Boehly is going to ruin Chelsea (hopefully)

RedDevilRoshi

This is why I hope we don’t get American owners. He’s ruining that club. Doesn’t seem to have a single clue.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
7 years plan can't fail if the club doesn't exist anymore.

drmuji

This is why I hope we don’t get American owners. He’s ruining that club. Doesn’t seem to have a single clue.
You are right. The usual models of American businesses are quite different to Europeans. For example, the way the whole United situation with glazers is, its a relatively common situation in American business. You buy something with the help of the bank, you earn money while keep on paying the debts and when a good opportunity arises, you sell off and move on to next one

Threesus

What I don’t understand is, if Boehly had already earmarked potter as the Chelsea coach, he should have not gone big in the summer, fired tuchel, and give potter some time to evaluate the squad and take his inputs on what the team needs and rectify it in the next summer window.

Instead he spent 300M and expected potter to take the step up very quickly. If you spend that much, the scrutiny is going to be much higher. Chelsea fans have also become used to sack and win culture, so I don’t know if they will have the patience for potter.

He looks like moyes And ole during the end of their tenure here. The jobs at big clubs can take a lot out of you, and if you are not prepared, it’s curtains.

bringbackbebe

What I don’t understand is, if Boehly had already earmarked potter as the Chelsea coach, he should have not gone big in the summer, fired tuchel, and give potter some time to evaluate the squad and take his inputs on what the team needs and rectify it in the next summer window.

Instead he spent 300M and expected potter to take the step up very quickly. If you spend that much, the scrutiny is going to be much higher. Chelsea fans have also become used to sack and win culture, so I don’t know if they will have the patience for potter.

He looks like moyes And ole during the end of their tenure here. The jobs at big clubs can take a lot out of you, and if you are not prepared, it’s curtains.
Change in CEO & manager at the same time - they are us in that Woody-Moyes season! Soon the good ones will leave & they'll be left with the rot they brought in to clear things up.

Contracts ending:
2023: Kante, Thiago Silva, Jorginho
2024: Kovacic, Pulisic, Mount, Azpelicueta, Loftus-Cheek (1 year option)

They're going to spend another 400m over the next 2 seasons replacing some of these players.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He is Woodward incarnate

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Could not see that he did already have a great manager. But that's what happens if you let your ego ride you.

Member 125398

It's all part of the plan. They're collecting data on defeats in order to be able to avoid them in the future.

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
The entire club, from Boehly to the Chelsea fanbase are obsessed with signings.

Chelsea have made signings, multiple in recent windows, they simply need to allow the manager to try and put it together and give him the power to remove existing players. I for one dont believe Potter pushed for Felix.

They need to slow down and start trimming the squad and clearing the deck, not adding to it. They have so much deadwood, some of it added recently (PEA for one).

Ole'sgunnarwin

We've been very guilty of it since SAF in the last 10 years. But I've never seen a club destroy itself in such a short period of time. The club has overspend on pure mediocrity, buying too many players in the same position, players losing confidence as well as fans. I also feel that there is a severe lack of talent within their squad. Fofana has played 2 matches and he was like 70 million. He was an unused sub last night. How that Gallagher is getting so many minutes is baffling. It just seems like a total mess.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
You are right. The usual models of American businesses are quite different to Europeans. For example, the way the whole United situation with glazers is, its a relatively common situation in American business. You buy something with the help of the bank, you earn money while keep on paying the debts and when a good opportunity arises, you sell off and move on to next one
Isn't that how buying/capitalising most businesses work across the world - in the corporate world anyway? Unless you're referring specifically here to the ownership/acquisition of sports clubs/franchises across USA and Europe?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Change in CEO & manager at the same time - they are us in that Woody-Moyes season! Soon the good ones will leave & they'll be left with the rot they brought in to clear things up.

Contracts ending:
2023: Kante, Thiago Silva, Jorginho
2024: Kovacic, Pulisic, Mount, Azpelicueta, Loftus-Cheek (1 year option)

They're going to spend another 400m over the next 2 seasons replacing some of these players.
Depends on what they have left in that budget that he promised before the take over. I suspect once that’s done things will be very different when it comes to buying. I suspect that’s why they are focusing on young players

mctrials23

I think people are revelling in Chelseas demise a little too much and a little too early. Their squad is absolutely gimped with injuries and if we had the same injuries we would be mid-table as well.

cyberman

I think people are revelling in Chelseas demise a little too much and a little too early. Their squad is absolutely gimped with injuries and if we had the same injuries we would be mid-table as well.
They were shit before the injuries. the injuries are a recent development

Mainoldo

That’s not the argument he’s making.

