Television BoJack Horseman

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Thanks! I've heard this show is pretty good. Quite liked horsing around back in the day. Think used to have it on BBC 2 during the day and was always worth watching.

Can't believe I made the same joke a year apart

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
So, I'm currently watching Episode 2 of Season 2.

And I'm just going to throw this out there, I think this is going to become one of the best things on TV. It's just a prediction, it certainly isn't better than best at the moment...

But the premise is so genius. And the show, I think, is going to make more and more sense as they go along. I mean forget that he's a horse. I don't know why he's a horse, he didn't need to be a horse except that it's memorable.

He used to be a big TV's sitcom star in the 90's. And that ended. And he's got to continue living his life. It's the black comedy about what happens to the actor after the comedy ends.

The difference between this and family guy or the Simpsons is that, Bojack needs to grow. It's not always back to the beginning again at the start of each episode.

I hope this becomes great.

Although to be honest I'm sure there are other really good animations that I dont watch.
Inspired post Robocop

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
I'm two episodes down already, will be three within the hour.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Finished the entire season in a day. Fantastic stuff. I'd say it's better than the first two seasons, but not as good as season three and four.

Full thoughts inside. Spoilers, obviously.

Before I started it, I thought season five would have to move away from BoJack being the central focus in order to thrive. It felt like they’d explored as many of his angles and nuances as they could in the first four seasons, and that Diane, Mr. Peanutbutter and PC had a chance to become protagonists in their own right. But by focusing on BoJack more than ever, this show has given itself a new lease of life and potentially changed the way shows might write their lead characters at later stages in their series’ run.

We sympathise with BoJack by default because his eyes are the ones we use to experience Hollywoo, but that doesn’t mean he should be allowed to escape from his wrongdoings in previous seasons. At the end of season 4, you think “Yes! Finally! Maybe BoJack isn’t poison! He can move on if Hollyhock is his purpose!” But then season 5 rightly spends all of its twelve episodes asking you why he should be allowed to leave his past behind. He’s left actual victims in his wake but up until now he’s never really had to confront the skeletons in his closet. Sure, they've tortured him and, as he says himself, of all the people he's put through his shit, he's destroyed himself the most - but has he ever really taken responsibility and made an effort to sort his shit out? No.

This season really put BoJack under the microscope, more than I ever thought was possible, and it’s produced bold, ambitious TV that’s still got legs. So fair play to the writers, and everyone else involved really, for giving us the BoJack Horseman season we didn’t necessarily want, but the type of season we absolutely needed in this day and age. Where do we go now? I have no idea. Maybe BoJack heals at rehab while Mr. Peanutbutter fails to grow up, and maybe Princess Carolyn adjusts to motherhood while Diane collapses into a spiral of destruction that BoJack has inadvertently sucked her in to during their time together. But regardless, there's material left yet, and ending the show now would feel as though it was cutting itself short. Here's to more, hopefully.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
The end of episode 11 was finally too much for me. After a while this show can not simply just be Bojack taking two steps forward and then 10 steps back.

And when Diane said
I don't want you or anyone else using the show to justify your shitty behavior
it was a little too on the nose.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
And

I think we all could figure out where the storyline was going when Todd's sex robot was named CEO. While I understand the show needs to be silly to maintain balance I think the sex robot gag was one of the few times the silliness dampened the impact of the wider point they were trying to make.

beedoubleyou

Finished the entire season in a day. Fantastic stuff. I'd say it's better than the first two seasons, but not as good as season three and four.

Full thoughts inside. Spoilers, obviously.

Before I started it, I thought season five would have to move away from BoJack being the central focus in order to thrive. It felt like they’d explored as many of his angles and nuances as they could in the first four seasons, and that Diane, Mr. Peanutbutter and PC had a chance to become protagonists in their own right. But by focusing on BoJack more than ever, this show has given itself a new lease of life and potentially changed the way shows might write their lead characters at later stages in their series’ run.

We sympathise with BoJack by default because his eyes are the ones we use to experience Hollywoo, but that doesn’t mean he should be allowed to escape from his wrongdoings in previous seasons. At the end of season 4, you think “Yes! Finally! Maybe BoJack isn’t poison! He can move on if Hollyhock is his purpose!” But then season 5 rightly spends all of its twelve episodes asking you why he should be allowed to leave his past behind. He’s left actual victims in his wake but up until now he’s never really had to confront the skeletons in his closet. Sure, they've tortured him and, as he says himself, of all the people he's put through his shit, he's destroyed himself the most - but has he ever really taken responsibility and made an effort to sort his shit out? No.

