Borussia Dortmund 17/18 | Sky Germany: Lucien Favre to be next manager

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Genuine question, why is that any Dortmund player who leaves/left (in last 2-3 years) have some sort of baggage attached to them by club or fans?
You mean like the club attached the strike to Dembele? Or the quote to his own former agent?
Quite the imagination you seem to have.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
You mean like the club attached the strike to Dembele? Or the quote to his own former agent?
Quite the imagination you seem to have.
Tuchel(by club), Mkhitaryan (by fans), Dembele (by fans), Mor (by fans).

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
What kind of a loon do you have to be to think that you could earn some money off some stock market nonsense by murdering a human being? Absolutely horrific stuff. Guess it's a sign of living in today's world.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Dortmund has officially signed Toljan. They have good depth in most positions however I'm not so sure about the CM. They don't have a quality DM as Weigl is still out for a while.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Dortmund has officially signed Toljan. They have good depth in most positions however I'm not so sure about the CM. They don't have a quality DM as Weigl is still out for a while.
Weigl, Sahin, Castro, Rode, Gotze, Kagawa for 3 spots, right?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Let's not forget Dahoud
Oh yeah, knew i was forgetting someone. So really, Dahoud/Castro, Gotze/Kagawa, Weigl/Sahin, plus Rode, and Guerreiro if necessary. Think they're covered in midfield.

What about attack and defence? Auba, pulisic, philip, reus, schurrle, yarmolenko right now, correct? Plus Isak

Defence would be Pisczek, Passlak, Durm, Schmelzer, Guerreiro, Sokratis, Bartra, Toprak, Zagadou?

Heh, all in all i'd maybe look to do something at FB and in attack given how injury prone some of those players are...

Lyricist

Oh yeah, knew i was forgetting someone. So really, Dahoud/Castro, Gotze/Kagawa, Weigl/Sahin, plus Rode, and Guerreiro if necessary. Think they're covered in midfield.

What about attack and defence? Auba, pulisic, philip, reus, schurrle, yarmolenko right now, correct? Plus Isak

Defence would be Pisczek, Passlak, Durm, Schmelzer, Guerreiro, Sokratis, Bartra, Toprak, Zagadou?

Heh, all in all i'd maybe look to do something at FB and in attack given how injury prone some of those players are...
They just signed a fullback in Toljan, and loaned out Passlack for 2 years.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?

They've added Toljan to the team who is a FB. Passlack is going on a loan. Basically Schmelzer/Guerreiro for LB and Piszczek/Toljan for RB with Durm covering a bit of everything. Sokratis, Bartra, Toprak and Zagadou for CB.
But still, the CM looks weak defensively, perhaps a Krychowiak would add some steel to it.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München

Well, for FB they just signed Toljan, so they have Schmelzer/Guerreiro on the left and Pisczek/Toljan on the right. Plus Durm who can play on both sides (he was supposed to leave though, no idea if that may still happen).
So they are very well covered in that area.

In CB, they now have Sokratis, Bartra, Toprak, Zagadou, and Subotic is still there too even if they probably wish they would not have to resort to him at this point. That's also covered.

I think given the fact that Reus is perma-injured and Schürrle is just awful, another attacker would not be too unreasonable.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
His contract is running out and Dortmund apparently already "secured" him for next season, so Hoffenheim were kind of backed into a corner.

He hasn't even been a regular starter for them and they get Passlack for two years in return. Surely not a great deal for them, but not catastrophic either.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
What does that matter? It's a loan deal... 5 million euros is nothing in todays market.

Contract due to expire?
European clubs and I've said it before, but with deals not involving English clubs there seems to be some sort of gentleman's agreement not sell for extortionate prices.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
His contract is running out and Dortmund apparently already "secured" him for next season, so Hoffenheim were kind of backed into a corner.

He hasn't even been a regular starter for them and they get Passlack for two years in return. Surely not a great deal for them, but not catastrophic either.
He'll be great for Dortmund imo and everyone will be doing that old line of "why weren't our scouts looking at him!". Very good transfer.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
At least 100+ times, yes.

Ukrainian league isn't an incredible standard but the top tier of players from it generally do well elsewhere, Mhiki, Willian, Costa etc.
You must watch a silly amount of football.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
European clubs and I've said it before, but with deals not involving English clubs there seems to be some sort of gentleman's agreement not sell for extortionate prices.
You really think that? :D
Most English clubs seem careless with their money and behind on their scouting/squad planning/building, so they pay more.

roonster09

Scout
Didn't stop Dortmund making Barca pay nearly 150 Million for Dembele. It depends on what player is targeted and financial strength of the club.

