Booing our own players would you?

Mmm-Qatarian

I'd happily boo the collective right now. Booing individual players for the current state we're in is asinine because nobody is playing particularly well.

The entire club is completely rotten right now. I understand being frustrated at Rashford, Maguire, Pogba, AWB etc. for their poor form (I also understand that with Pogba there is also the constant touting of himself to other clubs, in fairness) but none of them are single-handedly culpable for the rut we find ourselves in.

We've been stuck with the complacent mindset that all we need to do is replace underperforming players with "better" ones in the transfer window, and it's prevented us from instilling a wholesale cultural revamp that should have taken place years ago. Again, boo the team for their crap performances because right now they do not deserve our cheers, but taking it out on particular players is going to solve absolutely nothing.

Reactions: Invictus

Jonesno.8

I watched Utd Middlesborough probably 16 years or so ago. The crowd booing and Gary Neville going mad at them.at home.

I remember thinking, I wouldn't be doing that myself and then a mate said. Imagine you as the fan are contributing to these players wages as an employer (big stretch I appreciate) you'd want the best from your staff.

I'm still not a booer but it did make me stop. These guys now never mind then are getting payed to play best game in the world. Context wise we all hate losing a 5 a side. I don't see the passion. I hate it but still can't boo. Ironically I'm sure we went to win the CL the year after that game v Middlesborough

klayton88

Anybody who puts even £1 in to following the club, be it tickets, a brew at half time, merchandise or anything else has every right to boo them.

hobbers

If it's true about Pogba leaving after booing, I'll be booing Maguire all game on Saturday!
If things go badly against Arsenal, and Maguire does his usual, I'd expect some serious stick heading his way in the Chelsea game.

Tyrion

I'd happily boo the collective right now. Booing individual players for the current state we're in is asinine because nobody is playing particularly well.
That's my opinion too. It's unfortunate because that this is also true though:

If things go badly against Arsenal, and Maguire does his usual, I'd expect some serious stick heading his way in the Chelsea game.
Because he's the captain and an England player, he's getting a lot more stick than the others even though I don't think he's been much worse than many others.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
I have been supporting United over 50 years.I could never imagine booing our own players till this season. This season however I have seen players who are being paid fortunes not trying a leg for the team, the fans, the shirt or their own fcuking pride!
When I see Maguire lead the side out I cringe.
When I see Pogba ambling about the place without a care I seethe.
I still haven’t booed them but I understand why people do.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I would boo at the final whistle after a loss where they played badly but don't think I could boo an individual United player, unless they kicked a puppy or something.

Utd7

Don’t live in Manchester. But if I did, wouldn’t hesitate to boo. In New York sports, we do it all the time. And it makes athletes in New York mentally tough.

el3mel

He's been free to sign for a new club for the last few months. He's been needing a new challenge since 2 years ago. What exactly is holding him back?
Because contrary to what he, his agent and his fanboys believe, he's not really that wanted by other big clubs. He was the hottest thing when he was at Juve but these 5 years at United have brought his reputation to the mud.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Depends on what the reason is. I don't like De Gea but I would never boo him as he is doing his best and has been a good servant to the club. Pogba on the other hand? I never wanted him back in the first place. SAF let him go for a reason and we never should have brought him back. Players like him optimize everything that is wrong with players today...

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I rather just not turn up to games. I was a season ticket holder back in 1999, and could never fathom missing a game apart from illness or school. I’m glad I’m not able to attend games in person anymore.

these players don’t even deserve the dignity of being booed

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
We don’t like it if players disrespect fans but it’s ok for fans to disrespect players. Oh that’s right they get paid so that makes it ok.

hobbers

We don’t like it if players disrespect fans but it’s ok for fans to disrespect players. Oh that’s right they get paid so that makes it ok.
Exactly.

Even more ok since it's the fans who pay their wages. And without the fans their sporting careers, brands and £10m/year pay packets wouldn't exist, and they'd be stacking shelves in Tesco.

Last edited:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
players are already disrespecting fans by playing the way they are doing. All fans are doing by booing is simply reacting to it.

RedDevil@84

What has booing got to do with disrespecting players? It is criticism.

The fans need to support the club and not individual players. Play well and you get cheers and chants. Play like you don't care, you get booed.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
This.

Players see themselves as entertainers. They thrive on affirmation from the spectators.

So its dumb to boo players if you want to disincentive them -- then you start to wonder why players are so disconnected? Its takes two hands to clap.

Pronewbie

Peep
This.

Players see themselves as entertainers. They thrive on affirmation from the spectators.

So its dumb to boo players if you want to disincentive them -- then you start to wonder why players are so disconnected? Its takes two hands to clap.
I agree that there shouldn't be knee jerk condemnation and booing, but are fans supposed to affirm long periods of mediocrity and bad attitudes from the entertainers? If so, haven't we become the real entertainers?