Mike Smalling

No matter the reasons, I can enjoy Chelsea being in 10th. Even if injuries are contributing to the problem, it's clear that their transfers in the summer have largely been horrendous business, and will hurt them after this season as well.

mctrials23

They were shit before the injuries. the injuries are a recent development
I'm not sure they were. They have had some key injures for a long time. I can't remember the last time Chilwell and James were fit for any real amount of time. Kante hasn't been available all season. Chelsea have been at their best when they have Chilwell and James in form in recent years and when those two are out they are half the side.

HookedOnAPhelan

I'm not sure they were. They have had some key injures for a long time. I can't remember the last time Chilwell and James were fit for any real amount of time. Kante hasn't been available all season. Chelsea have been at their best when they have Chilwell and James in form in recent years and when those two are out they are half the side.
True, but they do have big challenges apart from the injuries. Rudiger was their best defender and he’s gone, Silva is old as feck and will be gone within a year and a half at the latest, Azpi is finished, Kantè is an aging crock, Jorginho is getting on.That’s a hell of a lot of quality, experience and leadership needing to be replaced, and they’ve done a piss poor job of it so far. They pretty much need an entire new team (and manager) despite all their spending.

Son

Chelsea are just the English AC Milan. Once the funding goes and they are on a fair playing field the game is up for them in terms of big trophies.

They had a great run with the free money cheat like Milan did but compared to United & Liverpool they just aren’t the same level of club.

Red4Ever

Cork; home of Cantwell, Irwin, Keane and Vidic-wel
both of these full backs played v leeds
Where they lost 3-0
It was as bad as our game v Brentford but the media largely overlooked it as a blip

even under Tuchel chelsea have been having lots of alarming results for a couple of years.
The big personalities like Tiago silva etc often save them but there’s a lot less of them around the club these days

cyberman

But those two are injury prone and they brought in a 60m wingback that Potter developed anyway!
It’s like United fans crying about Martial being injured. You can’t plan around them and Potter would have known about that before taking charge.
Look at how lesser managers are doing with lesser squads even with the injuries.
Were these players injured when the squad got Tuchel sacked and had their horrible run after Christmas?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea are just the English AC Milan. Once the funding goes and they are on a fair playing field the game is up for them in terms of big trophies.
Apart from the fact they've literally just won the league.

ForlansHair

They had by far the easiest run of games in the first quarter of the season, didn’t take advantage of it, dropped far too many points.

Now they have lots of injuries but they’re also just playing better sides, and I don’t think they’re actually playing that different to when they had less injuries. Losing to 1st,
2nd, 3rd, 6th, 8th, drawing with 4th and 9th is what an average side do and it’s what they are. They will probably lose to Liverpool as well when they finally get round to playing them.

They were extremely fortunate to beat Villa and West Ham, pummelled by Leeds, lost to Southampton. They’ve just been average all season injuries or no injuries.

With the new more stringent FFP rules coming in it is going to take a while to unwind all the damage caused by the scattergun summer. Signing that many players for such high fees with no plan was a disaster and serious questions should be levied at Boehly and co for that. I also doubt they’ll be able to sell as well as they have done in the past, they may be forced into selling youth products they don’t really want to given these will produce the biggest in the books profits, and most of their flops are stuck on longer contracts with higher book values.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah. Since November 2021 Chelsea have played 70 competitive matches and James-Chilwell have started together as a full-back or wing-back pairing exactly once which was the season opener against Everton (Chilwell's first start after ACL). Add to that Kante being out for the majority of the time as well and we're looking at a minimum 2 or 3 of our most important player missing simultaneously going back more than a year.

Not ideal in the slightest and without a doubt a major reason for our terrible form, but not our only problem either. With everyone fit we still wouldn't be challenging for the title and be at best locked in a battle for top-4 but it certainly wouldn't be as bad as now.

True, but they do have big challenges apart from the injuries. Rudiger was their best defender and he’s gone, Silva is old as feck and will be gone within a year and a half at the latest, Azpi is finished, Kantè is an aging crock, Jorginho is getting on.That’s a hell of a lot of quality, experience and leadership needing to be replaced, and they’ve done a piss poor job of it so far. They pretty much need an entire new team (and manager) despite all their spending.
Also true. We have a lot of previously very important players and dressing room leaders on their last legs and that's a big problem, solving which is not going to be easy nor cheap.