roonster09

Scout
You really think that? :D
Most English clubs seem careless with their money and behind on their scouting/squad planning/building, so they pay more.
Or maybe youngsters prefer to join the club where they get chances to play for first team and pressure isn't so high to win trophies, also club which is seen as stepping stone for bigger clubs once they improve.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
What about Weigl? Still have to fulfil his potential.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
If I remember correctly he's making his living by betting, which includes all sort of low level leagues, so yeah he's probably watching a lot.
Not that his assessment is always right but I'd trust him if he says he's watched a certain player a lot.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Didn't stop Dortmund making Barca pay nearly 150 Million for Dembele. It depends on what player is targeted and financial strength of the club.
oh definitely there will always be exceptions and I didn't mean the giants. But for instance you won't suddenly get Leverkusen demanding 60 mill for Bellerabi from Dortmund.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Weigl is back in training it shouldn't be that long before he's available. I wouldn't take it as a given that he just waltzes back into the starting lineup though. Bosz's style seems to fit Sahin really well, as its compactness in midfield seems to compensate a fair bit for his lack of mobility thus far.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Weigl is back in training it shouldn't be that long before he's available. I wouldn't take it as a given that he just waltzes back into the starting lineup. Bosz's style seems to fit Sahin really well.
Thought it might. How is it shaping up under him? You're more of an unknown quantity this year, more of a shift in style of play from Klopp/Tuchel who already had there differences.

roonster09

Scout
oh definitely there will always be exceptions and I didn't mean the giants. But for instance you won't suddenly get Leverkusen demanding 60 mill for Bellerabi from Dortmund.
Depends on the contract situation. For example I don't think Wolfsburg would have asked more than 30 Million for Schurrle. Don't think any small Bundesliga clubs would ask for big money for players, obviously they will ask bit more to PL clubs are the clubs are loaded.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
If I remember correctly he's making his living by betting, which includes all sort of low level leagues, so yeah he's probably watching a lot.
Not that his assessment is always right but I'd trust him if he says he's watched a certain player a lot.
Yeah you're right, he just casually watches 100+ Ukranian league games now and then.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Thought it might. How is it shaping up under him? You're more of an unknown quantity this year, more of a shift in style of play from Klopp/Tuchel who already had there differences.
Perhaps a mixture of Klopp and Tuchel. The behaviour against the ball is a lot closer to the former again, while the team also rezained the patience and dominace the latter introduced.
The loss of Dembele means the attacks look a lot more schematic at this point rather than the more chaotic/individual approach of Tuchel who gave Dembele as much freedom as possible to do his dribblings in order to create some space. On the other hand Dembele also lost the ball a lot which then resulted in counter attacks.
So they are a lot more predictable in attack (not having Reus and Dembele/Yarmolenko thus far also played it's part), but in turn suffocate most opposition attacks in their tracks.

FWIW Dortmund supposedly tried and failed to sign Bellarabi in the past.
The thing is that they usually gove themselves several options so that if one club doesn't play ball they move on to another target/plan. Or at least convincingly threaten to do so.

Last edited:

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
I watch 100+ a week (assuming there is enough fixtures on during the week less on quieter weeks, more on busier weeks, it's my full time career. Followed the Ukrainian league for a bit too, although generally I just watched Kiev and Donetsk games after a while as some of the smaller teams were fixing.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool

If you saw what trash Nagelsmann actually started at RB in both legs against Liverpool instead, you have to wonder about the alleged wonderkid coach, as well as his overall tactics. Nagelsmann threw 6´3 CB Iron Ermin Bicakcic at Mane. I dont even know who the bum in the return leg was. He was even worse.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
I watch 100+ a week (assuming there is enough fixtures on during the week less on quieter weeks, more on busier weeks, it's my full time career. Followed the Ukrainian league for a bit too, although generally I just watched Kiev and Donetsk games after a while as some of the smaller teams were fixing.
Wow, fair play that's a helluva commitment even for something you enjoy!

Dave46

Sorry to say, but a lot of Dortmund fans are idiots. Miki was ready to leave after a bad 14/15 season and not many fans cared if he would be sold around 20 mil. Tuchel convinced him to stay and he had a great season. But he was on his last year of the contract and he wanted something new and better pay. Watzke did not offer that, plain and simple. Hummels, who was captain of the team, jumped in front of Miki and put a transfer request to BAYERN.
Watzke also screwed Tuchel and fans did not say much. The club kept Gundogan on payroll, then Gundo Leaves, but fans upset with Miki. Dembele. If a club like Barca are in for you, you let the player go. The same way Sahin went to Real or Kagawa to United. The only curious case is Mor. I think he is immature and full of himself.

EmmaandSiggi

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Genuine question, why is that any Dortmund player who leaves/left (in last 2-3 years) have some sort of baggage attached to them by club or fans?
Huh?

There is huge diffence how players move. Kagawa was well regarded after his move. Because he never gave the impression that Dortmund is his one and only club and the transfer was smoothly. Aubameyang stated several times, that he can imagine doing something different. But he knows that the club needs a sufficient fee to reinvest, so as long there is no good offer, he stays and gives his best. Like a professional who signed a contract.

