Music Bon Iver

RedLars

This thread is almost two years old and has no replies? We suck.

Anyways:

Bon Iver

New, untitled teaser.

Can't wait to hear more about the new album, which should be out this year!

RedLars

Absolutely! Just read an article in Rolling Stone which said the new album will be out in June. Hell yes!

RedNome

Cnut Rating: 9 (Conservative)
Two years and no replies??? fecking embarrassing for this forum that is :nono:

Love Bon Iver, can't wait for the new album.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
When I heard 'Skinny Love' and 'For Emma' I was excited because they are brilliant songs, but I'm disappointed by everything else I've heard the little I have heard. 'Blood Bank' is alright, but the songs all sound too similar and his singing style can get a tad boring, if even a tad self indulgent.

RedLars

When I heard 'Skinny Love' and 'For Emma' I was excited because they are brilliant songs, but I'm disappointed by everything else I've heard the little I have heard. 'Blood Bank' is alright, but the songs all sound too similar and his singing style can get a tad boring, if even a tad self indulgent.
:eek:

I don't think I've ever heard someone who's given the album or Bloodbank EP a proper listen say anything to that effect!

Just gave Kanye Twisted Fantasy album a couple of spins by the way, and I think Lost In the World, where he samples Woods from the Bloodbank EP is the best song on the album! Brilliant use of Woods.

That said, I read that they've released the album art and announced the release date for the new album, but I can't access boniver.org since I heard that.

amolbhatia50k

:eek:

I don't think I've ever heard someone who's given the album or Bloodbank EP a proper listen say anything to that effect!

Just gave Kanye Twisted Fantasy album a couple of spins by the way, and I think Lost In the World, where he samples Woods from the Bloodbank EP is the best song on the album! Brilliant use of Woods.

That said, I read that they've released the album art and announced the release date for the new album, but I can't access boniver.org since I heard that.
I wouldn't call what I've done a proper listen to be fair. A song here and there. It just hasn't pulled me in to listen more. Flume for example is a such a bore. Maybe it's not a good reflexion of the album.

RedLars

For those who didn't know, the album leaked, through iTunes and a feck up from them no less.

Ahead of the release of an album, you've often got expectations about how it will sound. More often than not, those expectations can't really be matched, because they're generally just based on previous work. This album was exactly what I had expected, based on the Vernon's musical progression since I first heard For Emma, Forever Ago, and at the same time without being flat or predictable in any way.

It's not often an album you've got insanse expectations for completely takes you aback, but this one did just that for me. I almost got tears in my eyes upon listening through it the first time. I've never had such a strong, positive reaction to an album before.

Of course it's impossible to predict how well it will sit with me in the future, after a lot of "wear and tear" through excessive listening, but based only on the first few listens this is hands down one of the best albums I have ever heard.

Easy V

Only given it a couple of listens so far, but I'm liking what I hear. I was worried by some quotes I saw from Justin Vernon, saying that he was taking more input from the other band members this time, as opposed to For Emma, which was basically a solo album. It definitely does feel like more of a band this time, and it's probably an improvement. The production is better, which is good, since that was a weak area of For Emma; most of the live performances they did of those tracks sound 10 times better than the ones on the record. Here, you still have that fantastic falsetto, but it's surrounded by a fuller sound. Calgary, the lead single, is great, but my favourite track so far is probably Holocene;

amolbhatia50k

So I want to give Bon Iver another shot. I've heard about 4 songs from the last album. Should I give that a proper listen (despite having heard 'for emma', 'blood bank' and 'skinny love' already) or this new one?

RedLars

Only given it a couple of listens so far, but I'm liking what I hear. I was worried by some quotes I saw from Justin Vernon, saying that he was taking more input from the other band members this time, as opposed to For Emma, which was basically a solo album. It definitely does feel like more of a band this time, and it's probably an improvement. The production is better, which is good, since that was a weak area of For Emma; most of the live performances they did of those tracks sound 10 times better than the ones on the record. Here, you still have that fantastic falsetto, but it's surrounded by a fuller sound. Calgary, the lead single, is great, but my favourite track so far is probably Halocene;

Agree with much of what you said there. This new album has a much fuller and richer soundscape, to use a made-up word. I think, if you've been following Vernon since the release of Emma, it was always gonna go in this direction. This is more similar to almost everything he's been involved in since, even the material he worked on with Kanye posesses a lot of the same characteristics in my opinion.

