Borussia Dortmund 17/18 | Sky Germany: Lucien Favre to be next manager

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
Zorc is a fecking genius. There's no other way to put it.

25m € for Yarmolenko? Twentyfive million? In today's market? After having sold Dembélé for 150?

BVB are unbelievable. I don't know how they do it. Yarmolenko is a star, this is an absolutely ingenious signing. The guy is a monster.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool

25m € for Yarmolenko? Twentyfive million? In today's market? After having sold Dembélé for 150?

BVB are unbelievable. I don't know how they do it. Yarmolenko is a star, this is an absolutely ingenious signing. The guy is a monster.
how old is Yarmolemko Now? We used to be linked to him and Konoplyanka a tonne under Rodgers. Although it has to be pointed out deals involving non English clubs don't have the same premiums attached to them

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?

You really think Yarmolenko is that special?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
No idea :D

We'll see.

But I get the feeling he's something like the Ukrainian Reus - he'd be a much, much bigger star already if he'd left his home team earlier.
He screams 'meh' to me but I'll be happy if he proves me wrong.

SambaBoy

Wasn't Konoplyanko the more highly rated of the two? He hasn't exactly done anything in the top leagues since he's joined Seville/Schalke?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
FWIW Yarmolenko has been far more productive in terms of goals and assists for both club and country, but if were honest no one really followed him at Kiev, so we probably just have to wait and see how things play out.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Yarmolenko was amazing for me on FM15 I think. Had him on the left and Berardi on the right :drool:

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
Wasn't Konoplyanko the more highly rated of the two? He hasn't exactly done anything in the top leagues since he's joined Seville/Schalke?
I don't think he was, no. In any case it's a very weak argument to hold it against a player that some other player, who was supposed to be better whatever that means, did not do well.

EmmaandSiggi

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I have my doubts about Yarmolenko. Not that he is a at least decent player, but does he fit in our team structure?

Due to his height he has a physical edge, that most other wingers don't have. But that could be said about Schürrle too. And this physical power comes with a disadvantage in many games: maneuverability. He won't be able to do this quick turns which surprises defenders and are extremly useful in tight spaces. And these tight spaces we will face throughout most of the season. So most of our forward progress has to come throug our passing game, since Philipp is no dribbler either. What is a little bit different than last season.

But my biggest concern is his resale value. Players sign their big contract in exactly his age. That means Dortmund will be his biggest club in his CV. And no club will pay the transfer fee we pay Dynamo, which will mean we have to replace him in 5-6 years without incoming money due to transfers. This income has to be generated in our revenue, which is right now used at a higher percentage for paying wages. Because we don't put extra money in our transfer business. In comparison: Bayern invests net sums in transfers and uses 45% of their revenue for wages, in Dortmund it is 53%.

All in all a decent transfer, especially when you consider the timing late in the transfer window. But nothing to be hyped about.

Reactions: Penna

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Yarmolneko is a great signing. I wasn't sure why he hadn't left Kiev yet. He isn't world class but personally I think he's not a million miles off. Most people will be surprised by how good he actually is. Especially playing with a higher calibre of player. Kiev are a decent side but barely any or them would get near the Dortmund side, barring him.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Yarmolneko is a great signing. I wasn't sure why he hadn't left Kiev yet. He isn't world class but personally I think he's not a million miles off. Most people will be surprised by how good he actually is. Especially playing with a higher calibre of player. Kiev are a decent side but barely any or them would get near the Dortmund side, barring him.
You've watched him a lot?

Aboutreika18

He's definitely someone who looks like he should be playing at a higher level/for a bigger club from what I've seen of him at club and international level.

I think he'll be a solid signing for Dortmund.

EmmaandSiggi

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Are you serious?

If so, I have no words for this.
Those bloody accountants now are even ruining my football experience!

Yes, i think that way. But not because i love numbers that much, i just don't have the ability to ignore them by being a fan of a Tier 2 club. They are the prime reason why players leave the club in the first place. And Dortmund is a Tier 2 club who wants to grow into a Tier 1 club. And for that we have to make make money. A looooot of money.

johanovic

Dortmund are a very well run club with Zorc doing a very good job on the transfer side. Dembele was signed last summer for 13 million pounds and sold to Barca for 95 to 135 million pounds. I´m sure they will use that money well and we should have gotten Dembele before he went to Dortmund last year, I think he will become a world class player in the future and Barca seem to think so.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Dortmund are a very well run club with Zorc doing a very good job on the transfer side. Dembele was signed last summer for 13 million pounds and sold to Barca for 95 to 135 million pounds. I´m sure they will use that money well and we should have gotten Dembele before he went to Dortmund last year, I think he will become a world class player in the future and Barca seem to think so.
From what I read on here, there was little point. Most of Europe's elite were after him, but he (and his mom) decided that Dortmund was the right place for him to be guaranteed to start and develop further. Can't really fault his decision making there either, as he's now gotten his dream move to Barca.

