivations which is common, but which is dealt with in his autobiography.
exactly. also for anyone to say that he wrote to shift units is absolutely amazing. i find the reason i know so few people that appreciate dylan is that they find him too cryptic, too hard to get into and too uncontemporary, its almost been a burdensome reputation.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Dylan always said what he felt in his songs and moved on. He did not paint himself into a corner or allow his audience to define him.

His Christian albums for example stand out as some of the greatest such work in that genre. That does not mean he needs to keep putting out Christian albums or he has gone back on his beliefs.

People have spent a lifetime trying to understand and define him and failed.

I just accept the great poet, singer and songwriter for what he is. He never ceases to surprise..thats for sure.

He just called himself a song and dance man.

aye...that he is...and so much more.

A hard rain is gonna fall.....a prophet as well

Only a pawn in their game. For me that one song just encapsulates what is going on in politics in this country.

He is still relevant. Thats what matters.

just my opinion of course.

The_Red_Hope

Ok, so you are Bob Dylan. You are 70 years old. You have in a career spanning almost 50 years been called a prophet, a messiah, the voice of generation, a sell-out, Judas, etc etc. You have been labelled every which way, people have tried to claim you for their own and hated you when you resisted. You've been able to adapt and evolve as a musician whilst trying your hand at almost every genre possible and been successful at it.

So now at this late age, when he's touring a country that he has never been to, allegations of editing his setlist or removing a song that he probably would never have played anyway and using that as the basis of labelling him a sell-out is just wrong. People even went mental when he did the underwear commercial. FFS, the man can do what he wants, he owes people shit besides the music he puts out. Maybe he just said feck it, I'm here, these Chinese folks have been waiting forever for me to perform here, I'm just gonna do it. Just like everything else he has ever done, we over analyze his lyrics too much, his actions too much. He's a musician, a song-writer and a poet, nothing more.

peterstorey

Specialist In Failure
'It's for the Arsenal and we're going to Wembley'
There's a bit of a modern obsession about biography which is a bit of a high-falutin' literary celeb-type phenomenon in my view. I'm not that bothered about how nice Miles Davis was/wasn't or Bob Dylan's political hygiene - just listen to their work, that's what matters.

The_Red_Hope

Also to clarify the setlist controversy -

Dylan sang 'Times they are a-changing' 3 times in 2010 in 101 concerts.
And 4 times in 98 concerts in 2009.

He simply does not perform that song lately.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck

First one is one of my favourite bootlegs, second is the opening song from Blonde On Blonde

Virtuoso

Ok, so you are Bob Dylan. You are 70 years old. You have in a career spanning almost 50 years been called a prophet, a messiah, the voice of generation, a sell-out, Judas, etc etc. You have been labelled every which way, people have tried to claim you for their own and hated you when you resisted. You've been able to adapt and evolve as a musician whilst trying your hand at almost every genre possible and been successful at it.

So now at this late age, when he's touring a country that he has never been to, allegations of editing his setlist or removing a song that he probably would never have played anyway and using that as the basis of labelling him a sell-out is just wrong. People even went mental when he did the underwear commercial. FFS, the man can do what he wants, he owes people shit besides the music he puts out. Maybe he just said feck it, I'm here, these Chinese folks have been waiting forever for me to perform here, I'm just gonna do it. Just like everything else he has ever done, we over analyze his lyrics too much, his actions too much. He's a musician, a song-writer and a poet, nothing more.
I completely agree with what you've said, very good post.

Also, must address the bit in bold which actually has a hilarious back story...

In a San Francisco press conference in 1965 (1:35 in the video) -

39 years later in an advert with Adriana Lima for Victoria's Secret, the prophecy is fulfilled -

The_Red_Hope

I completely agree with what you've said, very good post.

Also, must address the bit in bold which actually has a hilarious back story...

In a San Francisco press conference in 1965 (1:35 in the video) -

I love that interview, and there are few other very similar ones where he is high as a kite and these journos are all over him, asking him all these prententious questions and he doesn't give even one straight answer. This one though, it almost answers everything that was brought up in this thread(46 years ago).

Journo - "Could you label yourself and perhaps tell us what your role is?"
Dylan - "My role is to just stay here as long as I can.”