Live will be extremely interesting. They're doing the tour with a full, nine-piece band, so if they manage to recreate the layered sound of the record live, I think it'll be nothing short of a magical experience. Tickets were put on general sale yesterday, and I already got mine for when they come to Norway :D

Most people I've talked to fall for Holocene immediately, and it's a great one. Personally, if I have to choose one track it would probably be Towers as of right now. Certainly subject to change though!

So I want to give Bon Iver another shot. I've heard about 4 songs from the last album. Should I give that a proper listen (despite having heard 'for emma', 'blood bank' and 'skinny love' already) or this new one?
You're the one who absolute adores Fleet Foxes, right? With that in mind, I'd say the new album is probably more up your alley. Give it the 39 full minutes, one listen, and if you don't like it, well then I don't think Bon Iver is for you. I will also be very surprised!

amolbhatia50k

Agree with much of what you said there. This new album has a much fuller and richer soundscape, to use a made-up word. I think, if you've been following Vernon since the release of Emma, it was always gonna go in this direction. This is more similar to almost everything he's been involved in since, even the material he worked on with Kanye posesses a lot of the same characteristics in my opinion.

Live will be extremely interesting. They're doing the tour with a full, nine-piece band, so if they manage to recreate the layered sound of the record live, I think it'll be nothing short of a magical experience. Tickets were put on general sale yesterday, and I already got mine for when they come to Norway :D

Most people I've talked to fall for Holocene immediately, and it's a great one. Personally, if I have to choose one track it would probably be Towers as of right now. Certainly subject to change though!

You're the one who absolute adores Fleet Foxes, right? With that in mind, I'd say the new album is probably more up your alley. Give it the 39 full minutes, one listen, and if you don't like it, well then I don't think Bon Iver is for you. I will also be very surprised!
Do you have a link to the album? If so, please PM!

amolbhatia50k

So I did listen to the new album.

And I have to say while it bewildered me at first, in due course it did grow on me. But sadly, only half of it did. I like music like this that grows a richer experience with time and has a rich and intricate sound to it. It certainly was the case with Fleet Foxes (except there I fell in love at the beginning and obsessively so with time). My first thought on listening to this album (or parts of it) was of being disappointed. But in time I've learn to love parts of it and as a result be more disappointed with the rest of it.

I would recommend it to everyone because the first half for me is very nice and this kind of music does appeal to me. Perth while I wouldn't say is a great standalone track I would hear too often, it's very good way to start an album. Just brings an emotion and a scape in to set the tone for the rest of the scenery. Minnesota is a good second track that is solid and flows very well. Haleocene is a great song for me. At first it felt like a one trick pony with that one guitar sound going on throughout the song, but the way the voice actually plays about in between in quite lovely. And Towers is a charming and sweet song that lightens the mood. Those four songs are a great start to the album and indeed very fine music. But for me, it just completely loses the way after. Where the first 4 songs grew on me from dull to delightful, the rest of the album just stayed dull for me.

And having gone through this album a few times I can come to a few conclusions about how this band in general appeals to me. When they put it together well (as per me of course) I love what they do. Whether it's Halocene from this album or Skinny Love from the previous, that stuff is just fantastic. But the songs that don't appeal to me, I have no time for them. Which probably goes to say that I like them but they're not completely and wholly my cup of tea. For example, I like his singing style when the song connects with me, but when it doesn't I start to notice that I do prefer a more 'human' voice if that makes any sense. Also their songs drift a little which when I'm not totally gripped does annoy me a tad.

Leg-End

Beth/Rest just seems out of place, I quite like it but its clearly something from the 80's at the end of some happy go lucky love story film. If you listen to it with that in mind and isolate it from the rest of the album its actually quite good.

Calgary is probably my favorite track but Holocene & Perth are top notch too.