johanovic

From what I read on here, there was little point. Most of Europe's elite were after him, but he (and his mom) decided that Dortmund was the right place for him to be guaranteed to start and develop further. Can't really fault his decision making there either, as he's now gotten his dream move to Barca.
I gather the changes being made to the scouting system are up to a point to ensure that the next wonderkid does not slip through. The point I´m making is that United need to be able to pick up the best young players like we did with Ronaldo at an early age and hopefully we look at the way Dortmund do their job regarding bringing in young players and learn from that. Perhaps Zorc should be signed as DOF?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Those bloody accountants now are even ruining my football experience!

Yes, i think that way. But not because i love numbers that much, i just don't have the ability to ignore them by being a fan of a Tier 2 club. They are the prime reason why players leave the club in the first place. And Dortmund is a Tier 2 club who wants to grow into a Tier 1 club. And for that we have to make make money. A looooot of money.
Assuming that Yarmolenko doesn't flop they got a consistent and reliable player with lots of experience for €25m, a couple of days before the window closes and just after they got tons of cash from Barca. In a market where anyone with two legs costs €30m+..
And you complain about the financial side? Alternatives would've been what? making a move for Draxler? Triggering a release clause, like Gelson Martins for €60m? Paying €40m on a kid like Malcom?

Perhaps Zorc should be signed as DOF?
Good luck with that, he's been at the club for 40 years and never gave the impression that he has ambitions to leave ;)

Last edited:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I have my doubts about Yarmolenko. Not that he is a at least decent player, but does he fit in our team structure?

Due to his height he has a physical edge, that most other wingers don't have. But that could be said about Schürrle too. And this physical power comes with a disadvantage in many games: maneuverability. He won't be able to do this quick turns which surprises defenders and are extremly useful in tight spaces. And these tight spaces we will face throughout most of the season. So most of our forward progress has to come throug our passing game, since Philipp is no dribbler either. What is a little bit different than last season.

But my biggest concern is his resale value. Players sign their big contract in exactly his age. That means Dortmund will be his biggest club in his CV. And no club will pay the transfer fee we pay Dynamo, which will mean we have to replace him in 5-6 years without incoming money due to transfers. This income has to be generated in our revenue, which is right now used at a higher percentage for paying wages. Because we don't put extra money in our transfer business. In comparison: Bayern invests net sums in transfers and uses 45% of their revenue for wages, in Dortmund it is 53%.

All in all a decent transfer, especially when you consider the timing late in the transfer window. But nothing to be hyped about.
Wow.

Unless you're a financial controller or a shareholder, football fans shouldn't care about this (useless) ratio tbh

Also, Bayern has very high revenues as you know so it's not a surprise if Bayern has a lower ratio.

Dortmund is an extremely well-run club nowadays, don't worry about their financial performance

EmmaandSiggi

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Assuming that Yarmolenko doesn't flop they got a consistent and reliable player with lots of experience for €25m, a couple of days before the window closes and just after they got tons of cash from Barca. In a market where anyone with two legs costs €30m+..
And you complain about the financial side? Alternatives would've been what? making a move for Draxler? Triggering a release clause, like Gelson Martins for €60m? Paying €40m on a kid like Malcom?
Where am i complaining?

I already stated, that it is a reasonable transfer that late in the transfer window. But it isn't one with a huge upward potential. But it still leaves us with a large chunk of the Dembele money in the bank account. Which could be used next summer for talent, when we have more time to prepare a transfer and some release clauses are payable (Brandt?). But for that to happen, we have too offload some players. The fear is, that it will be Reus or Pulisic. That would be a harder blow than Aubameyang, because good striking talent is available (Dolberg).

I am still a little bit dissapointed by Mor. He has such a raw talent, but his egoistic style hinder his development. Sad, that he leaves according to rumors to Celta Viga, although understandable.

That leaves us with a huge group of players in the best footballing age (25-30 years old), 16 in numbers, and less talent (18-24 years old), who count for 8 players in the squad. There were times, when it was the other way around and gave me more hope for improvement.

EmmaandSiggi

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Wow.

Unless you're a financial controller or a shareholder, football fans shouldn't care about this (useless) ratio tbh

Also, Bayern has very high revenues as you know so it's not a surprise if Bayern has a lower ratio.