Kostov

I think if a club is as badly run as Manchester United, why in the name of god is so scandalous to boo overpaid shits? Madrid fans boo their players constantly? Do we seriously think it makes Manchester United better than the rest because we stay silent and do feck all? The club is for the fans, and they should be heard, and one of the loudest making points is booing. That showing against our biggest rivals, deserved pitch invading, not booing.

AndySmith1990

This.

That's such drivel. The players stopped entertaining us long before the booing started. Stop making excuses for people who don't give a toss about you or the club

Kostov

This.

You need to wake up, that's total bullshit.

They don't just disrespect the fans, they disrespect the shirt and the badge. They have been doing that long before any boing, so what should the fans do stay silent? Staying silent and doing shit is one of the reasons for this mess. Or do some of you believe that looking at this from your high horse makes you a better fan? Look at Madrid, they don't tolerate shit, they would burn the club to the ground if this happens to them. That's why they are where they are and we get humiliated by relegation fodlers.

yipthatman

I wouldn't boo a player. I think the job of supporters is to support. However, I totally understand their frustration when they have been watching this dross for ages home and away and been paying for it with time and money.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
I wouldn't boo a player. I think the job of supporters is to support. However, I totally understand their frustration when they have been watching this dross for ages home and away and been paying for it with time and money.
And it's the job of the players to perform for the supporters and show that they actually care.

norm87cro

Id boo everybody in the team except Fred. Despite his limitations he is the only player that doesn't deserve it at this stage

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
You need to wake up, that's total bullshit.

They don't just disrespect the fans, they disrespect the shirt and the badge. They have been doing that long before any boing, so what should the fans do stay silent? Staying silent and doing shit is one of the reasons for this mess. Or do some of you believe that looking at this from your high horse makes you a better fan? Look at Madrid, they don't tolerate shit, they would burn the club to the ground if this happens to them. That's why they are where they are and we get humiliated by relegation fodlers.
But its the players wearing the badge -- not you. So arent you disrespecting the badge the players are wearing by booing them... and the badge?

Whats your contribution to the club and the efforts/performance? Zero I assume.

So what right do you have to boo?

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Under no circumstances... I've only just got over calling for a manager to be sacked for the first time

yipthatman

And it's the job of the players to perform for the supporters and show that they actually care.
Not really, although this would be bloody amazing, they are not contractually obliged to care, its just a job. Unfortunately, the days of playing for the shirt seem to be over and they seem to just play for the money and social media likes. Get a new contract, turn to dog mess. I'm really hoping a stong manager brings back the passion of playing for the team and for the badge.

hobbers

But its the players wearing the badge -- not you. So arent you disrespecting the badge the players are wearing by booing them... and the badge?

Whats your contribution to the club and the efforts/performance? Zero I assume.

So what right do you have to boo?
:lol: These are some absolutely bizarre takes.

Any fan in a stadium who has paid for a ticket has a right to boo, or to jeer or clap or sit in silence or leave 20 minutes in.

We pay for the players salaries, the team only exists because of the fans. If players really see themselves as entertainers first rather than elite sports people then that’s even more reason why they deserve to be booed if they don’t put on a good show.

The era of player power is over. Stop with the doormat mentality.

BigRon1985

It's pointless booing - the players don't care!

They are living in their Ivory Towers stealing a living with no consequences........

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Matchgoing fans have the right to boo, but there isn't really an upside to it. It's counter-productive.

JB7

Well aren't you such a T0p Red? This mentality holds us back as a club. Honestly, some of our fans deserve this.
I love when people on the internet use the term "Top Red", thinking it's an insult to a matchgoer.

JoaquinJoaquin

I love when people on the internet use the term "Top Red", thinking it's an insult to a matchgoer.
It's more the people who think that by having a sense of blind loyalty, makes them superior as a fan like the guy above. Pathetic.

LoneStar

Anybody who puts even £1 in to following the club, be it tickets, a brew at half time, merchandise or anything else has every right to boo them.
This. Literally one of the only ways fans can show their frustration to the players and the club. The whole reason these footballers exist are because of the fans who fund everything in football. You can cheer them on during good times, but can’t show anger or disappointment? feck off!

Ibi Dreams

We've got the right to boo them, I'm just not sure how it will help. The players don't seem to respond well to negativity and criticism. You might say that they should, or that we should then get new players. Maybe that's right, but we're stuck with the ones we've got for now

JB7

It's more the people who think that by having a sense of blind loyalty, makes them superior as a fan like the guy above. Pathetic.
Where's he said it makes him feel superior? You've complete made that up. I agree with him to be honest, don't like booing or calling for a managers head, I wouldn't lump the two together to be honest because sometimes you have to call for the manager to leave but booing is a choice which I've always found somewhat odd. Each to their own but personally feel like there are better ways to voice your displeasure than booing like a child at Halloween, "feck off Pogba, feck off Pogba" being one.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I would normally disagree with booing your own players. But this lot put in zero effort and definitely deserve to be booed, if anything they've gotten away with their underperformance this season. They're lucky they don't play for Real Madrid.

Red Royal

I wouldn't boo them but when I went to the Wolves defeat this season there were lots of fans showing their disgust at the lack of effort.