RedLars

I couldn't get into Beth/Rest at first, it feels completely out of place. After a while, I started appreciating it though, and then I read Justin Vernons thoughts on it:

My goal with that song was more about making these sounds; that keyboard is all throughout the record but, on "Beth/Rest", it's simplified down to the essence of a guy singing with an acoustic guitar-- except it's a guy with a Korg M1. I also feel really good about the "Beth/Rest" lyrics, because they come from this 14-year-old, innocent place where I'm not trying to say something super complicated. I allow myself to say certain things that mean a lot to me.

Pitchfork: Did you ever worry that "Beth/Rest", which is very sincere, would be mislabeled as ironic or was it more like, "feck it, I love the way this sounds"?

JV: The latter-- and by being overly proud of that fact, I could totally inch myself into a corner of being insecure about it. But I literally just don't give a shit. I love that song. I cried while working on that song. I know what that means, where that comes from, and why you cry for music. It isn't for ironic reasons. It's for either sad or joyful reasons. And that song is joyous to me. I don't think it's going to end up being the biggest statement of my career because I have so much more to learn and grow. But I love it as the last song on this record. It feels so good.
From this (awesome) interview with Pitchfork.

As for the album, it still keeps growing on me. It's so far ahead the rest of the albums I've heard this year. I mean, Fleet Foxes, Iron & Wine, Death Cab +++ have all been good, but this is still in contention for being one of my all time favourites. I absolutely love every single song from the album.

I can't wait to hear them live as a nine-piece band. It should be absolutely magical!

Leg-End

Ok now I have listened to this new album through and through I am convinced it won't be beaten for my album of the year. Definatly a grower and judging by its sales and chart positions its universally well liked too.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
His album is fantastic.

Calgary, Perth, Michicant, Towers... :drool:

RedLars

The time has (almost) finally come. Seeing them live on Thursday!

RedLars

Filmed by one of the guys I was with at the concert.

What a magical night. I can't even begin to describe it. Justin apparently had the flu, and was at the hospital here in Oslo earlier in the day. He looked a little pale when he came on, but by the end of the first song he looked like he was loving it just as much as every single one of us in the crowd were.

One of the absolute best nights of my life, no doubt about it. I wish it would've lasted forever!

Sally Cinnamon

Nice one man, looks like a good venue. Smaller the better. How many were at the gig?

RedLars

Nice one man, looks like a good venue. Smaller the better. How many were at the gig?
It's actually pretty big, but we were at the bottom floor quite near the stage. It's two stories, and it was packed, so probably around 1600 people there I'd assume. Would have loved to see them at a smaller, more intimate venue, but I guess those days are gone. They're too big now, and sell out every single show.

Interestingly enough, Crown Prince Haakon, the heir to the Norwegian throne was there with his missus as well. They seemed chuffed to bits about it the concert as well. Good to know our up and coming monarch has good taste in music!

After the concert we went out to a bar (with almost no people), and they were randomly sat on the table next us. It was a bit mental, because they were leaving as I got up to get a beer, and he litterally stepped back to let me through to the bar.

Insane way to top off an absolute fantastic night :D

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
First album is great.

Second is decidedly meh..

Saw him tour For Emma and it was a great gig.

Sally Cinnamon

I've not even heard the second album yet. Blood bank from the EP is a class song though.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Yep, rest of the EP is average though, a case of having to get something else out to capitalise on the popularity of For Emma IMO.

RedLars

Well BI, BI is above and beyond every other album released for me this year, by far my favourite. It's up there with For Emma in my book.

Blood Bank was perhaps the greatest song/performance in yesterday's set, and we even got Beach Baby as well, which is the second song from the EP. The two others from the EP are a bit bland, but Kanye's version of Woods is great. It adds something to the song.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
How can somebody call the second album meh? Even if it's not as good as For Emma it's only because For Emma was so fantastic.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Just got some tickets for a show in November. Nice.

RedLars

Just got some tickets for a show in November. Nice.
Manchester show?

I really wanted to see them once more on this tour, but it didn't work out. I'm sure it'll be a cracking show. The concert I went to is still a fantastic memory, perfect night :)