Dortmund is an extremely well-run club nowadays, don't worry about their financial performance
Yeah. It is. Nowadays.

I remember just 12 years ago, i was biting my nails. Because the club was at the brink of bankruptcy. Because the fans didn't care about numbers, as long as good football due to good players was shown. But those players got wages, that the club couldn't afford. Since then i am more guardedly. Burnt children behave different around the oven.

Bayern would put more of their revenue in their wage budget. Why wouldn't they? It would attract players like Neymar. But as United they don't have a sugar daddy, so they have to pay transfer fees with a chunk of their regular revenue, so they can't. Which in the end lowers the ratio.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Yeah. It is. Nowadays.

I remember just 12 years ago, i was biting my nails. Because the club was at the brink of bankruptcy. Because the fans didn't care about numbers, as long as good football due to good players was shown. But those players got wages, that the club couldn't afford. Since then i am more guardedly. Burnt children behave different around the oven.

Bayern would put more of their revenue in their wage budget. Why wouldn't they? It would attract players like Neymar. But as United they don't have a sugar daddy, so they have to pay transfer fees with a chunk of their regular revenue, so they can't. Which in the end lowers the ratio.
I understand :)

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
That leaves us with a huge group of players in the best footballing age (25-30 years old), 16 in numbers, and less talent (18-24 years old), who count for 8 players in the squad. There were times, when it was the other way around and gave me more hope for improvement.
You look way too much at numbers without context imho. Success is the most important thing for a football club's growth (at least if you aren't already at the top). Of course you can have that success with a squad full of youngsters, but it's also a big risk and a lot of players will interpret that as a lack of ambition.
So the club has to find a balance between young players it can develop and more experienced players it can rely on.
Looking at the squad I see:

RB: Passlack - didn't have his breakthrough yet, but the club supposedly has high hopes for him
CB: Zagadou - thus far he's making an excellent impression
LB/CM: Guerreiro
DM: Weigl
DM: Burnic - loaned out to Stuttgart who I would classify as an ambitious midtable team atm
CM: Dahoud
RW: Pulisic
ST: Isak - hasn't played that much yet, but he's only 17 years old and given the fee the club will have a plan for him

That's a promising talent for almost every position and with the rumours around Malcom, Cornet and Sancho I'm fairly certain that the club hasn't stopped monitoring gifted young players.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
They'll sign talents like Brandt, Dahoud Dolberg and the next ones off the production line. They have an excellent scouting system, pick up players that are highly talented for cheap. I often wonder why clubs like us don't go for these players. I mean yes every transfer is a risk but they're at the very top in their age groups. With every other factor considered it makes even more sense. The players I gather aren't as money orientated as made out and make smart moves for their career or don't want to leave the country. (Dahoud Brandt) They know they can get a big move later. Those with bad advisors chase the big money moves straight away.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
They'll sign talents like Brandt, Dahoud Dolberg and the next ones off the production line. They have an excellent scouting system, pick up players that are highly talented for cheap. I often wonder why clubs like us don't go for these players. I mean yes every transfer is a risk but they're at the very top in their age groups. With every other factor considered it makes even more sense. The players I gather aren't as money orientated as made out and make smart moves for their career or don't want to leave the country. (Dahoud Brandt) They know they can get a big move later. Those with bad advisors chase the big money moves straight away.
We've tried.

It turns out Markovic, Moreno, Balotelli, Assaidi, Luis Alberto and Tiago Ilori weren't it.

Jury still out on Origi and Grujic. Can seems to be graduating from this school of thought though.

Dave46

Yarmolenko would do ok in Dortmund for a few years. He is better than Schurrle in my book. Front 4 of Yarmolenko, Kagawa/Gotze, Pulisic and Auba would not be too bad.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
We've tried.

It turns out Markovic, Moreno, Balotelli, Assaidi, Luis Alberto and Tiago Ilori weren't it.

Jury still out on Origi and Grujic. Can seems to be graduating from this school of thought though.
Those aren't the types of talent I'm talking about.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I thought Mor was supposed to be the business?
The problem appears to be that he's a bit full of himself. His (former) agent said that Mor would've preferred a move to Real or Barca this summer but unfortunately they weren't interested in his services.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
The problem appears to be that he's a bit full of himself. His (former) agent said that Mor would've preferred a move to Real or Barca this summer but unfortunately they weren't interested in his services.
Genuine question, why is that any Dortmund player who leaves/left (in last 2-3 years) have some sort of baggage attached to them by club or fans?