Lewandowski's agents created havoc in the media, the biggest Dortmund forum had for a time a section called Daily Lewandowski. Stuff about ruining his career, life etc.. Complete nuts.

Mkhitaryan gave clearly the impression, that he was going to stay. Otherwise Watzke would never have said his comments about three players leaving in the same transfer window. Even if you believe only the player, media has reported his will to leave was stated by throwing chairs in meetings. Because Dortmund was considering the crazy thing: Fulfilling the contract.
And his cop out at the penalty shoot out at the Cup final in combination with a move to less sucessful club in the current years left a bitter taste. But it was not a big deal in the fan base. But here it was a big deal, i don't know why.

Dembele went AWOL. Not because the club were shutting down any negotiations. He went missing AFTER the first meeting between Barca and BVB where it turned out, that the positions between the clubs were far apart. I am sorry, but that is just childish and unprofessional. Of course every Dortmund supporter turns against a player, who does everything to prevent Dortmund getting the best deal out of it.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Sorry to say, but a lot of Dortmund fans are idiots. Miki was ready to leave after a bad 14/15 season and not many fans cared if he would be sold around 20 mil. Tuchel convinced him to stay and he had a great season. But he was on his last year of the contract and he wanted something new and better pay. Watzke did not offer that, plain and simple. Hummels, who was captain of the team, jumped in front of Miki and put a transfer request to BAYERN.
Watzke also screwed Tuchel and fans did not say much. The club kept Gundogan on payroll, then Gundo Leaves, but fans upset with Miki. Dembele. If a club like Barca are in for you, you let the player go. The same way Sahin went to Real or Kagawa to United. The only curious case is Mor. I think he is immature and full of himself.
And Tuchel only recently commented that even at BVB's first meeting with Ousmane upon initial signing that he had already made it clear that his big desire/dream was to move to Barcelona

Kostov

Huh?

There is huge diffence how players move. Kagawa was well regarded after his move. Because he never gave the impression that Dortmund is his one and only club and the transfer was smoothly. Aubameyang stated several times, that he can imagine doing something different. But he knows that the club needs a sufficient fee to reinvest, so as long there is no good offer, he stays and gives his best. Like a professional who signed a contract.

Lewandowski's agents created havoc in the media, the biggest Dortmund forum had for a time a section called Daily Lewandowski. Stuff about ruining his career, life etc.. Complete nuts.

Mkhitaryan gave clearly the impression, that he was going to stay. Otherwise Watzke would never have said his comments about three players leaving in the same transfer window. Even if you believe only the player, media has reported his will to leave was stated by throwing chairs in meetings. Because Dortmund was considering the crazy thing: Fulfilling the contract.
And his cop out at the penalty shoot out at the Cup final in combination with a move to less sucessful club in the current years left a bitter taste. But it was not a big deal in the fan base. But here it was a big deal, i don't know why.

Dembele went AWOL. Not because the club were shutting down any negotiations. He went missing AFTER the first meeting between Barca and BVB where it turned out, that the positions between the clubs were far apart. I am sorry, but that is just childish and unprofessional. Of course every Dortmund supporter turns against a player, who does everything to prevent Dortmund getting the best deal out of it.
Less successful? Cringe worthy stuff coming from a Dortmund fan. I genuinely like Dortmund and consider them as my second team, but nonsense like this i don't get it.
How Dortmund are or were more successful than Manchester United? You've won 2 titles in God knows how long, the last one in 2012, since than United won a title in 2013 and won a cup also. Yes we had some rough years with Moyes and LVG, but Dortmund were shambles in Klopp's last season, so combined with Jose's arrival it wasn't that much of a difficult decision for Mkhitaryan to move to Manchester United. There was some stupid statement from the club also that was just bitter in my opinion. Sounds like Dortmund don't mind bending over for Bayern only...

NoLogo

Weigl is back in training it shouldn't be that long before he's available. I wouldn't take it as a given that he just waltzes back into the starting lineup though. Bosz's style seems to fit Sahin really well, as its compactness in midfield seems to compensate a fair bit for his lack of mobility thus far.
Sahin is in good form and imo the better deep play maker of the two so you might actually be right with that. Weigl will have to fight for his spot and make the next step in his development if he wants that spot back but I actually think he is good enough to do that. Another thing is that Sahin will hardly stay injury free for this entire season so Weigl will get his chances to prove he can play that position just as well.

While we are talking about injuries. Reus is out for the first half of the season? Is that still the injury from the cup final last year? Poor guy doesn't seem to be able to catch a break with injuries. :(

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Whenever I hear about Reus he's always injured for half a season. Although he turned up against us in the Europa. Used to be my dream signing.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
English clubs live in a different market because of Sky and BT, the fees in the PL are limited to the PL. On the continent money is a concern for most clubs which means that when it comes to offers their floor is lower.