Music Bob Dylan

The_Red_Hope

The whole Pennebaker film is like that, though he's a bit more of a spiky cnut by then (though obviously not a megacunt as in the last clip).
Speaking of being a megacunt, he never really topped this brutal beating he gave that hapless reporter from The Times. Ouch. He really did hate reporters.

The_Red_Hope

Something is happening and you don't know what it is. Do you Mr Jones?
You raise up your head
And you ask, "Is this where it is ?"
And somebody points to you and says
"It's his"
And you says, "What's mine ?"
And somebody else says, "Where what is ?"
And you say, "Oh my God
Am I here all alone ?"
:) Anyone who can write stuff like this to spite someone is not to be messed with.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
The king of the Philistines his soldiers to save
Puts jawbones on their tombstones and flatters their graves
Puts the pied pipers in prison and fattens the slaves
Then sends them out to the jungle

SER19

worth being posted given the cliched dylan bashing in this thread:

"Allow me to clarify a couple of things about this so-called China controversy which has been going on for over a year. First of all, we were never denied permission to play in China. This was all drummed up by a Chinese promoter who was trying to get me to come there after playing Japan and Korea. My guess is that the guy printed up tickets and made promises to certain groups without any agreements being made. We had no intention of playing China at that time, and when it didn't happen most likely the promoter had to save face by issuing statements that the Chinese Ministry had refused permission for me to play there to get himself off the hook. If anybody had bothered to check with the Chinese authorities, it would have been clear that the Chinese authorities were unaware of the whole thing.

We did go there this year under a different promoter. According to Mojo magazine the concerts were attended mostly by ex-pats and there were a lot of empty seats. Not true. If anybody wants to check with any of the concert-goers they will see that it was mostly Chinese young people that came. Very few ex-pats if any. The ex-pats were mostly in Hong Kong not Beijing. Out of 13,000 seats we sold about 12,000 of them, and the rest of the tickets were given away to orphanages. The Chinese press did tout me as a sixties icon, however, and posted my picture all over the place with Joan Baez, Che Guevara, Jack Kerouac and Allen Ginsberg. The concert attendees probably wouldn't have known about any of those people. Regardless, they responded enthusiastically to the songs on my last 4 or 5 records. Ask anyone who was there. They were young and my feeling was that they wouldn't have known my early songs anyway.

As far as censorship goes, the Chinese government had asked for the names of the songs that I would be playing. There's no logical answer to that, so we sent them the set lists from the previous 3 months. If there were any songs, verses or lines censored, nobody ever told me about it and we played all the songs that we intended to play.

Everybody knows by now that there's a gazillion books on me either out or coming out in the near future. So I'm encouraging anybody who's ever met me, heard me or even seen me, to get in on the action and scribble their own book. You never know, somebody might have a great book in them."

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Surprised this thread wasn't bumped on Tuesday. Belated congrats on the big seven-oh, Mr. Bob.

Anyhow; watching Bound for Glory now, a so far very good film about Woody Guthrie. An hour 50 mins in, no signs of him going bonkers yet. He better hurry up.

Lynk

Happy birthday Bob! Greatest song writer to have ever lived.

sidsutton

Speaking of being a megacunt, he never really topped this brutal beating he gave that hapless reporter from The Times. Ouch. He really did hate reporters.
I wouldn't call that a brutal beating. He was barely making any sense.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Thanks for that, Lynk. Best version of I Ain't Got No Home I've ever heard.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Something is happening and you don't know what it is. Do you Mr Jones?
Just finished listening to Highway 61 Revisited after not having heard Dylan in a while... absolutely stunning album. I always rated Freewheelin', Blonde on Blonde and Bringing It All Back Home higher, but maybe Highway is his best?

MikeUpNorth

Just listening to Bringing It All Back Home now... it actually might be this one, though there is perhaps more filler.

Lynk

Just finished listening to Highway 61 Revisited after not having heard Dylan in a while... absolutely stunning album. I always rated Freewheelin', Blonde on Blonde and Bringing It All Back Home higher, but maybe Highway is his best?
Fantastic album, and for about 2-3 years I thought it was his best...but there is something about Blonde On Blonde. It grows each time I hear it, and I discover something new.
Regardless, what an artist, from 1962-66 no one has ever topped that period. He was on a different planet, and was being booed off stage while doing it.

EDIT: On my recent trip to London I got a vinyl of Highway 61. 42 pounds in a HMV near piccadilly circus. Nearly twice what I paid for my shoes.

Lynk

Only in Manchester.
Haha... he got a bit of stick at the royal albert hall aswell, along with his Austrailian shows. ;)

While talking about Highway 61, I had another look at eat the document. It's almost easy to forget about how good he was when it came to improvised songs.

Blood on the Tracks!
I love Dylan, but I never got into Blood On The Tracks. It kind of went tits up after "Meet Me In The Morning"

MikeUpNorth

Has anyone else ever released two such amazing albums within a 6 month period as 'Bringing It All Back Home' and 'Highway 61 Revisited'? It is actually mental that someone can record two masterpieces like those in half a year.

Brophs

The One and Only
Let's be honest, if Bob was trying to break through now he wouldn't make it past the public audition stage of the X-Factor and that for me is why he falls short of greatness.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Let's be honest, if Bob was trying to break through now he wouldn't make it past the public audition stage of the X-Factor and that for me is why he falls short of greatness.
Yep. Let's face it, if he can't sing live like Cher Lloyd does, he's useless.