This season really put BoJack under the microscope, more than I ever thought was possible, and it’s produced bold, ambitious TV that’s still got legs. So fair play to the writers, and everyone else involved really, for giving us the BoJack Horseman season we didn’t necessarily want, but the type of season we absolutely needed in this day and age. Where do we go now? I have no idea. Maybe BoJack heals at rehab while Mr. Peanutbutter fails to grow up, and maybe Princess Carolyn adjusts to motherhood while Diane collapses into a spiral of destruction that BoJack has inadvertently sucked her in to during their time together. But regardless, there's material left yet, and ending the show now would feel as though it was cutting itself short. Here's to more, hopefully.
Excellent post. Agreed.

@Keeps It tidy I am afraid I need to stand up for the sex robot. As silly as it was.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Oh my god :lol:

The end of the funeral episode :lol:

kps88

I liked how it addressed the normalisation/glamorisation of shitty behavior. If you relate too closely to someone like Bojack, you probably should get help.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
The creator of Bojack recently mentioned in an interview that he was horrified to learn that Harvey Weinstein was a fan of a show. Knowing that it completely explains why the show went the route it did this season. But, I think the writers overcorrected this season. The only way this season makes sense if in past seasons of the show they glorified Bojack's behaviour but, the show went completely out of his way to not do that in the first 4 seasons. There is going to be idiots who gain the wrong message for your show regardless of what you do. I thin the writers should have had more faith in their audience and themselves as writers. And they arguably end up doing the opposite of what they try to do by ending the season the way they did.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The sex robot was amazing :lol: I thought it was a cheap gimmick at first but the way people responded to it and its rise to CEO throughout the season was great.

beedoubleyou

The sex robot was amazing :lol: I thought it was a cheap gimmick at first but the way people responded to it and its rise to CEO throughout the season was great.
Agreed. Still remains an exceptional show for me. The funeral episode was incredible.

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
Not as good as previous seasons, I felt, but still solid. The Free Churro episode was top notch, though.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
The end of episode 11 was finally too much for me. After a while this show can not simply just be Bojack taking two steps forward and then 10 steps back.

And when Diane said
I don't want you or anyone else using the show to justify your shitty behavior
it was a little too on the nose.
I don't mind this too much, because it felt like a different two steps back to me.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Diane giving Bojack much deserved shit over Sarah Lynn was the highlight of the season.
I thought it was a bit overkill making her the moral beam of the show. Worked much better when Todd tore Bojack a new one at the end of season 3.

Been meaning to do a deeper breakdown of the season here, will do that in a bit

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I thought it was a bit overkill making her the moral beam of the show. Worked much better when Todd tore Bojack a new one at the end of season 3.

Been meaning to do a deeper breakdown of the season here, will do that in a bit
It didn't matter if it was Diane or Meow Meow Fuzzyface saying it to him, it had to be said!

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Renewed for season 6. Love the show but think that should be the final season.

Gotta shit or get off the pot with Bojack's ultimate redemption/destruction at some point.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I started watching this a couple of months back. It's great. Yesterday I watched the second(?) episode of season four (fixing the cottage with the fly guy) and some of the emotions it's touching on are just incredible for a show like this. Todd's sexuality being a part of it as well was not something I saw coming when I watched the first season.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Ohhh, I forgot the new episodes were out now!

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
Definitely the weakest season since season 2 (so far) but that's more of a comment on how strong seasons 3-5 are. It's a little preoccupied with ensuring the main players are back together for the final act, which means it can't fully utilise the cause and effect storytelling methods it previously opted for and made it feel so organic at its best, but that's not a major problem. And having said that, the cause and effect storytelling created its own issues in earlier seasons, like Todd ending up a million miles from the main group by the end of season 4 and - as evidenced by the first episode of season 6 - the main five characters all leading completely different lives just as the story was beginning to wrap up.

As I said, though, this is still such a beautifully layered and carefully written show. I'll need to go back and do a re-watch (probably when my girlfriend comes round to watching this group of episodes) to get into the nitty-gritty but while the writing overall doesn't feel as organic as it once did, the characters feeling so real more than makes up for that. I've loved watching their individual journeys and I know for sure that having them all be so emotionally and geographically distant these past two-and-a-bit seasons will make the inevitable narrowing of the story even more satisfying (kinda like how Game of Thrones' 7th season was driven mostly by characters meeting up either for the first time in a while or the first time ever).

Looking forward to January already!

Dante

Average bang
Finale's set to be released today. Clear your schedules and have a tub of ice cream at the ready.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
It's official.

THE MOST beautiful TV show ever made. Heart-achingly sad. Goosebump-inducingly uplifting. Absofeckinglutely ridiculous. It's perfection. Bravo.