Television BoJack Horseman

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
So I've been watching this and I got to the rock opera episode last night which is maybe 4 or 5 episodes in.

Does it get better? Like a lot better?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
So I've been watching this and I got to the rock opera episode last night which is maybe 4 or 5 episodes in.

Does it get better? Like a lot better?
If you don't like it by now, you probably won't. There is no drastic change later.
I personally think that it's brilliant

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I mean it's not horrendous but it's easily a few tiers below the likes of Rick & Morty and Archer.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
It has a more structured story that goes through the episodes, but the best thing about this show is definitely the details of that surreal world. A lot like with the Ugly Americans, but better.

Rick & Morty and Archer have more action and pure parody/comedy, BoJack tries to talk about more complicated things with a Woody Allen's tragicomical approach.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
It has a more structured story that goes through the episodes, but the best thing about this show is definitely the details of that surreal world. A lot like with the Ugly Americans, but better.

Rick & Morty and Archer have more action and pure parody/comedy, BoJack tries to talk about more complicated things with a Woody Allen's tragicomical approach.
I'll watch the whole of season 1 and see what I think by then.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Just finished all 3 seasons in about a week.

Laughed once, at the end of the underwater episode (which was fantastic).

Good show, but comes up a little short on the comedy front.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
The second season is beautiful in it's depression though. It gets extremely dark.

caid

That really is a fantastic episode
I didn't laugh out loud at it much either. It made me smile a lot though.
Not sure comedy is the best description, its a strange show. It has a lot of heart or something

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks

You and I must have very different personalities! I hated the underwater episode, and generally the show hilarious (through the depression)

NinjaFletch

I think thats by far the worst episode.

As a TV episode I thought it was fine enough (if not a little boring with a pay off not quite worth the buildup). But as an episode of Bojack it just felt incredibly hypocritical given the shows message.

rcoobc

It was a beautiful episode. I just got bored.

Now this episode on the other hand...

Heartbreaking. Funny. Beautiful. Gut wrenching.

For once in his life Bojack has found something like real happiness. He actually fits in there and has found the family he's needed every since his show was cancelled, the family he never had as a kid.

And somehow, he screws it up. He irreparably breaks the trust (and the relationship) of one his former best friends. He tried to do the right thing multiple times, but maintain it. He leaves in his wake a broken home, just like he left his show family.

Amazing episode.

rcoobc

'That's Too Much Man' is also similarly soul destroying

Zebs

I've completely forgotten how the last series ended, will have to rewatch it before the 4th season. Have Narcos to watch too and have finally convinced the missus to watch Breaking Bad. Anyone recommend a good opticians...?

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I've completely forgotten how the last series ended, will have to rewatch it before the 4th season. Have Narcos to watch too and have finally convinced the missus to watch Breaking Bad. Anyone recommend a good opticians...?

Lucky you.

Zebs

It's baaaaack.

First episode done. I still find it funniest when you're paying attention to the smaller details rather than the script, but I'll still blast through this season in no time.

Dante

Average bang
Can people please spoiler comments with the episode they're talking about? It'll keep the discussion alive without ruining it for people who haven't binged the whole season yet.

Nickosaur

I watched Season 1 and 2 again over the last couple of weeks, whizzing through S3 this week. It's such a great show, and I can't wait for S4.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
It's brilliant.

This season is going for the jugular on current issues a lot more than previous ones which is a change of pace but they've nailed some of it.

I relate to Bojack far too much.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Finished watching season 4 last night and I thought it was the strongest season yet.

Some of the bleak moments were a little contrived, and I think the Princess Carolyn-focused episode could have hit home harder without the collisions of light and heavy atmosphere, but not enough to truly spoil anything. Time's Arrow was an utterly superb episode - not only in terms of tying the season up in a neat little bow, but providing what I felt like was a truly delicate, understanding representation of how dementia can appear in the mind of the stricken beholder.

It also reminded me of something my mum once had an idea for with regards to how we tend to treat the elderly, mainly in care homes. Her idea was that each old person should be allowed to carry around, or have on their person, a picture of themselves from their younger days. As people get older I think it's true that we stop seeing them as people and begin to see them as grandparents we have to look after, inconveniences that should be dumped in care homes so others can take care of them. Time's Arrow reminds you that BoJack's mother is a perfect storm of unfortunate elements as opposed to a force of pure evil.

BoJack's at its best when it delivers curveballs (Fish Out of Water, Stupid Piece of Shit), and Time's Arrow was another.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Finished season 4. Show gets better and better. Time's Arrow is this season's "Fish out of Water" where it's getting loads of praise by critics and rightly so, it's a great episode.

Also nice that the season ended on a somewhat upbeat note for BoJack.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Yeah, it's got to be one of the most underrated shows going. I really didnt like it at first so can understand why some don't get into it, but most people haven't really given it a chance. It's just never gained much traction.