g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Music Bon Iver

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
I agree too. Didn't like his previous album and there's not much on this I like either. I really enjoy For Emma and Bon Iver, and the use of electronic effects on those albums adds a lot. But the newer stuff is very bland to me.

Getting good reviews from what I hear though, so fair play to him I suppose.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I do think it might be his worst album but it's still good. Just a few tracks that aren't as good.

Faith, RABi, Naeem, Hey Ma and iMi are the best songs imo.

U (Man Like), Jelmore and maybe Salem are a tier below. The rest is a bit clunky and meh. We followed by Holyfields is not fun to listen to really.

Nickosaur

His first two albums are just brilliant. Couldn't get into the third, which was so disappointing, to the point that I'm not even bothered about this one.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I might be the only one but I think his new stuff is poor. This album and the last one have been full of songs with weak melodies, little emotional resonance, awful voice distortion and just a lot of experimental shit for the sake of it. "For Emma Forever Ago" and, to a lesser extent, the eponymous second album were so much more enjoyable. Branching out and trying new things is fine but not when you forget what brought you to the dance - moving, melodic songs that can connect with a wide range of people. This current stuff just seems overproduced, harsh on the ears and meandering without proper hooks or much that's easily singable. It's like he's just showing off rather than engaging through his music, to me at least. He's gone up his own backside like a lot of artists, though unlike them, he hasn't built up a substantial back catalogue to warrant such deviation from what made him successful.

I used to love Fleet Foxes but they too have gone a similar way.
Absolutely love Fleet Foxes and every album they've released but I agree with your summary of Bon Iver, and the profession of his career (under this banner). Loved the first two album to bits, and I actually felt he grew and improved with the self titled second album. The last one was pretty good but saw a significant drop in both quality and connectability (?). I haven't heard much of the new album but the track I did hear was more down the lines of the overly indulgent stuff from his recent past. Will listen properly.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Yeah it’s not great. Some artists can’t see the bigger picture and what made them successful in the first place. Growing and experimenting with new ideas is fine but he should be able to listen to what he’s putting out objectively and know it’s mostly garbage that won’t sell well.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Yeah it’s not great. Some artists can’t see the bigger picture and what made them successful in the first place. Growing and experimenting with new ideas is fine but he should be able to listen to what he’s putting out objectively and know it’s mostly garbage that won’t sell well.
Regardless of whether this album is good, I don't think it's a good idea to make music to please others, so to speak. Artists should do their thing without thinking of the audience in my opinion.