I wouldn't say we need an 'entire new team' but some of what we need are among the most important parts:

- at the back a decent alternative for James and maybe (still) another CB when Silva goes but personally I'd just go with Colwill for the latter. Goalies are a bit of a question mark with Mendy's form dropping so much and Kepa being Kepa.

- in midfield we need a big rebuild. Jorginho has to be replaced and so does Kante as far as being a key player goes. Kante might still end up staying but I very much doubt we can count on him for more than 15-20 games a season going forwards so a big replacement is needed. This is the most important area for me.

- in attack I would bin quite a few players if possible, ie. Havertz, Ziyech, Pulisic, Aubameyang. To replace them we already have Nkunku coming in and in addition to that maybe get a couple of good options from the market and then see what the likes of CHO, Datro Fofana, Omari Hutchinson can do.

So yeah in order of personal preference: 2 quality midfielders, an alternative option at RB, a couple of forwards/wingers and lastly CB/GK if funds are still available and there are good enough players worth targeting. That's 5-7 players, some of which can be filled with players already at the club but not currently a part of the playing squad.

yamo123x

Boehly is 100% to blame
He comes across arrogant and likes to be very prominent, a style of owner we all hope we can avoid.
He is throwing money at the team no doubt but they are his signings. not the Manager. Do feel for Potter, seems like a good guy but everything is disjointed

crossy1686

career ending
No it isn't, some of the big names that are out injured are also out of contract at the end of the season and they're expected not to be offered new deals because they need a rebuild. and they haven't been putting in performances anyway. The reason Chelsea are spending with reckless abandon is because they're trying to expedite the rebuild, and the truth is that all these players they've brought in, and the manager, just aren't good enough. They were signed because they were available with zero plan.

Pintu

The last time we had close to a fully fit squad we destroyed the Serie A Champions, twice!
Milan didn't have a fit squad for the first leg. And the second leg (again without their only competent keeper) was ruined by a penalty and red card decision early on.

And they may be the Serie A Champions, but they are by no means the best team in Italy (they probably weren't last year either, but they had Maignan available more often). Now they sit on 3:d, seven points behind Napoli and have just been knocked out of the Coppa on their home turf by a mediocre 10-men Torino side...

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Milan didn't have a fit squad for the first leg.
Okay fair enough but then if we're going to down that route we've got mitigation for pretty much every game since.

Milan didn't have a fit squad for the first leg. And the second leg (again without their only competent keeper) was ruined by a penalty and red card decision early on.
A penalty we got because we exploited Pioli having Theo Hernandez drifting into the middle in possesion so when we turned it over quickly and set Mount on his way Tomori was totally exposed.

Pintu

Okay fair enough but then if we're going to down that route we've got mitigation for pretty much every game since.
Mitigating for the big games (against City or any big 6 opposition)...

I think it's mitigating for Milan when they play a richer side than them (like Chelsea) but not when they lose at home to 10- men Torino or give up a 2-0 lead in the last 5 minutes at home against Roma... They are supposed to see out these games, despite the absences... Pioli has been quite poor this season.

A penalty we got because we exploited Pioli having Theo Hernandez drifting into the middle in possesion so when we turned it over quickly and set Mount on his way Tomori was totally exposed.
The red card ruined the game, not the penalty... You will not get calls like that often in the PL (Even though Attwell gifted you a soft pen against us).

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
If I was a chelsea fan I'd be worried about this unhinged bloke.
Unhinged? He has made mistakes but there’s nothing he has done that suggests he is unhinged. I’d actually suggest this chaotic approach this far is giving other fans more concern than our own since there’s still a lot more questions than answers at this point. I’m enjoying the confusion, right down to the dumbest and most ignorant posts.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Unhinged? He has made mistakes but there’s nothing he has done that suggests he is unhinged. I’d actually suggest this chaotic approach this far is giving other fans more concern than our own since there’s still a lot more questions than answers at this point. I’m enjoying the confusion, right down to the dumbest and most ignorant posts.
Sacking Tuchel after bringing in Auba and then hiring Potter is a bit crazy

CM

Are you enjoying it though? You've spent almost half a billion pounds since the summer and not one of those players even looks like a hit right now. More importantly, the team are sat in midtable without even showing the signs of getting it right. That looks pretty bleak to me.